Aussie Driving Licence Suspended - I'm on a 457 visa - can I still use my UK DL?

David W

Hi,

Is there still no requirement to change from a UK driving licence to an Aussie licence while on a 457 temporary residence visa.

I've been here a couple of years on a 457 visa and over that time applied for an Aussie licence. Unfortunately I have racked up a number of demerit points which means I'm likely to have it suspended which is very problematic, particularly with work.

I know there was no requirement to convert while on a 457 visa a couple of years but wondered whether that was still the case, and whether I could still drive on a UK licence during the 3 month suspension of the Aussie licence.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

I also intend to apply for PR, if I get PR is there still a 4 month grace period to change over?

Thanks

David

I don't know the answer to your question but I would be very, very careful about driving on your UK licence if you have an Australian one that has been suspended. You could find yourself in more trouble than you bargained for.

I would ask the police in the state you are living.

I don't think you need to (note: caveat is because it may vary from state to state)

Certainly in NSW you do not need to. But, given that you already have, you're probably spannered

Not changing it over in the first place would probably have been the best thing to do. But it's a bit late for that

Hi,

Is there still no requirement to change from a UK driving licence to an Aussie licence while on a 457 temporary residence visa.

I've been here a couple of years on a 457 visa and over that time applied for an Aussie licence. Unfortunately I have racked up a number of demerit points which means I'm likely to have it suspended which is very problematic, particularly with work.

I know there was no requirement to convert while on a 457 visa a couple of years but wondered whether that was still the case, and whether I could still drive on a UK licence during the 3 month suspension of the Aussie licence.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

I also intend to apply for PR, if I get PR is there still a 4 month grace period to change over?

Thanks

David

I would put money on it that as soon as they put your name in a computer if you got caught on your UK license you will get done big time. Also you have the insurance issue to deal with if you have an accident.

I think whether someone om a 457 needs to change their licence over is not the right question! The question is can you still drive after disqualification and I would be very surprised if the answer is yes and if it would be possible to get insurance.

Once you have applied and recieved an Aussie licence you cant revert to using your UK one.

I have heard of a work licence for people due to be banned, not sure of the ins and outs but something along the lines of you can still drive to and from work,so it might be worth you looking in to it.

Cal x

Guest Guest31881

If I read your question correctly, you do not have an Australian License yet? I think you are asking.

1, Do you have to get an Australian license while still on a temporary visa.... No you do not as far as I know

2, if you apply for an Australian Licence and it is suspended immediately can you drive on a UK license.... No, it is you who is suspended from driving if caught and they check your name you will be in big trouble.

That is the way I understand things...

You have the 'Double or nothing' option if you loose your licence through accumulating your allowed demerit points.

Options available

Option 1: Keep your permit / licence

You can elect to keep your licence but you must not accumulate any other demerit points during a 12 month period specified on your option notice or your permit/licence will be suspended for double the time that it would have been suspended under option 2. If you choose option 1 you should call VicRoads on 1300 555 325 (this automated service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week) and confirm your option selection at least seven days before the option 2 suspension is scheduled to commence.

Option 2: Suspend your permit / licence

If you choose option 2 you do not need to respond to the option notice. Your licence suspension will start on the date specified in this notice. The suspension period will be three months for the first 12 points (or 5 points if you have a learner permit or probationary licence) plus one month for every additional four points listed in the option notice.

A demerit point suspension cannot be imposed or operate concurrently with any other licence suspension or cancellation.