Asda/tesco online- torturing myself

chloe98

Am I the only idiot who tortures themelves by browsing through the Uk food online and drooling?

We have been in Oz for almost 4 years and I miss british food SO much.Its the one thing I would move home for(oh, and maybe clothes shops too). I know Australia has great fresh food and most people cook from scratch, do home baking etc, but thats just not me :( - I really miss the selection of biscuits, crisps, chocolate(have finally, after 3 years managed to stomach australian chocolate now but theres just not a hige choice of chocolate biscuits, is there?), yogurts, deserts, ice lollies, ready meals(especially vegetarian),coleslaws etc etc. I get so depressed everytime I go into coles or wherever- its crazy:arghh:

Anyway, please dont take offense to this or tell me I need to get a life and get out and enjoy life(which I do)- just a light hearted question, wondering if anyone else feels the same?

X:laugh:

Oh yes... Completely normal!!

Being a cadbury loving veggie I have to say that after 2 & a half years its hard :((( Coles are slowley upping their game though (with a little help from Tesco I understand...)

I have recently been teasing myself with online shopping for stores that I used to buy decent basic clothes in (ASDA, Tesco, Primark...) knowing that they won't ship here but still going "ooh... NICE shoes...!!"

I need to stop before I drive myself silly with pangs of hunger, frustration & homesickness ...!!!

Cx

Not sure where in Aus you are but they are some crackimg some UK shops in Queensland. They sell lots of goodies and i must resemble a child in a toy shop when i go. Stuff isnt cheap so my new year resolution was to only shop there at xmas, just means i only eat sausages, Walnut Whips, ham & egg pie and potato cakes in December,lol..

Cal x

Oh yes... Completely normal!!

I have recently been teasing myself with online shopping for stores that I used to buy decent basic clothes in (ASDA, Tesco, Primark...) knowing that they won't ship here but still going "ooh... NICE shoes...

Clothes shopping here is getting more like Aus all the time. I thought Aus was way behind - not. I thought the maxi dresses were a bit old fashioned then the first time I came home, the shops here were full of them. then i kept finding tops with the zips sewn on the outside, I thought wtf - guess what - loads of shops here selling them like that now, and shops full of the cheap thin t shirts and tops with mad prints of animals and old granny curtain patterns you see everywhere in oz, so not quite so different now. I have seen things here that I saw places like Target and some of the cheap clothes shops you get in every shopping centre in Melbourne! So maybe your not missing out on too much clotheswise.

Hi Chloe,

you are not alone.....far from it.

I set up my shop because i couldn't find all the things i missed from 'home'. Because of the dominance of the major 2 supermarkets small, local companies that produce fresh and exciting foods cannot get a foothold because they are priced out of the market and especially as supermarkets move more to own label products.

When we question our customers as to what they are looking forward to when they visit the UK, practically everyone has either M&S, Tesco or Waitrose top of their list............... and a bacon butty!

I, like you, hate shopping in supermarkets here so i tend to spend my time in a few fresh food type deli's over here in Perth. With regard to clothes both Marks & Spencer and Next now deliver to Australia. Good Luck

Not sure where in Aus you are but they are some crackimg some UK shops in Queensland. They sell lots of goodies and i must resemble a child in a toy shop when i go. Stuff isnt cheap so my new year resolution was to only shop there at xmas, just means i only eat sausages, Walnut Whips, ham & egg pie and potato cakes in December,lol..

Cal x

You can find a Walnut whip in a shop in Aus? Honestly, I'm impressed, I've not seen one in a shop here in the UK for eons. Its all Mars, Snickers, Dairy Milk and Kinder Eggs. Walnut whips are well out of fashion although I am sure some places still stock them.

Consumed my first chocolate bar, A cadbury's dairy milk to be exact in Australia today as I was out and about and was craving chocolate (I'm worse than a woman) and I can say that they just aren't as nice, they lack a certain smoothness or sweetness that they have in the UK, I can't quite put my finger on it but there is a definite difference! I suppose I will get used to it though. My pallet will adjust i'm sure!

Dave

Yep - totally understand........ Miss bacon butties and all those lovely ready to eat goodies from Tesco & Marks and Sparks....

It's great when go back the motherland and stuff you face with these goodies.

There is a good British shop in Cleveland, Qld. A bit pricey but when you are craving yummy things like a pork pie or a bag of twiglets, it's worth it. :laugh:

I've read several comments about the bacon in Australia.

I must be missing something because all the bacon I have had has been fantastic...

With one exception, I bought British Style Bacon from Coles recently and when it came out from under the grill it had shrunk to almost nothing. Not sure if had had been injected with water or something!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guest shaunaforoz

I thought there was a website that you could buy all UK goods from it, like chocolate, etc?? Is it too expensive?

Do you not get family left at home to send you goody bags?

Guest guest17301

I miss Tesco, ready meals, especially curries, remember the brown paper bags with your curry and rice/nans in for a tenner! I miss the salad bar and Morrisons pie shop.......

I actually like the Oz cadbury taste I find the UK one too sweet and cloying and never buy it. The higher cocoa ones are good too, but then I prefer strong dark chocolate. What I miss in the Uk is the fantastic range of asian foods available in Oz supermarkets.

Wherever I am in the world I rarely miss food from the Uk, but I do miss my favourite foods from elsewhere!

Maybe I am the odd one:eek:

Archived