My views of UK after 4x week visit.....

surfndirt

Hi,

Have posted a few things on this forum over the last few months so thought I'd provide my views on the UK after coming back from a 4x week visit (not been back for approx 5 years).

Well, really, nowt's changed from what I saw!

Still 3/4 of the worlds developing nations citizens living in London making the place ultra crowded, very scruffy and generally a shite hole.

Still people doing 100mph in Audi SUV's in the fast lane.

Still boy racers hammering it about in hot hatches (although looked like quite a few more bikes nowadays).

Still heaps of unemployment in the north (apart from Newcastle which is booming by all accounts).

Train still costs the GDP of Luxembourg.

Petrol mad expensive (although a really noticable shift to high mpg cars - so costs less than Oz to run a motor)

Pint's were, on average, about 2.80 so less than half the price of Oz

Cheap pub meals were, still cheap (although flashy meals were about the same as Oz)

Everybody I know were very happy with they're lot TBH. None wanted to leave for the gold plated streets of Oz or anywhere else for that matter.

Massive amounts of national pride seemed to be going down left right and centre - which was really nice and def a change from when I lived there.

Stuff that I didn't like;

Paying to park - everywhere!

Generally felt a bit small and hemmed in

Scally's

Nowhere to ride dirt bikes!!!

Houses still seemed to be way overpriced (although the ongoing de-leveraging will deal with that).

Would I want to move back;

Nope, cos it's kinda like when you leave your home town for the big city to start / progress a career. Going back to that town feels like a step backward, for me - it's all about moving forward so going back to the UK now feels like going back to that home town.

Dallas, Texas for me next... Should get there just in time for the Australian recession / house price crash to kick in.

Cheers,

Surfndirt

Guest guest17301

Good post...I dont expect massive changes will happen in such a short time, funny how you see things a bit differently as an outsider once youve left a place behind....good luck with your next move!

We went back to the UK over Christmas time, we hadnt been back for almost 3 yrs. It was exactly the same as we left, but colder than we imagined ( except they had built a new complex in Urmston)

We couldnt wait to get home after 7 weeks in the Uk, but it was great seeing family and friend's and spending time remembering why we wanted to leave ;)

Hi,

Have posted a few things on this forum over the last few months so thought I'd provide my views on the UK after coming back from a 4x week visit (not been back for approx 5 years).

Well, really, nowt's changed from what I saw!

Still 3/4 of the worlds developing nations citizens living in London making the place ultra crowded, very scruffy and generally a shite hole.

Still people doing 100mph in Audi SUV's in the fast lane.

Still boy racers hammering it about in hot hatches (although looked like quite a few more bikes nowadays).

Still heaps of unemployment in the north (apart from Newcastle which is booming by all accounts).

Train still costs the GDP of Luxembourg.

Petrol mad expensive (although a really noticable shift to high mpg cars - so costs less than Oz to run a motor)

Pint's were, on average, about 2.80 so less than half the price of Oz

Cheap pub meals were, still cheap (although flashy meals were about the same as Oz)

Everybody I know were very happy with they're lot TBH. None wanted to leave for the gold plated streets of Oz or anywhere else for that matter.

Massive amounts of national pride seemed to be going down left right and centre - which was really nice and def a change from when I lived there.

Stuff that I didn't like;

Paying to park - everywhere!

Generally felt a bit small and hemmed in

Scally's

Nowhere to ride dirt bikes!!!

Houses still seemed to be way overpriced (although the ongoing de-leveraging will deal with that).

Would I want to move back;

Nope, cos it's kinda like when you leave your home town for the big city to start / progress a career. Going back to that town feels like a step backward, for me - it's all about moving forward so going back to the UK now feels like going back to that home town.

Dallas, Texas for me next... Should get there just in time for the Australian recession / house price crash to kick in.

Cheers,

Surfndirt

yeah .......generally agree ............only one slight disagreement train prices ........family of 4 to london with the tube ticket from solihull return ......£50 ......dont forget the rubbish weather as well ........in saying all that ...........ON THE WHOLE .....I LOVE IT .

As i said to a family member ,who was on hoiday from oz recenty , having a whinge ......" THE AIRPORTS THAT WAY ....SEE YA"

Nothing like that wehere I live, infact quite the opposite.

aaaahhhhh......i know P.B ......been through stratford on avon this morning ........job in leamington spa ........nip to the subway in stratford for a sandwich ........then down the A34 through gorgeous wooten wawen ......to the equally lovely Henley in Arden ......AERNT WE LUCKY:wink:GODS COUNTRY.........Warwickshire is beautiful ......but keep it to yourself :wink:

aaaahhhhh......i know P.B ......been through stratford on avon this morning ........job in leamington spa ........nip to the subway in stratford for a sandwich ........then down the A34 through gorgeous wooten wawen ......to the equally lovely Henley in Arden ......AERNT WE LUCKY:wink:GODS COUNTRY.........Warwickshire is beautiful ......but keep it to yourself :wink:

Sure is....that 30mph through wooton waken does my head in though......beutiful part of the country.

Good & Bad in both Country's . Oz has dirty places, so does UK. Depends where you live!!!! Ye UK has a lot of Rain, but Oz isn't utopia.

Yeah, that's it hey....

I see you are in Sydney - that's a bit of a special case hey. I guess it is very much the old grass is greener issue playing out for people....

Having said that, (and I'm sure you will agree from Sydney perspective) the cost of living has increased by a very significant margin in Australia over the past few years, that coupled with the very high immigration rate from the Indian Sub-Continent / China - is having a pretty significant effect on general quality of life here at the moment.

Small things I have noticed in my six years include;

- Approx doubling of car rego costs to $700 a year in Vic (that's before insurance etc)

- Trebble of motorcycle rego costs to $500 a year in Vic

- Across the board house price increases of approx 30% in six years with 50% increase in rental charges

- 50% increase in the cost of my big brekky from the cafe down the road!!!!!

- 35% increase in utilities

- 20k traffic jam into the Melbourne CBD from Werribee (everyday, and people sit in this). Was a clear run until the CBD when I got here 6 years ago

- Emergence of the next generation of immigrant slums in Dandenong etc

It's interesting to note (for people reading this in the UK) that NONE of my mates who have been out to visit want to move here due to the cost of living.. Yep, they all surf and ride dirt bikes and what-not and none of em want to move here!

My advice would be, for people with itchy feet - move elsewhere in Europe first i.e.;

- Norway

- Sweden

- Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

- Edinburgh

If you look at those suggestions and comment 'why would I want to move to.........' then, well - have a look and don't just use what the BBC told ya as a reference; or what the 'Life Down Under' TV show is trying to sell you. Cos $70k a year as a tradie with a family in WA is NOT, at all, a fun time......

I agree the cost of living is shocking, couldn't afford to buy even in tHe West that's if I wanted to stay!!Glad I'm going back to Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. My mortgage is less than 1 weeks rent here.

Ha!

Aye, crackin city the toon. Best place to live in the UK IMO.

Was there 4x weeks ago (used to live there like) - we hit up the Vineyard for a few Duvel's then off to that new joint next to the playhouse. Serves beer from all over the world, crackin boozer that one (can't remember the name). Mate of mine is just about to buy a flat in Tynemouth for a monthly mortgage cost of 400 quid. That coupled with running a newer golf diesel (0 road tax and 70mpg) means he's paying two tenths of bugger all out each month and basically having a blast..... Good life in the toon as long as youre earning a few bob (same as anywhere re earning good money though)..... Was ace to have a laugh with all the friendly lads and lasses, good city, good vibes, good cost of living (best deal I got was a bottle of newq brown, white wine for the mrs and a portion of chips n gravey for 7 quid).....hahaha

Anyone would think I'm an alcho but it just grates on you when you can't go to the boozer for a chat with the lads without spending $50 bucks - so you don't. Don't have to drink alot or owt.

It does seem that Oz is a victim of it's own success. But I guess that's what causes booms and busts.

In 2007 - I remember the UK being a very expensive place to live. It seems much cheaper now.

Maybe a recession would be a good thing for Oz?

Guest Shell15
Nothing like that wehere I live, infact quite the opposite.

I've gotta take my hat of to you for persistance pb lol

It does seem that Oz is a victim of it's own success. But I guess that's what causes booms and busts.

In 2007 - I remember the UK being a very expensive place to live. It seems much cheaper now.

Maybe a recession would be a good thing for Oz?

Maybe you are right. Have to say when I when backpacking in 1999-2000 around Oz, was cheap as chips to travel around. Came home(Uk) in 2000, to where we had come from, couldnt settle & underestimated being able to pick up the old life, even after a year! (same people sitting at the bar stools of the local pub, 1yr later!)

We left Uk in 2001 (for good as far as we were concerned!) & stayed in Nz/Oz until last year when we started to become quite disillusioned with Perth after 5 yrs.

On returning to the uk last year with our young family we have found the cost of living far cheaper than Perth which has surprised me no end! (conditioned myself for as long as I can remember that we couldnt live in the UK because it was soooo expensive!)

I feel quite fortunate that we did as much as we did in Oz/NZ at an affordable time & will always have fond memories!

Yeah, that's it hey....

I see you are in Sydney - that's a bit of a special case hey. I guess it is very much the old grass is greener issue playing out for people....

Having said that, (and I'm sure you will agree from Sydney perspective) the cost of living has increased by a very significant margin in Australia over the past few years, that coupled with the very high immigration rate from the Indian Sub-Continent / China - is having a pretty significant effect on general quality of life here at the moment.

- Approx doubling of car rego costs to $700 a year in Vic (that's before insurance etc)

- Across the board house price increases of approx 30% in six years with 50% increase in rental charges

- 20k traffic jam into the Melbourne CBD from Werribee (everyday, and people sit in this). Was a clear run until the CBD when I got here 6 years ago

It's interesting to note (for people reading this in the UK) that NONE of my mates who have been out to visit want to move here due to the cost of living.. Yep, they all surf and ride dirt bikes and what-not and none of em want to move here!

My advice would be, for people with itchy feet - move elsewhere in Europe first i.e.;

- Norway

- Sweden

- Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

- Edinburgh

If you look at those suggestions and comment 'why would I want to move to.........' then, well - have a look and don't just use what the BBC told ya as a reference; or what the 'Life Down Under' TV show is trying to sell you. Cos $70k a year as a tradie with a family in WA is NOT, at all, a fun time......

Great post! We left Perth last year, had changed so much since we first arrived there in 2006. (returned to UK last year) Cost of living increased dramatically for us in that time. There definately needs to be a correction. We left there last year & sooo relieved we did. House prices are coming down over there I believe, but i read an article in the West Australian saying that a Sydney travel company are saying to avoid holidaying in Perth like the plague until the mining boom is over! because of the "massive escalation in the cost of restaurant meals, drinks and hotel rooms in Perth."

Its true that its expensive etc etc.. but.. if you're part of the resources boom...mmm... thats sweet...! ride the boom into the next bust and make 2 to 3 times per year than the ave Au resident.

or as i'm thinking.. get some very cheap property back in blighty for stuff all and sit on it until prices come back.. they always do.. 5 yrs 10 yrs 15 yrs.. in it for the long game

Great post! We left Perth last year, had changed so much since we first arrived there in 2006. (returned to UK last year) Cost of living increased dramatically for us in that time. There definately needs to be a correction. We left there last year & sooo relieved we did. House prices are coming down over there I believe, but i read an article in the West Australian saying that a Sydney travel company are saying to avoid holidaying in Perth like the plague until the mining boom is over! because of the "massive escalation in the cost of restaurant meals, drinks and hotel rooms in Perth."

Yeah, I lived out west last year... Actually came back to Melbourne partly due to the cost of living and partly due to the weather... Too hot for me there.

Regards the correction, I agree. I have been feeling it in me bones for a while now, there's a pretty big train wreck on the horizon for Australia I'm affraid. There's only so long you can go on paying a brick layer $80,000 a year, or an IT contractor $200,000 a year before the country is going to completely price itself out of the global market. That and the totally crazy cost of housing ($800,000 for a normal house in Manning WA, where I got robbed 3x times) is going to unravel in the next 18 months. Funny thing is that everyone is now saying it's going to happen (even on the propaganda box).....

Just finished an interesting analysis of Melbourne's western suburbs property market (heaps of Poms there as the houses are big and look flash), 5715 houses for sale in 2x estates - that's not two towns, that's 2x estates!! These are the estates where, during the week, some people literally can't get out of them in they're cars - let alone get onto the freeway traffic jam to the CBD.

I love this countrydearly and all it has given me but I am honestly questioning my rationale for staying on past the next 18 months......

What-ever you do (as a potential immigrant) don't buy a house when you get here!!!!!

Yeah, that's it hey....

- Norway

- Sweden

- Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

- Edinburgh

Hey surf .......respect your opinions good post ......can i just throw in my best place to live ......

It has to be in Western europe .........much thought

Hey surf .......respect your opinions good post ......can i just throw in my best place to live ......

It has to be in Western europe .........much thought

Sorry pissed now ......that should read FRANCE ......all day long

climate

family life and its importance

art

culture

history

scenery

infastructure

worlds greatest capital city

lifestyle

Yeah, that's it hey....

- Norway

- Sweden

- Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

- Edinburgh

Surf ......enjoy your posts .......they are enlightening ...............i have travelled a bit .......best place to live FRANCE ......( PS if you have read this somewhere else on this post ......iam sorry .....ive been out on an early one .......mrs has gone out .......i have got the kids ......bit pissed ...sorry)

Surf ......enjoy your posts .......they are enlightening ...............i have travelled a bit .......best place to live FRANCE ......( PS if you have read this somewhere else on this post ......iam sorry .....ive been out on an early one .......mrs has gone out .......i have got the kids ......bit pissed ...sorry)

France is lovely but Paris smells of wee and is full of rats.... :0)

Archived