Car prices - Not so expensive

jamjar

Hello

Why do most people complain about the high cost of cars in Australia, here is a little example of what I have found and I am pretty happy with the results. Particularly when using the rubbish exchange rate at presesnt.

Granted I have only used new cars, so cant comment yet on the used car market.

I also prefer to use an hours worked basis to do these comparisons rather than exchange rates and that works out even better (take you hourly rate of take home pay, using gross salary less tax - only tax, not other volentary deductions) and compare the number of hours you would need to work in the UK to buy the car v the number of hours in Oz to buy the car.

I have used the lowest base model where possible. Some times the lowest base model in UK is not available in Oz and have therefore used a non base model in one of the coutries, but always the SAME model. Therefore yes there might be a cheaper option in the UK but that option is not available in Oz (mainly due to Oz not seeming to have the lower engine models i.e. 1000cc). On aussie sites I have entered a Perth post code.

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]GBP [/TD]

[TD]converted at 1.47 [/TD]

[TD]Actual AUD[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Ford Focus - UK base model[/TD]

[TD]£14,520 [/TD]

[TD]AUD 21,344[/TD]

[TD]AUD 19,990[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Kia Sportage - AUS base[/TD]

[TD]£21,525[/TD]

[TD]AUD 31,641[/TD]

[TD]AUD 27,490[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]VW Golf - UK base model[/TD]

[TD]£16,450[/TD]

[TD]AUD 24,181[/TD]

[TD]AUD 25,130[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mazda 2 - AUS base model[/TD]

[TD]£12,495[/TD]

[TD]AUD 18,367[/TD]

[TD]AUD 16,490[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Toyota Yaris - AUS base model[/TD]

[TD]£12,760[/TD]

[TD]AUD 18,757[/TD]

[TD]AUD 17,767[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Toyota Rav 4 - UK Base model[/TD]

[TD]£24,295[/TD]

[TD]AUD 35,713[/TD]

[TD]AUD 32,411[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Nissan Micra - UK Base[/TD]

[TD]£ 9,650[/TD]

[TD]AUD 14,185[/TD]

[TD]AUD 15,346[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Nissan Qashqai - AUS base[/TD]

[TD]£19,495[/TD]

[TD]AUD 28,657[/TD]

[TD]AUD 28,235[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hope this helps some people, no doubt some will find fault :biggrin:

I sort of agree with you. New cars seem decently priced here to me - some, like the ubiquitous Commodores and Falcons, are very cheap for what they are IMO

Second hand cars are pricier; the initial depreciation hit is pretty savage, as it is in the UK, but after that cars decline in value much more slowly. It's easy to find a perfectly serviceable car in the UK for a grand, you've little chance of finding the equivalent here for even $2K

Guest Homer

Yes, new cars are around the same here and of course running costs are much lower. Second hand cars are hugely more expensive however. Double, treble the UK price. It should be noted that cars seem to last better out here and also hold their value. I bought a cheap car upon arrival for $6000 and sold it for $5000 2 years later. There are loads of things to have a whinge about here but the cost of having a vehicle isn't really one of them!:wink:

I was thinking that when having a look at new cars they seem very reasonable. Only problem is with cars in oz for me at least is not coming over with the money to buy a brand new car and the difficulty of getting finance on a 457 visa only gives me the option of getting 2nd hand and there not cheap but they seem hold there value I guess so won't worry when u eventually get a new shiney car :) thanks for the comparison that's another thing to put in the not as expensive as people make out list lol

Exactly Vixxy, it's not so much that cars here are sooo much more expensive, it's that the exchange rate is bad for us coming with our pounds. And that's where the problem lies... you usually need a car when you arrive and buying with your pound is awful. If you can save in dollars and then buy, not a problem :)

I was thinking that when having a look at new cars they seem very reasonable. Only problem is with cars in oz for me at least is not coming over with the money to buy a brand new car and the difficulty of getting finance on a 457 visa only gives me the option of getting 2nd hand and there not cheap but they seem hold there value I guess so won't worry when u eventually get a new shiney car :) thanks for the comparison that's another thing to put in the not as expensive as people make out list lol

Same rules apply here as at home for the best value in s/h cars: Buy something mass-market which here means a Holden, Ford, or a Japanese or Korean marque (which may well be made in Aus): Mazda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Hyundai. Steer clear of anything German or considered "prestige" - if you need cheap reliable transport, worry abou image later if that sort of thing bothers you

I am gobsmacked by the prices really very ordinary cars - Golfs, Audi A3s and the like - go for. They're not worth a fraction of the selling price. Great if you have one you can bring over, but give them a miss if buying over here, especially if using converted pounds!

Can I just chip in and ask if people have any experience of buying a car on HP on arrival. I know you will need a job offer in writing and a start date and things, but just wondered what else they ask for and what the deposit usually is for say, a car thats around $15000. Thanks xx

Hello

Why do most people complain about the high cost of cars in Australia, here is a little example of what I have found and I am pretty happy with the results. Particularly when using the rubbish exchange rate at presesnt.

Granted I have only used new cars, so cant comment yet on the used car market.

I also prefer to use an hours worked basis to do these comparisons rather than exchange rates and that works out even better (take you hourly rate of take home pay, using gross salary less tax - only tax, not other volentary deductions) and compare the number of hours you would need to work in the UK to buy the car v the number of hours in Oz to buy the car.

I have used the lowest base model where possible. Some times the lowest base model in UK is not available in Oz and have therefore used a non base model in one of the coutries, but always the SAME model. Therefore yes there might be a cheaper option in the UK but that option is not available in Oz (mainly due to Oz not seeming to have the lower engine models i.e. 1000cc). On aussie sites I have entered a Perth post code.

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]GBP[/TD]

[TD]converted at 1.47[/TD]

[TD]Actual AUD[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Ford Focus - UK base model[/TD]

[TD]£14,520[/TD]

[TD]AUD 21,344[/TD]

[TD]AUD 19,990[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Kia Sportage - AUS base[/TD]

[TD]£21,525[/TD]

[TD]AUD 31,641[/TD]

[TD]AUD 27,490[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]VW Golf - UK base model[/TD]

[TD]£16,450[/TD]

[TD]AUD 24,181[/TD]

[TD]AUD 25,130[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mazda 2 - AUS base model[/TD]

[TD]£12,495[/TD]

[TD]AUD 18,367[/TD]

[TD]AUD 16,490[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Toyota Yaris - AUS base model[/TD]

[TD]£12,760[/TD]

[TD]AUD 18,757[/TD]

[TD]AUD 17,767[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Toyota Rav 4 - UK Base model[/TD]

[TD]£24,295[/TD]

[TD]AUD 35,713[/TD]

[TD]AUD 32,411[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Nissan Micra - UK Base[/TD]

[TD]£ 9,650[/TD]

[TD]AUD 14,185[/TD]

[TD]AUD 15,346[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Nissan Qashqai - AUS base[/TD]

[TD]£19,495[/TD]

[TD]AUD 28,657[/TD]

[TD]AUD 28,235[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hope this helps some people, no doubt some will find fault :biggrin:

Maybe that's fine in some instances for new motors?(although do these prices include GST etc), I frankly do not see those prices as a comparative were I am near Coffs NSW, all I would say to anyone in particular to certainly used motors is do the price comparisons for used motors based on Autotrader UK, and carsales.com.au, This is because that most prices that are found online will not be forecourt prices and will not include all of the hidden extras, like the little astrix at the bottom of the page that says read the small print!!

I am sure that people will agree that motors are not cheap here in Oz and not everyone can afford a brand new car even with whatever deals the garage is working to at the time.

On a plus side for those that keep harping on about the fuel costs in the UK, if you do some very quick calculations over the life of the car and based on average weekly usage to and from work etc. the costs are still cheaper in the UK although only slightly, this is based on fuel usage and the price you will be paying for a motor in the UK, as opposed to what you will pay here for both the motor and for the fuel!!! for those that doubt it, sit down and do some calculations for yourself.

You pay upfront here in Oz almost like taking out a mortgage and I can't understand why anyone would do that based on the life expectancy of a motor as opposed to a property?

I am not finding fault, I just don't see where the figures are coming from?

I'd be interested in this aswell Laura it would be the best option for myself but I'm only on a 457 visa initially and I get the impression it can be difficult and may not be an option straight away which is when I'd need a car. hopefully someone whos been through it will clarify :)

I'd be interested in this aswell Laura it would be the best option for myself but I'm only on a 457 visa initially and I get the impression it can be difficult and may not be an option straight away which is when I'd need a car. hopefully someone whos been through it will clarify :)

It just seems that It'd be much better, i have had a nightmare with 2nd hand cars and always seem to get the ones that die within the month. I have known of people getting mortgages on the 457 so I think it's OK. xx

Hopefully if we go with letters confirming we both have jobs n a decent deposit I was thinking 10% but can't think what we got asked for over here is that about right on cars? so that would only be $1.5-2k up front then maybe another $1k for any extras and insurance etc that's about $3k which is about all we'll have for a car so hopefully we can make it work as I don't like our chances of getting anything 2nd hand for that :S

Maybe that's fine in some instances for new motors?(although do these prices include GST etc), I frankly do not see those prices as a comparative were I am near Coffs NSW,

I've only checked one (Mazda2) but it is exactly the same price quoted above from my local Mazda dealer. It does include GST and the only additional cost to drive away is registration.

If I were in Coffs and in the market for a new car I'd probably be looking in Sydney to find the best price.

Finance on a 457 is easy, I managed to secure 15k for my car 3 days after arriving in Australia, They will only lend for the term of your visa ie 4 years so if you want to keep your payments down its best to do it sooner rather than later. Capital Finance are probably one of the best for expats but most dealers will be able to sort something for you,

I've only checked one (Mazda2) but it is exactly the same price quoted above from my local Mazda dealer. It does include GST and the only additional cost to drive away is registration.

If I were in Coffs and in the market for a new car I'd probably be looking in Sydney to find the best price.

The Ford Focus price is advertised on TV so that ones right too, its definately worth buying a new car over second hand if you can afford it - the warranty period gives you worry free motoring while you get settled & find a garage you trust for afterwards.

Maybe that's fine in some instances for new motors?(although do these prices include GST etc), I frankly do not see those prices as a comparative were I am near Coffs NSW, all I would say to anyone in particular to certainly used motors is do the price comparisons for used motors based on Autotrader UK, and carsales.com.au, This is because that most prices that are found online will not be forecourt prices and will not include all of the hidden extras, like the little astrix at the bottom of the page that says read the small print!!

I am sure that people will agree that motors are not cheap here in Oz and not everyone can afford a brand new car even with whatever deals the garage is working to at the time.

On a plus side for those that keep harping on about the fuel costs in the UK, if you do some very quick calculations over the life of the car and based on average weekly usage to and from work etc. the costs are still cheaper in the UK although only slightly, this is based on fuel usage and the price you will be paying for a motor in the UK, as opposed to what you will pay here for both the motor and for the fuel!!! for those that doubt it, sit down and do some calculations for yourself.

You pay upfront here in Oz almost like taking out a mortgage and I can't understand why anyone would do that based on the life expectancy of a motor as opposed to a property?

Try to actually look where the figures come from before you dis-credit them (30 seconds on google will show you that they are the total drive away costs). Obvisouly I wouldnt compare apples to oranges.

Because of the lower depreciation rates in Oz leasing a car can work out cheaper in Oz than in the UK despite the higher interest rates. The reason being that the expected value of your car after 3 years is higher than in the UK so your financial usage of it is less. I know many people don't like leasing because you pay out for 3 years and don't own anything at the end - but provided the rental price properly reflects that it is worth considering.

Because of the lower depreciation rates in Oz leasing a car can work out cheaper in Oz than in the UK despite the higher interest rates. The reason being that the expected value of your car after 3 years is higher than in the UK so your financial usage of it is less. I know many people don't like leasing because you pay out for 3 years and don't own anything at the end - but provided the rental price properly reflects that it is worth considering.

Havent looked into that yet, but thanks for the info

Try to actually look where the figures come from before you dis-credit them (30 seconds on google will show you that they are the total drive away costs). Obvisouly I wouldnt compare apples to oranges.

You never mentioned were you got the figures from!! all I am saying is I would like to see you get the deals based on your info!!! to add to that as I originally said I don't see the prices you have quoted here Coffs, it's all very well looking on the internet its the forecourt that reflects the true figures, & by the looks of things you are not even here in Oz to make a true accurate assessment of pricing here!!

Like they say don't believe all you read in the papers, ask the tradies and the locals out here if they think that car's, vans and even caravan's are cheap, admittedly it's all relevant to what you earn but unless you are here and see the prices, there's no argument.

Comparing new and new, and comparing base models will always be closer than comparing used and prestige models. It's the reason why, if you have a look through the calculator thread, people wanting to import cheap base-model cars are generally told it's not worth doing. As a general rule, if you want to maximise your returns when you bring a car to Australia, you're far better off buying a 5-year old BMW than buying a new Kia...

One more small point - the specifications tend to be different between the UK and Australia too. We tend to like larger engines for sure, but our base models are generally less well-equipped than most other countries. And part of the reason why our cars have such good resale is because our climate is conducive to cars lasting a long time, certainly in places like SA where we have no snow and very little humidity. Those who haven't been here yet will be amazed at some of the old cars still getting around...like my 1971 Nissan Patrol, for example...

407156_10151353216535372_734385371_23465286_1897915636_n.jpg

407156_10151353216535372_734385371_23465286_1897915636_n.jpg

You never mentioned were you got the figures from!! all I am saying is I would like to see you get the deals based on your info!!! to add to that as I originally said I don't see the prices you have quoted here Coffs, it's all very well looking on the internet its the forecourt that reflects the true figures, & by the looks of things you are not even here in Oz to make a true accurate assessment of pricing here!!

Like they say don't believe all you read in the papers, ask the tradies and the locals out here if they think that car's, vans and even caravan's are cheap, admittedly it's all relevant to what you earn but unless you are here and see the prices, there's no argument.

Correct, I am not there - neither are a lot of people on this site. So your suggesting nobody does any research before they make the move. Next you will be saying that the house prices listed on realestate websites.com.au are not true either.

My mate who does live in Perth got the deal on the Kia Sportage, that what made me do the exercise in the first place.

Be honest have you even bothered to look at the prices of the cars in Coffs. Here is a link to your local ford dealer in Coffs. I think you will find he has 7 ford focus at AUD 19,990.

http://www.mikeblewittford.com.au/list.php/new_cars/page_1/reorder_orderbyid_16/

Correct, I am not there - neither are a lot of people on this site. So your suggesting nobody does any research before they make the move. Next you will be saying that the house prices listed on realestate websites.com.au are not true either.

My mate who does live in Perth got the deal on the Kia Sportage, that what made me do the exercise in the first place.

Be honest have you even bothered to look at the prices of the cars in Coffs. Here is a link to your local ford dealer in Coffs. I think you will find he has 7 ford focus at AUD 19,990.

http://www.mikeblewittford.com.au/list.php/new_cars/page_1/reorder_orderbyid_16/

I reiterate my first post!!! please read and digest, one URL link from Coffs does not make you an expert and your original post only provides low base models,

I am not suggesting people do not do their research. All Im saying is people need to come with their eyes wide open and not with rose tinted glasses. Things aren't always better here in Oz and I am sure that your mate in Oz has told you how wonderful it is surfing everyday and hours basking in the sun?

I am sure Mike will thank you for being one of his top salesman and I am sure that's great if you want to buy a Ford Focus, but the only other Ford I would have again would be another Lincoln Navigator and I am sure that would cost me the best part of $100,000 here so I will not be doing that.

There are alot of things better in the UK than in OZ and vice versa. My point with the cars was more based on older vehicles i.e. 5-10 years old. There is nothing here of a resonable price in the lower price bracket.

In the UK you can pick-up a good cheapie car for around GBP 800-1500 with low mileage, its nigh impossible to buy a cheapie with reasonable km's here in OZ, so yes come spend your money on one of the links you have found, you will always be able to sell it for a good price when you are on your way back to the UK 12 months later..

Like I said there is very little cheap here in terms of motors and they also seem to have different set of rules here on maintenance of things such as cambelts etc to everywhere else in Europe!!

Quite frankly I don't give a S*** about your links I am just commenting on how I see it being, here breathing and smelling the air..

Archived