2 things which i have found cheaper in OZ....

millers

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fresh meat

Timber/lumber

Some other hardware/materials stuff

Apple Macs

Gym membership

Train fares (in Sydney)

A fair amount of other sports stuff (not all) - clubs, kids activities, some clothing etc

Plenty is pricier, but it's mostly an exchange rate thing. Work it out on a purchasing power parity basis of about A$2 = 1 GBP and it's not

The only thing that's massively more expensive to the point of "You're taking the mickey, I refuse" is books. I give Aussie bookstore chains - the handful that are left - about 10 years, tops

Guest guest17301

Petrol set to hit $1.59 a litre tomorrow:elvis: It was $1.04 when we arrived 3 years ago! Cost of living sure is rising fast!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Rates/utilities are at least half price.

Gas and electric cost less, compared to a similar sized house in the uk.

Based on average wages not the exchange rate.

Apple macs (ipads and iphones) and turpentine - and the DH tells me that the little hooks that you use on peg board to hang your tools are also cheaper - if you can find them in UK at all.

Gym I am finding actually much cheaper here in UK.

No way

The prices per unit for gas are broadly similar, electricity here is more expensive

You are paying less for heating here, but many pay for aircon - and when you do pay for heating, it's generally less efficient because lots of houses are open plan, and standards of insulation in houses are pretty poor

Our bills are about twice in Aus what they were in the UK, for a similar sized house. Not precisely comparable because we have a pool so the pump is running a fair bit, but utilities here are *not* cheap

Gym I am finding actually much cheaper here in UK.

I was surprised myself, just signed up yesterday as the nights are drawing in and I don't fancy cycling back from work in the dark on a regular basis

$6 a week, for a really good, big, well decked out place in a busy commercial area of Sydney. I don't know how they do it tbh. In the UK I paid 45 quid a month (as half of a joint membership)

Guest SupportPants

Red wine (even the cheap stuff is decent)

botox and derma fillers

ipad 3

????? Gosh I think that's it

There's actually a lot of stuff that's about 4 times the price in Oz - groceries etc

I really do think it depends what you buy especially for food. We found that the food we eat here in Aus and the food we bought when in the UK for a few months was about the same price. Missed my tcup bag jigglers in UK.

My oh worked out the wages and prices whilst we were there and he felt we were a lot better off in Aus. I mean if you are on a high wage wherever you live its going to be ok. Its when you get down to the medium and low level pay that the difference comes in.

Of course we have to pay for our prescriptions and there is a gap at some doctors but you can always find a bulk bill clinic in Aus. However I am a fan of paying something towards health as I think it helps to stop overuse.

Cars last longer in Aus so you can buy an older car and if in good condition it will not rust an will keep on going.

I think most of us would shop around which ever country we lived in. I check the specials every week, go to markets etc.

I have never paid more than $2 for a lambs fry, offal is cheap here as Aussies do not eat it, one good thing.

But most people in the UK don't live in houses as big as the ones here in Australia.

You might even have mentioned something along those lines yourself once or twice:wink:

Petrol

decent quality meat is really cheap, even more so at a discount meat retailer

budget bacon can be absurdly cheap like $5 for a kilo, cooks up fine

fruit can be really cheap if you buy it in season, other times it can be horrendously expensive

Cheese can be cheap if you buy it by the kilo (!) especially Aldi. Thats fine if you like bog standard 'tasty' cheese. Luckily our son is skinny as a whippet and loves cheesy pizza!

The houses in Australia are generally very flimsy...we noticed that they don't have proper window sills -not a big problem you may think- but the reason is the walls aren't thick enough to make one....! The insulation is appalling and double glazing is incredibly rare...don't think you don't need it in winter!. The cost of aircon is just the same as having your heating on all year round here. The same problems exist there as here but the sun shines more....I believe the trade off is massive....& I don't just mean family & friends.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
No way

The prices per unit for gas are broadly similar, electricity here is more expensive

You are paying less for heating here, but many pay for aircon - and when you do pay for heating, it's generally less efficient because lots of houses are open plan, and standards of insulation in houses are pretty poor

Our bills are about twice in Aus what they were in the UK, for a similar sized house. Not precisely comparable because we have a pool so the pump is running a fair bit, but utilities here are *not* cheap

Check out the cost of living threads, most peoples utilities ARE cheaper in Australia, they aren't my figures, maybe your getting ripped hoff, I would check it out, I pay the equivalent of 3500 dollars for rates and 4000 dollars for gas and electric, using the average wage rate of 2.4 to £1, it is less if you use the exchange rate, but then average wages in Australia are paid at 40% more, either way it works out cheaper. And your right most houses in the UK are tiny in comparison to houses in Australia, so that's even more incredible.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

The new houses here in the UK are really well built, Not. Lol

Plus they are like chicken hutches.

The houses I saw in Australia were fantastic.

Check out the cost of living threads, most peoples utilities ARE cheaper in Australia, they aren't my figures, maybe your getting ripped hoff, I would check it out, I pay the equivalent of 3500 dollars for rates and 4000 dollars for gas and electric, using the average wage rate of 2.4 to £1, it is less if you use the exchange rate, but then average wages in Australia are paid at 40% more, either way it works out cheaper. And your right most houses in the UK are tiny in comparison to houses in Australia, so that's even more incredible.

The new houses here in the UK are really well built, Not. Lol

Plus they are like chicken hutches.

The houses I saw in Australia were fantastic.

But you haven't actually lived here, have you?

I can assure you - being sort of in the trade - that standards of insulation are way worse, and general build quality is frankly unimpressive. The construction industry in the UK isn't exactly modern, in Australia it's a good 15-20 years further back again

I can also assure you that energy prices per unit are as described

WRT food shopping, if you want decent quality and decent value for money, it's a question of shopping around. When I'm in the right frame of mind of a sunday, it's coles then aldi then fruit shack then meat shop. Takes hours! Can be a nice way of getting out of the house for a bit of P&Q, whilst earning useful credit points with the wife.

Other days its just coles. Probably end up spending 30% more but it only takes an hour.

Guest guest57588
Petrol

decent quality meat is really cheap, even more so at a discount meat retailer

budget bacon can be absurdly cheap like $5 for a kilo, cooks up fine

fruit can be really cheap if you buy it in season, other times it can be horrendously expensive

Cheese can be cheap if you buy it by the kilo (!) especially Aldi. Thats fine if you like bog standard 'tasty' cheese. Luckily our son is skinny as a whippet and loves cheesy pizza!

'Tasty' cheese - contradiction alert!.

With building in Aus, once again you get what you pay for. I had builder clients and they built very very good houses. One offs. However they could not compete in price with the large builders building spec and fantastic where you could see and the not good parts which are hidden from view.

Our house is wonderful, we do have window sills as do most houses. Open plan houses are a builder's dream, can charge the same and do not have to put walls in. Also no eaves gee that was a good design too, charge the same no eaves, if you want eaves now you pay extra, what is that all about.

Lets face it, as I have said before, we get what we pay for. If you want quality then its got to be paid for.

If I want a decent coat in UK or Aus I have to pay for it, otherwise I get one that pills or does not fit properly, buttons fall off etc.

Quality does not come cheap and we need to return to it and have less in my view.

than the UK are petrol and car insurance.....!!! anyone else found anything else cheaper out here ???? im really struggling to find anything else !!!! at least the sunshine is free here in Queensland !!! lol

Stuff cheaper for me: petrol, car insurance, gas, rates (council tax), water, life insurance, home insurance.

I used to use public transport and that was much cheaper but, changed jobs now & I have to drive.

The houses in Australia are generally very flimsy...we noticed that they don't have proper window sills -not a big problem you may think- but the reason is the walls aren't thick enough to make one....! The insulation is appalling and double glazing is incredibly rare...don't think you don't need it in winter!. The cost of aircon is just the same as having your heating on all year round here. The same problems exist there as here but the sun shines more....I believe the trade off is massive....& I don't just mean family & friends.

We've replaced our window frames and glass to a better quality (I'm sure if people were building they could have it put in right away), the glass isn't flimsy andgives a similar insulation to double glazing, which totally reduced our heating costs lasts winter.

Window sills attract clutter (IMHO), and whilst I have one in my Aus house - I can't say I miss them terribly.

Public transport is much cheaper than what we were used to in the UK - I can get the train into the city for less than $4 where a short bus ride in the UK cost over 2 GBP (and I can't imagine that in the 5 years i've been away it got cheaper).

Guest The Pom Queen

To be honest I think it depends on the house, area you live, if you are in a new suburb then yes the houses may as well be built of cardboard. Our house up here though is concrete and very solid, it has to be as its up to Cyclone 4 quality.

Ok what's cheap, fuel but we do cover more kms. The other is meat.

Archived