First week in Sydney - our experience

Paula and Jay

Hi All,

After being in Sydney a week we decided to put a post of our experiences which will hopefully help / reassure others if they're thinking of doing the same.

Flights with Emirates were great, no delays and no issues with baggage etc. Arrived in Sydney 07:00 and had booked a shuttle to take us to serviced accommodation. Despite the shuttle being an hour late it was ok (but cold!!!). We had booked the Meriton serviced apartments on Campbell Street purely due to the location. I would recommend constantly checking prices because we managed to book through booking.com and they had a flash sale so for 13 nights it was only £63 a night which for 5* accommodation in Sydney is amazing.

When we arrived it was pretty daunting, despite us planning everything to the nth degree we didn't plan for the pure feeling of fear and it's amazing how despite being 2 grown adults we felt like lost children! We just didn't know how to do anything, how to get anywhere, where to shop, it really was a bizarre feeling. We had opened bank accounts with Westpac before we moved so had to do ID checks first thing which was straight forward. We still don't have debit cards as you need a permanent address before they issue one but we are managing without.

Now the rental situation! We had read so many posts on here that the rental market is horrendous and we would struggle getting an apartment in 2 weeks. My advice is to research areas massively when you're back in the uk. We ideally want to live by the beach but for ease we decided to look around the Waterloo and surry hills areas as there tended to be some new developments with open viewings rather than set times. We had emailed the landlord prior tour visit so she knew we were coming. We went on Monday at 9:30 and by 11:00 we had secured a lovely 2 bed. Yes it's not necessarily near the beach but for ease and to stop stressing its ideal. It's a lovely complex with lots of bars, shops, restaurants nearby plus when we walked round danks street in Waterloo and crown street in surry hills it was full of cool bars and couples which is what we wanted. I believe if you're really specific about where you want to live it can be quite a challenge but in our view for ease it was great to secure somewhere so quickly, and we're only renting its not permanent so whist we're living there we can have a proper look at the areas and decide 100% on where we want to live. Bring your $$$ though it ain't cheap and 4 weeks rent as a bond plus 1 months rent in advance is costly but worth it :-)

Its been quite easy to set a lot of stuff up, Medicare took 2 minutes, still haven't done driving license but it's on our list, bought pay as u go mobiles quite easily. My advise to anyone with a smart phone who wants to use it out here - GET IT UNLOCKED IN THE UK! Makes things so much easier!

Started work on Tuesday after landing on the Sunday, was the best move ever as I quickly got into the routine of work and it felt like I lived here instantly rather than thinking I'm on holiday. Paula is finding it a bit tough being on her own in the day but she has a lot of appointments with recruitment agents and a few interviews lined up already so once she secures something and gets into a routine it'll be fine.

I can honestly say that I had real doubts about coming here, saying goodbye to family at the airport, and the flight taking off was emotional and I spent a few hours on the flight secretly getting upset thinking we'd made the wrong move. How wrong I was!! It has honestly been the best thing we have done - I love the place. My work genuinely has the nicest people and my team are lovely - everyone is so willing to help and we have met so many people already - we forgot that there are hundreds of people doing the same thing as us and it only takes a minute to get a conversation started and before we knew it we had plans to meet people. Everyone works really hard but come the weekend it's a different story. It's winter here and weather is lovely - spent yesterday at Bondi just chilling out and today may do the same, whatever takes our fancy!

With regards to the cost of everything, I think most things are similar to the UK. After our 1st shop at Coles we were pleasantly surprised, yes some of the brands are very expensive (coke etc), but you soon adjust to the prices. Plus Paula found a discount chemist so we go there for our toiletries which saves us a lot! The only thing that is a lot more expensive than the Uk is alcohol. Again, we aren't massive drinkers but $9 for a bottle of beer certainly sobers you up! Saying that though most bars have happy hours, which saves u a fortune. Plus they do great food deals, on Tuesday we went to cargo bar in the harbour and had $10 steaks. Believe me, for $10 you are getting a bargain! Really nice meal that we would have paid $30 for! Last night we spent in darling harbour watching the free fireworks, it was amazing, despite the $10 beer haha. I'm English - I have to moan about something!!! :-)

Anyway, anyone thinking of doing it please do, it's been amazing for us, the Aussies have been so friendly and welcoming and it's been a great move. Just remember that lots of people move here so its normally quite easy to sort out most things so dont worry about sorting things out when youre here as you'll sort everything iut quickly and easily! If anyone would like anymore info (sorry for going on so long!),please let us know. Or if anyone fancies a beer (or cocktail in paulas case!),let us know,

Jay & Paula

Glad to hear you've got off to a good start guys. Enjoy the "isn't it cheap" thing while it lasts... I think we came out around 4th in the "world's most expensive cities to live" list a couple of weeks ago :)

Meanwhile, back in England... one month's rain in one day. You, on the other hand, get to wander out to a nice coffee shop and perhaps watch the boats bobbing around on the harbour in 20 degrees of winter sunshine. Ain't life grand?!

I've been here a couple of years now, on the other side of the bridge from you. Feel free to message me if you get stuck with anything...

Thanks for the update Jay - sounds like you're both settling in well :smile:

Nice to read about someone in Sydney as lots of people are migrating to WA at the moment. Sydney is where we are hoping to be based, fingers crossed.

Look forward to reading further updates from you both.

nice to see a positive post! I am coming prob end august on my own can i just ask who you used to find a rental? Its one of my main things I think about as so many negative comments I am wondering how hard it will be! I am looking to go eastern sydney . I opened a westpac account at beginning of year and have been saving a regular amount each month in it so will have enough for rent, bond etc and other things. thanks marion

nice to see a positive post! I am coming prob end august on my own can i just ask who you used to find a rental? Its one of my main things I think about as so many negative comments I am wondering how hard it will be! I am looking to go eastern sydney . I opened a westpac account at beginning of year and have been saving a regular amount each month in it so will have enough for rent, bond etc and other things. thanks marion

The rental market is competitive and it is not like UK rental market if you have any experience of that. But most people find somewhere to live relatively quickly, so there really is nothing to be worried about. Just be organised, with planning your viewings and your paperwork.

Hi All,

After being in Sydney a week we decided to put a post of our experiences which will hopefully help / reassure others if they're thinking of doing the same.

Flights with Emirates were great, no delays and no issues with baggage etc. Arrived in Sydney 07:00 and had booked a shuttle to take us to serviced accommodation. Despite the shuttle being an hour late it was ok (but cold!!!). We had booked the Meriton serviced apartments on Campbell Street purely due to the location. I would recommend constantly checking prices because we managed to book through booking.com and they had a flash sale so for 13 nights it was only £63 a night which for 5* accommodation in Sydney is amazing.

When we arrived it was pretty daunting, despite us planning everything to the nth degree we didn't plan for the pure feeling of fear and it's amazing how despite being 2 grown adults we felt like lost children! We just didn't know how to do anything, how to get anywhere, where to shop, it really was a bizarre feeling. We had opened bank accounts with Westpac before we moved so had to do ID checks first thing which was straight forward. We still don't have debit cards as you need a permanent address before they issue one but we are managing without.

Now the rental situation! We had read so many posts on here that the rental market is horrendous and we would struggle getting an apartment in 2 weeks. My advice is to research areas massively when you're back in the uk. We ideally want to live by the beach but for ease we decided to look around the Waterloo and surry hills areas as there tended to be some new developments with open viewings rather than set times. We had emailed the landlord prior tour visit so she knew we were coming. We went on Monday at 9:30 and by 11:00 we had secured a lovely 2 bed. Yes it's not necessarily near the beach but for ease and to stop stressing its ideal. It's a lovely complex with lots of bars, shops, restaurants nearby plus when we walked round danks street in Waterloo and crown street in surry hills it was full of cool bars and couples which is what we wanted. I believe if you're really specific about where you want to live it can be quite a challenge but in our view for ease it was great to secure somewhere so quickly, and we're only renting its not permanent so whist we're living there we can have a proper look at the areas and decide 100% on where we want to live. Bring your $$$ though it ain't cheap and 4 weeks rent as a bond plus 1 months rent in advance is costly but worth it :-)

Its been quite easy to set a lot of stuff up, Medicare took 2 minutes, still haven't done driving license but it's on our list, bought pay as u go mobiles quite easily. My advise to anyone with a smart phone who wants to use it out here - GET IT UNLOCKED IN THE UK! Makes things so much easier!

Started work on Tuesday after landing on the Sunday, was the best move ever as I quickly got into the routine of work and it felt like I lived here instantly rather than thinking I'm on holiday. Paula is finding it a bit tough being on her own in the day but she has a lot of appointments with recruitment agents and a few interviews lined up already so once she secures something and gets into a routine it'll be fine.

I can honestly say that I had real doubts about coming here, saying goodbye to family at the airport, and the flight taking off was emotional and I spent a few hours on the flight secretly getting upset thinking we'd made the wrong move. How wrong I was!! It has honestly been the best thing we have done - I love the place. My work genuinely has the nicest people and my team are lovely - everyone is so willing to help and we have met so many people already - we forgot that there are hundreds of people doing the same thing as us and it only takes a minute to get a conversation started and before we knew it we had plans to meet people. Everyone works really hard but come the weekend it's a different story. It's winter here and weather is lovely - spent yesterday at Bondi just chilling out and today may do the same, whatever takes our fancy!

With regards to the cost of everything, I think most things are similar to the UK. After our 1st shop at Coles we were pleasantly surprised, yes some of the brands are very expensive (coke etc), but you soon adjust to the prices. Plus Paula found a discount chemist so we go there for our toiletries which saves us a lot! The only thing that is a lot more expensive than the Uk is alcohol. Again, we aren't massive drinkers but $9 for a bottle of beer certainly sobers you up! Saying that though most bars have happy hours, which saves u a fortune. Plus they do great food deals, on Tuesday we went to cargo bar in the harbour and had $10 steaks. Believe me, for $10 you are getting a bargain! Really nice meal that we would have paid $30 for! Last night we spent in darling harbour watching the free fireworks, it was amazing, despite the $10 beer haha. I'm English - I have to moan about something!!! :-)

Anyway, anyone thinking of doing it please do, it's been amazing for us, the Aussies have been so friendly and welcoming and it's been a great move. Just remember that lots of people move here so its normally quite easy to sort out most things so dont worry about sorting things out when youre here as you'll sort everything iut quickly and easily! If anyone would like anymore info (sorry for going on so long!),please let us know. Or if anyone fancies a beer (or cocktail in paulas case!),let us know,

Jay & Paula

Good to hear all is going well. We have used Meriton Apts on every trip to Sydney and can't fault them, we also changed our last booking as they had a sale on, and payed 1/2 of the original quote, so as you say even if you have booked, check nearer the date.

Ref. your Iphone, can you tell me how you got it unblocked here, as my daughter is having problems. Thanks all the best for your future in Oz.

Guest First time Down Under
The rental market is competitive and it is not like UK rental market if you have any experience of that. But most people find somewhere to live relatively quickly, so there really is nothing to be worried about. Just be organised, with planning your viewings and your paperwork.

Hey,

Can i ask what paperwork you needed? I've been in Sydney just less than a week (having moved here from the UK on Monday), and am just starting to look for somewhere to live. I've read you need some kind of renter's pack - is that right? What sort of docs would you suggest it includes?

Any help would be really appreciated :)

Cheers,

Sue

Guest First time Down Under
Hi All,

Jay & Paula

Hi guys,

Great to read that you're both settling in well. I must have landed around a similar time to you guys - I got here Monday afternoon, so this is my first week in Sydney too. I went for lunch in Surry Hills yesterday, and agree it looks a really nice, cool and vibrant area. Popped into a great bar called The Local, which has a fab little rooftop garden - check it out if you guys are kicking about that way (just up from the park). If it's not too cheeky, would you mind me asking what kind of price you're paying for the 2-bed in Surry Hills? I'm interested to maybe live over there (though also like the idea of the beaches - need to find something that'll work commuting-wise though, as I'll be working in Western Sydney). I too have been a bit concerned about how tricky it might be to find somewhere to live, so feel a little better hearing that you got sorted so quickly. Just trying to gauge what's in my budget. I've looked on some of the rental websites and figure if I'm lucky (and dependent on area) then I may get a 2-bed. Otherwise a 1-bed (and perhaps a study) would be great :)

Sorry if it's a bit cheeky to ask about your rent, I know we don't even know each other!! Feel free not to reply if you'd rather not say. Totally fine.

Hope it all continues to go well anyway :)

Cheers,

Sue

Hi Sue, no not at all but I dont know what it's like trying to get an apartment in surry hills - I hear it's quite competitive but I could be wrong. We are in Waterloo about 10 mins walk to surry hills, we're paying $650 a week, expensive but it's close to the bus and green sq rail so all good. Plus it's round the corner from danks street which is similar (not as good), as surry hills. I do like it round there though, it tends to be less touristy so has a real good vibe about the place (Im not having a go at tourists but darling harbour etc is always so busy!! I must be getting old!)! Will take a look at the local pub, sounds lovely! We were there on Saturday, and went the clock, lovely! With regards to the rent pack, we needed my work contract, council tax bills (from the uk), Australian bank details, references, mortgage statements and that was it really. After that it was relatively straight forward, we sign the lease on Saturday at 8am! Excited, but also a bit worried that we're moving into an empty apartment!! Furniture arrives in about 2 weeks (hopefully!). Hope all goes well with you, let me know if you have anymore questions, we may not be able to answer them but it's always nice to talk to someone who's done it I think. Good luck, Paula & Jay x

Hi ramot, yes the meriton is lovely! To unlock the iPhone just contact your mobile provider, if you're pay monthly it's usually free and pay as you go about £15. Hope that helps :-)

Hi, we have also booked Merton on Campbell street for 3 weeks however I would like to know how you booked for airport shuttle. Please can you advise as I would also like to book for the shuttle.

Guest Alice2

Hi Paula and Jay,

What references were these? Personal or work and UK or Oz?

It sounds like the rental process is quite different to the UK but good to hear on the forum so many people getting places with not much problems or delay :)

Thanks.

$9 for a bottle of beer! Tell me where so I don't go in there by mistake! Go for the 'reverse-cool' of drinking schooners of Tooheys New, Carlton or VB! $5.20 in the Strawberry Hills. I had a couple of schooners of Grolsch in The Trinity Bar last night and they were $7 each but they are a bit dearer for a 'trendy' brand. They have Blonde on special some nights for $5 a schooner. Of course, in some of the bars, as opposed to hotels (pubs) they might be dearer.

I only 'found' The Local myself a few months back - they sell all boutique beers I think? No Tooheys or VB! On the corner of Dowling & Flinders Sts, almost too far for me to walk from Elizabeth St. Not really but I don't like crossing Foveaux/Fitzroy Sts, although the Cricketers' Hotel on Fitzroy St is OK.

Danks St is pretty cool too. I sometimes walk down there for a coffee, although again, I prefer to stay 'north of Cleveland and south of Foveaux!' There's a branch of the Danks St Eatery or whatever it's called at the airport I noticed?

Someone mentioned The Clock too? I don't go there so much but on Sundays all their drinks are $5, including all the 'posey' brands.

Archived