My views of UK after 4x week visit.....

surfndirt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest edwardmaya

Hi everyone I have stayed 5 weeks in Uk and according to My reviews ,Of course,UK has its own beauty, but I do find that it is generally much dirtier, scruffy, unfriendly and run-down. Yob culture (in all walks of life) is celebrated and I would say that petty crime and anti-social behaviour on the streets is more prevelant than SA. Also, it seems that the UK is the only country in the world where the criminal, stupid, and lazy are rewarded.

I'm here for a two week holiday and comparing the Western Suburbs of Perth to a small town in the north of Scotland with high employment is never going to come out as a positive for Scotland but a few things I've noticed - the main street has about 8 empty shops, the rest consists of chairty shops (picked up a great M&S jacket for £8!!) and outdoor gear. The amount of people walking along the street smoking here (and in Edinburgh and Inverness) is alarming. I've seen two of the local pubs have closed down - that was a surprise because one thing the Scots do is drink! The Little Chef has closed down too. Interesting experience - I went to the Dr to see about a chest infection - didn't have to pay, got a presciption for two things and didn't have to pay for that either. It would have cost about $70 in Oz for the appointment and meds. Things I've enjoyed eating - sausages, chocolate and fried potato scones (not all together!). Been amazed at how cheap things like shampoo is! The sun is shining today, the mountains are stunning - but I'm looking forward to getting back on the plane tomorrow.

That's cheap for oz where it s €20

For gods sake if your drinking somewhere the pints are €20, change pubs!!!

I just had a look online for the local pub near where we want to rent in Perth, and its double the price than here in Dublin, but we'd be earning double the price too...

Perhaps the prices for everyting in UK haven't ever gone up? we've suffered high prices in Ireland for years! Australia has just caught on...

Hi,

Stuff that I didn't like;

Paying to park - everywhere!

This makes me spit feathers. Local council have started charging silly amounts for parking in public parks. Don't mind paying a token amount but £5 is getting a bit silly!

For gods sake if your drinking somewhere the pints are €20, change pubs!!!

I just had a look online for the local pub near where we want to rent in Perth, and its double the price than here in Dublin, but we'd be earning double the price too...

Perhaps the prices for everyting in UK haven't ever gone up? we've suffered high prices in Ireland for years! Australia has just caught on...

I have never paid that much for a pint, in Aus, UK, Japan, NZ, Dubai, Maldives, Europe etc and never will.

Guest AKA63029
I have never paid that much for a pint, in Aus, UK, Japan, NZ, Dubai, Maldives, Europe etc and never will.

Well if I ever did pay that price WB I'd expect hot and cold running waitresses, some 'saucy' banter and at least a phone number at the end of the night.:laugh:

ONLY then would I consider drinking again.:wink::laugh:

Well if I ever did pay that price WB I'd expect hot and cold running waitresses, some 'saucy' banter and at least a phone number at the end of the night.:laugh:

ONLY then would I consider drinking again.:wink::laugh:

You just made me think, I have paid over the odds before for a beer, about a tenner I think, and it was not to dissimilar to how you have described above...hahaha

Guest AKA63029
You just made me think, I have paid over the odds before for a beer, about a tenner I think, and it was not to dissimilar to how you have described above...hahaha

I think I saw you in there mate.:embarrassed::laugh:

Surf ......enjoy your posts .......they are enlightening ...............i have travelled a bit .......best place to live FRANCE ......( PS if you have read this somewhere else on this post ......iam sorry .....ive been out on an early one .......mrs has gone out .......i have got the kids ......bit pissed ...sorry)

In your opinion, best place for me is Italy then Germany then the uk then France.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Italy because he is Italian..Im guessing?

I thought he was half English, half Irish and half Australian, lol.

I wouldnt want to live in southern italy as it is a bit corrupt. northern Italy in the alps is very nice as is Sardinia - but that is only Italian in name.\

Germany is a great place I go there regularly. Southern germany, you have great weather, good beer and fantastic mountains etc...

i was glad to see SA has a big immigrant community from Germany, so hopefully get some decent german grub and beer there.

fingers crossed

Guest AnotherKev

Funny Coopers Pale Ale $10 for 1125 mil Jug at my local in Brisbane. Been the same price for 4 years. (Seaview Hotel Shorncliffe)

Talk 12 for a pint now or more...

Maybe $12 a pint at the Breakwater, one of the most expensive pubs in Aus at Hillarys but most nice pubs near the beach will set you back about $8-10. That's usually for either English beer or designer type beer. If you drink VB or something local you would get it for less.

Went to a pub and restaurant (the stringy bark in Wanneroo) at the weekend and the food and beer there were a lot cheaper than anywhere that's near the coast. $8 off any meal over $20 and I bought a pint of James Squire Amber ale, a big glass of white wine and a lemon, lime and bitters for $17. Didn't think that was too bad.

Had the biggest and nicest spare ribs I've had in ages, it cost $75 for 3 of us and I had a starter and my wife and nipper had deserts. Thought it was pretty good value.

http://www.wanneroovillatavern.com.au/dining.html

Archived