What is worth shipping to Aus? £££$$$

SurreyFamily5

What would be worth buying before a move to Australia from the UK? Are bicycles, tools or certain makes of car, garden furniture or even clothes worth spending out on as an investment before you get there and find out that you should have. Alternatively what is cheaper in Aus that you should just sell before you go and replace out there? Would our tv's work or our pc? hmmm

We're intending to take everything! When we go it's our intention to stay there for good and the settling in process will be a lot easier for us if we have all our stuff with us. The cost of replacing our bikes alone would cost more than the container! Im even taking the kids Lego etc they have grown out of because it was always my intension to pass them on to their own offspring one day...how sad am I?

When we moved over to oz we found that these items were expensive : bedding, decent quality furniture, cars, certain electrical items, tools, garden furniture, underwear, paint. When we move back over(we're ping pong poms) we're taking everything with us again, but we've stocked up on the above items. It saves spending money on them all when you get there. We've got rid of our 'tacky/cheap' furniture and replaced it with decent quality furniture that will last. Some of the items we have aren't worth sending over such as our fridge and things in boxes which i still haven't opened. It does all depend on where you want to shop for your things while your out there and some things that are cheap to others may seem dear to someone else. Check out some prices of furniture in oz such as : freedom furniture, harvey norman, furniture bazaar,super amart, fantastic furniture, good guys(white goods shop) bunnings(like b & q). You might be able to find some good prices on there.

We are good for furniture I think (just brought last year) Might be thinking about collecting up a quality tool kit here from Halfords and maybe push bikes too if they are cheaper.

I have aToyota Landcruiser here in the UK but think with the shipping cost it may not be worth it knowing there are plenty in Aus. Are there any cars that are worth considerably more over there to counter the shipping cost (budget maybe £5-10k) per car. I will stock up on quality M&S underwear too thanks ;)

my hubby says that the 2nd hand market for cars is very very strong. My hubby is buying a landrover defender 12mths before we leave(as you need to own a car for at least 12mths before shipping) as this type of 4 x 4 is quite rare. Have a look at carsales.com.au They sell cars on there and you can chec out prices. If you need anymore info PM me.

Natalie

We plan on taking quite a bit with us. Beds, washing machine, tumble dryer, furniture, bikes, tools, garden furniture. From advice from other PIO'ers already there they have said to stock up on bedding, towels and small electrical items as these can be quite expensive and the Aussie bedding might not fit UK beds. We plan to buy a new sofa, fridge freezer and TV when we get there. We came to this decision as our furniture is good quality and if we sold it it would be peanuts, so for us it is worth paying for a container. If you check out some of the stores that have been mentioned, they do offer furniture packages which don't seem too expensive.

Guest suzysmith

I moved here 5 weeks ago. We came out in February on holiday and my husband found a job and a home for us within a week and decided to stay. I went back to the UK for a month to sort out everything that end. During that holiday, we had the opportunity to explore the costs of furniture and smaller household items and made the decision to sell everything in the UK. This was mainly due to the quotations we received from shipping companies who wanted approx £4k to move our items given that we only had a 2 bed property and not taking white goods in that quote or any wardrobes!!

We thought it was too expensive. I then thought that there were just two items of furniture that I really liked and wanted to take but when you think of the open plan houses, you have to think whether your furniture will fit in or even look right in their type of homes.

Ignore all those negative people who constantly harp on about how expensive Australia is. It isn't. When you are earning more than 2 times what you were earning in the UK, you hopefully will find that, like us, we are now far more better off than we were before. We have bought all our furniture in the sales, most of it is solid wood and not flat packed, so good quality. We have probably spent $4k on furnishing the entire house inc all white goods and electrical items for the kitchen. I decided to replace the kettle, toaster, food processor, steamer etc out here as it wasn't worth spending the money on sending it over, waiting 3 months for it and then changing the plugs. You might as well just buy nice new ones. In that $4k we spent, we also managed to get a 50" TV, furnish a guest room and an office and the garden furniture and huge BBQ.

I'm not sure why people keep slagging off Australia when they come out here. Maybe some people are just never happy or only happy when they are complaining. We can't spend what is coming in and I'm not even working yet!!

Where are you moving to?

Hope the above has helped. We have still paid £900 to ship the personal stuff and I now wish I hadn't. 5 weeks on and it is still sitting in the UK waiting to go on a container. God know when we will see it again. Not impressed!!

Guest suzysmith

I don't get it - where are people shopping - are you not all shopping around and what do you consider expensive? Are you converting still as you have to get out of that habit? We haven't converted at all. We have bought beautiful bedding in the sales, absolute quality Egyptian cotton. Electrical items haven't been expensive at all. We have bought bikes for $99 each and they are good quality. Maybe my husband hit lucky with his wages as we seem unable to spend it!! Don't mean to sound like I am blowing my own trumpet here, but this dream of the last 25 year to live abroad has been everything I thought it would be and can't bear listening to people slagging it off. Why leave the UK then?

We moved here 4 months ago and shipped pretty much everything, including our TV which works fine. I would recommend bringing everything with you - things are more expensive out here and that isn't converting back to pounds. We have bought some stuff out here (mostly gym equipment) and it has been great quality but we have found it to be slightly more expensive. We came over with our little girl and baby bits and bobs are definitely more expensive - formula and nappies are almost double the price.

Regarding the comment above about earning twice the salary over here - not always the case - we came over for the change in lifestyle and we have loved every minute of it and do not intend returning to the UK. However, we earned very good money back home and probably have a bit less disposable income in Oz. That said, we are outside most of the time and that's free! Utility bills and food shopping is more expensive - that isn't slagging the place off, it's just stating a fact. People should be made aware of the cost of things before coming over - I used to watch "Wanted down under" back in the UK and it drove me mad that people thought they could move to Oz and get a huge 4 bed house, pool, on the beach etc etc for about £50!

So, pack everything and chuck it if you find it doesn't fit in in your new place when you get here - you'll be paying for a container anyway! Make sure you take the labels off any new stuff as you might get charged tax. Good luck! :)

As has been said, you need to have owned a car 12 months prior to shipping it.

Your TV and computers should work fine.

With regard to bikes, they are more expensive in Aus but you can order online and get them shipped from the UK (a reputable company, name escapes me atm) and make a good saving. Again, be careful with the 12 month rule of ownership and also if its over a certain value in Aus $$$ you could be liable for tex/import duty.

As for the rest I think it depends on your budget and preferences tbh. Aus houses are usually not like UK ones, rooms and layout is different, as is the general style. So often UK furniture can look out of place or won't fill a room even.

If you've good quality furniture and can afford to ship it, do so. Same with anything else. Cost of shipping over cost of buying new there etc. We don't plan to ship much furniture now, although I did in the beginning plan to take the lot. But realise most of our stuff won't fit over there and would rather buy to suit our permanent home once there. Curtains are a dud to take IMHO as Aus windows are far bigger and higher than UK ones and not one single set of my floor to ceiling curtains will fit in most Aus houses, width or length!

Duvets, bedding, towels and things like good sets of pots and pans and stuff are what I am stocking up on. For the rest, not worried overly. We are shipping our bed, personal effects, kitchen stuff, bikes, kids toys and perhaps a few smaller items of furniture we like and want to keep.

Personally I'd not buy garden furniture to ship but wait to buy in Aus once you know the house and garden you'll be living in.

I don't get it - where are people shopping - are you not all shopping around and what do you consider expensive? Are you converting still as you have to get out of that habit? We haven't converted at all. We have bought beautiful bedding in the sales, absolute quality Egyptian cotton. Electrical items haven't been expensive at all. We have bought bikes for $99 each and they are good quality. Maybe my husband hit lucky with his wages as we seem unable to spend it!! Don't mean to sound like I am blowing my own trumpet here, but this dream of the last 25 year to live abroad has been everything I thought it would be and can't bear listening to people slagging it off. Why leave the UK then?

All sounds good to me, would you mind mentioning the shops that you got the good bedding from and the bikes. That would be great.

Thanks

We brought most of our furniture but only brought our bed because we love it. Guest beds we bought were very reasonable and because we bought 3 got a good discount. That goes for our white goods also we decided to replace them all f/f w and d. again discounted. Stocked up on bath towels but wish I had brought more hand towels as Aus ones are much smaller than uk! It's good to have our stuff with us, we feel it has made us feel more at home quicker. Agree with DBC if you can fit it in your container bring it.

With regard to bikes, check out the prices for yourself online. I paid around $450 about 3 years ago for a "Giant" women's bike, nothing too special, (I only ride for fun) but good quality.

Their Australian website has the prices on so you can make a comparison.

And some people can't bear to hear people slagging off the UK but some people still do it ------don't they?

Good that you are happy here though.

Our house already had a dishwasher fitted. You could try Retravision. The price on things is not the price you may pay. Ask them for their best price. Worked for us.

Thanks. Just having trouble working our how after Suzysmith bought all her white goods and bikes she would have enough left over to furnish a whole home including plasmas and decent furniture and not spend more than $4k. Basically is my guess.

Our container also included beds and bedroom furniture for 3 kids plus all the other paraphernalia that they entail, computers and printers, tents and camping equipment, power tools for my business and a whole heap of other stuff that I could NO WAY ON EARTH have replaced for under $4k.

Sarah

Car wise, have a look at this link and maybe drop the guy a message as he'll be able to advise if it's worthwhile bringing (from my experience though, Landcruisers (real cruisers, not the Prado versions) can be very expensive here - depends where you are moving to though):

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/138727-worth-bringing-my-car-iron-ladys-trusty-new-calculator-reveals-all.html

Goood luck with the move!

Just be careful with bringing cars ESPECIALLY if you think they are 'rare' here. Hubby is a mechanic and has done a fair bit of work on imported cars, alot of the time parts have to come from the UK or America and can take a good few days to get here, not much of a problem if you have a spare vehicle to use whilst you wait but if you NEED your car daily ,this can be a real pain.

Cal x

I am Australian and hubby Scottish. We have just moved to OZ after nerly 20 years in London.

Sydney is so expensive. We have been here 2 months and are still waiting on shipping container. We can't wait for it to come. What will you be doing whilst you wait for it to arrive? I suggest you ship most of your things early and then borrow from friends while in the UK. Else you will find yourself buying stuff from the off.

As for susys comments on being on the great salary lucky them, I am a teacher and getting the same salary but IT DOES NOT hve the same spending power as the UK.

Oz is great for the weather etc etc, but make no mistakes eating out out and general living is expensive.

Guest HappyAs

We shipped most things we owned, give or take white goods due to their age and probably would not be man enough with the heat i.e fridge. I think it is a matter of personal preference and as many have rightly pointed out there are good quality items in Australia to be had, you just got to shop around, get to know the good places and haggle too, most are great in giving a bulk discount. I think we did it just for the hassle factor and also not knowing where we would live. I don't get it too, 'Australia is expensive'...I do think people think that as in the UK we are used to having everything mega cheap, discounted and most times it's naff, not quality, but we still want it cheaper! Got sick of it in the UK. I find Australia so far are not going down that road too much, I've only seen one £1/$1 shop here thank god, the UK is just getting full of them. You get good quality items but yes you have to pay for them, that's how it should be. What you earn here is very different to the UK so it's all relative.

Hi,

I know a lot of people have different mixed opinions. My husband and I were also confused as to what to bring for the fear of things not working or being too expensive to replace.

We did not bring furniture other than a small nest of tables that were a gift. We then wished we had brought our furniture as we ended up paying a lot of money for a new 3 piece suite which is very poor quality for the cost. Generally we noticed this across the board - expensive but poor quality sofas (and many of them made in China although a few were claimed to be Australian made). There are no shops like DFS here where you can get a decent sofa for a decent price. We also found that if they claimed it to be 'Aussie made', then it was even MORE expensive than the China made stuff.

We managed to get 2 bedroom suites at reasonable prices for the quality. I think you get what you pay for, and again our UK bedroom furniture was better quality for cheaper than what we paid here still.

Electricals - we bought kitchen appliances such as kettle/toaster/slow cooker. We are in a rented house so dishwasher is included in that. We bought a new fridge freezer as got told our UK one would struggle with the heat here. We found that with the electrical stuff we could haggle the prices (try Harvey Norman) as I think they slightly overprice things anyway.

Washing machine - I bought a new one in England, used it a couple of times and then shipped it as I thought they were all top loaders here and I didn't want one of them.

TV - worked fine but we have upgraded to a new,bigger 3D one since. The only thing we needed to get was a freeview box so we could get more channels as we don't have Foxtel (Sky TV).

I even brought all new pans/cutlery/crockery and kitchen wares but would not do the same again as they are reasonably standard and you can get some nice sets at good prices from places like K-Mart, Big W, Target.

Bedding - very expensive here. Wish I had brought my own as we have spent a small fortune on it here and found it to be not very good quality. Not like Asda, where I could get a lovely quilt cover set for 20quid King size! Mind saying that, I had new quilts and pillows and new bedding sets shipped from Marks and Spencers as they only charge 15quid flat delivery for whatever you order :-)

Clothes I find very expensive, and recently went a bit mad on a recent trip to the UK! Not much choice here too...you can't beat River Island, Dorothy Perkins, Next and Topshop!! Although again, these all deliver now too.

I don't know if things depend on where you live, and obviously one person's idea of cheap, could be someone elses expensive. I don't know how that lady managed to furnish her house for $4k - we definately couldn't have done that.

Anyway, that is my opinion of furniture etc. I would do things different if I had to do it again, and if we go back whcih we probably will, I will take very little back too, probably more just personal items, as I know that I won't have to spend so much in the UK replacing things that are good quality but inexpensive.

Hoep that helps,

Danielle xx

Archived