citizenship times

handsomewill

hello all,

apologies if my queries below have been asked a thousand times before, but if you don't ask you don't get. so jealous of the people grabbing their passports and jumping on a plane home, thats my aim at the moment!

I've stuck it out here so long, i feel I'm almost there and see it as an achievement and an invaluable security net in these uncertain times.. that said I'm ready to swap beaches, sunshine, humourless aussies, paper apartments (i live in bondi), transiency (many mates coming and going :wubclub:) and isolation for the lancashire countryside and draw a line under a great adventure. i think the first 2 years i could never see myself go home but then the novelty wears off and you start to miss things and miss out on things happening back home.

now sydney will always have a place in my heart, so many ups and downs which are part of life and certainly out here when you rely on new friendships and your own resolve mostly. i will miss the amazing coffee however, turned into a proper snob since I've been here!)

I've lived in sydney since november 2009 and was granted PR on 2/12/14.. so am i right in assuming:

* i can bang my application in for citizenship on 2/12/15..

* then wait for my test and ceremony - 6, 7 months?

* i hear waverley council can take unto a year! if i change my mobile phone bill to a mates in the city, is this sufficient to get me a town hall slot? they take around 3 months i hear due to frequency and capacity..

now i know I'm leaving (at some point) next year, i already feel relief and am certainly ready for a new chapter and a game of golf with my old man!

ta will

I would leave it until say the third or fourth of the month. Just a technical thing but someone on here applied on the very day they thought they were eligible and it was refused. Best to be sure for the sake of a day or so.

i assume you have not been out of the country over the prescribed amount.

Agree with Rammy.

Will add, that from my application to test, it was only about 2 months. If you speak to them and explain you may need to spend some time out of the country, they may pull things forward. I was travelling away for work and they agreed to move the date a month. Also, some councils will do one off ceremonies for a fee - so it might be worth asking yours.

I agree with SS above. You are asked for your address, they use it for police checks and so on, lying about where you live seems like a really bad idea to me. This is your citizenship application, you have to declare that the information is the truth. Amd I have never heard of any council taking a year over citizenship ceremonies.

We we also got one within two or three months by ringing and saying we had a holiday booked and would need a RRV unless citizenship came through. They didn't agree to help us on the phone, in fact told us that was hard luck. But nevertheless we got an invite within the next couple of days.

Why do you want citizenship if you want to move away from Australia? You are supposed to be committed to a life in Australia as part of the citizenship application. If you apply for citizenship when intending to leave, you are making a fraudulent application. Just my personal opinion, but as someone for whom obtaining Australian citizenship was a big deal, I think it sucks (and is deeply un-Australian) to pick citizenship up like an RRV on the way out.

I wonder whether DIBP will keep an eye open for citizenship applications in Waverley for people called Will who got PR on 2 December 2014.

It may not be strictly what citizenship is for but let's face it almost every day we see people on here being advised to take out citizenship if planning a move away. UnAustralian, really ?

Would you think it was UnBritish if people took out British citizenship then went home to their country of origin?

Would you think it was UnBritish if people took out British citizenship then went home to their country of origin?

Not really no, its exactly the same. This sort of thing has been going on forever. Rupert Murdoch became an American citizen to do what he has done (create an evil empire). He is still referred to as Australian. I don't know what & of people take out citizenship for convenience, it's probably quite high.

Not really no, its exactly the same. This sort of thing has been going on forever. Rupert Murdoch became an American citizen to do what he has done (create an evil empire). He is still referred to as Australian. I don't know what & of people take out citizenship for convenience, it's probably quite high.

Yes but Murdoch renounced his Australian citizenship when he became an American citizen. I wonder how many other people would to that. I do agree with you that many people take out Australian citizenship for convenience.

Yes but Murdoch renounced his Australian citizenship when he became an American citizen. I wonder how many other people would to that. I do agree with you that many people take out Australian citizenship for convenience.

He had to, you can't be a dual citizen in America so he had no choice.

He had to, you can't be a dual citizen in America so he had no choice.

In his case, that's not true. The U.S. allows dual citizenship. It depends on your country of origin, ie if you were say a Singaporean who became a U.S. Citizen, then you would have to renounce your birth citizenship. But by being an Australian, Mr Murdoch did not have to renounce his. It was his personal choice.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dualnationality or require a person to choose one citizenship over another.

so perhaps citing Rupert Murdoch to support your point about citizenships of convenience was not helpful

Quite the contrary, he took out citizenship of another country because he basically had to. For him to head his evil empire he really had to be in America and he had to gain citizenship. I doubt it was because he felt like a real American.

'. In 1981, he bought The Times, his first British broadsheet, and became a naturalised U.S. citizen in 1985 to satisfy the legal requirement for U.S. television ownership.[9]'

In his case, that's not true. The U.S. allows dual citizenship. It depends on your country of origin, ie if you were say a Singaporean who became a U.S. Citizen, then you would have to renounce your birth citizenship. But by being an Australian, Mr Murdoch did not have to renounce his. It was his personal choice.

1. A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dualnationality or require a person to choose one citizenship over another.

Yes it seems as though it was his Australian citizenship that was lost when he took American citizenship, as it says to further his business interests. Either way it was clearly an act of convenience which was my initial point.

?Rupert Murdoch surrendered his Australian citizenship and became an American citizen in order to further his business interests in the US. Under the 1948 Nationality and Citizenship Act, anyone born in Australia who acquired the citizenship of another country lost his/her Australian citizenship.?

Why do you want citizenship if you want to move away from Australia? You are supposed to be committed to a life in Australia as part of the citizenship application. If you apply for citizenship when intending to leave, you are making a fraudulent application. Just my personal opinion, but as someone for whom obtaining Australian citizenship was a big deal, I think it sucks (and is deeply un-Australian) to pick citizenship up like an RRV on the way out.

I wonder whether DIBP will keep an eye open for citizenship applications in Waverley for people called Will who got PR on 2 December 2014.

because mate, I've been here 6 years and earned my right to that passport now. and yes, i believe waverley council have recruited jason bourne and various members of MI5 to ensure these heinous, despicable applications are intercepted and the applicant brought to justice.

they can't even repair the roads!

i wonder if my application will keep an eye on my application as my name aint will and i sure as hell aint handsome!

have a lovely long weekend x

What is a paper apartment? I have never heard that expression before.

I have now been here for 20 years and the novelty hasn't worn off yet.

Then again, if I had to live in Bondi full time, I would have slit my wrists 19.5 years ago.

An an apartment with walls so thin that the construction of which appears to comprise solely of paper. There you go.

20 years? Well done I'm so proud of you. Especially with your suicidal tendencies jilly!

Guest guest30085

I don't see anything wrong with getting your citizenship, it keeps the door open for you.

Many, many people return to their home country at some point and then bounce back to Australia.

The return resident visa isn't always an option for some people, although you should be fine due to having lived in Australia for six years, but the rules and regulations may be changed at any time, therefore it may become more difficult for people to live here for a relatively short time and still be eligible for a RRV.

Whereabouts will you be returning to, in the best county in the UK ;-).

Edited by guest30085
Typo

I don't see anything wrong with getting your citizenship, it keeps the door open for you.

The problem is the eligibility requirement that states you must "be likely to reside, or to continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia". The OP sounds like he dislikes Australia and has no intention of continuing to reside in Australia or maintain close ties. Therefore, in signing to confirm eligibility, the OP would be making a false statement. Moreover, the pledge you take when you accept citizenship says: "from this time forward, I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people", which hardly sounds like it is the OP's mindset.

Many, many people return to their home country at some point and then bounce back to Australia.

The return resident visa isn't always an option for some people, although you should be fine due to having lived in Australia for six years, but the rules and regulations may be changed at any time, therefore it may become more difficult for people to live here for a relatively short time and still be eligible for a RRV.

Whereabouts will you be returning to, in the best county in the UK ;-).

exactly. Reasons for me attaining citizenship are no different to anyone else. I'd like the door to be open in the future if the Lancashire rain doesn't have the same gloomy appeal as it once did.

im from bury so I am thinking a country town like ramsbottom.. A nice stone cottage will do me fine plus my dads health has been slowly deteriorating. Such is life.

Weird typing this as I lie on Bondi in 30 degree heat but I'm actually looking forward to the change!

tganks for the normal response and support for Lancashire.. Just wanted advice on citizenship procedures, not details on the intricate council spy networks, threats of suicide or rupert murdochs private life.