Pass mark to drop to 60 points

Raul Senise

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally some good news for prospective migrants.

“The pass mark for points tested skilled migrants who complete an expression of interest (EOI) through SkillSelect will be lowered from 65 points to 60 points from July 1.”

Where did you get the info? Is it legit? Not long ago they were saying that they EXPECT the points to remain the same. It would be fantastic news for some people:wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen
Where did you get the info? Is it legit? Not long ago they were saying that they EXPECT the points to remain the same. It would be fantastic news for some people:wubclub:

I am sure a reputable migration agent like Raul knows what he is talking about

The passmark: 60.

The pass mark for points tested skilled migrants who complete an expression of interest (EOI) through SkillSelect will be lowered from 65 points to 60 points from July 1.

The change applies to those who complete a SkillSelect EOI for one of the new points-based skilled migration visas (subclasses 189, 190 and 489).

A Department of Immigration and Citizenship spokesman said the change to the pass mark was in the context of the series of reforms to the skilled migration program undertaken by the Australian Government since 2008.

“These reforms have ensured the skilled migration program is a responsive and demand driven program,” the spokesman said. “The cornerstone of this migration reform package will be the introduction of SkillSelect from July 1.”

http://www.newsroom.immi.gov.au/media_releases/1063

Guest The Pom Queen

We do have a thread about this in the sticky section of the migration forum, I will merge yours with this then they are all together, hopefully it will prove to be good news for some of you waking up this morning.

might not make a difference for some people but it makes a HUGE difference for us!!! so happy!

we are currently getting my partners skills assessment done so we can claim the extra 5 'partner skills' points for a 175 visa app.

but this means that the 60 points we have already can get us on to the system at least yay!!!!!!

Guest The Pom Queen
might not make a difference for some people but it makes a HUGE difference for us!!! so happy!

we are currently getting my partners skills assessment done so we can claim the extra 5 'partner skills' points for a 175 visa app.

but this means that the 60 points we have already can get us on to the system at least yay!!!!!!

Thats great news, congratulations xx

Yes - but you willl need to wait until 1 July to submit and EOI if you are going to submit your application with 60 points. The new points wont come in to effect until then and will be the 189 visa that you will be looking at.

Yes - but you willl need to wait until 1 July to submit and EOI if you are going to submit your application with 60 points. The new points wont come in to effect until then and will be the 189 visa that you will be looking at.

yes i know, thanks for that. still great news though!!

Do you have to pay DIAC when you submit your EOI or when you are invited to apply? If its the latter then fine. If its the former then it sounds like a money making scam!

Regards,

Coastie

you don't pay anything for EOI, its only when you are invited to make an application and you lodge it with DIAC that you have to pay :)

yes i know, thanks for that. still great news though!!

There is so many people in a rush to get their applications in by 1 July, just wouldnt want people to make a mistake by not waiting the few weeks as there is no refunds in visa application charge.

Good news for people to be able to get PR straight away and for people over 45 to get enough points to be able to apply - currently it is almost impossible for them to get enough points.

If you hold SS before 1 July - then after you lodge EOI you are automatically invited to apply.

Guest Illumanati2

!The pass mark for existing general skilled migration subclasses 175, 176, 475, 487, 885 and 886 will remain at 65 points."

That's for people who have applied before 1 July and are currently going through the system. After 1 July the pass mark will be lowered to 60 and you will need to file an EOI. For some "popular" trades this may greatly affect people, but for others, it could be the best thing that could have happened, esp like my OH who is 42, has all 9's in his IELTS and has an AQF III and wants WA SS, but could only apply for a 475 SS, now he has a much better choice of PR visas available to him with less restrictions - it just gives people more options. The EOI process is still a gamble, but we are willing to take it.

If you hold SS before 1 July - then after you lodge EOI you are automatically invited to apply.

Do you have a reference?

If I understand you correct, then is it possible to lodge a visa application (190) on the 1st of July if someone holds a SS, because the EOI will automatically be granted?

It will also help us as my hubby was struggling to get maximum points for his IELTS so now the results he has will give us the 60 points to apply, we also have SS so will automatically be invited to apply, at last some good news after last years disaster!!!!

My main concern about not making the 1st July deadline is that I am worried that my profession may not be on the required list after the changes. I am a secondary Maths teacher.

The new SOL was introduced a few days ago - Secondary School Teachers are still on that list. But as a Maths teacher you should have no problem being able to get SS.

The new SOL was introduced a few days ago - Secondary School Teachers are still on that list. But as a Maths teacher you should have no problem being able to get SS.

Thanks for that, don't know if we are going to go for state sponsorship now as we want to go to WA but teachers are not on their list.

Guest newaussy

If my occupation is only on the state sponsorship list and if I get the state sponsorship, will be eligible to get the 5 points? (my occupation is not on the mail SOL)

thanks guys

Archived