Shark eats dog at Sydney beach

ScottieGirl

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/national/nsw/2017/02/28/swimming-dog-taken-by-shark-at-sydney-beach.html

When I first got my pup I took him to a small internal beach along the harbour to get him used to water, lots of dog owners go there. Some months later I saw a woman frantically calling her dog out of the water. turns out sharks had been spotted. I had no idea this could happen. A timely reminder for people new to Aus, be very careful where you walk your pooch and don't even think about taking them on a bushwalk. Whilst it's forbidden in national parks to protect the natives its also going to protect the dog.

I am looking forward to walking him back in the UK without having to worry about sharks, snakes or venomous spiders.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/national/nsw/2017/02/28/swimming-dog-taken-by-shark-at-sydney-beach.html

When I first got my pup I took him to a small internal beach along the harbour to get him used to water, lots of dog owners go there. Some months later I saw a woman frantically calling her dog out of the water. turns out sharks had been spotted. I had no idea this could happen. A timely reminder for people new to Aus, be very careful where you walk your pooch and don't even think about taking them on a bushwalk. Whilst it's forbidden in national parks to protect the natives its also going to protect the dog.

I am looking forward to walking him back in the UK without having to worry about sharks, snakes or venomous spiders.

Further north dogs have been taken by crocodiles too. :shocked:

We've been lucky as our cattle dog died of old age at 16 years and she was always fossicking around in the bush. Our current pooch is a hunter so I'm pretty careful where I let him run loose at this time of year. Luckily we have a big dog exercise beach a walk away from the house. So far though, I've not encountered a snake and I've lived here for 35 years. I've not come across any (nasty) spiders since we've been in Tasmania - or sharks ....................... yet.

I agree shark attacks on dogs are rare but in never even occurred to me that it could happen being the urban naive POM that I am. When I was in Port Douglas. I was with an Aussie friend and suggested we walked along the beach to a restaurant in the early evening, she was firmly of the opinion that was a bad idea as crocodiles inhabit the area. Last year a NSW woman got taken in the same area. Infrequent but it happens. Me I had no idea they would roam the beaches in the evening.

I've seen other reports of this sort of thing on local Facebook pages (we're in Sutherland Shire, the same area where this happened). What surprised me, is that I've heard of shark sightings up the Georges river, the Port Hacking and the Woronora river. I'd no idea that sharks (bull sharks I think they are) would come up rivers.

I've seen other reports of this sort of thing on local Facebook pages (we're in Sutherland Shire, the same area where this happened). What surprised me, is that I've heard of shark sightings up the Georges river, the Port Hacking and the Woronora river. I'd no idea that sharks (bull sharks I think they are) would come up rivers.
In Southern Africa the bull shark is called the Zambezi shark and they've been known to swim up the Zambezi River to Cahora Bassa, a large dam 100 km up stream. There are even rumours of a breeding colony trapped in the dam!

Have had dogs of various breeds for over 50 years in some of the most snake/croc/tick/spider infested areas in Australia and only once had a tick on a dog. People tend to let pets run wild and then blame everything and everyone else when their pet gets injured, instead of blaming themselves. A good example the other day, a woman berated a bus driver because the bus killed her old dog when it ran in front of the bus.

When one has a pet, that person is responsible for it and should show that responsibility.

Cheers, Bobj.

Have had dogs of various breeds for over 50 years in some of the most snake/croc/tick/spider infested areas in Australia and only once had a tick on a dog. People tend to let pets run wild and then blame everything and everyone else when their pet gets injured, instead of blaming themselves. A good example the other day, a woman berated a bus driver because the bus killed her old dog when it ran in front of the bus.

When one has a pet, that person is responsible for it and should show that responsibility.

Cheers, Bobj.

There are a lot of dogs bitten - we met many owners in WA and the cost of treatment means thousands - a standard bite treatment quoted by my vet was about $5000. Hence we kept a credit card just for ours.

http://www.dogslife.com.au/dog-news/dog-health/snake-bite-in-dogs

Bull sharks are notorious for coming up estuaries and rivers. Most of the sightings/scares inside Sydney harbour are bull sharks

Going out fishing with my Kiwi mate on his boat (in the ocean and on the harbour) has been a bit of an eye-opener for me, there are a lot of sharks out there. Some of the frequency with which you spot them has to do with the fish he's after usually as they are popular with sharks too...

Not saying this to freak anyone, I still swim in the ocean and everywhere but these things are not uncommon

Bobj will have seen a million times what I ever have