a good age

raeside01

I was just posting on someones post there and it got me thinking?

All this talk of people going to Oz then deciding to come back, is there a average age for the people that "make it" in Oz to the people that want to come home?

I am 27 and going through the Visa process just now, I feel at my age I will hopefully be able to intigrate into a new life in Oz. (I know it will be hard but I really think it will be best for me and my family)

not prying into peoples ages but responses like "20s and love it", or, 30s and hate it etc.

thanks

Guest AKA63029

All this talk of people going to Oz then deciding to come back, is there a average age for the people that "make it" in Oz to the people that want to come home?

I am 27 and going through the Visa process just now, I feel at my age I will hopefully be able to intigrate into a new life in Oz. (I know it will be hard but I really think it will be best for me and my family)

not prying into peoples ages but responses like "20s and love it", or, 30s and hate it etc.

thanks

Hi Rae.

I did a 'poll' :mad::laugh:on here once (I will try and find it) but from memory the 'average' age for going to OZ was between 35 and 45, and the ones who stuck it out were all mixed.

Totally depends on your ability to 'accept' things and 'integrate' I imagine.

Attitude is the main thing Rae, and if you can stick it out when the occasional 'hurdle' comes about you will do fine.

Not an 'expert' reply,:embarrassed:, but your question is similar to 'How Long Is A Piece Of String' not having a pop, but so many things come into the mix matey.

Good luck in the 'Journey' Rae.

Cheers Tony.

ha ha, yeah you are probably right with the "how long is a piece of string" statement. I think I under estimate the amount of people that move every year and and the numbers on the forum.

if nothing else its a bit of fun!!

some good advice though on how to make the move work!!

thanks

Guest AKA63029
ha ha, yeah you are probably right with the "how long is a piece of string" statement. I think I under estimate the amount of people that move every year and and the numbers on the forum.

if nothing else its a bit of fun!!

some good advice though on how to make the move work!!

thanks

No worries Rae.

It's just such a mixed bag is all.

I could list the reasons why I love the place, but they would be 'debated by others, fair play.

But the one thing you have to look out for is the 'Everything is poo in Australia' and vice versa 'Everything is great'.

No Nirvana, but from my perspective I love it, but also accept it has down sides as well.

Cheers Tony.

All I can say is I wish I had done it year´s ago, one of my biggest regret´s is not getting out of the UK or Europe for that matter in the early 90´s when .... thinking about it the late 80´s ......... but I was worried about leaving my parent´s behind, even though they said ´just do it´.

I am glad I am glad I have done it, better late than never.

I you are young and given an opportunity to better yourself, then do it, you can always return to the UK, my son left the UK in his very early 20´s and will never return, if only I had had his &%$%´s ..............

I am finding it more difficult/complicated to move abroad when you are older. I moved to the Middle East when I was 23 for work, then when I was 28 to the US to start a family, now (34) planning to go to AUS for change of lifestyle/scenery/adventure:wink: . We have 2 kids and a mortgage now, I am remembering how my previous moves were carefree and just a breeze.

I would say that people who want to make it work will :biggrin:, it`s just more difficult for some of us due to commitments.

Came out here when I was 31, now 52 and going back.

To be honest I don't think it necessarily has much to do with making yourself "fit in" as such. Of course you have to adapt a bit and accept that things are different here, but some people seem to think you should just about undergo a complete personality change to make it "work."

Do we consider ourselves not to have tried hard enough to make it work in the UK because we decide to leave there and come to Australia? Somehow that seems to have a whole different attitude towards it. I realise some people come here for an adventure, or to experience something different, but if that something different doesn't do it for them, then why do some people see that as not trying. (Of course there are always the few that jump straight back on the plane, maybe they fit in that category)

I've enjoyed my years here, and never saw myself wanting to go back, but just lately over the last couple of years I've realised it isn't where I want to be, and no one is going to tell me I didn't work hard enough at it or that somehow I'm a failure because I'm going back.

Wanting to make it work sometimes just isn't enough, it isn't for everyone, but you won't know unless you come here, there's no failure in trying.

The simple fact is you either like it enough to make you want to stay here, or you don't, no matter how hard you try.

To be honest I don't think it necessarily has much to do with making yourself "fit in" as such. Of course you have to adapt a bit and accept that things are different here, but some people seem to think you should just about undergo a complete personality change to make it "work."

Do we consider ourselves not to have tried hard enough to make it work in the UK because we decide to leave there and come to Australia? Somehow that seems to have a whole different attitude towards it. I realise some people come here for an adventure, or to experience something different, but if that something different doesn't do it for them, then why do some people see that as not trying. (Of course there are always the few that jump straight back on the plane, maybe they fit in that category)

I've enjoyed my years here, and never saw myself wanting to go back, but just lately over the last couple of years I've realised it isn't where I want to be, and no one is going to tell me I didn't work hard enough at it or that somehow I'm a failure because I'm going back.

Wanting to make it work sometimes just isn't enough, it isn't for everyone, but you won't know unless you come here, there's no failure in trying.

The simple fact is you either like it enough to make you want to stay here, or you don't, no matter how hard you try.

I did not mean it that way and I am sorry if I offended you ( you mentioned failure, did not work hard enough). I made it work for us in the US, our life is by no means horrible:wink: but we just want to try elsewhere. I don`t see myself as a failure that we " didn`t make it" in the US. It`s just a country after all and people are free to move wherever they want so we are taking the chance. Perhaps in another 10 years or so we will be moving out of Australia ( if we ever get there in the first place):frown:

I think classing people as failures for moving one way or the other is harsh to say the least. Yorkiegirl you've been here 21 years and by the sound of it don't regret it one bit. You had the chance and you took it. There is nothing to say that you won't like the UK now and at least you know what to expect if you come back. If you find you settle in the UK then that's good too. You'll have heaps of stories to tell people who have sat there moaning for the last 21 years and not done anything to try and make things better. They are nearer to being a failure than anyone who's given Aus, or somewhere else, a go and then moved back.

thanks

I was single when I came to Aus the first time so made friends and did all the stuff young people do. After I married returned to the UK then we both came back to live and we were about 30, no children and it was very easy to integrate as we only had ourselves to worry about. I also still had friends here.

I think it must be much harder with children so yes, I think it would be easier at your age.

I don't see moving anywhere as a permanent move, so any subsequent moves aren't a failure to "make it", just a decision as to where you want to be for the next stage of your life. I probably will move every 5-10 yrs for a few decades, just because I (and my OH) like experience new things, or I may find I'll find a place that I want to stay for longer, who knows? I find it very strange that people think they can know now, what they'll want in ten years time.

I did not mean it that way and I am sorry if I offended you ( you mentioned failure, did not work hard enough). I made it work for us in the US, our life is by no means horrible:wink: but we just want to try elsewhere. I don`t see myself as a failure that we " didn`t make it" in the US. It`s just a country after all and people are free to move wherever they want so we are taking the chance. Perhaps in another 10 years or so we will be moving out of Australia ( if we ever get there in the first place):frown:

Maruska, don't worry, I wasn't offended, I wasn't referring to what you said, just more in general to things I've read over time on this forum, (sometimes my brain thinks it knows what I want to write but it doesn't always translate well into the written word:biggrin:) that some people think that just because you come here that you have to stay here, and try to make yourself like it even if you don't.

You've moved around a fair bit by the sounds of it so you will probably find it a bit easier than some to settle. Hope you manage to get here soon, it's got a lot going for it, I certainly don't regret coming here.

I think it is harder to move as you get older.....both mentally and physically. I also think you are less likely to "make do" or "work at it" when you get to a certain age.

I move out with my wife when we were both in our mid 30s. As we are now in our mid 40s and have a son who was born here I think it is only natural that we want to be somewhere where we feel that we belong and where our family is. We have no points to prove and we could not care less whether people think that we have failed or not.

Ultimately you only have one life and if you believe there is something that you can do or somewhere you can go that will make your life more complete then you would be foolish not to try it. The worse feeling in the world is the regrets that you have for the things that you didn't try, not the things that you have done.

I don't see moving anywhere as a permanent move, so any subsequent moves aren't a failure to "make it", just a decision as to where you want to be for the next stage of your life. I probably will move every 5-10 yrs for a few decades, just because I (and my OH) like experience new things, or I may find I'll find a place that I want to stay for longer, who knows? I find it very strange that people think they can know now, what they'll want in ten years time.

I feel very similar to that and I wish there was a place where I can happily "settle" but just the finality of it makes me scared..... I guess I don`t crave the thing most people do - stability. In a few years I start to feel restless and feel the urge to move on, experience something new. I don`t know if this is a good thing for my kids . My husband is very easygoing and could settle pretty much anywhere so I consider myself a lucky woman:wink:. When we moved to the US we both knew that it`s not forever, we`ll see about Australia:biggrin:.

Maruska, don't worry, I wasn't offended, I wasn't referring to what you said, just more in general to things I've read over time on this forum, (sometimes my brain thinks it knows what I want to write but it doesn't always translate well into the written word:biggrin:) that some people think that just because you come here that you have to stay here, and try to make yourself like it even if you don't.

You've moved around a fair bit by the sounds of it so you will probably find it a bit easier than some to settle. Hope you manage to get here soon, it's got a lot going for it, I certainly don't regret coming here.

Same thing here, I should have written " you`ll be fine" instead of "you`ll make it":wink:. First step to Australia taken today - spoken part of IELTS.The rest of the exam tomorrow.

Guest guest17301

This is very true

I think it is harder to move as you get older.....both mentally and physically. I also think you are less likely to "make do" or "work at it" when you get to a certain age.

I move out with my wife when we were both in our mid 30s. As we are now in our mid 40s and have a son who was born here I think it is only natural that we want to be somewhere where we feel that we belong and where our family is. We have no points to prove and we could not care less whether people think that we have failed or not.

Ultimately you only have one life and if you believe there is something that you can do or somewhere you can go that will make your life more complete then you would be foolish not to try it. The worse feeling in the world is the regrets that you have for the things that you didn't try, not the things that you have done.

Interested in your definition of older? I am in my late 60's, have never lived longer than 11 years anywhere even as a child. 9 years is the next longest. Moved with my husband to Asia when 50 for 9 years and then retired to Oz 9 years ago with no family here then. Have never found it hard to move, at any age, from going to Africa on my own in my twenties to Oz when nearly 60. Have embraced every move, some were good others not so good, but every one was different and no experience of life in another country is wasted time.

We love life here, both mentally and physically and live it to the full!

Yes we moved with 3 children, just in case anyone thinks we only had ourselves to think about, and the moves were all work related. Unless you move around through work you possibly don't realise how many companies and obviously the forces move their staff around every few years, and how many new places people have to adapt to. Ok it's not emigrating theoretically "for ever" but it can be pretty hard, and you have to grit your teeth and make the most of it, otherwise you sink.

Nothing has to be for ever, and if somewhere isn't right for you, get what you can out of it, and move on, no failure in trying.

100% agree, all this positive thinking, life is what you make it bollocks, if thats so true then why not just adapt these strategies back in the Uk in the first place and save yourself all the upheavel. If you like it here stay, if you don't like it enough to stay then go.

Archived