More public transport racism

simmo

That is disturbing and I hope the perpetrators are caught and suitably punished.

But what i do find disturbing is the fact that a person sits in the UK looking through Australian news trying to find a story that will show Australia in a bad light. Now to me anyone who insists on only showing the bad side of any race or religion is racist and I am sorry but I feel you fit into that category perfectly. Perhaps one day you may realise how all your anti Australia comments appear to others.

That is disturbing and I hope the perpetrators are caught and suitably punished.

But what i do find disturbing is the fact that a person sits in the UK looking through Australian news trying to find a story that will show Australia in a bad light. Now to me anyone who insists on only showing the bad side of any race or religion is racist and I am sorry but I feel you fit into that category perfectly. Perhaps one day you may realise how all your anti Australia comments appear to others.

Please don't make it personal, its against the forum rules don't you know.

Not different though to some who spend half their lives on here slagging off the UK

I guess you can always pick out racist incidents from any country. I must admit I can't really see the point of the OP- why would you make it a topic of conversation on a message board? Sorry but to me it looks like he is just stirring and/or been reading that paper, Daily Wail or something.

Guest guest21235

Actually, I think it's very relevant given that Senator George Brandis this month has proposed to scrap the RD Act here in Oz - "People have the right to be bigots you know".

Actually, I think it's very relevant given that Senator George Brandis this month has proposed to scrap the RD Act here in Oz - "People have the right to be bigots you know".

No he hasn't. He has proposed amending one clause I believe.

Freedom of thought, he was basically saying if someone is prejudiced you can't legislate against that.

Some things you are best to handle by education. You can't legislate everything.

Freedom of thought, he was basically saying if someone is prejudiced you can't legislate against that.

Some things you are best to handle by education. You can't legislate everything.

Taken from http://www.news.com.au/national/george-brandis-releases-proposed-changes-to-racial-discrimination-act/story-fncynjr2-1226864294542

The draft amendment, which was unanimously endorsed by the party room today, will also include scrapping sections 18B, 18D and 18E and replacing them with a new section.

The fresh addition will make it unlawful for a person or group to publicly do something which is “reasonably likely” to “vilify” another or “intimidate” them because of their “race, colour or national or ethnic origin.”

But there will be exemptions.

“This section does not apply to words, sounds, images or writing spoken, broadcast, published or otherwise communicated in the course of participating in the public discussion of any political, social, cultural, religious, artistic, academic or scientific matter,” according to the exposure draft.

Senator Brandis said the Coalition was taking action because the current language in section 18C is “unreasonably constrictive on freedom of speech”.

I may be wrong but it seems to me that I cannot be racially abused if its under the guise of "public discussion of any political, social, cultural, religious, artistic, academic or scientific matter..."

Sticks and stones may break my bones but WORDS will always hurt me..methinks. I can think of a number scenarios where 'public discussion' aka racist chanting on a football field would now be seen as socially acceptable. Where a group of rugby players in a scrum can now 'discuss' what type of mother a certain player has or children sending derogatory messages oops group/public discussion on the internet to one child stating how ugly they are and they can go hang themselves.

Just my interpretation.

Whatever country it is in,

surely it is better to bring it to peoples attention rather than ignoring it or pretending it doesn't happen

But some people have a strange tendency to highlight these when they happen in one country - and completely ignore similar incidents in another country. Can't imagine what the agenda is...:rolleyes:

Absolutely. 'Dog-whistle politics,' whereby racial intolerance and bigotry are given the green light by politicians, without being explicitly endorsed. Next thing, you'll have politicians making statements about how they can't condone violence towards ethnic minorities, but that they can understand the feelings behind the violent actions of the prejudiced.

Guest guest21235

Brandis and Abbott DID want to scrap the Law entirely (in fact they promised it pre-election) but their own party members threatened to cross the floor and vote against it if they did, which left Brandis the task of scrapping it indirectly...which is exactly what he as done.

I agree, you can't legislate freedom of thought but let's not pretend that this is what it is about.

His 'amendment' is not an amendment at all, for these reasons:

It states:

- You cannot racially vilify someone on the grounds of their race (however, this only applies if the vilification is a act of inciting hatred).

- You cannot intimidate someone on the grounds of their race (however, this only applies under the threat of physical harm only). There is no consideration given for mental or emotional harm suffered as the result of racism and according to the Australian Human Rights Commission, FY2012-2013 incidents of Racism jumped by 59%, 53% of which were resolved in court through section 18C. These stats alone justifies the Law staying. Additionally, a study conducted by VicHealth in partnership with the University of Melbourne highlights the severe impact of racism on mental health in Aboriginal communities:

- “People who experienced the most racism also recorded the most severe psychological distress scores.”

- “Two-thirds of those who experienced 12 or more incidents of racism reported high or very high psychological distress scores.

This suggests that every incident of racism that is prevented can help reduce the risk of a person developing mental illnesses such as anxiety or depression.”

Now here's the clause in the amendment - you can do any or both of the above if it is done 'as part of a public discussion'. Hate rants on Facebook, newspapers, radio, TV etc will now be legal under 'Free Speech'. Added to this, under the exemptions proposed in the amendment these public debates don't need to be “fair and accurate” which is what Section 18D provideded us with. This means you can concoct any old baloney about someone with no legal recourse.

There really is no amendment. This a backdoor attempt at a full repeal.

My question is, when does freedom of expression (or hate) overrule freedom from oppression?

ABS: Australian Social Trends, March 2009 (MENTAL HEALTH) http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4102.0Main+Features30March%202009

VicHealth: Mental health impacts of racial discrimination in Victorian Aboriginal communities

http://www.vichealth.vic.gov.au/~/media/ResourceCentre/PublicationsandResources/Discrimination/Mental%20health%20impacts_racial%20discrim_Indigenous.ashx

AHRC Website – Section 18C “At a glance”: https://www.humanrights.gov.au/glance-racial-vilification-under-sections-18c-and-18d-racial-discrimination-act-1975-cth

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/07/pm-may-soften-stance-on-racial-discrimination-act

Elysee it's just one incident that is picked up by the press. Yes it's disturbing but it doesn't prove that racism is rife in Australia. If Australia is racist then I would not want to live here.. There is youth crime for sure but there is no racist movement or racist undercurrent as far as I can see.

I've never witnessed a racist incident here but have seen plenty in UK.

I agree, should someone wish to (not suggesting they do) look for news items in other countries they'll probably find something - how many youtube video's are there of people being abused on public transport in the UK - sadly not all countries are able to live in harmony.

But some people have a strange tendency to highlight these when they happen in one country - and completely ignore similar incidents in another country. Can't imagine what the agenda is...:rolleyes:

Well said Skani, one reported incident of spitting and suddenly were a racist nation. With a country of 23 million people it's like saying if there is one murder or act of violence we are a bunch of savages.:elvis:

Guest guest21235

jasepom, I'm not basing my assertion on racism in Australia on the one incident shown in this thread. And I'm not questioning whether racism is more prevalent here in Australia than in the UK. I know that it exists in both countries.

Similarly, ali: I agree that you can pull up any racist story in just about any country - I have never written anything contrary to this.

What I am categorically stating is that Racism is here in Australia (which you agree with). As opposed to your opinion jasepom that it's a non issue I am pointing out that it IS an issue here BECAUSE it's a problem that is increasing. This isn't an opinion of mine - this is a fact. That is why I referred to the evidence that demonstrates this in the links in my last post as opposed to stories. These are statistical data taken from ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics) and The Australian Human Rights Commission FY2012-2013. I used this evidence because as you have already stated, you can just about pull out any story from any country on racism but when you look at the facts, it's hard to believe your stance that it's not an issue.

If you had lived in the Northern Territories or worked in any of the health or educational sectors jasepom, you would know that this was true. The statistical data just proves it hence 'the evidence suggests otherwise'.

Ok Elysee point taken. I guess each state is different and I've only lived in Victoria which I find a very tolerant place to live in. Melbourne celebrates and embraces multiculturalism, there is no extreme right here and immigration is accepted part of life.

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist which is what you proving with your statistics. That doesn't mean we live in a racist society the two things are completely different. Australia would not survive if it were racist it's built upon migrants from all over the world.

Ok Elysee point taken. I guess each state is different and I've only lived in Victoria which I find a very tolerant place to live in. Melbourne celebrates and embraces multiculturalism, there is no extreme right here and immigration is accepted part of life.

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist which is what you proving with your statistics. That doesn't mean we live in a racist society the two things are completely different. Australia would not survive if it were racist it's built upon migrants from all over the world.

Australia has moved on from a racist past with a great deal of success. That is not to be taken for granted though and there are murmurings below the surface that could well surface given a situation to ignite the spark. The growth of Pauline Hanson politics in the late 90's exposed this.

Apathy is a great thing in Australia that hides sentiment.

A bit more involved than freedom of thought. How can what is in one's thoughts be outlawed anyway.