citizenship times

handsomewill

The problem is the eligibility requirement that states you must "be likely to reside, or to continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia". The OP sounds like he dislikes Australia and has no intention of continuing to reside in Australia or maintain close ties. Therefore, in signing to confirm eligibility, the OP would be making a false statement. Moreover, the pledge you take when you accept citizenship says: "from this time forward, I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people", which hardly sounds like it is the OP's mindset.

you sound like a barrel of laughs.

i guess you could compare this to wedding vows. In sickness and in health til death do us part etc. which carries a 50% divorce rate.

what I'm saying is I am eligible and things change. Chill out.

Guest guest30085

You could be in a worse place, a stone cottage in one of the leafy areas of Lancs doesn't sound too bad to me. I miss home a lot, but I'm happy in Australia for the time being. But I also want the option to live in both places in the future, therefore I'm also planning on doing the same as you and staying until Citizenship at least. Although apparently it's 'not cricket', is that the correct phrase?

what I'm saying is I am eligible and things change. Chill out.

And what I am saying is that you are not eligible, as evidenced by your posting this on the Moving Back to the UK section. You probably will get citizenship, but only by lying about your intentions during the application process and signing a false statement that you intend to continue residing in Australia or maintaining a close association.

If you don't understand how this is offensive, then you really don't belong here.

And what I am saying is that you are not eligible, as evidenced by your posting this on the Moving Back to the UK section. You probably will get citizenship, but only by lying about your intentions during the application process and signing a false statement that you intend to continue residing in Australia or maintaining a close association.

If you don't understand how this is offensive, then you really don't belong here.[/QUOTe]

What if I cross my fingers whilst I pledge allegiance to Australia at the ceremony??

I'd like to make the whole caper as offensive as possible!

i am eligible. Hence when I get my passport I will have initially been eligible.

i may return someday as previously indicated.

im off for a beer, enjoy your day friends.

Edited by MaggieMay24
fixing quote

Sorry but this is otherwise known as trolling!

No. Trolling is when you say something that you don't believe purely to make people upset and get a reaction. What you are observing here is a phenomenon called a "different point of view". This is something that predates the Internet and in older times, you would listen to the "different point of view" and decide whether to (i) accept it; (ii) rebut it; or (iii) ignore it.

You could be in a worse place, a stone cottage in one of the leafy areas of Lancs doesn't sound too bad to me. I miss home a lot, but I'm happy in Australia for the time being. But I also want the option to live in both places in the future, therefore I'm also planning on doing the same as you and staying until Citizenship at least. Although apparently it's 'not cricket', is that the correct phrase?

Good on you. Yes I'm happy here for the time being too but priorities have shifted for me now so back home is the plan for the near future. Ha yes maybe it isn't cricket but what is these days? Best of luck to you in getting your offensive and unethical, yet fully legal citizenship too :laugh:

I'm doing the same as Will. Applying for citizenship in October and booking a one way flight to the UK the day my passport comes through. Theres nothing at all wrong with it. I like this country. I've made good friends here and will stay in touch (is this enough to qualify as an ongoing relationship with the country?). Everything I'm doing is legal. And I don't feel at all guilty about it. And yes, I may return to live here at some point when the rain gets too much. I've earned that right!

I'm doing the same as Will. Applying for citizenship in October and booking a one way flight to the UK the day my passport comes through. Theres nothing at all wrong with it. ... I've earned that right!

This is not correct. As part of the application process, you have to sign a declaration that: "I declare that I intend to reside or continue to reside in Australia, or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia". You don't intend to do that and in signing the false declaration, you are committing an offence under Section 50 of the Australian Citizenship Act.

Rammy is a great place to live, loved everything about it........except for the damp. It rains A LOT. Just look at the stats. It has its own microclimate!

love it but if we go back to the UK it will be to somewhere drier and warmer than Lancashire.

Dont let me put you off though, have a pint in the Hairy Hounds for me.

I'm doing the same as Will. Applying for citizenship in October and booking a one way flight to the UK the day my passport comes through. Theres nothing at all wrong with it. I like this country. I've made good friends here and will stay in touch (is this enough to qualify as an ongoing relationship with the country?). Everything I'm doing is legal. And I don't feel at all guilty about it. And yes, I may return to live here at some point when the rain gets too much. I've earned that right!

Yes you have earned that right. I like it here too. I just want a change. I feel zero guilt, I've pumped six years of tax into the coffers, I deserve a little reward. Hope your process is quick!

This is not correct. As part of the application process, you have to sign a declaration that: "I declare that I intend to reside or continue to reside in Australia, or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia". You don't intend to do that and in signing the false declaration, you are committing an offence under Section 50 of the Australian Citizenship Act.

i will watch neighbours with a Tim tam every evening, that ok for you sweetie?

cant wait for that passport, man it'll feel so good breaking section 50 clean in half!

I know totty very well! Lots of my family live in hawkshaw..yeah I'm under no illusions it will be a shock to the system.. I'm fully bracing myself for rain, rubbish coffee and a distinct lack of avocado.

Steady now... it may be grim up North, but I'm pretty sure you'll be sorted for avocado in Tesco's (won't be Ozzie avocado though so you may be breaking some kind of visa stipulations)

• 5 months later...

guys, I have question

Can I apply for citizenship slightly before 4 years(3 years on visa 457 + 1 year on PR), to have actual ceremony right after 4 years? I see that it takes in average 2 month between application and ceremony dates, is it possible to apply when you 3 years 10 month in Australia?

guys, I have question

Can I apply for citizenship slightly before 4 years(3 years on visa 457 + 1 year on PR), to have actual ceremony right after 4 years? I see that it takes in average 2 month between application and ceremony dates, is it possible to apply when you 3 years 10 month in Australia?

No - you must have been in Australia for 4 years when you apply. Also, the timeline of only 2 months between application and ceremony is way optimistic. In my case it was 10 months, but I believe this is at the long end. Expect 6 months or thereabouts.

No - you must have been in Australia for 4 years when you apply. Also, the timeline of only 2 months between application and ceremony is way optimistic. In my case it was 10 months, but I believe this is at the long end. Expect 6 months or thereabouts.

No, that's not true. I've only been in Australia since August 2012 and I had my citizenship ceremony yesterday. You do need to have visited Australia over 4 years ago, but provided you did that (and you meet all the other requirements such as having PR for the last 12 months) you're then allowed one year out of the last 4 years outside Australia - and that year can be the entire first year of the four year period. In other words you only need to have been in Australia for the last 3 years to apply.

PS Why have we got two threads for Citizenship Timelines running at the same time?

Yes but we don't know if the poster had visited before he got the 457 visa. I agree that not many people realise this. We will be applying 3 years plus all holidays after arriving this time as we had been here before on a different visa. Each holiday we have puts it back a bit.

No, that's not true. I've only been in Australia since August 2012 and I had my citizenship ceremony yesterday. You do need to have visited Australia over 4 years ago, but provided you did that (and you meet all the other requirements such as having PR for the last 12 months) you're then allowed one year out of the last 4 years outside Australia - and that year can be the entire first year of the four year period. In other words you only need to have been in Australia for the last 3 years to apply.

PS Why have we got two threads for Citizenship Timelines running at the same time?

Hi Ken, can you help? ive been in oz for 6 years now. got PR in feb this year. so will be applying or citizenship feb 2017. am I right in saying I cant leave the country for anymore than 3 months in this year leading up to citizenship? Im wanting to head to the snow for a few months ( Canada) but don't want my citizenship clock to reset if you know what I mean. You seem to of just got your Citizenship - congrats sbtw!! can you offer any advise? thanks

Hi Ken, can you help? ive been in oz for 6 years now. got PR in feb this year. so will be applying or citizenship feb 2017. am I right in saying I cant leave the country for anymore than 3 months in this year leading up to citizenship? Im wanting to head to the snow for a few months ( Canada) but don't want my citizenship clock to reset if you know what I mean. You seem to of just got your Citizenship - congrats sbtw!! can you offer any advise? thanks

That's right - except it's the year leading up to applying rather than actually getting citizenship. You can't be out of the country for more than 3 months (might be 90 days I can't remember the exact wording) in the 12 months before applying. Those 3 months will also count towards the maximum of 12 months that you can't be out of the country in the 4 years before applying. After applying (I'd wait until after your citizenship test as that comes quickly) you can leave the country as much as you want but will need to be back for your citizenship ceremony - you must attend a citizenship ceremony within 12 months of being approved for citizenship. The problems is you won't know when that is - some people only wait 2 months others 6 months or more. They should give you a month or so notice of when the ceremony is and you can ask to postpone it if not convenient (not that many people do after waiting so long). They may even have a way of registering when you'll be away (not something I needed to look into so I don't actually know).

No, that's not true. You do need to have visited Australia over 4 years ago, but provided you did that (and you meet all the other requirements such as having PR for the last 12 months) you're then allowed one year out of the last 4 years outside Australia - and that year can be the entire first year of the four year period.

I had understood there needed to be a continuity of holding a valid visa - is that not the case?

I had understood there needed to be a continuity of holding a valid visa - is that not the case?

Some people interpret it that way but it doesn't appear to be the case. The only mention of visas in the citizenship rules is the stipulation that you must have had PR for the last 12 months and that any time spent in Australia without a valid visa doesn't count. If they wanted to exclude time outside Australia without a valid visa they would have said so - but why would anyone need a valid Australian visa outside of Australia?