Think hard before giving it all up in Aus ...

Stovies

Oh my god, I have just read your post and it is like I could have written it!! This is what I love about this site you think you are on your own and then you realise there are others who are experiencing and haved experienced the same things! Your experience just mirrors mine, I had crippling homesickness for the 2 years I was in Aus, dreamed of the cosy winters, the cold on your breath, the christmas lights, ooh the list is endless, the reality is not all it is cracked up to be! I too am in the same position as you, we head back in 5 months, my old employer has offered my old job back and I just cannot wait, this is going to be a long 5 months, but again just so thankful that I have this opportunity and did not burn my bridges!

We also came back because I wanted to start a family and we wanted our family involved, but you are right, they have all moved on with their lives, it was exciting to be home for all of 5 minutes and then people soon forgot, I feel like I am in someone elses life constantly instead of living the great life I built for myself in Aus, I was just too stupid to realise it!

And I also agree that everyone has to experience it, no-one was going to tell me that moving home was a bad decision I was coming home end of! I think I needed to come back to see just how much I belonged in Aus now!

Oh my god I cannot wait to go back!

Thank you for sharing and making me feel less alone!

Hey! Looks like we're returning at the same time too :laugh:! How's things going?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest justwannasay

Hi Stovies

Have followed your story and its fairly similar to mine. We lived in WA for 7 years then came back to UK and been back a year now, hubbie and kids (3) all aussies. My children are young, eldest is 6 but is always talking about aus. My hubbie got offered a job back in Perth with his old company and we panicked and he told them he couldn't decide at that time (they only gave us 2 days to decide) so they withdrew the offer. We then went back to them as had changed our mind and they gave the job to somone else. They now have said they have other jobs but we need to tell them when we're coming and they will sort something out for him...

My heart is here in the UK but i can't stop feeling that my children should be back there in Perth, its where they are from and they just love being outdoors, soon it will be dark here and i think we will find it hard.

I guess what i'm asking is how did you decide to go back and stick to it and how are you feeling about leaving everyone here. Are you worried that you'll get back to aus and think you've made a mistake, thats what i'm worried about. I got very depressed there before.

I know you go back soon just curious to know how you are dealing with it.

Thanks

Hi Stovies

Have followed your story and its fairly similar to mine. We lived in WA for 7 years then came back to UK and been back a year now, hubbie and kids (3) all aussies. My children are young, eldest is 6 but is always talking about aus. My hubbie got offered a job back in Perth with his old company and we panicked and he told them he couldn't decide at that time (they only gave us 2 days to decide) so they withdrew the offer. We then went back to them as had changed our mind and they gave the job to somone else. They now have said they have other jobs but we need to tell them when we're coming and they will sort something out for him...

My heart is here in the UK but i can't stop feeling that my children should be back there in Perth, its where they are from and they just love being outdoors, soon it will be dark here and i think we will find it hard.

I guess what i'm asking is how did you decide to go back and stick to it and how are you feeling about leaving everyone here. Are you worried that you'll get back to aus and think you've made a mistake, thats what i'm worried about. I got very depressed there before.

I know you go back soon just curious to know how you are dealing with it.

Thanks

Hi Justwannasay,

It's not easy is it?

I decided to go back (and stick to that decision) after many, many wobbles. It took a lot of emotional turmoil, dissecting my own thoughts about the reasons we were back in the UK and lots of talking things through with my husband and children. My children are older (14, 12 and 11) and were able to thrash out their thoughts, ideas and feelings about whether to stay here or go back. I must say though that for my husband and children, the decision was a no brainer. It was me who had to do the most soul searching. I realised that my nostalgia for Scotland was directing my thoughts. But nostalgia is head and heart things from the past, it's not the here and now. I was taking my children to places I loved as a child, the lack of reaction from them actually made me stop and think and realise things. Their childhood memories are in Australia, where they were born... not in Scotland. The way I felt about places in my memory are the way they feel about places in Australia, their memories. Along with other factors, ie family here not really taking much interest in us (a big part of going back was to let the children have aunties, uncles, etc) I came to the conclusion that the children need to go back to Australia to live in an environment that is much much better than here. I could go on about the difference in their lives here in Scotland and over in Australia but it might not mean anything to others as it is our personal experience but just to say, they had a massive culture shock here. Australia really is a lovely place to bring up children and it took us coming back here, to the UK, for just over a year, to know this for sure. My husband was worried that I would go back to Aus with the same feelings of homesickness, etc but I know that I have shifted a gear in myself and am in a completely different place mentally now. I pined for family and all things Scottish. The feelings were real but the reality was not what I expected so that pining is no more. I still love Scotland but I don't want to live here now. My children are my priority and I can't wait for them to be back in their own surroundings with their Aussie friends. You don't know what you had until it's gone, as they say. This year has firmly cemented in our minds that Australia is where we want to be. I intend to come over for visits now and again but the children have said that they have no interest in returning to Scotland. It's not been a wasted year as it was needed for us as a family to be able to move on... because I was stuck in the past with my homesickness.

When I was first contemplating going back to Scotland, I came on here asking if anyone had a crystal ball to tell me what to do... but the thing is I HAD to experience it to settle myself... if someone had simply said to me "DON'T GO" ... it wouldn't have meant a thing to me because my feelings to return to Scotland were so strong, I wouldn't have listened. I am soo soooo thankful that we are able to return to Australia. The thought of having to stay here, in Scotland, would be very depressing indeed. Like your children, mine are amazed at the bad weather here and having to stay indoors so much, not being able to eat our meals outside, go to the beach, a walk etc when we want... just so different here for them.

I really wish you all the best with your decision.

I"m so pleased its all worked out for you. I know you had some heartache along the way, but like you said, you had to do it to realise and find out for yourself. And its not been a disaster, the kids have had some new experiences, an extended stay in the UK and you are all now looking forward to being back in Aus.

Good on ya :) I feel really happy reading this thread and seeing how you've come to your decision and how good you feel about it.

We moved out because of OH jobs and part family & the adventure, ended up not having eye to eye with OH family once they found out Oz wasn't for me. What really angered me that none of my family kicked off when I was leaving to come here they we happy what ever choice we made. Now we realize we didn't come here for family but our own life experiences.

Going back to the UK simply because of loving the Country.

Wow your story is very similar to ours, but we only lasted 8 months in Australia, my husband lost his job, our tennants in the uk weren't paying the rent, my hubby got his old job offered back to him in the uk, so at the time it was great and thinking it will be great to see family & friends, it was lovely seeing family but within a few days, it was back to normal, my friends had moved on, got new friends so it was all not as I thought it was.

I realised we should of not returned within a few days, I cried every day for about 14 months, the uk just seemed so depressing and very competitive.

Anyway we have now decided to become a ping pong Pom, we are heading to SA October time with an addition to our re shipping, flights again is our little doggy we got a year ago. It has been an extremely expensive lesson to take, my advice is stay in Aus, just return for a holiday. My little boy has gone back into his shell in the uk, in Aus he was alive and so very outgoing, that to me is very previous to grow up and be happy.

Hi Justwannasay,

It's not easy is it?

I decided to go back (and stick to that decision) after many, many wobbles. It took a lot of emotional turmoil, dissecting my own thoughts about the reasons we were back in the UK and lots of talking things through with my husband and children. My children are older (14, 12 and 11) and were able to thrash out their thoughts, ideas and feelings about whether to stay here or go back. I must say though that for my husband and children, the decision was a no brainer. It was me who had to do the most soul searching. I realised that my nostalgia for Scotland was directing my thoughts. But nostalgia is head and heart things from the past, it's not the here and now. I was taking my children to places I loved as a child, the lack of reaction from them actually made me stop and think and realise things. Their childhood memories are in Australia, where they were born... not in Scotland. The way I felt about places in my memory are the way they feel about places in Australia, their memories. Along with other factors, ie family here not really taking much interest in us (a big part of going back was to let the children have aunties, uncles, etc) I came to the conclusion that the children need to go back to Australia to live in an environment that is much much better than here. I could go on about the difference in their lives here in Scotland and over in Australia but it might not mean anything to others as it is our personal experience but just to say, they had a massive culture shock here. Australia really is a lovely place to bring up children and it took us coming back here, to the UK, for just over a year, to know this for sure. My husband was worried that I would go back to Aus with the same feelings of homesickness, etc but I know that I have shifted a gear in myself and am in a completely different place mentally now. I pined for family and all things Scottish. The feelings were real but the reality was not what I expected so that pining is no more. I still love Scotland but I don't want to live here now. My children are my priority and I can't wait for them to be back in their own surroundings with their Aussie friends. You don't know what you had until it's gone, as they say. This year has firmly cemented in our minds that Australia is where we want to be. I intend to come over for visits now and again but the children have said that they have no interest in returning to Scotland. It's not been a wasted year as it was needed for us as a family to be able to move on... because I was stuck in the past with my homesickness.

When I was first contemplating going back to Scotland, I came on here asking if anyone had a crystal ball to tell me what to do... but the thing is I HAD to experience it to settle myself... if someone had simply said to me "DON'T GO" ... it wouldn't have meant a thing to me because my feelings to return to Scotland were so strong, I wouldn't have listened. I am soo soooo thankful that we are able to return to Australia. The thought of having to stay here, in Scotland, would be very depressing indeed. Like your children, mine are amazed at the bad weather here and having to stay indoors so much, not being able to eat our meals outside, go to the beach, a walk etc when we want... just so different here for them.

I really wish you all the best with your decision.

Brilliant post. For many returnees/ping pongers that I have spoken to, it really is all about nostalgia. the urge to return is a yearning for things long gone/lost that are just past experience and memories. You can re-kindle in your memory what was, but cannot truly relive it. I love scotland with a passion, despite being a sassenach but it took me many years to "give up it's ghost". The only yearning that I ever had to return to the UK was to re-visit old haunts in the highlands of Scotland and this was based purely on the memories of my "earlier existence". I was younger then...........fitter...........could be more adventurous.............saw the history/culture through younger eyes.................it just wasn't the same when I re-visited. Yes, it was just as beautiful but I realised that it was as much about who I was back then, not simply the places that I missed/yearned for. I even laid my Runrig collection to rest as listening to them raised so many questiuons and doubts as to whether I was in the place that I really wanted to be.

Places change, people change, and clinging to the past seems to be a major factor in the doubts raised in many folk as to whether they've made the right decisions. To fully appreciate what one has, one has to let go of what one once had, IMHO.

Yes another familliar story, could have written it myself. Going back to the UK can be a HUGE shock in terms of culture, weather, liveability, standard of living etc. We had a fantastic life here and came back with the whole family. The sense of guilt that you have for your children is quite significant as well. To be selfish about nostagia and forget about what is best for your children and put them through all these huge moves. I still think Australia has it all and that's why I'm back here starting again.

If only I had read some of these posts before I left Australia, I think it would have changed my mind completely. Nowhere is perfect I admit that but we lost a hell of a lot by coming back to England. For one, my family is less than enthusiastic about returning here, plus the job I have now is not as good as the one I left behind. Lots of problems are created by ping-pongers, and you have to be 110% sure that you REALLY want to go back to England before doing so. It's expensive and it is hard to start again anywhere. (endless cycle of moving, buying etc).

I have beaten myself up so much about this last year, thought I would go insane. To be honest, it has nearly split the family apart.

Be strong and follow your dreams.

I even laid my Runrig collection to rest as listening to them raised so many questiuons and doubts as to whether I was in the place that I really wanted to be.

Wow. Thanks for sharing that part. I stopped listening to my favourite music over 5 years ago because every time I do, I start questioning everything about my life and feel like just jumping on the first available mode of transport and keep going. It's nice to know I'm not alone with this musical ailment. Can't say I've ruled out eventually ending up on a train to somewhere with a pair of earphones on, though!

Wow. Thanks for sharing that part. I stopped listening to my favourite music over 5 years ago because every time I do, I start questioning everything about my life and feel like just jumping on the first available mode of transport and keep going. It's nice to know I'm not alone with this musical ailment. Can't say I've ruled out eventually ending up on a train to somewhere with a pair of earphones on, though!

I've come to terms with it all now though and they are "back on the turntable" :biggrin:

When it's a stinking hot evening, we simply put "The year of the flood" dvd on.................seeing the audience revel in the worst possible weather conditions lift yer soul................I've even accepted that Donny Munro has gone and that Bruce Guthro is a more than acceptable replacement.

I made the mistake of listening to PJ Harvey before returning. Gives a very romantic and nostalgic view of UK which is easy to get sucked into.

Guest clarejane

What a great read and your post so makes sense...i posted a thread today saying how terribly home sick i am...ive been here many years so i guess things are a little different for me. i am intending to return for a holiday next year and see how i feel. your post brought it home to me that maybe im holding onto my childhood memories and that im unable to let them go!!! and just maybe that i want the same memories for my daughter...but thats impossible! i really dont know!

Guest Chantel
What a great read and your post so makes sense...i posted a thread today saying how terribly home sick i am...ive been here many years so i guess things are a little different for me. i am intending to return for a holiday next year and see how i feel. your post brought it home to me that maybe im holding onto my childhood memories and that im unable to let them go!!! and just maybe that i want the same memories for my daughter...but thats impossible! i really dont know!

We have a habit as we go through life of living in the past either positively or negatively, and it can and very often does hold us back. We are constantly changing, developing who we are as individuals and we are never the same person twice. We can change who we are in an instance with a simple thought or opinion. One minute you were living life in the UK, the next minute who had the idea to move to Brisbane, in that moments thought you re-invented yourself. We all do it every day. The problems come when our re-inventions come with new territory and new learning experiences, that's when most of us panic and try to run back to what was comfortable. I have done this, and from experience I know that it doesn't work because I had changed who I was, the reinvention of self is is like a shift in the earths core, it cannot be exactly the same again. The exciting thing about life is the ability to reinvent self and change. Imagine how boring and droll life would be without opportunities, without self expression, without the ability to change ones identity. We are blessed to have this gift and like the butterfly who goes through metamorphosis in the chrysalis and comes out a transformed and brand new being, we have the same transitional phase, only it's up to us what cocoons us during the process.

I don't understand the way many PIO members associate homesickness with childhood memories. I am at times very homesick, but not for Yorkshire where I spent my first 18 years, I'm homesick for Cornwall and Devon, where I simply feel that my heart belongs.

I think the biggest mistake that people returning from Australia make is that they often move back to the area that they moved from originally. If you do that, you are bound to start having similar feelings to when you left the UK in the first place. When you go back, you must try and choose a part of the UK that will give you what you thought was missing before you left. So you want to live near a beach and have better weather, so don't move back to Manchester!

Guest TheSally

Hi, just want to say I love reading these posts and hope no-one minds me adding another perspective to the mix. My parents came over in the 70's to give my sister and I a 'better life' and it's in reading so many of you say this that I thought I'd tell you about our better life. Growing up, we went to school where learnt the regular stuff of reading, writing and maths etc.. but the only history we were taught was Australian history. It is only from my own interest (thankyou Google) that I know anything about the rest of the world's history. We had a 4 bedroom house with a pool and we celebrated all our birthdays and Christmases in our backyard around the pool but we never had anyone else there. We never had cousins or aunties and uncles and no grandparents. We were always so jealous of our friends that went to stay with their cousins or grandparents. It's probably much easier these days with Skype or Facebook and the internet but I can look back and see a void there in mine and my sister's life. Two years ago my husband and I flew out to the UK for a holiday and we met up with my cousins and I have to say it was wonderful to have a 'family' dinner and have more the 4 people in the room. They were in each other's lives and they knew each other's children and they didn't see each other all the time but they had a history that they'd shared and it bought home what I'd been missing all these years. They'd all also travelled all over Europe, where I'd never left Australia before because it was just too expensive and my dad was always working and couldn't afford to take time off. He always told us how hard his childhood had been and how different he'd wanted our life to be. He made that happen for us and I'm grateful but I don't think there's a substitute for family or a shared family history. I don't think my parents could have known what a hole no family connections would leave in our lives. So fast forward to now, I'm nearly 40 and there's a pul to th Uk in my heart that although has always been there is now so strong I can almost think of nothing else. I realise I may have rose tinted glasses and my friends tell me I'm lucky that I've never had to deal with family politics and I may be but I need to give it a go. I want MY kids to know their family and to me thats the 'better' life. If you made it this far, thanks for reading :)

Guest Guest72037

@ Sally. What a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing! I think a lot of people who moved away from all extended family as children feel the same as you do-I know I do. Hope you don't mind me asking, but does your immediate family (mum, dad, siblings) still live in Australia? If so, has there been any opposition from them regarding your thoughts to move back to the UK?

An inspiring Post. There have been many days in recent months I have felt more homesick than most. Dealing with a newborn that has acid reflux probably has not helped the matter. I longed for my family and friends in my darkest hours and wished I could move the two countries closer together, if just for a while.

I now countdown holidays back to the UK, where I know when we arrive, friends come out of the woodwork to greet us and make a fuss, as do family and then we are back in Oz again with a little lift in our step and a smile on our hearts, until the next trip to the homeland.

Recently, several people we know have moved or are moving back due to missing family and friends more than they realised. This year, due to the Jubilee & Olympics, they have seen our country at it's best and packed up their belongings. Those that have been back a few weeks are already saying they are fed up with the lack of Summer, the sadness and depression that hangs around and that it was a HUGE mistake to return without planning a comeback to Oz plan if they failed to re-ignite the love they once had for Blighty. Now they are asking when they can fly and visit us for a holiday!

I love my family and my friends, but they have moved on, we skpye often, we appreciate each other more and do not take the time we do spend together for granted. I guess for that reason, despite my loneliness recently, we will stay and enjoy the outdoors, the new friendships we are making and the family we are building.

Life should be about the adventures you have living each day, the friends you share it with and the family that will always be there albeit a phonecall away.

Guest TheSally

@Aussie my dad worked very hard to make this life work, he had a heart attack and died at work when he was 45. I sometimes wonder if he would have thought it was worth it if he'd known that was coming. My mam and sister are still here. My mam goes back every year for 3 months to look in on her own mam now she's getting older and is on her own. But she would never live there again. My sister has been back several times and says she has gotten it out of her system for now. They are fine with our decision, they tell us we'll be back and we might be...you never know for sure. Funnily enough my husband is in the same position and all his family are there too apart from his dad and siblings who are here...who all think we're nuts.

Hi, just want to say I love reading these posts and hope no-one minds me adding another perspective to the mix. My parents came over in the 70's to give my sister and I a 'better life' and it's in reading so many of you say this that I thought I'd tell you about our better life. Growing up, we went to school where learnt the regular stuff of reading, writing and maths etc.. but the only history we were taught was Australian history. It is only from my own interest (thankyou Google) that I know anything about the rest of the world's history. We had a 4 bedroom house with a pool and we celebrated all our birthdays and Christmases in our backyard around the pool but we never had anyone else there. We never had cousins or aunties and uncles and no grandparents. We were always so jealous of our friends that went to stay with their cousins or grandparents. It's probably much easier these days with Skype or Facebook and the internet but I can look back and see a void there in mine and my sister's life. Two years ago my husband and I flew out to the UK for a holiday and we met up with my cousins and I have to say it was wonderful to have a 'family' dinner and have more the 4 people in the room. They were in each other's lives and they knew each other's children and they didn't see each other all the time but they had a history that they'd shared and it bought home what I'd been missing all these years. They'd all also travelled all over Europe, where I'd never left Australia before because it was just too expensive and my dad was always working and couldn't afford to take time off. He always told us how hard his childhood had been and how different he'd wanted our life to be. He made that happen for us and I'm grateful but I don't think there's a substitute for family or a shared family history. I don't think my parents could have known what a hole no family connections would leave in our lives. So fast forward to now, I'm nearly 40 and there's a pul to th Uk in my heart that although has always been there is now so strong I can almost think of nothing else. I realise I may have rose tinted glasses and my friends tell me I'm lucky that I've never had to deal with family politics and I may be but I need to give it a go. I want MY kids to know their family and to me thats the 'better' life. If you made it this far, thanks for reading :)

I have heaps of Cousins, Aunties, Uncles and apart from seeing them on the family get togethers which, as a youngster I was forced to go to and didn't look forward to one bit, rarely saw them. We all got on fine but were not best friends or anything. Had different interests and different groups of friends. Went to different schools and generally that's where our best friends came from, school days. When you celebrated your birthdays and christmases didn't you have friends round?

Family made a big effort when we went back on holiday and travelled a long way to catch up with us. It was nice to see them but nicer to catch up with friends I had grown up with and shared experiences. Just because you have relations it doesn't mean you will get on with them. My Dad fell out with my Aunt and they didn't speak for years, didn't affect mine or my sisters relationship with her but made it awkward for my Mum.

I think you are imagining the perfect family where they all get along really well, which in reality is not usually the case.

Guest Chantel

My family are also divided. I try to avoid my step dad, my (half) sister doesn't talk to me, my uncle doesn't talk to my grandparents or any of his brothers and sisters, half of my cousins don't talk to each other...it's a mess! I agree, you can chose your friends but not your family and I have created my own loyal family out of the friends that I have made. It's not the people who surround us because they have to that defines us, it's the relationships that we build from scratch based on a love for common ground that do.

Guest TheSally

@Paul1Perth, we did have birthday parties with friends as we grew up I was speaking more of my parent's birthdays. It was only when I started dating that I went to someone elses house for Christmas otherwise it was just our family. Of course it could always be a case of the grass is always greener, but I wouldn't be the only person to suffer from that :) It's only my perspective. The rellies don't have to be perfect I just want the chance to get to know them that's all.

Guest Guest72037

@Sally: That's good that your family are ok with you making the move. I think it makes things a lot easier on you and your husband. Mine weren't happy at all when we told them we were thinking of relocating. We haven't mentioned it since and things seem to have settled down a bit. My husband and I have decided not to mention it to them again until we are about to book the flights because the reaction was so bad (tears, accusations etc). When are you moving? Good luck. I hope it all works out for you :biggrin:

@Paul1Perth, we did have birthday parties with friends as we grew up I was speaking more of my parent's birthdays. It was only when I started dating that I went to someone elses house for Christmas otherwise it was just our family. Of course it could always be a case of the grass is always greener, but I wouldn't be the only person to suffer from that :) It's only my perspective. The rellies don't have to be perfect I just want the chance to get to know them that's all.

thanks for your post is really interesting hearing another perspective, wonder if we hadn't of come back home when we did, whether it would have been one of our kids writng the same post. We returned last August my eldest was 5 yrs, youngest 1 yrs. My extended family are also less than perfect but some of it is about getting to know your roots.

Great Post, I can certainly relate!

Finally made it back to the UK! no jobs or sunshine as yet but still loving it. yes its stressful as there are so many unknowns but i'm sure things will work out one way or another. My OH is an Aussie so big move for him, but i feel positive this is the best way forward in solving the issue of where to live long term. I really hope now that we are here that we can settle into life and give it a fair go. I do miss Sydney in lots of ways, (which i can now appreciate) but i do like that i no longer have the burden of loathing and loneliness that i had in OZ and i can start valuing things objectively. I think both places are great places to live, and only time will tell where we will want to be long term. I think the best thing anyone can do in these types of situations, is to give it a go, in both places and work out what suits you best. I do think though, that you need to listen to your head as well as your heart- which is easier said than done! wishing anyone in similar dilemmas the best of luck!

Archived