Car prices - Not so expensive

jamjar

Think you will find that was an Ace!! game set and match..

LOL

Sorry but just shows you for what you really are.

Firstly you questioned the figures before even looking at the prices, then when proved wrong by showing the prices in your little town in the sticks you say you dont care about the proof and then you go of topic. I didnt say anything about everything in Oz being all sunshine and roses (in fact look at my other posts and you will see I say the opposite), then you go on about second hand cars when I clearly stated that I had not looked into those in the OP.

LOL

Firstly you questioned the figures before even looking at the prices, then when proved wrong by showing the prices in your little town in the sticks you say you dont care about the proof and then you go of topic. I didnt say anything about everything in Oz being all sunshine and roses (in fact look at my other posts and you will see I say the opposite), then you go on about second hand cars when I clearly stated that I had not looked into those in the OP.

"Sorry but just shows you for what you really are". which is what exactly?? I am here your there, I can return to the UK anytime!!

You still clearly did not read my first post as it stated it was not soley aimed at new cars although as I said I don't see your prices that you have quoted at a ground level here in Coffs at the forecourt and I still dont???

Like I have said and I am not getting paid for this I am just giving my opinion, you can take or leave it, you may find out for yourself when you get here then tell me how comparative the car market is then!! until then keep up the research

:wink:

LOL

Look I appologies, I am only giving you my opinion from where I stand and how difficult the last 2 years has been here for me, it is merely my opinion and you may well have found comparative deals, I just wish I could say that I have found things that simple and my other half is Aussie and it frustrates the hell out of her here, so best of luck with your adventure..

Look I appologies, I am only giving you my opinion from where I stand and how difficult the last 2 years has been here for me, it is merely my opinion and you may well have found comparative deals, I just wish I could say that I have found things that simple and my other half is Aussie and it frustrates the hell out of her here, so best of luck with your adventure..

Hiya, I appologise as well. I think we all want the same thing here, to share info and experiences.

Cheers

I reiterate my first post!!! please read and digest, one URL link from Coffs does not make you an expert and your original post only provides low base models,

I am not suggesting people do not do their research. All Im saying is people need to come with their eyes wide open and not with rose tinted glasses. Things aren't always better here in Oz and I am sure that your mate in Oz has told you how wonderful it is surfing everyday and hours basking in the sun?

I am sure Mike will thank you for being one of his top salesman and I am sure that's great if you want to buy a Ford Focus, but the only other Ford I would have again would be another Lincoln Navigator and I am sure that would cost me the best part of $100,000 here so I will not be doing that.

There are alot of things better in the UK than in OZ and vice versa. My point with the cars was more based on older vehicles i.e. 5-10 years old. There is nothing here of a resonable price in the lower price bracket.

In the UK you can pick-up a good cheapie car for around GBP 800-1500 with low mileage, its nigh impossible to buy a cheapie with reasonable km's here in OZ, so yes come spend your money on one of the links you have found, you will always be able to sell it for a good price when you are on your way back to the UK 12 months later..

Like I said there is very little cheap here in terms of motors and they also seem to have different set of rules here on maintenance of things such as cambelts etc to everywhere else in Europe!!

Quite frankly I don't give a S*** about your links I am just commenting on how I see it being, here breathing and smelling the air..

Yes, we all know the UK's used car lots are full of £800 to £1,500 Lincoln Navigators :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hello

Why do most people complain about the high cost of cars in Australia, here is a little example of what I have found and I am pretty happy with the results. Particularly when using the rubbish exchange rate at presesnt.

Granted I have only used new cars, so cant comment yet on the used car market.

I also prefer to use an hours worked basis to do these comparisons rather than exchange rates and that works out even better (take you hourly rate of take home pay, using gross salary less tax - only tax, not other volentary deductions) and compare the number of hours you would need to work in the UK to buy the car v the number of hours in Oz to buy the car.

I have used the lowest base model where possible. Some times the lowest base model in UK is not available in Oz and have therefore used a non base model in one of the coutries, but always the SAME model. Therefore yes there might be a cheaper option in the UK but that option is not available in Oz (mainly due to Oz not seeming to have the lower engine models i.e. 1000cc). On aussie sites I have entered a Perth post code.

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]GBP[/TD]

[TD]converted at 1.47[/TD]

[TD]Actual AUD[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Ford Focus - UK base model[/TD]

[TD]£14,520[/TD]

[TD]AUD 21,344[/TD]

[TD]AUD 19,990[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Kia Sportage - AUS base[/TD]

[TD]£21,525[/TD]

[TD]AUD 31,641[/TD]

[TD]AUD 27,490[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]VW Golf - UK base model[/TD]

[TD]£16,450[/TD]

[TD]AUD 24,181[/TD]

[TD]AUD 25,130[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mazda 2 - AUS base model[/TD]

[TD]£12,495[/TD]

[TD]AUD 18,367[/TD]

[TD]AUD 16,490[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Toyota Yaris - AUS base model[/TD]

[TD]£12,760[/TD]

[TD]AUD 18,757[/TD]

[TD]AUD 17,767[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Toyota Rav 4 - UK Base model[/TD]

[TD]£24,295[/TD]

[TD]AUD 35,713[/TD]

[TD]AUD 32,411[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Nissan Micra - UK Base[/TD]

[TD]£ 9,650[/TD]

[TD]AUD 14,185[/TD]

[TD]AUD 15,346[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Nissan Qashqai - AUS base[/TD]

[TD]£19,495[/TD]

[TD]AUD 28,657[/TD]

[TD]AUD 28,235[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hope this helps some people, no doubt some will find fault :biggrin:

Cheers for that, it's good news to know that the costs are similar, based on the current exchange rate.

The even better news is that the average wage in Australia is roughly paid at 2.4 dollars to £1, not the current woeful exchange rate figure of 1.5 to £1, so because you will be earning about 40 per cent more in dollars, the figures and costs of new cars in Australia decrease incredibly.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hiya, I appologise as well. I think we all want the same thing here, to share info and experiences.

Cheers

Glad you have both apologised it saves me bending you over my knee.

Can I just chip in and ask if people have any experience of buying a car on HP on arrival. I know you will need a job offer in writing and a start date and things, but just wondered what else they ask for and what the deposit usually is for say, a car thats around $15000. Thanks xx

I know somebody who's just purchased a new Nissan Micra ST in ACT. They put down $1600, financed $14,400 over 4 years at 1.2%.

I bought a 7 yr old Toyota Corolla with 110,000kms for $9200 cash, which was a good deal. Some of the cars I've looked at have done over 350,000 kms....and it seems fairly normal !

It seems like there are a lot of used V6's for sale now the petrol prices are registering with people (still 1/3 cheaper than the UK).

Because of the lower depreciation rates in Oz leasing a car can work out cheaper in Oz than in the UK despite the higher interest rates. The reason being that the expected value of your car after 3 years is higher than in the UK so your financial usage of it is less. I know many people don't like leasing because you pay out for 3 years and don't own anything at the end - but provided the rental price properly reflects that it is worth considering.

Have you got any good links for leasing companies with rough prices? I've looked at salary packaging a lease, but would like to browse some figures before filling in the obligatory "give us your phone number and we'll call you right back" type sites.

Archived