Standard Australian Holiday's

derham

28 days? you had a good job in the UK, I was lucky to get 23!!

Standard here starts at 20 days for full-time work. Canberra basically shuts down for 3 weeks at Christmas, though I'm not sure if the rest of the country shuts down for quite such a long time.

28 days? you had a good job in the UK, I was lucky to get 23!!

Standard here starts at 20 days for full-time work. Canberra basically shuts down for 3 weeks at Christmas, though I'm not sure if the rest of the country shuts down for quite such a long time.

I get 33 days and this year have an extra 5 for 25 years service to the NHS....................don't tell anyone though as Osborne will take it from me and give it to some rich geezer who drives a Ferrari and has a mansion in London.............................:eek:

20 days plus the usual bank holidays which is usually NY, Australia Day, Gd Fri, Easter Mon, Anzac Day, Queens Birthday, Christmas and Boxing Day. Plus a few state specific ones like Canberra Day, Labor Day, Melbourne Cup Day, etc. Some jobs require you to take your rec leave when the organization shuts down - construction usually falls into that category with everyone on holiday between Christmas and Australia day. Retail, of course, work every day that God sends!

I have 20 days off annual leave, with an optional additional 26 flex days given for time accrued. I think January is the equivalent of school summer holidays in the UK, but as I don't have kids not sure for certain. At work quite a few workmates still take leave in July/August if they're going to Europe.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I get 33 days and this year have an extra 5 for 25 years service to the NHS....................don't tell anyone though as Osborne will take it from me and give it to some rich geezer who drives a Ferrari and has a mansion in London.............................:eek:

The wife who is a nurse with 28 years service, doesn't recall getting an extra 5 days, is it standard? Hopefully they have forgotten to give her it and she can claim it back. I get 41 days in the prison service, the normal 36 days, plus 5 for long service.

Guest littlesarah

I work in the University sector - we get 20 days, plus 5 days for University holiday - we have to take one of those at Easter, and 4 at Christmas. We have to take 6 days leave for Christmas closedown too (so we get 16 days to take whenever we can). All our holidays must be taken out of Semester (especially for academics). It makes trips to the UK very expensive! :-(

But the thing that really annoys me is the way everyone assumes we get the same vacations as school teachers - or some people even think we only work during Semester!

Hmmm... that has to be the first thing about Oz that has left me thinking "that sucks arse!"....

.. 20 days? Bloody hell, in the UK I get 28, plus the 8/9 bank holidays plus currently gain a minimum 1 day in lieu every month due to excess hours works, so I end up will probably end up with around 40 days holiday plus the bank holidays this year.

:huh:

The 20 days is annual leave and doesn't include public holidays.

My Mrs holidays in the UK were like yours. 30 days a year annual leave, 18 days a year flexi, 9 or 10 bank holidays. Local Government. Probably goes some way to explaining why the public sector is in the toilet when all the staff can have a day a week off.

20 days is a bit poo. And you have to accrue them which means you have to work for ages before you can take time off. I started a job with a 2 week holiday already booked for 3 weeks into it. I had to take the majority unpaid. Just the way it is.

On top of the 20 days and public holidays you also get long service leave. The company I'm with you get 3 months after 10 years service. I've got about 16 weeks accrued and they just let it keep mounting up till you want to take it.

My son is an electrician and they get 3 months long service after 8 years in the industry. Don't even have to stay with the same company. He also gets an RDO (rostered day off) about once a month. I think this depends on what contract they are on. Some are standard 36 hour week and some 38 hour. Any time they work over that they accrue RDO's.

Must have a decent union.:yes:

Archived