Reality Check

pomnoz

Hi There.

I am in need of a reality check. I am undecided on moving to Perth. Out of the frying pan into the fire worries.

My dad is already in Perth, and he says everything is marvelous come over. But he will say anything to get me over.

I need to know if my Husband, my two year old and I will be able to live comfortably on $4358 net pay per month.

Looking at Renting two bed in Joondalup area.

Is it a dream or can it be done

Help.

Guest geordie joe

Hi this was posted by Goochie on the 4/8 which you may find useful.

Our average costs per month for 2x Adults and 1x Dog. I consider this to be pretty accurate as I had to work it out for a mortgage application recently.

Rent $2,600.00

Electricity $133.00

Gas $139.00

Water $110.00

Phone & Internet $65.49

Car Insurance $60.00

House insurance $59.00

Petrol $325.00

Food and groceries $925.00

Car Rego (tax) $42.67

Car servicing, tyres etc. $58.33

Car finance $562.90

Hair $150.00

Vet bills $100.00

Dog food and flea treatment etc. $200.00

Clothing and shoes etc. $162.49

Medical bills $200.00

Mobile phone $50.00

Total bills $5,942.88

Thanks for the response. I am Australian, but left when I was 16. So don't really know what it is lik e to live there as an adult. Visas for family are sorted. Just

hesitating before the final leap. Don't want to make the wrong choice based on my homesickness vs families quality of life.

Agree with Ali. If you left when you were 16, you may well find the reality different to the memory. You left as a kid, returning as an adult.

Not to say it's not a good place to live, you just need to be sure it's the right thing for you all.

Also, if you don't have UK citizenship ensure you get it before leaving the UK as if you wish to return to live you may find it nigh on impossible to get a partner visa to enable you to live in the UK again. It really us catching a lot of people out.

I think if you're not really sure then stay put a little while and fully assess if it's for you - pro's and cons lists. What do you and yours partner do? Will you both find it easy to get jobs?

Thanks I will have a go at the lists.

I work in accounts, but would like to take some time off while my son is young, my partner is a policeman.

Thanks I will have a go at the lists.

I work in accounts, but would like to take some time off while my son is young, my partner is a policeman.

I can't see the point in wasting time messing with lists and worrying yourself, trying to justify one way or the other. Just adds to the angst I reckon. Either do or don't do and suck it up. I reckon you could easily get by on the figure you quoted and have a nice lifestyle. Lots of things to do here for free, walking on the beach and beachside path with the nipper in a buggy costs nothing, good weather, kids play for hours on a decent beach. Joondalup is a decent spot, you might not even need a car if you're struggling for money. Don't know how you came to such an exact figure? Have you already got jobs lined up to come to? I thought that would have been your biggest worry.

I can tell you that the Police salary is approximately $70,000 here. My OH was going to apply but we decided that wasn't enough salary wise. Joondalup is where they train for 6 mmonths but I assume you probably know that.

Thank you for your responses. So the salary of the police is not enough to live on solely for a while? I would love to give up work for a while, but from the other responses as well it doesn't look feasible.:nah:

We live in vic park, just a little 3 bed unit, but it has a garden and in a great spot near schools trains etc. we have 3 kids, no pets. We drive a 2002 Merc ml270, $135 per fortnight repayment and $70 per month ins with youi. We pay about $150 a month on elec, and $130 per fortnight on phones. We have a pretty comfortable life. Not rich, not poor. Lots of friends, lots of fun. We go out to dinner. We go on holidays. We save. I don't work and my husband earns circa $75 per annum. It depends on what you do with your money. And what your expectations are. If you want a big house and a new car, then you can't live on it.

We live in vic park, just a little 3 bed unit, but it has a garden and in a great spot near schools trains etc. we have 3 kids, no pets. We drive a 2002 Merc ml270, $135 per fortnight repayment and $70 per month ins with youi. We pay about $150 a month on elec, and $130 per fortnight on phones. We have a pretty comfortable life. Not rich, not poor. Lots of friends, lots of fun. We go out to dinner. We go on holidays. We save. I don't work and my husband earns circa $75 per annum. It depends on what you do with your money. And what your expectations are. If you want a big house and a new car, then you can't live on it.

When I got the car recently I had to get insurance quickly and had seen the ads for youi, I thought they would be cheap. In the end I got a much better, cheaper deal from RAC and spoke to someone who really knew what they were talking about, rather than the girl from youi who sounded like she was reading from a prepared sheet. I have the RAC recovery option and my young son as a named driver, for less than I could get insurance with youi. Try them.

Hi this was posted by Goochie on the 4/8 which you may find useful.

Our average costs per month for 2x Adults and 1x Dog. I consider this to be pretty accurate as I had to work it out for a mortgage application recently.

Rent $2,600.00

Electricity $133.00

Gas $139.00

Water $110.00

Phone & Internet $65.49

Car Insurance $60.00

House insurance $59.00

Petrol $325.00

Food and groceries $925.00

Car Rego (tax) $42.67

Car servicing, tyres etc. $58.33

Car finance $562.90

Hair $150.00

Vet bills $100.00

Dog food and flea treatment etc. $200.00

Clothing and shoes etc. $162.49

Medical bills $200.00

Mobile phone $50.00

Total bills $5,942.88

I saw this thread title and was just about to post that info when I saw someone had beaten me to it ;)

Personally I dont see how anyone with a combined pre-tax household income of less than $90k could ever survive in Perth. Some guys in our workshop have been here for years and are still paying the same $300 weekly rent as when they arrived 7 years ago but many of them say they cant move because the rental prices on new leases are simple too high.

so is everyone in perth on 90k ? i stay in aberdeen and its getting very expensive , but some o at bills? hair 150 dollars a month? am 10 notes a month for ma hair, her indoors am nae sure, the list ther is saying nearly 3k a month tae live? imo ats bollicks sorry but jeezo a earn roughly aboot 4k sterling a month here in the oil capital as the say and i we could live on half that,

so is everyone in perth on 90k ? i stay in aberdeen and its getting very expensive , but some o at bills? hair 150 dollars a month? am 10 notes a month for ma hair, her indoors am nae sure, the list ther is saying nearly 3k a month tae live? imo ats bollicks sorry but jeezo a earn roughly aboot 4k sterling a month here in the oil capital as the say and i we could live on half that,

Not at all stevie. Here's a recent example.

In the twelve months to May 2014, Trend series Full-Time Adult Average Weekly Ordinary Time Earnings increased by 2.4% to $1,453.90.

The Full-Time Adult Average Weekly Total Earnings in May 2014 were $1,516.90, a rise of 2.3% from the same time last year.

Even taking the higher figure that equates to a total of 78,878.80 for the year. That must be gross so you have tax out of that. There are a lot of people working FIFO on decent money in Perth so I reckon that could push the average up a bit. People scrape by just fine on the average Stevie.