176 lodged May 2012

Jars

So what's happening with the rest of the May team? Who is out here next? X

Hey smithinoz!! Nice to hear about you and good for you now enjoying Perth. My OH and I are departing to our future in Oz next April, our destiny also Perth. For now starting to look for job opportunities in Perth, I am a civil engineer with background mostly as a Project Engineer in the construction of highways and dikes, with experience specially in earthworks. How and where would you recommed me to start? I am Latin american (Bolivian) and really don't know how well that would go with Australian's needs and expectations. However, I must say that I am working in the 3rd biggest silver mine in the world in my country (http://www.minerasancristobal.com) as a Site Supervisor of a TSF construction, interacting with professionals of Chile, US, Canada, and Australia of course. Indeed my first boss here was an Australian.

Please, let me know any thoughts about how I can focus my job seek. I would appreciate it a lot. And of course, It would be nice for us to meet you and your familiy once getting to Perth. Also, finding a place to live seems very difficult since we aren't there. I am planning to rent some place for about 2 months at the begging and once getting to know Perth, rent a more stable home.

Haven't heard about all the rest of you!! Hope everybody is going great!! I am still here just watching in silence jaja

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all! Been nearly a month since we touched down in Melbourne on a windy Wednesday night. Still loving it here but trying to get used to the crazy Melb weather - one day it's freezing, the next day it's boiling and sometimes you get both in the same day! Have done a bit of travelling around - spending the weekend driving the Great Ocean Road. Highly recommend it, it's quite beautiful here! And seeing roos and koalas and wallabies and emus just roaming around in the wild here is really something!

Congrats to everyone who's already here - sounds like most of us are either in or headed to Perth! Hope you're all enjoying it there! For those of you who are still planning your trips out here, enjoy your last few weeks or months at home and get ready for an amazing adventure! Also have some tips for you, some of which I wish I had known sooner:

1) Try to set up your bank account before you leave. Most of the banks seem to have "migrant banking" departments that handle this. You apply online and they set up the account within a day or two, and you can begin transferring funds to your Oz account right away. I decided to go with NAB because they don't charge any account fees, but Commonwealth Bank seems to have the most ATMs (especially in smaller towns). I don't see ANZ or Westpac ATMs as often.

1a) They generally won't set up a credit card for you until you've been in Australia for at least 3 months and have a full-time job. If you have any regular stream of income coming in however (i.e. you are working from home or maybe you have investments with a steady return) you may be able to get a CC sooner.

1b) If you can't get a CC, try and get a Visa/MC debit card. EFTPOS is accepted almost everywhere (although often with a minimum purchase and/or fee) but a Visa/MC will allow you to make purchases online and overseas.

2) If you can, buy any clothing you need before you come here. You'll be shocked at how expensive it is here. (For example, a pair of regular non-designer jeans is easily around $100 or more.) Same goes for electronics.

3) As soon as you have your visa grant, send in your passports to the nearest Australian embassy to get a visa label inserted. It makes things a LOT easier here, from getting a postpaid mobile phone to a bank account, etc. The visa grant letter is also annoying to have to carry around (in addition to the passport) when you need to produce proof of PR status. You can also get the label inserted at a DIAC office here but I think they charge a fee (whereas the embassies overseas do it for free).

4) Not sure how it works in other states, but here in Victoria you can't simply walk in to the VicRoads office to exchange your overseas driver's licence for a local one. You need to book an appointment in advance and they are usually severely backlogged, by a month or more. If you need a licence right away, it is probably best to book an appointment as soon as you arrive, or even before. Having a local licence seems to make some things easier (like getting a postpaid mobile for example) but you are allowed to drive on your overseas licence for a few months.

5) On mobile phones, Telstra seems to be the best in terms of coverage but they are also the most expensive. Optus is the next best and is cheaper. Vodafone is the worst and they don't have 4G yet. Postpaid plans are on 24-month contracts here, so prepare to sign your life away if you want a phone. Prepaid SIMs are widely available however. Amaysim is quite affordable and there's no contract with them - they use the Optus network I believe.

6) This only really applies for Americans/Canadians or people who call the US/Canada a lot - sign up for a Google Voice number before you leave. Then get an app called Talkatone for your smartphone. This basically allows you to call home for free and send texts to US/Canadian mobiles for free as well! Your friends/family in North America can also call/text you on your US-based GV number. It's pretty amazing and the call quality is excellent. And it's all free!

7) Try to set up a short-term rental before you go, for at least a month. (We found ours on Airbnb.) It will take a couple of weeks to get adjusted and you don't want to be scrambling to find permanent housing as soon as you arrive. The rental market in Melbourne isn't too bad at the moment but it seems to be quite bad in Perth.

That's all I have for now. Am sure I'll have more tips soon!

Hi all! Been nearly a month since we touched down in Melbourne on a windy Wednesday night. Still loving it here but trying to get used to the crazy Melb weather - one day it's freezing, the next day it's boiling and sometimes you get both in the same day! Have done a bit of travelling around - spending the weekend driving the Great Ocean Road. Highly recommend it, it's quite beautiful here! And seeing roos and koalas and wallabies and emus just roaming around in the wild here is really something!

Congrats to everyone who's already here - sounds like most of us are either in or headed to Perth! Hope you're all enjoying it there! For those of you who are still planning your trips out here, enjoy your last few weeks or months at home and get ready for an amazing adventure! Also have some tips for you, some of which I wish I had known sooner:

So glad you have settled in well, nycplanner. Time sure flies when you have fun, huh! I am sure your tips will be greatly received by those preparing to come over. There seems to be a big difference between the rental market in Melbourne and in Perth. It is incredibly competitive here in Perth.

Good luck with your new life in this amazing country!

1) Try to set up your bank account before you leave. Most of the banks seem to have "migrant banking" departments that handle this. You apply online and they set up the account within a day or two, and you can begin transferring funds to your Oz account right away. I decided to go with NAB because they don't charge any account fees, but Commonwealth Bank seems to have the most ATMs (especially in smaller towns). I don't see ANZ or Westpac ATMs as often.

1a) They generally won't set up a credit card for you until you've been in Australia for at least 3 months and have a full-time job. If you have any regular stream of income coming in however (i.e. you are working from home or maybe you have investments with a steady return) you may be able to get a CC sooner.

1b) If you can't get a CC, try and get a Visa/MC debit card. EFTPOS is accepted almost everywhere (although often with a minimum purchase and/or fee) but a Visa/MC will allow you to make purchases online and overseas.

2) If you can, buy any clothing you need before you come here. You'll be shocked at how expensive it is here. (For example, a pair of regular non-designer jeans is easily around $100 or more.) Same goes for electronics.

3) As soon as you have your visa grant, send in your passports to the nearest Australian embassy to get a visa label inserted. It makes things a LOT easier here, from getting a postpaid mobile phone to a bank account, etc. The visa grant letter is also annoying to have to carry around (in addition to the passport) when you need to produce proof of PR status. You can also get the label inserted at a DIAC office here but I think they charge a fee (whereas the embassies overseas do it for free).

4) Not sure how it works in other states, but here in Victoria you can't simply walk in to the VicRoads office to exchange your overseas driver's licence for a local one. You need to book an appointment in advance and they are usually severely backlogged, by a month or more. If you need a licence right away, it is probably best to book an appointment as soon as you arrive, or even before. Having a local licence seems to make some things easier (like getting a postpaid mobile for example) but you are allowed to drive on your overseas licence for a few months.

5) On mobile phones, Telstra seems to be the best in terms of coverage but they are also the most expensive. Optus is the next best and is cheaper. Vodafone is the worst and they don't have 4G yet. Postpaid plans are on 24-month contracts here, so prepare to sign your life away if you want a phone. Prepaid SIMs are widely available however. Amaysim is quite affordable and there's no contract with them - they use the Optus network I believe.

6) This only really applies for Americans/Canadians or people who call the US/Canada a lot - sign up for a Google Voice number before you leave. Then get an app called Talkatone for your smartphone. This basically allows you to call home for free and send texts to US/Canadian mobiles for free as well! Your friends/family in North America can also call/text you on your US-based GV number. It's pretty amazing and the call quality is excellent. And it's all free!

7) Try to set up a short-term rental before you go, for at least a month. (We found ours on Airbnb.) It will take a couple of weeks to get adjusted and you don't want to be scrambling to find permanent housing as soon as you arrive. The rental market in Melbourne isn't too bad at the moment but it seems to be quite bad in Perth.

Hi nycplanner

We're heading to Melbourne in late Jan/early Feb so really interested in your posts. We haven't booked our holiday accommodation yet but I've been looking at the site you used. They have some great properties and seem very reasonable compared to some I've seen. Do you think it will take you a month to find a rental? We'll have a one-year old by the time we arrive so wondering how feasible viewings will be with a baby.

I'm interested in what you've said about your passport as I presumed we wouldn't need anything other than our passports. Was it for anything specific like house rentals or just for mobile phone?

Glad to hear the weather is as crazy as everyone says it is and looking forward to leaving the UK in December.

Hi nycplanner

We're heading to Melbourne in late Jan/early Feb so really interested in your posts. We haven't booked our holiday accommodation yet but I've been looking at the site you used. They have some great properties and seem very reasonable compared to some I've seen. Do you think it will take you a month to find a rental? We'll have a one-year old by the time we arrive so wondering how feasible viewings will be with a baby.

I'm interested in what you've said about your passport as I presumed we wouldn't need anything other than our passports. Was it for anything specific like house rentals or just for mobile phone?

Glad to hear the weather is as crazy as everyone says it is and looking forward to leaving the UK in December.

Hi redhelen,

I think it would probably take about a month to find a place. Our sublet term ends at the end of November so we'll have to start seriously looking this coming week. There are a lot of available rentals but they do go quickly, so if you see something you like, it's probably best to put in an application right away. The agents often schedule inspections at strange times and it can be exhausting if you schedule 3 or 4 in one day (as we did once) - I would imagine it would be even more tiring with a baby in tow! I don't find the agents to be particularly helpful or accommodating - it can be frustrating at times to deal with them. (I can't believe they get paid to show up at a specified place at a specified time for around 15 minutes and just unlock a door - where do I get this kind of job?!)

As for the passport, various entities often want to see that you are indeed a permanent resident - such as when you're opening your bank account (has something to do with the rate at which the interest accrued on your accounts is taxed by the government), setting up a new mobile, signing up for medicare, and renting a home. The visa grant letter should technically be sufficient - and in most cases it is - but I find it to be a bit more convenient to not have to carry around the letter whenever I need to prove my PR status. I usually have to bring my passport anyway, so it kills two birds with one stone in a way. Plus it's nice to have the label as actual proof - the printed letter seems so much less official somehow!

Let me know if you have any other questions! Happy to help if I can.

So glad you have settled in well, nycplanner. Time sure flies when you have fun, huh! I am sure your tips will be greatly received by those preparing to come over. There seems to be a big difference between the rental market in Melbourne and in Perth. It is incredibly competitive here in Perth.

Good luck with your new life in this amazing country!

Thanks Jars! Sounds like you are also settling in well! Hope you're having a wonderful time in Perth.

Nice one nycplanner! Quite neat and undestandable! I hope someone from Perth could give some explanation as yours. I would only like to explain that at least in South America (I live in Bolivia and my nearest AU Embassy is in Chile) once I sent our passports to get the PR labelled on them, the Embassy officials replied that there is no more that label thing and that we only need the number to get a plane ticket and for any other procedure. I knew that the regulations need no more the label, but I tried since my agent told me to get the label if possible as it could be helpful as you say in your post. So, it think it depends on the embassy, in my case both passports were returned from Chile with nothing, they just took a little journey for nothing, jajaja.

By the way, crazy weather over there! Hope Perth gets more regular!! Goog to know from you and enjoy that magic beggining.

Nice one nycplanner! Quite neat and undestandable! I hope someone from Perth could give some explanation as yours. I would only like to explain that at least in South America (I live in Bolivia and my nearest AU Embassy is in Chile) once I sent our passports to get the PR labelled on them, the Embassy officials replied that there is no more that label thing and that we only need the number to get a plane ticket and for any other procedure. I knew that the regulations need no more the label, but I tried since my agent told me to get the label if possible as it could be helpful as you say in your post. So, it think it depends on the embassy, in my case both passports were returned from Chile with nothing, they just took a little journey for nothing, jajaja.

By the way, crazy weather over there! Hope Perth gets more regular!! Goog to know from you and enjoy that magic beggining.

If you can't get the label at your nearest embassy you can definitely get it when you arrive in Australia at any DIAC office. As you know, you don't need the visa label to get on the airplane - and in actuality you don't even need the visa grant letter, I was never asked for it at the airport or at immigration.

Well Hi there guys, not been on here for a little while been so busy...

Well, our little dogs fly out to Sydney on the 20th of November and our flights are booked for the next day 21.11.12 one way to Perth, its all existing stuff, i think the best part was telling the manager im off with the only reply from him was "O great, that's the week Gary's off, that's going to leave us short staffed" Well Penwig (managers nickname), pull your sleeves up and get stuck in then, or should i put off my dream move for a week to help you out, no that's right, pull up them sleeves im offfffffff...

Its hard to try and sell everything that we own, like the washing machine, when do we sell it, the car, my partner needs it for her work so when do we sell that!!!

I found it hard to try and find a holiday let as we have left it late and all the ones that we have seen are a bit high on the pricing list, plus its hard to find somewhere that will allow the dogs, but we have found one in Quinns Rock, its nice but about 40 minute drive to the city centre...

How is it all going with everyone else, i like reading the updates...

Hi, I have experience of 3 & half years as HR Adviser & holding Master Degree in HR . planning to apply by next week for WA skill asses. my points are 50 , now can anybody please advice me the chances of getting state sponsorship.

Guest Flopsie17
Well Hi there guys, not been on here for a little while been so busy...

Well, our little dogs fly out to Sydney on the 20th of November and our flights are booked for the next day 21.11.12 one way to Perth, its all existing stuff, i think the best part was telling the manager im off with the only reply from him was "O great, that's the week Gary's off, that's going to leave us short staffed" Well Penwig (managers nickname), pull your sleeves up and get stuck in then, or should i put off my dream move for a week to help you out, no that's right, pull up them sleeves im offfffffff...

Its hard to try and sell everything that we own, like the washing machine, when do we sell it, the car, my partner needs it for her work so when do we sell that!!!

I found it hard to try and find a holiday let as we have left it late and all the ones that we have seen are a bit high on the pricing list, plus its hard to find somewhere that will allow the dogs, but we have found one in Quinns Rock, its nice but about 40 minute drive to the city centre...

How is it all going with everyone else, i like reading the updates...

Hi sh3p69

Sounds like its all moving on for you which is great. Christmas in the sun will be great fun! It sounds like the biggest plus will be leaving the job so hope walking out on the last day is a great feeling!

We, like you, have been busy here now. We've decided to move out to Perth in January now as our 5yo really wants Christmas here and we were getting worried about the problems with the rental market and the fact that holiday homes are so booked up at that time of year. We could stay with family or friends but with it being xmas we decided against it. We've secured a lovely holiday home in Kinross for mid Jan for 6 weeks which is great cause we'd like to find a rental in Currambine or down to Padbury so we're next to where we're looking. Then hoping to buy after around 6-12 months. We're in the process of renting our property out and selling lots of furniture that we're not gonna need. It's all really exciting and can't wait to get there - just in time for AUSTRALIA DAY!!!!!!

Good luck with the rest of your move. Who are you flying with and did you get a Migrants deal?

:rolleyes:

Hi all, not been on here for a while. Well, we came out one month ago today and have loved every second of it so far!! Perth truly is a wonderful place and we feel so blessed to be here! Lots and lots of happy tears :-) We have secured a fab long-term rental in Baldivis and can't wait to move in! Just need our furniture to arrive (although our furniture will get lost in the house!!). I got a job last week and started today - so all good.

We just love the fact that we can go for a stroll at the beach most days/evenings - sometimes we can even see dolphins!

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!! :wub:

If you can't get the label at your nearest embassy you can definitely get it when you arrive in Australia at any DIAC office. As you know, you don't need the visa label to get on the airplane - and in actuality you don't even need the visa grant letter, I was never asked for it at the airport or at immigration.

Hey, good advice nycplanner, We'll do it as soon as we get to Perth!

Flights booked for Melbourne may 9th, will be staying with friends in Mount Martha to start with, if I get to work in CBD may have to move further up. My manager is still trying to get me a desk in Melbourne office 50/50 I think. See you there nycplanner!

Congrats Lara24. :biggrin:

Not all the May gang have got their visa still Now.

I still haven't got my visa, its almost 6 months after visa application. Not any news from CO.

I haven't been on here for a few months and am just delighted to read that we have our first May gang arrivals. That is just brilliant, good luck and keep us all updated. Also just wanted to let you know:

We got our visa yesterday.....!!!!!!!! OMG what an epic story it has been with us being piggy in the middle of various disputes (none to do with us directly) and I think we may be the first people ever to have had to write our own skills assessment letter but there you go life is never boring with us around. Hoping to get the house on the market asap and get moving.

We have been away for a few days and just got back late last night so I haven't had a chance to read back a bit on this thread - is that all of us in May now granted?

Congrats Lara24. :biggrin:

Not all the May gang have got their visa still Now.

I still haven't got my visa, its almost 6 months after visa application. Not any news from CO.

Really?! Have you contacted Diac yet? Fingers crossed you hear something soon.

• 2 weeks later...

hey everyone, its mad to think this thread used to be so easy to find when going through the visa process and now there are not anywhere near as much posts as everyone has progressed so much. To those who have yet to get their visas, i can't imagine how you are feeling but no doubt super frustrated so i want to wish you all the best of luck and hopefully christmas will come early and give you your grants!!!!

Just wondering if there are many here in perth that may want to met up december time as planned????

Archived