Land down under..............

jhampa

I don't agree with the comment to which Fi has taken exception, and I think it's great that *she* has pride if she's committing herself to long term life here. Great stuff. But remember that not all living in Australia are "adopting a country" - they might just be living and working there for a bit. Why do you expect them to have pride in said new country? We're not all permanent migrants or prospective citizens. No idea about the circs of the commenter, don't really want to know, he seems to be pretty bitter so best just ignored but I don't see why everyone who happens to be here should be expected to love it

You live in the UK at the moment, don't you? Do you "well up" and feel huge stirrings of pride when you hear "God Save the Queen" or "Jerusalem"??? I wouldn't expect you to for a minute, you're a proud Aussie so no need

If they are not going to live there permanently then at least show respect for your temporary home, and others that live there. If they are staying permanently then there should be some sort of pride in their new home? no?

I'm not saying they should love it but if they don't enjoy it, temporary resident or permanent, then you should certainly look at other options. And yes I know everyones circumstances are different etc etc........

Yes I do live in the Uk. I have respect for the UK, I have pride in the UK, sometimes more than some of the citizens, and I did feel proud of the athletes who have won medals for Britian, especially the ones that get very emotional, and have lived up to the expectations and pressures that they have been under , Sir Chris Hoy, Jessica Ennis, Mo Farrah, the rowers etc etc.

When they were playing God Save The Queen during the Jubilee celebrations I thought it was great. Yes I am a proud Aussie and I always will be but I have the utmost respect for the nation that my ancestors have come from and I have chosen to live in.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest16631

.....wakeboard has put it so much better......and posted quicker...lol........but will share my thoughts fwiw

.................pride and your emotions are individual.............many don't have the enthusiasm and patrism and are content to just accept.........and we all react in different ways............but surely even if your only here to work.........you must have some pride in the work and what it entails.......to be here...........maybe not.....'love it'................but surely have some respect and pride in where your at ............even if it's only within you're work.................emotions affect us all differently..........for many an anthem evokes a memory of a country you have pledged an alegence to..............or one that belongs to your childhood.............for some it's merely a song..........each to there own.......!

Guest guest17301

Nuff said then. Anyway Im going to open the wine now because its the end of my working week and the forecast is amazing so will no doubt get out and about this weekend and enjoy the beauty of this amazing country and thank my lucky stars I have the good fortune to enjoy it....possibly singing a men at work tune under my breath as I go.....

Nuff said then. Anyway Im going to open the wine now because its the end of my working week and the forecast is amazing so will no doubt get out and about this weekend and enjoy the beauty of this amazing country and thank my lucky stars I have the good fortune to enjoy it....possibly singing a men at work tune under my breath as I go.....

Sing it loud Fi.

They were supposedly all aussies in it (not sure about the kids at the beginning) - the idea was that they found/met aussies in different locations in London and got them to sing bits of the song that were then edited. Other bits were done in Australia - all sounded great fun ... have a feeling daughter's bits were mostly cut ... there was definitely a bit she described to us that wasn't there in the end.

Love it though.

Guest The Pom Queen

Another 17 posts deleted from one thread, (not all guilty may I add but were deleted as they were in reference to deleted posts)

This was a lovely thread which got ruined by a couple of people, please remember if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all.

They were supposedly all aussies in it (not sure about the kids at the beginning) - the idea was that they found/met aussies in different locations in London and got them to sing bits of the song that were then edited. Other bits were done in Australia - all sounded great fun ... have a feeling daughter's bits were mostly cut ... there was definitely a bit she described to us that wasn't there in the end.

Love it though.

kids at the begining were aussie school kids. Meriden Anglican school for girls in Srathfield (or so google says)

Magic FM keeps playing this....................... Im grinning like a fool on site .. never thought this song would do that to me :em4500:

[video=youtube_share;oqWOlTqn6YU]

A very catchy tune. i've previously heard a parody of this song--its about kerala in india where men wear a garment called the 'lungi'--its like a sarong tied around the waist.

I dont mind the song, its pretty good, for an 80s song, along with 'Youre the Voice' by that legend of rock Johnny Farnworth.

I do mind the Telstra ad version of the song, mainly because its played every ad break. To date I've seen it 356,578,089 times. It is a tad nauseating to those pure cynics amongst us..

I dont mind the song, its pretty good, for an 80s song, along with 'Youre the Voice' by that legend of rock Johnny Farnworth.

I do mind the Telstra ad version of the song, mainly because its played every ad break. To date I've seen it 356,578,089 times. It is a tad nauseating to those pure cynics amongst us..

Ooh Harpdom the legend is Johnny Farnham !!! gotta love John - he went to school near where I lived - big claim to fame! Havent read all the thread so might be repeating something but I reckon you cant beat Peter Allen singing I still call Australia home for a national anthem - gets me every time

Archived