Light bulbs - What type is most common in Oz? - Screw in or bayonet?

Goochie

I'm currently working my notice at a UK company that distributes light bulbs (among other things). Whilst these have historically been cheap and cheerful things, we have some very new LED bulbs which are fantastic - However they're also pretty expensive to buy from the shops.

I'd like to bring some with me but I'm not sure what type is most common in Australia?

Are they mostly the bayonet type that you find in the UK (B22)?

b22.jpg

Or are they they the ones which screw in like you'd find in Continental Europe (E27)?

e27.jpg

The bulbs used to mostly be the E27 type you show BUT there has been a big push to use low voltage and now LED's. The newer houses will almost certainly have the latest lighting and a lot of the old screw in type bulbs have been replaced with low voltage DC lights with transformers.

You can't call them bulbs, that something you plant in the garden, they are globes!!!

As told to me by one of my Aussie friends. Lol

Ours are all Edison screw. So I don't think there's consistency out there in fittings

Worth bringing good bulbs if you've got loads. Incandescent ones are quite cheap here but being rapidly phased out, low energy ones are quite expensive - although I have been delighted to find a 24w CFT which for the first time ever actually delivers useful light as opposed to the "11w equivalent to 60w" (yeah right) rubbish that is the norm.

Archived