Expensive Australia

OzzHammer

Hi All,

Firstly, please don't think that this is an anti Australia post, but having just watched a news program tonight "Today Tonight" I have had my thoughts confirmed - people living in Australia are being taken for a ride financially.

The program, and I'm sure there are posters on here that also saw it, basically have proved that Australians are being way over charged for practically everything they purchase, food, cars, electrical goods, etc etc sometimes up to 14 times more expensive that other countries - mainly the U.S and U.K were covered.

So for anyone thinking they are going to come here and be financially better off, you should really do your homework first, check the prices of cars in the UK and then compare to AU pricing for example take a Ford Focus on a UK web site then price up the same car here, or look at MINI car prices - cheap cars in the UK and Europe but cost waaaaay more than they should over here.

Also, the main four banks have just put up interest rates, some by a whole 1 percent, totally independant of the Reserve Bank - then they go and announce huge profits - in the Billions of dollars and have the cheek to say they raised the interest rates because of rising costs, despite making hundreds of people redundant in the same few weeks !!

Lastly, have a look at some of your utility bills from the last year or two and ask some people on here what their average gas, electricity bills are, this year they are only going one way with recent changes being made through parliament

Sorry for the rant, but I honestly wanted to provide anyone thinking of coming over with some very useful real time information as to what is going on down here.

Again, apologies if any takes offence as none is intended by this post, this is supposed to be information for people to use to make an informed decision before moving country.

Regards

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info its good to get as many points of views before making the move :) We have weighed up the pro's and cons and eventually should be better of or at least no worse off. Theres job security here for my partner that isnt in the UK at the moment so thats made our decision easier. Also it worries me that the bank of england base rate is so low I get thats its great for some people with mortgages as i just rent but eventually its going to have to go back up and how will that effect people like you say 1% increase makes a big difference. Lots to think about and I hope people looking to move do there home work.

This is a really good post. Anyone considering the move should expect they are very likely to be much worse off financially than they were in the UK. I have been watching the recent series of Wanted Down Under this week and I am still shocked at how they mislead people into thinking they can afford a fantastic house and lifestyle in Oz.

Hi All,

Firstly, please don't think that this is an anti Australia post, but having just watched a news program tonight "Today Tonight"

Also, the main four banks have just put up interest rates, some by a whole 1 percent,

I don't think 'Today Tonight' can be classed as a credible news program at the best of times. :no:

But who put their rates up by a full 1%? - I thought the highest increase was around 0.12% by St George (not one of the big 4)

I don't think 'Today Tonight' can be classed as a credible news program at the best of times. :no:

But who put their rates up by a full 1%? - I thought the highest increase was around 0.12% by St George (not one of the big 4)

But there is truth behind what TT are saying, I think Australians are waking up to the fact that they get a raw deal. Ironically

Harvey Norman's dummy spit re Internet retailers ruining 'bricks and mortar' stores has helped highlight the fact that Aussie retailers have had it their own way for far too long. Recently I've noticed Coles have really been making efforts to compete with aldi, by producing much more in the way of cheap own brand stuff and doing some pretty big reductions. Still $4 for a 'gourmet' individual pie though!

This is a really good post. Anyone considering the move should expect they are very likely to be much worse off financially than they were in the UK. I have been watching the recent series of Wanted Down Under this week and I am still shocked at how they mislead people into thinking they can afford a fantastic house and lifestyle in Oz.

We just said goodbye to family who came out here for a 3 week holiday. The cost of everything was a real shock to them too. Perhaps Australia is only for the well offs and professionals nowadays.

But there is truth behind what TT are saying, I think Australians are waking up to the fact that they get a raw deal. Ironically

Harvey Norman's dummy spit re Internet retailers ruining 'bricks and mortar' stores has helped highlight the fact that Aussie retailers have had it their own way for far too long. Recently I've noticed Coles have really been making efforts to compete with aldi, by producing much more in the way of cheap own brand stuff and doing some pretty big reductions. Still $4 for a 'gourmet' individual pie though!

Not saying the basis of the story is invalid but that show can hardly be called news. I am more interested in finding out who put their rates up by a full 1%.

10 years ago I could save money. Today I find it hard. I don't even own a car. The food prices have gone sky high. Electricity is a joke. 5 year ago I paid max $300 quarterly. This year my bill was $1000 quarterly and we don't have air con. Just 2 heaters running 3 hours a day when it got really cold. Yes, Oz has got a lot more expensive but I wouldn't live anywhere else.

10 years ago I could save money. Today I find it hard. I don't even own a car. The food prices have gone sky high. Electricity is a joke. 5 year ago I paid max $300 quarterly. This year my bill was $1000 quarterly and we don't have air con. Just 2 heaters running 3 hours a day when it got really cold. Yes, Oz has got a lot more expensive but I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Energy prices are the same in the UK.. They have rocketed in the last couple of years. Food is also starting to rapidly increase in price coupled with the fact most people haven't had a salary increase in 4 years doesn't make things any better.

Hi All,

....having just watched a news program tonight "Today Tonight" ...

Lastly, have a look at some of your utility bills from the last year or two and ask some people on here what their average gas, electricity bills are

"Today Tonight" is not a news program. It's designed to make money for it's commercial network and to attract an audience by providing attention grabbing headlines - the more shocking or titillating the better. (That means the more viewers they can attract, and the more viewers means higher prices they can charge their advertisers).

Not saying they always tell porkies, but accurate "news" journalism is not their major concern.

There is a thread on here in the last week or so comparing utility bills between people in the UK and people in Australia - converted into dollars - and I think most, if not all, the Australian ones came out cheaper. Anyway, if you do a search I'm sure you'll find it.

However the real question is not how much things cost, but what proportion of your income are you paying.

Generally speaking, incomes are higher here.

There are lots of threads about "how expensive is Oz". Some people say they are worse off financially here but many others say they are better off. So much depends on your job and your location.

Hi,

A perfect example - I have three kids - one pair of Clarks school shoes in well known Aussie kids shoe retailer - $109.99. I have just gone online to a site in the UK and bought 3 x Clarks kids school shoes for 24 pounds each including delivery for a total of 115 pounds. A savings of $215 YES $215!!! dollars!!

Another perfect example - Christian Dior sunglasses at local optometrist $499 same model/item available in the UK and including postage to Australia - $250 - A savings of yes $250 = 50%.

A third perfect example Sennheiser earphones available at JB HiFi $199 bought online for $100 including delivery.

I was all for supporting the local retailers, but am at a point where I am fed up of being ripped off. The times of retailers being able to pull the wool over our eyes are over - the oldies are now moving on and the new technology savvy generation are well aware that simply by doing a few searches online, you can save yourself heaps of money.

And one last thing...what is up with Woolies and Coles HOMESHOP marking up their items by up to and sometimes over 10% of the prices of the same item instore - now that is a major RIP OFF!

Adrienne

:)

erm..i think if it was on "today tonight" it would be true..why wouldent it? get over yourselve's....australia is one of the most expensive countrys to live..so what if the wages are higher...it still dunt cover bills, food, etc...

so when "today tonight" are bumming australia up,,are they talking bxxxocks...I think not!

hI Purpleaster, Great post. Thing is, I did the shoe thing for my teens. When they arrived from the Uk they didn't fit! Have you found that? They were not broad enough and to return them was going to cost heaps. I gave up after that. Any tips would be appreciated. :frown:

Hi All,

So for anyone thinking they are going to come here and be financially better off, you should really do your homework first, check the prices of cars in the UK and then compare to AU pricing for example take a Ford Focus on a UK web site then price up the same car here, or look at MINI car prices - cheap cars in the UK and Europe but cost waaaaay more than they should over here.

Regards

it's all well and good comparing fords and minis but u have to take into account the export costs of shipping 10000 miles away. Why don't you look at the cost of Japanese and Korean cars, you'll find the cost a lot more bearable.

Hi,

A perfect example - I have three kids - one pair of Clarks school shoes in well known Aussie kids shoe retailer - $109.99. I have just gone online to a site in the UK and bought 3 x Clarks kids school shoes for 24 pounds each including delivery for a total of 115 pounds. A savings of $215 YES $215!!! dollars!!

Another perfect example - Christian Dior sunglasses at local optometrist $499 same model/item available in the UK and including postage to Australia - $250 - A savings of yes $250 = 50%.

A third perfect example Sennheiser earphones available at JB HiFi $199 bought online for $100 including delivery.

I was all for supporting the local retailers, but am at a point where I am fed up of being ripped off. The times of retailers being able to pull the wool over our eyes are over - the oldies are now moving on and the new technology savvy generation are well aware that simply by doing a few searches online, you can save yourself heaps of money.

And one last thing...what is up with Woolies and Coles HOMESHOP marking up their items by up to and sometimes over 10% of the prices of the same item instore - now that is a major RIP OFF!

Adrienne

:)

The strong Aussie dollar has helped you to make the savings. :wink:

erm..i think if it was on "today tonight" it would be true..why wouldent it? get over yourselve's....australia is one of the most expensive countrys to live..so what if the wages are higher...it still dunt cover bills, food, etc...

so when "today tonight" are bumming australia up,,are they talking bxxxocks...I think not!

No,it's not ALL bxxxxocks, BUT they only gave a portion of the the facts. If they were to say things cost more in Oz than the UK or the US but we have higher wages, and for the most part, better working conditions, nobody would have been interested in watching the show.

Or maybe they would have to see the kids talent section, :eek: thats a credible current affairs program for ya. :laugh:

@Anitaw - my kids are still quite small, but what I do is trace around their feet. My son has fat wide feet G width and my two girls have very, very narrow feet and need D width shoes. Clarks and most shoe brands have the length of their shoes in millimetres available on their websites. I usually then add a size and a half onto what they are currently in - they usually have one pair of school, one pair of closed shoes, one pair of sandals and a pair of trainers. It was always my intention that the younger girl wore the eldest girls shoes, but despite the age difference, they are now the same size so have to buy two of everything thus needing to save in any which way I can.

@tisme - I agree that the dollar is strong but we have been here for 7 years and have always found buying from overseas to be alot cheaper - perhaps not as great a savings as some of the things I posted about but at least by 25%, which is still substantial.

Archived