Aussie Rules!! Hawthorn ot Collingwood??

petersloan

As we're planning on making Melbourne our home in the next 18 mths or so( providing our visa is accepted ) I'm gonna be following the Aussie Rules!!

My brother lives in Melbourne and he supports Hawthorn while his wife follows Collingwood...

I do not want to support the ManU equivalent of Aussie Rules so anyone in the know without bias tell me,

Which team have the best fans, aptmosphere, and best value night out for the family?

We're heading for Rowville so proximity is important too!! Don'twant to be seen as a cockney Man U fan if you get me...

All this coming from an Arsenal fan living in Northern Ireland :laugh:

Cheers guys...

I reckon you just have to immerse yourself in it, watch a few games, keep up with the press and you'll start gravitating towards one club

I came here with an open mind as to which winter sport I was going to follow, but quickly realised that NRL was grabbing my attention more than Super XV or AFL - there are just so many needle matches between local clubs here in NSW, and the quality of play is so consistently high - loads of close matches. I imagine if you are living in Victoria it will be the same with AFL, the local rivalries really add to the intensity

Then I found myself starting to follow the Rabbitohs - good style of play, more importantly a "proper" club with proper support, who fought back against Murdoch to be readmitted after being shut out. Some of the other teams are a bit manufactured

Pies fans are kind of classed as toothless pikies and disliked by all, don't worry about location (but don't go for out of melbourne teams) as a pies fan I'd say it's a good atmosphere and you tend to get both sets of fans in the same areas and stands so good for banter. hawthorn seem to be on the up along with carlton (so far).

As we're planning on making Melbourne our home in the next 18 mths or so( providing our visa is accepted ) I'm gonna be following the Aussie Rules!!

My brother lives in Melbourne and he supports Hawthorn while his wife follows Collingwood...

I do not want to support the ManU equivalent of Aussie Rules so anyone in the know without bias tell me,

Which team have the best fans, aptmosphere, and best value night out for the family?

We're heading for Rowville so proximity is important too!! Don'twant to be seen as a cockney Man U fan if you get me...

All this coming from an Arsenal fan living in Northern Ireland :laugh:

Cheers guys...

not sure if any of you are aware but the Geelong Cats won the premiership 3 times in the last 5 seasons (2007, 2009, 2011).

having said that I haven't been to a single Cats game, mainly cos the idea of of AFL, NRL, soccer or whatever bores the pants off me.

I did go to a game WCE vs St Kilda (I think) @ the Etihad few years ago and it was rubbish, zero atmosphere.

At least Skilled Stadium is a proper home ground, with a very loyal local fanbase

Guest Guest62757
Is Surrey Hills near Rowville? I think Hawthorn will be the closest and thats who I'll opt for....

Go Hawks!! "We'll eat all the Pies!!" :laugh:

If your like us and going for the nearest team I've had a look at a map of all clubs on wiki and it looks like you can go for Hawthorn or St. Kilda....go Hawks!! :wink:

There is no closest team. They all pay at the MCG or the Etihad Stadium. And some of them have paid deals to play "home"games in far flung cities. Truly, there is no reason to support any one AFL team over any other team.

At least in Belfast, Glentoran, Cliftonville and Crusaders play in different parts of the city. People told me I ought to support the Blues but I couldn't see why I would bother to drive all the way out to Lurgan to watch football.

There is no closest team. They all pay at the MCG or the Etihad Stadium. And some of them have paid deals to play "home"games in far flung cities. Truly, there is no reason to support any one AFL team over any other team.

At least in Belfast, Glentoran, Cliftonville, Crusaders (and I think there's another one but the name escapes me) play in different parts of the city. People told me I ought to support the Blues but I couldn't see why I would bother to drive all the way out to Lurgan to watch football.

Is that right? So disappointing

It's one of the things I like about NRL up here - it's still often played in pretty small suburban stadia. Well, it is for now, although there is lots of talk about them consolidating the fixtures into the big stadia at Moore Park and the Olympic Pk. Hope they don't do it, but you can see the commercial logic......

Hadn't forgot about the soccer!! Is there much craic at the games? More importantly, can you get a beer or two at the stadiums?

Er, from what I've heard, theres about as much craic at an A league game as there is @ an Opus Dei bible study group

Hadn't forgot about the soccer!! Is there much craic at the games? More importantly, can you get a beer or two at the stadiums?

Yes you can get beers and drink them while watching. Ive been 3 times its not exactly top footy there was a bit of atmosphere, had worse nights out lol.

• 1 month later...
Pies fans are kind of classed as toothless pikies and disliked by all, don't worry about location (but don't go for out of melbourne teams) as a pies fan I'd say it's a good atmosphere and you tend to get both sets of fans in the same areas and stands so good for banter. hawthorn seem to be on the up along with carlton (so far).

I am not a toothless pikie and as far as I know am not disliked by all. Do not generalise.

Everyone is jealous of Collingwood, why, who knows we lost just as much as other teams. It may be because its the richest club, it attracts the biggest crowds etc.

Go Pies.

I am not a toothless pikie and as far as I know am not disliked by all. Do not generalise.

Everyone is jealous of Collingwood, why, who knows we lost just as much as other teams. It may be because its the richest club, it attracts the biggest crowds etc.

Go Pies.

No not jealous, but I do think a lot of the fans come across as feral toothless pikies... :biggrin:

No not jealous, but I do think a lot of the fans come across as feral toothless pikies... :biggrin:

That would be because a lot of them are feral toothless pikies from Franga :)

(I'm a pies supporter as well BTW)

As a pies supporter you have to accept the fact that every other suppoter that doesnt follow Collingwood, hates them with a passion. Thats the way it is.

Now we are top of the ladder for the first time this season, the bagging (collywobbles) will get worse now. :)

Archived