Afraid of Making A Mistake

staffyfee

Just wondering, what is the primary reason for people's moving back to the UK? My partner and I are applying for our visa to move over in a year or so but this will be a one way decision for us. He has worked in the police for 10 years and if we were to go over there and subsequently move back, he would not be able to pick up where he left off and all that prior service would go to waste. We are terrified that if we give it all up and go over there and then decide it's a huge mistake that we will have to come back and basically start all over again with nothing and no careers to come back to.

To make matters worse I spent 7 years living over there and have been back in the UK 5 years now. I can completely identify with the feelings of emptiness and isolation, and of everything feeling superficial and 'like some bizzare coma' to quote one post I have just read! Except now I have a new partner and different priorities to those I had when I was in my 20's.

Any enlightenment?:frown:

Take a 12 month career break and try it out, dont burn any bridges and you should be fine. On hesitates to say that if you didnt like it the first time around you may well not like it the second time either.

If the risk is too great why take it...? adventures are fine but a complete change of life on a 'no way back' may sound exciting but the reality could be somewhat different. People say you only regret what you don't do....I don't believe that to be true. We have no regrets about going to Australia but we did when we were there...luckily we managed to come home but it certainly wasn't easy. If your life is good here and you don't really think Oz is great after living there, I don't understand why you would. Good luck though only you can decide

I can completely identify with the feelings of emptiness and isolation, and of everything feeling superficial and 'like some bizzare coma' to quote one post I have just read! Except now I have a new partner and different priorities to those I had when I was in my 20's.

If you can't take a career break my advice would be to stay in the UK. I'm not sure how having a new partner and different priorities will have any impact on the feelings you describe in the quoted text.

After reading your OP the only thing I am wondering is why you are considering coming back at all given you don't appear to have fond memories of your time here.

Good luck whatever you end up doing.

Just wondering, what is the primary reason for people's moving back to the UK? My partner and I are applying for our visa to move over in a year or so but this will be a one way decision for us. He has worked in the police for 10 years and if we were to go over there and subsequently move back, he would not be able to pick up where he left off and all that prior service would go to waste. We are terrified that if we give it all up and go over there and then decide it's a huge mistake that we will have to come back and basically start all over again with nothing and no careers to come back to.

To make matters worse I spent 7 years living over there and have been back in the UK 5 years now. I can completely identify with the feelings of emptiness and isolation, and of everything feeling superficial and 'like some bizzare coma' to quote one post I have just read! Except now I have a new partner and different priorities to those I had when I was in my 20's.

Any enlightenment?:frown:

I agree with others. If on your previous visit you felt empty, isolated and can relate to comments about being in a coma then I cannot for the life of me work out why you are even contemplating this. You will feel the same in all proability. Australia isn't for everyone, I have heard many people express those feelings, some people just feel that way. Accept that it is not where you are supposed to be.

If you can take a career break and try it! If you can't there is always a way back all be it harder to achieve. You only live once and the most important thing is to be happy!! We moved to Qld thinking no way back and not planning to come back either, but two years later we did because I was so homesick that I couldn't even talk about home without crying. I was painfully miserable and isolated. On arriving home I knew we'd made a mistake and we haven't settled here, so hopefully we'll be heading back next year a little older, wiser and skinter!!

Do what you think will make you happy and remember nothing has to be forever!

It's better to give it a go than regret not having tried. No-one I know has gone and regretted it the very opposite. Life is good there for people who are prepared for the change. Look at it as another city in another country and the opportunities there are IMO worth the risk.

Stay in the UK !! The best place in the world !! Culture, good health system, good education, Best Universities in the world !! Pubs !! Decent Beer - pub grub !!

Enjoyed our 3 1/2 years in Australia but there is no place like home !! We really appreciate what we have in this country !!

Stay in the UK !! The best place in the world !! Culture, good health system, good education, Best Universities in the world !! Pubs !! Decent Beer - pub grub !!

Enjoyed our 3 1/2 years in Australia but there is no place like home !! We really appreciate what we have in this country !!

Brilliant! lurve this post. Trouble is, had to go away for 10 yrs to return to fully appreciate what we have in this country. Still thanking my lucky stars for being back!

Archived