176 lodged May 2012

Jars

We used Airbnb and I highly recommend it. Our rental was exactly as advertised and Airbnb is a pretty legit site so if, for some reason, something goes wrong, they'll be able to handle it for you.

Thank you nycplanner, I think I'll go with that option. How are things going in Melbourne?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mille x, I guess airbnb is ok. Did you use it for your first accommodation in Oz? What do you think of 400$/week just a bedroom and a bathroom? all the rest shared in a house in Como suburb (Perth)?

I didn't use them when we arrived in Oz because I was able to stay with family but have used them in U.S and Europe before. We are in Queensland so sorry can't help much with what you might expect to pay in Perth but it sounds reasonable to me.

Best of luck

Millie x

Thank you nycplanner, I think I'll go with that option. How are things going in Melbourne?

Things are great! Summer's definitely arrived - it was 40 yesterday! We paid $400/week for our Airbnb spot here (also 1 bed/1 bath) so I think your rental seems reasonable.

Hey May Gang!!

Heard that most of you are already in Australia, mainly Perth don't you? Well, my OH & I are departing in March 19th from Bolivia to Perth. Many things have happened, most important I have just finished my job and now preparing everything for our destination journey. I was checking the rental market which found quite difficult currently. Some ideas on how to aim this seek?

I know about domain, realstate, reiwa, and on the other hand there are airbnb and gumtree. We were thinking on getting a furnished place for about a month or two, time enough to get to know Perth better and find a more long term place to stay. However, I found that it's not possible to rent online, I mean it is necessary that we are there, visit the place and apply for the apartment, unit, or whatever. On the other hand, those rentals don't go under 400$/week considering 1-bedroom apartments (which is sufficient for us, it's just the both of us) which is REALLY EXPENSIVE for us. Anyway, the first step is to find a furnished place for at least a month and I only found that on airbnb and gumtree, those prices are usually higher than non-furnished places and usually published with daily prices (I mean short term stays). Most self-contained places (still talking on 1-bedroom) are around 100$/day which means 700$/week, its really crazy!

Frankly, we are kind of worried on that situation, even more considering that we still don't have job offers yet. I am a civil engineer with 7+ years of experience and y wife 4+ (but she doesn't has the Engineers Australia skill recognition yet). So, please any advice on how to start this new life in Perth? I know once getting a job everything should be easier but that it's gonna take a while so, being practical, what would be the best way to find an affordable furnished place of the both of us?

I am starting to think that a double bed room with the other facilities shared in a house will be the best (found it on airbnb at around 400 $/week all services included) but is that webpage reliable? They ask about 6-12% of the total rental price for them, and the property owners seem pretty honest for me.

Best to all of you starting a life in Oz, how are you doing? Please, share something!

Have you come across Ozhouserental? We used it for the first 2 months or so until we found a long-term unfurnished rental - can highly recommend them (not sure what properties they have around $400/wk though but it's worth contacting Tracey to find out http://www.ozhouserental.com/)

Perth is awesome - you'll love it :biggrin:

Hi Folks,

Have Logged-in to this forum almost 3 months after arriving in Perth. It is really an amazing place to be, but at the same time keeps you so much busy in the initial 3 month period.

Jourmey so far has been full of twists & turns, though very exciting, as anticipated back home after getting the approval.

What I've heard from some of my newly made friends, here in Perth, that getting a job is relatively easier from other cities/states in Oz. The pay rates are the highest and life is very calm & laid back. I totally agree with all of these facts.

Initially I planned to come on a visa activation trip then decided to give it a try with my fingers crossed. I now strongly support my decision.

So to all the new comers, members who are yet to arrive and to those whose applications are under process, EAST OR WEST, PERTH IS THE BEST.

With Regards,

vasandanivikram

Hi

I am a May 2012 applicant of 176 SS, WA. My wife and I are moving to Perth in the 1st week of May 2013.

We are really anxious about finding a room on rental; the rent seems to be pretty high. I might be wrong, but I’ve got a feeling that due to the high influx of people in Perth the house owners are overwhelmed and being too choosy and extremely money minded.

I wish to find a room for 2 of us within 30KM radius of CBD and am keen to have your suggestions on how to start an effective and reliable search. I plan to rent for at least 6 months initially, although I have no plan to move out if I like the accommodation.

Since I will not have a job on arrival, I aim to be frugal with the rent and will also accept sharing a house of a cool couple if acceptable.

I am an HR professional and wife is a university lecturer. Looking forward to have your suggestion.

Cheers!

Jack :smile:

Hey Jack,

We were moving to Perth in May as well & was facing the same issue. In my case, I just decided to put off relocation for a while & instead conduct a recce of Perth, so we're off to Perth for a fortnight this time.

You may split your first fortnight between a bed-n-breakfast (http://www.airbnb.com) & then hunt around for some rentals. http://www.realestate.com.au is a nice place to find a house on rent & you're correct that the current influx seems to be overwhelming the supply side of market. AU 300-500/wk seems to the budget range of things in Perth & even if flats are not properly furnished, you can save a fortune by picking up some smart used furniture, usually advertised online or put up on auctions.

I'm an HR professional too, currently with Reckitt Benckiser but landing a job before I land up in OZ seems to be tough, with replies on the same lines - asking me to apply after I arrive.

Hi guys don't know if any looks at this thread much these days-hope the move is going well for those of you who are already over there. this is just a quick update, we have got our flights booked for mid May and also I have had a firm job offer to start in June. I hear the housing situation in Perth is tight - any tips? whoop whoop!

Hi guys don't know if any looks at this thread much these days-hope the move is going well for those of you who are already over there. this is just a quick update, we have got our flights booked for mid May and also I have had a firm job offer to start in June. I hear the housing situation in Perth is tight - any tips? whoop whoop!

Hi there we have ours booked for 25th may aswell going to stay with my aunt & uncle whilst we look for a rental ....some people getting them no problem. What area are you looking at? Well done on the job offer too!

cheers we are going on 22nd a few days before you - we are looking south of the river we liked living in Secret Harbour before but we would be happy with Port Kennedy or Golden Bay etc too, what about you have you decided where you want to be yet?

although they say it is difficult have yet to hear of someone totally unable to get somewhere.

we have family in Yangebup have been looking at Atwell, Aubin Grove and Success but not sure if house prices are too high for when we come to buy, and dont want the boys to have to change schools again if we rent in an area we cant afford to buy. looked at secret harbour and house there much better priced to our budget then someone on another forum put me off a bit saying about burglaries and anti social behaviour.... i know you can get that anywhere but dont know how bad it is , they have been living there 2 1/2 years. Guess we will have to have a drive around when we get there!

Hi we have friends who have lived there years and there have been few problems - i think they are planning eventually to have a police station there too. there are some less nice areas like in any area you go to. We didn't experience any probs and we were there for a year but things can change. I would still go back :)

That's great Waitingawhile and Loulouhew! And congrats on the job offer too, Waitingawhile! I bet you are counting down the days now :-)

Secret Harbour is AWESOME :-) I'm just waiting for everyone to wake up and then we will head down to to the beach at Secret Harbour for the day. I am not aware of any anti-social behaviour in that area, but as you say you get it in any area, wherever you are in the world! We live in Baldivis and love it here too. You ask about the rental market - we were very lucky as we got the first house that we applied for. But I know others aren't so fortunate.

Good luck with the last few months - you will love it over here :-)

Thanks Jars - really my head is swimming with all we have to achieve in the next few months- good to hear you didn't have a problem what do you think swung it if anything?

Not sure to be honest. We didn't offer anything more, we were just lucky, I guess. The next few months are going to be hard, no way around that. But... not long before you can lie on the beach :-) Good luck with the final hurdle

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone is still keeping an eye on this thread but wanted to let you all know that we have at last sold our house and we fly to Perth on the 19th May...............OMG!! Hope everyone from the gang who is already in Oz are enjoying their new life. We have a furnished rental for 5 weeks in Clarkson - fingers crossed we can find a long term one by the end of June.

We have 2 boys aged 1 and 4 (almost 5), if anyone is in the Joondalup area and would like to meet up for a playdate or just an adult conversation over a coffee would love to hear from you. How my eldest is going to cope with no nursery and no friends for the first couple of months is my biggest fear.:sad:

Not sure if anyone is still keeping an eye on this thread but wanted to let you all know that we have at last sold our house and we fly to Perth on the 19th May...............OMG!! Hope everyone from the gang who is already in Oz are enjoying their new life. We have a furnished rental for 5 weeks in Clarkson - fingers crossed we can find a long term one by the end of June.

We have 2 boys aged 1 and 4 (almost 5), if anyone is in the Joondalup area and would like to meet up for a playdate or just an adult conversation over a coffee would love to hear from you. How my eldest is going to cope with no nursery and no friends for the first couple of months is my biggest fear.:sad:

Thats great news! We are flyng 25th May but will be SOR.we have 2 boys 8 & 4 my oldest is very sociable and makes friends wherever he goes but the younger one will better be terrible he cries at nursery now if his friends aren't there :unsure:

Good luck with everything though!

Hello out there! Flights booked for 28th April, few weeks travel then arrive in Perth in May :biggrin: Its been a loooong time coming!! For some reason I have found my self on threads from the darker side of PIO getting terrified whether we are doing the right thing so it's been really refreshing reading back through this thread again! Hope you are all doing well, keep the success stories re the move, accomodation, jobs, lifestyle etc coming! I have to say this is one of the most positive and supportive threads aswell, some people out there in other parts of the forum ready to pounce on others at any given moment :err: Xx

Thanks Lara, congratulations to you too! We have been on similar time frame then, feels really strange to have flights booked and know that you're actually going doesn't it! We're heading to Perth also, staying with family initially, bit anxious about the rental market too as they have a new baby so don't want to impose for too long. Got removal companies coming out over the next few days to give us quotes, still have flat to let / sell plus a car and a van to sell (anyone ship their car?) and jobs to find. Seems there are a few of the May 2012 gang arriving march - may? Really getting exciting now!!

Hi, we are all booked up and I'm taking a breather from sorting out stuff out as the packers come this Friday, we're off to live with my mother I law for 2 months then we fly out to melbourne 9th may, we'll be staying with friends in mount martha. We are renting out our uk house and all those little jobs I've been putting off are rearing their ugly heads :mask:.

perthsunseeker, as for shipping a car I was tempted to ship my 10 year old Safire when I saw the go for $10000, we buy any car will pay £700!, may get 1,200 private. There is a thread on working out if its worth it, it's easy to find.

Thanks Arrumac, I'll have a look for that thread, probably won't take car as we'd either have to reduce amount of other belongings we take or increase container size and either will probably cost us as much as having to buy a new car in the long term. Crazy the difference in used car prices though!! You sound fairly organised. This last few weeks have been exactly that, sorting all the odd jobs around the flat that we've ignored for ages, we were preparing to sell (would have to be a quick sale now mind you) but after speaking to a financial advisor guy at down under live expo now reconsidering letting it.

Lara, just realised you meant which area of Perth - Will be staying with family in cannington but our first rental will probably depend on jobs then we can research properly from there. It's just us two for now so makes it a bit less of a stress I suppose.

Archived