Medical. Is there a drug test?

phillllip

Hi, I'm still waiting for a CO to be allocated. I'm a little bit worried, is there a drug test on the medical? I don't know if I can enjoy a roll of marihuana.

I wouldn't risk it, We had our medicals the end of last month and there wasn't any drugs test (not what i know of) but there is a bloods test...

You dont want to come this far and fail on something stupid, Wait until you have had the meds, then you can relax the way you do...

I had mine on saturday and had a full screen as going as a nurse- so eyes,ears,blood pressure, quick look in mouth, weight,height, bending and squat ,urine test ( i didnt ask what they were testing ) breast screen and chest x ray, bloods ( hiv,hepb and c) they have a chat about lifestyle etc.. I would not think they do but should anything give them the hint you might be or something flags up ( ie your pulse and bp low) they might explore further.. Its a nerve wracking experience and I am sure that you will be thinking you need one to get through it. I would be very careful in my opinion to risk everything for one . Good luck with the medical I am sure you will be fine :D

Guest wairoa

When I applied in 2010, I got all my health check documents in a sealed envelope, which I was allowed to open after the visa had been granted.

Urine test is for Blood, Protein, Glucose. For example if you are diabetic.

My blood test was only for HIV 1/2 Antigen and Antibody. Hep B & C are only tested under certain circumstances. Not sure what they are.

Note that the doctor is supposed to check for "Evidence of drug taking (eg. venous puncture marks) during the physical exam.

When I applied in 2010, I got all my health check documents in a sealed envelope, which I was allowed to open after the visa had been granted.

Urine test is for Blood, Protein, Glucose. For example if you are diabetic.

My blood test was only for HIV 1/2 Antigen and Antibody. Hep B & C are only tested under certain circumstances. Not sure what they are.

Note that the doctor is supposed to check for "Evidence of drug taking (eg. venous puncture marks) during the physical exam.

The process hasn't changed - the urine test is the same (they dip a coloured stick in the urine to test for blood, protein, glucose). It's not sent out to a lab to be tested. As for the blood test, it's only to test for HIV as others have said.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Well if its the same as Alchohol Id have said no. ie the bloods are just for HIV arent they?

This is interesting, are you saying they DO test for HIV ?

Clearly they would tell you if you had it?

Does anyone know?

I had to sign a form to say that if the results come back and I have hiv they have permission to contact my Gp.. for nurses yes you have hiv, hep B and Hep C blood tests. whats interesting is if you work in health/ children etc you must have the checks for these plus TB but if you dont then you dont need to have medicals.. In my opinion I would think they would want everyone entering the country to have medicals. ( i remember going on the tourist visa and having to declare I did not have TB... yet they insist on paper evidence notarised for so many things!)

This is interesting, are you saying they DO test for HIV ?

Clearly they would tell you if you had it?

Does anyone know?

The panel docs are required to tell you if there's anything wrong, including if the blood test comes back positive for HIV.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I had to sign a form to say that if the results come back and I have hiv they have permission to contact my Gp.. for nurses yes you have hiv, hep B and Hep C blood tests. whats interesting is if you work in health/ children etc you must have the checks for these plus TB but if you dont then you dont need to have medicals.. In my opinion I would think they would want everyone entering the country to have medicals. ( i remember going on the tourist visa and having to declare I did not have TB... yet they insist on paper evidence notarised for so many things!)

My wife had a bad case of Herpes Simplex in her face, it was horrible and her GP asked her to consider a HIV test, but are you saying her GP would have been informed from the visa medicals test already ?

Thats what I was told on saturday that if any results came back of concern my Gp would be informed and they ( panel Dr) would contact me to ensure I was told about them. Everytime my work phone rings now I am jumping!!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Thats what I was told on saturday that if any results came back of concern my Gp would be informed and they ( panel Dr) would contact me to ensure I was told about them. Everytime my work phone rings now I am jumping!!

I will tell the wife, she will be relieved, it relates to me being bitten at work by a crazy guy and another one spat in my mouth who has AIDS i know its almost impossible to get HIV like that, but when the wifes GP asked her to consider a test, she asked me about anything that could have caused me to give it to her, she hasn't had any incidents at work.. It would have shown it up on our tests wouldn't it? cheers.

I will tell the wife, she will be relieved, it relates to me being bitten at work by a crazy guy and another one spat in my mouth who has AIDS i know its almost impossible to get HIV like that, but when the wifes GP asked her to consider a test, she asked me about anything that could have caused me to give it to her, she hasn't had any incidents at work.. It would have shown it up on our tests wouldn't it? cheers.

yes it would have shown if you had the tests for the visa which were the full ones. This visa process makes you a little crazy about all sorts and I was freaking about my teeth and whether I could have hep C ( for no reason) .. On a serious note it brought it back to me after saturday that i actually may have something I didnt know I had so I really will be glad to get either a call to tell me something or a visa clearance!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
yes it would have shown if you had the tests for the visa which were the full ones. This visa process makes you a little crazy about all sorts and I was freaking about my teeth and whether I could have hep C ( for no reason) .. On a serious note it brought it back to me after saturday that i actually may have something I didnt know I had so I really will be glad to get either a call to tell me something or a visa clearance!

AHHHH yer worrying for nothing, i hope you hear soon thanks for your help.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
pleasure. this forum is also kind of crazy as its like people i have known for ages and I check mostly to see their good news!

I have just told the wife what you have said, she is a nurse and has just finished a Late shift, she is relieved to hear this, she now remembers when we had our medicals, it was her GP scaring her, it caused her a lot of stress and anxiety. cheers again.

Just to clarify.

There is no drugs test. A reliable, cheap blood test for marijuana does not exist and urine/hair tests are expensive. Believe you me, the clinics performing these medicals do not do anything more than they have to as there is a profit margin involved.

The urine test is a dipstick. Its for pH, blood, glucose and protein. If negative, the urine is discarded. It is NOT sent for drug testing.

The clinic is duty bound to inform you of any aberrant test results e.g. HIV positive.

Jon

Conflict of interest: I am a doctor

I hope you gave the manky ba@$ard miscreants a bit of "Contact Councilling"

bloody european court of human rights needs to be scrapped!

I don't think the urine test is for drugs. I think it is just to check basic medical health of the applicant, well thats what the panel doctor told me.

The panel doctor does asks you about drugs and drink in the questionarrie and may examine your arm for needle marks while taking blood pressure.

Archived