Think hard before giving it all up in Aus ...

Stovies

Ahhh Stovies, sometimes it's the brutal honesty of kids that brings it home doesn't it? I'm glad you've figured out what will make you happy :)

I loved the Scottish people - and a lot of the English were nice, but you're so right about the difference in shop assistants over here. It's only just now started to not freak Jon out a bit!!!

(The first time he actually asked me how I knew the check-out chick in the supermarket - luckily after we'd left!!)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahhh Stovies, sometimes it's the brutal honesty of kids that brings it home doesn't it? I'm glad you've figured out what will make you happy :)

I loved the Scottish people - and a lot of the English were nice, but you're so right about the difference in shop assistants over here. It's only just now started to not freak Jon out a bit!!!

(The first time he actually asked me how I knew the check-out chick in the supermarket - luckily after we'd left!!)

My hubby says "Ali ... when they ask how are you ... it's really not an invitation to have a lenghthy conversation" ... lol

I moved from Edinburgh two years ago. Edinburgh is probably the most beautifil city I have ever lives and I was lucky enough to live in a Murrayfield first floor flat with views of Gorgie and the Pentlands. In the long summer evenings - especially during the festivals - there was nowhere on earth better to live. I still believe that.

But - as my visa was finalising I felt a sense of relief when walking along the icy p[avements that I would never again have to risk my neck in this way. The dark winter evenings were especially dark in Edinburgh where the street lighting was so inadequate - but ironically it is probably worse still in Melbourne's suburbs. But in Edinburgh, you could have the best of intentions to do stuff in winter evenings but once it got dark, a baser instinct kicked in to go home, lock the door and drink till bedtime in a cosy flat. No going out - no housework - just whisky. Australia is less like that, even in Melbourne winters. So I agree - think long and hard about exactly what you would be returning to. I do envy rock stars, though, who can live in different places in different seasons.

It's interesting reading these posts and seeing how people feel. I am still yet to go, but now the reality of us actually going is setting in I am starting to think about how much I will miss my family. Not sure about the UK yet. I am sure its a case of taking it for granted, but I can't work out what there is to miss in my life in the UK. We never get out and about much (weather and money), jobs are hard to come by (mainly my type of work but also way of the world at mo). I will naturally miss my family but I actually rarely see them. I know from having lived away from them in the past that it will be automatic to miss them, but I think I will just need to reassure myself that in reality I will see them little more than a few days a year even when they live 5 mins down the road. I think I will miss the help in an emergency. However again in reality I have had trouble getting help from them even when an emergency arose. Good luck with whatever you all decide

It has been a hard decision for me, because I was born in Edinburgh, but for my children, who were mainly born in Australia, it was a no brainer. They have come alive again, with the knowledge we are going back, and for that reason, we are returning.

We have this in reverse, as soon as we have talked about going back to England , they have come alive and are so happy.

I will naturally miss my family but I actually rarely see them. I know from having lived away from them in the past that it will be automatic to miss them, but I think I will just need to reassure myself that in reality I will see them little more than a few days a year even when they live 5 mins down the road. I think I will miss the help in an emergency. However again in reality I have had trouble getting help from them even when an emergency arose.
I can totally relate to this. It is so bizarre as one of my sisters used to send birthday presents to the children when we were in Australia, yet, this year, she didn't even acknowledge their birthdays and we live 3 minutes down the road from her. She used to send us bits n pieces of Scottish paraphanelia, now we don't even get asked in for a cup of tea nor does she accept invites here, she's always 'busy'... same with some other members of the family... My other sisters, we have seen once since we've been back. My Mum's been great and sees the situtation very clearly. She is strongly encouraging us to return to Aus as she says we were a lovely, happy family over there. We were more interesting to family, it seems, while we were in Australia.... how bizarre. I have changed quite a bit since being away but some of them are still the same bickering, narrow minded, sh7t stirrers they were before we left, why would I have thought things would be different? I am glad we are getting out now, before the bitterness creeps in again, which I can feel it lapping around the surface! :biglaugh:. Those of you who go back to loving, caring families are so very lucky :biggrin:.

Kids can be weird as well - one of mine at 16 would never in a million years think of living in UK - but girded his loins and headed off for a post uni gap year ..... almost 10 years ago and now wouldnt think of returning to Australia in a pink fit whereas the other one was busting to leave Australia but hooked up with a girl who will never leave (he is rather envious of his elder brother!). You never can tell where your kids are going to end up, especially if they have dual nationality. Hope your move goes smoothly - you certainly have had your ups and downs with the decision making!

As for families - I never expect anything of my family or friends so everything is a bonus and being back here was never for them. They are a great family though and I have been well accepted back and finding new connections has been a really positive experience as well, people have been so friendly and my very old friends have been great - better than the ones I left in Aus who cant even bother to send an email even though they know I am doing it tough here.

Please realise that this is only my humble opinion and only comes from my experience... but, please, those of you who are thinking of moving back to the UK 'for family' or for nostalgic reasons, think hard before you give up your Aussie life to go back. Although, again, from my experience, you have to live through it to realise. The friends and family who egged you on to return soon, after a few weeks, quietly get back to their own lives and within weeks/months, you may as well be back in Aus for all the attention they give you, you may become invisible. The nostalgic things.... cosy winters, dark nights are, in real life, after recovering from the dizzy initial re-experience, really are dicing with death on the icy roads, having to scrape the car for 40 mins or so in the morning before you can go anywhere and dark nights equal scary driving conditions and tendancies to just stay home. I love Scotland, don't get me wrong, but, if I had had the crystal ball that I requested a year ago, I would have settled for coming over for a long holiday and then returning to my lovely life in Aus. By sheer and amazing luck, we are getting the chance to return to Australia. It has been a hard decision for me, because I was born in Edinburgh, but for my children, who were mainly born in Australia, it was a no brainer. They have come alive again, with the knowledge we are going back, and for that reason, we are returning. We may have used the past year as a necessary experiment to end my homesickness and a chance for the kids to meet their relatives (ho humm... for all the help that was... and this was a big reason for us returning, for the kids to have aunties, cousins, etc ha ha) so, it hasn't been wasted, if it means we can finally get on with our lives without all the what if's (on my part), I can be a fully engaged parent now, in Australia :biggrin:.If you are seriously homesick and feel you need to return, go for it, but don't burn your bridges... just in case.The most philosophical thing that someone said to me on here was 'never say never' and that is so true.... I went back to Scotland with my Scottish flag flying (theoretically), with a I'll never step foot on Australia soil again attitude, and now, a year on, is planning my return to Australia. Luckily, we can return, we can even afford to ping pong our dog, our furniture and pay for our flights. You don't know how grateful I am that we can do this. I really, really, really, wish I had brought the children over for a long holiday before we went for the chop. I would have known then if it was the right thing for them without completely uprooting their lives. I know how hard it is to cope with feelings of homesickness.. it consumed my life for a good few years, but if you feel this way, why not put your Aussie life ON HOLD for a few months, go back, see how you feel and then make your decisions. The UK is not all that and a bag of chips (sorry, harking back to the old Jerry Springer days lol) but I know the pull it has on the heart strings. I realise now, that I don't have the pinings for real life, now, in the UK, but I pine for my childhood memories of when my father and grandparents were alive, going up Arthur's Seat at Easter, etc, and when the family were all young and close... it is a completely different story now and my nostalgiac thoughts about UK are just really nostaligic memories, not life as it really is now.Again, my own experience which may not relate to your own, but just wanted to, hopefully, make some people stop and think before they become fellow ping pongers! This is all hard to say, because you've really got to go through it to realise what it's like and not everyone's experience is the same. Others return and live happily ever after and that's great, but there are others, like me, who return, wanting it to be happy ever after, only to realise that they actually had happiness in Australia but the pull of their memories of the UK was enough to make them sell up and move back, only to realise the memories are not actually in UK but there, in their head, nice and portable!

Great post. Sorry to hear it hasnt worked out for you Stovies, but at least you've put it to bed so to speak... there's nothing worse than what if......? Hopefully you have some fond memories to return with and its not all bad...

Families are funny things! I completely agree, think if we had just returned solely for family we would have been disappointed, but mines a real balancing act with divorced/step family in the mix, so perhaps I kind of knew things werent going to run smoothly....! So difficult to know from the other side of the world how it's going to pan out but we were not living the dream in Perth towards the end, infact life seemed to become increasingly lonely & isolated & I struggled with some attitudes so perhaps that made the decision for returning home easier.

For us, we are at least an hour away from family in all directions in the UK and have moved to a new area which I think has helped our transition, downside of course is that, we are having to start all over again with making friends because we have been away so long and thats hard, because you need a strong network with a young family but we will get there, there is potential to do that, which helps.

I guess it depends on what life you have in Australia, if you have a good social base/support network through various friendships, live in a good area, are able to follow your hobbies/interests or sporting interests and don't have much family in the Uk, perhaps it makes it easier...?

I also wonder, that the longer you stay away, the harder the transition is on returning... 5-6 yrs maybe the backend, after that it becomes more challenging but not imposssible. Only my experience, but contact with my family started to wane after that point, like we all got on with our lives.

I'm glad we arrived back last August, in the summer, think if we'd have arrived in winter, we might have got back on the plane! (only kidding, its not been that bad) Has been nice seeing the seasons.

There's still lots of things to come together but having to learn to be patient, we've only been back 7 months. For us what makes it easiest is that the kids have settled so well. Really struggled with the early childhood system in Perth for my eldest who's 5yrs but since he's been back, he has really blossomed & made so many friends. We've moved to a village with a fantastic community which really helps. (something missing from our old live in Perth) Guess when your kids are happy, makes it easier for us!

Next chapter for us, is buying a house, think that will make a difference, am over renting now! Good luck with your next chapter Stovies....!

Yes, I definately see now that I put too much weight on the need to be back with family. I saw the children's Aussie friends with cousins, aunties, uncles etc and was worried and sad that my children didn't have that. What actually happened though, in bringing them back 'for family' is that they have basically been ignored and rejected and their self esteem, has been given a bruising. It was a thought to move to an entirely different area in Scotland after seeing how things were here, but the children are just desperate to get back to Australia so there's no point. If it was just me, then maybe I may have stayed because I love Scotland, but not quite as much as I thought, and it's not fair on the kids so back we go.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes and comments. The very best of luck to every one of you. X

Yes, I definately see now that I put too much weight on the need to be back with family. I saw the children's Aussie friends with cousins, aunties, uncles etc and was worried and sad that my children didn't have that. What actually happened though, in bringing them back 'for family' is that they have basically been ignored and rejected and there self esteem, has been given a bruising. It was a thought to move to an entirely different area in Scotland after seeing how things were here, but the children are just desperate to get back to Australia so there's no point. If it was just me, then maybe I may have stayed because I love Scotland, but not quite as much as I thought, and it's not fair on the kids so back we go.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes and comments. The very best of luck to every one of you. X

Good luck to you, so hard to know how its going to pan out. Think your kids are a bit older ay? Mine are only 5 & nearly 2yrs, so alot easier for us to be fair. Was the oldest I was most worried about & had he not been happy, I am sure we would have done the same. Think once your kids are happy it'll all come together. Families ay? who'd have 'em?! One things for sure, the experience would have made you a stronger family unit - you got each other & that is all that counts. x

Have you thought of going for a visit in the middle of winter (I always found February the worst)?

I'm afraid the only person who can make the decision is you at the end of the day - sorry!

Your not wrong there, spot on for this year where I live lol! :laugh:

Good luck to you, so hard to know how its going to pan out. Think your kids are a bit older ay? Mine are only 5 & nearly 2yrs, so alot easier for us to be fair. Was the oldest I was most worried about & had he not been happy, I am sure we would have done the same. Think once your kids are happy it'll all come together. Families ay? who'd have 'em?! One things for sure, the experience would have made you a stronger family unit - you got each other & that is all that counts. x

Yeah, my kids are 14, 12 and 10. It's definately a lot easier to move around when they're young.. once you start hitting the tween age, things can get very difficult. Families, who'd have 'em lol! So true, for me! You are right with our immediate family becoming stronger too. We were close before but now, we have a very strong closeness that is just amazing. My children have grown up so much and I am so proud of them and the conversations we have now. We have a very strong friendship and understanding of each other as a family now, too.

Thanks and good luck to you too!

Hi guys. I'm coming from a totally different perspective here, currently living in Cape Town, South Africa, so take my comments from whence they come.

For me, I find it quite astounding when hearing people talk about 'wanting to get the kids out of the UK and give them a future in Australia'. I've visited London twice and loved it both times - the second time even more. For the past couple of months I've been looking into emigration and Australia (which I've never visited in person) seemed the ideal option on paper. Like South Africa, it has (relatively) great weather, beaches and lifestyle - and the visa options are far more diverse and attainable. But the more I watched DVDs and TV shows featuring Australian cities (I've watched at least 40 so far), the more I realised I was always going to feel like it was my second-best option. I want to live in the UK and Australia could never match up, and here's why (again, in my very humble opinion):

- the affordable areas where most people live in Australia (even in Sydney and Melbourne) seem flat, devoid of established trees and valleys, and the actual houses look and feel like they're stuck in the 70s

- the level of pure history, which is linked to culture, can't be compared between the two countries

- the natural wildlife and landscapes are again vastly different - I'm an amateur wildlife photographer and the majestic beauty of the parks and countryside in the UK is unparalleled

- the travel infrastructure in London is second to none, between the tube, trains and buses

- the benefits of culture extend beyond just the many varieties found in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland, because France is around the corner and the rest of Europe just a bit further by plane

- the availability of so many extraordinary shopping alternatives in the UK really does spoil a person: from M&S right through to Borough Market and the many, many more levels of exquisite food delights available

- the BBC is unrivalled in the quality of their shows; we receive many of these programs in South Africa and I can't wait to enjoy them all

- first world access to broadband and other fast-moving technology in the UK is a given, with loads of viable and affordable options

- the love of the English language is something I appreciate very much in the UK, with all the innuendos and subtleties that wordplay allows

- and so much more, from the theatre and English humour to Sunday lunch at the pub and discovering castles and antiques

Just my impressions and preferences from where I'm sitting. I'm sure those who love Australia could make their own list quite easily. My main point with this post is just how surprising it is for me to hear UK residents wanting to leave for a 'better' life elsewhere. 'Better' is obviously a relative term, but I just wanted to let you know what a special home you have already - a home that many people from around the world would love to make theirs as well.

I agree on a lot of points with you jby but it's when children are involved it becomes not so much a choice. My children were raised and born in Australia so it is hard for them to see the joys of the UK that someone who, perhaps, was born there.. like myself. If it was just me and my husband, we would probably move away from family and settle in Scotland but it's the children that are the driving force in my situation. They want to go home to Australia. Also, a very prevailing factor is the job situation. My husband's contract here ends in March, with no other contracts in the pipeline. He has been offered a permanent position from his previous Australian employers so, even though, we wavered a bit at first, we decided it was the way to go.

I have no doubt, in the future, I will be on here wailing that I miss Scotland and all the things that I have moaned about here, ie the snow and dark 'cosy' nights but when I read over this at those times, I will be reminded of what the real situation is, for me.

I agree on a lot of points with you jby but it's when children are involved it becomes not so much a choice. My children were raised and born in Australia so it is hard for them to see the joys of the UK that someone who, perhaps, was born there.. like myself. If it was just me and my husband, we would probably move away from family and settle in Scotland but it's the children that are the driving force in my situation. They want to go home to Australia. Also, a very prevailing factor is the job situation. My husband's contract here ends in March, with no other contracts in the pipeline. He has been offered a permanent position from his previous Australian employers so, even though, we wavered a bit at first, we decided it was the way to go.

I have no doubt, in the future, I will be on here wailing that I miss Scotland and all the things that I have moaned about here, ie the snow and dark 'cosy' nights but when I read over this at those times, I will be reminded of what the real situation is, for me.

I can totally understand your decision Stovies, and I am sure you will find much happiness going home :)

Wow Stovies thank so much for posting this, we have sort of been running parallel lives I remember reading about your homesickness and how you had had enough of Australia, just at the same point I was getting quotes to have to dog shipped etc But you have done exactly what I have been too afraid to do.

Everything you have posted is all the reasons we never quite managed to book the tickets, I have an idealistic view of family and friends and feeling like we will belong. Yet the reality is that we will probably only see people for special events, my brother doesnt email me now so having contact with him in the same country seems unlikely. My parents are getting older and I would like them to see more of my daughters (2,4) before age really does get the better of them, but they are more than prepared to keep coming over here for a proper holiday visit. For every reason, I can think of an alternative to stay, but the what ifs......are quite strong. I think maybe now like you, the only way to sort this out, is to just do it and live with the consequences, our girls are at least young enough to adapt and are already well travelled.

Work however will be the deciding factor, I can see reasons for both countries, but I am struggling to find work as a teacher on the Sunshine coast after doing a stint out west. And hubby is an electrician hating the mines so I dont know how easy it would be for him back in the uk, but these are our issues.

I think now you guys will have a sense of peace with your decision, something we desire very much. Thanks again for posting and I wish you well with your return to Aus.

Lis:cute:

Hi Stovies,

Your experiences are very familiar and ones that I have felt myselsf on some levels when I went back to the UK for 4 years. I had lived in Adelaide for over 20 years and found the adjustment quite difficult at times. We have now moved back and have settled in Melbourne which we love, will never be Adelaide BUT I have realised that friends and familiarity are the key to happiness a lot of the time and the feelings I have for Adelaide encompass that also, so looking at Melbourne through knowing eyes this time we are very happy with the place, the rest will come eventually!!

Where in SA did you live and where are you heading back to?? Kath

Wow Stovies thank so much for posting this, we have sort of been running parallel lives I remember reading about your homesickness and how you had had enough of Australia, just at the same point I was getting quotes to have to dog shipped etc But you have done exactly what I have been too afraid to do. Everything you have posted is all the reasons we never quite managed to book the tickets, I have an idealistic view of family and friends and feeling like we will belong. Yet the reality is that we will probably only see people for special events, my brother doesnt email me now so having contact with him in the same country seems unlikely. My parents are getting older and I would like them to see more of my daughters (2,4) before age really does get the better of them, but they are more than prepared to keep coming over here for a proper holiday visit. For every reason, I can think of an alternative to stay, but the what ifs......are quite strong. I think maybe now like you, the only way to sort this out, is to just do it and live with the consequences, our girls are at least young enough to adapt and are already well travelled. Work however will be the deciding factor, I can see reasons for both countries, but I am struggling to find work as a teacher on the Sunshine coast after doing a stint out west. And hubby is an electrician hating the mines so I dont know how easy it would be for him back in the uk, but these are our issues.I think now you guys will have a sense of peace with your decision, something we desire very much. Thanks again for posting and I wish you well with your return to Aus.Lis:cute:
Hi Lis, I think this was something, for me, anyway, that had to be actually experienced as I am a bit of an idealistic person (or was lol) about family and how I wanted things to be with them. The sister who lives very close to me, who in fact, viewed this house for me and encouraged me to go for it, who was super gushy and excited about us coming over, who promised support, help and a caring Auntie figure for the children is the same sister who basically picked us up from the airport, let us stay with her for a week before the rot set in and has barely spoken to us since. Now, I could never have envisaged that and if I had not done what I did, I would have been forever pining for my 'lovely' sister. So, it hasn't been a wasted time here, far from it. It has given us, as you say, peace in our decision to finally settle in Australia.Work and children are huge deciding factors. You are lucky in that your daughters are so young and will settle wherever. It's when they get to 10 or 11 and up, I would say, that things get more difficult.I wish you all the very best in your decision to go or stay... keep us posted!

Hi Stovies,

Your experiences are very familiar and ones that I have felt myselsf on some levels when I went back to the UK for 4 years. I had lived in Adelaide for over 20 years and found the adjustment quite difficult at times. We have now moved back and have settled in Melbourne which we love, will never be Adelaide BUT I have realised that friends and familiarity are the key to happiness a lot of the time and the feelings I have for Adelaide encompass that also, so looking at Melbourne through knowing eyes this time we are very happy with the place, the rest will come eventually!!

Where in SA did you live and where are you heading back to?? Kath

Hi Boomerang, we lived on the Fleurieu Peninsula and will be heading back there, although we were in the country before we left, we will be going back to live in a quaint old township 20 mins away from where we used to live. Which, I have just reminded myself, 20 mins away is nothing in Aus! That 20 mins of travelling from where we used to be to where we are going is passing hills and farms, distances seem different here in the UK, I had forgotten about that! The children will be going back to the same school they left a year ago.

I didn't realise how fond I had become of the place. I was so wrapped up in my homesickness and desire to return to the UK. It is familiar and the faces of people are familiar and it is a warm, friendly, comforting place. I guess you don't know what you had until you don't have it anymore. I had to get the mind-eating bug called homesickness dealt with first before I could move on, I guess. It's great that you have settled (or are in the process of settling) down again.

Hey Stovies, just wanted to say I get where you're coming from. I think when it's the kids emotions and happiness at stake, we will do anything, put up with anything. I've done two years longer here than I would have done because of my daughter. She is happy here, doesn't really remember the UK (brought her at 3 years old), and doesn't want to go back. This would be a completely selfish move on my part, and I'm not happy about that.

I also hear what you're saying regarding family, I love my family and we are close. Back in the UK I would see them easily 2 or 3 x a week. This would be the same on returning, however....family can do your head in can't they? It's the Christmas's I feel bleak here, I would appreciate family around then. My Best mate is lovely and I know we would spend time together, however....she has her own family and how often would I see her or be involved in her life?

This is all so hard, bloody curse of the ex-pat, that's what it is!

Thank you for this post. I think sometimes you have to distance yourself from a place or situation in otrder to see the good things about it. This was exactly my case with the UK.

I love Australia but its not my home and I can truly appreciate what an amazing country my British home is having been away from it for 7 months.

Hoping to return at the end of the year

Hi guys. I'm coming from a totally different perspective here, currently living in Cape Town, South Africa, so take my comments from whence they come.

For me, I find it quite astounding when hearing people talk about 'wanting to get the kids out of the UK and give them a future in Australia'. I've visited London twice and loved it both times - the second time even more. For the past couple of months I've been looking into emigration and Australia (which I've never visited in person) seemed the ideal option on paper. Like South Africa, it has (relatively) great weather, beaches and lifestyle - and the visa options are far more diverse and attainable. But the more I watched DVDs and TV shows featuring Australian cities (I've watched at least 40 so far), the more I realised I was always going to feel like it was my second-best option. I want to live in the UK and Australia could never match up, and here's why (again, in my very humble opinion):

- the affordable areas where most people live in Australia (even in Sydney and Melbourne) seem flat, devoid of established trees and valleys, and the actual houses look and feel like they're stuck in the 70s

- the level of pure history, which is linked to culture, can't be compared between the two countries

- the natural wildlife and landscapes are again vastly different - I'm an amateur wildlife photographer and the majestic beauty of the parks and countryside in the UK is unparalleled

- the travel infrastructure in London is second to none, between the tube, trains and buses

- the benefits of culture extend beyond just the many varieties found in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland, because France is around the corner and the rest of Europe just a bit further by plane

- the availability of so many extraordinary shopping alternatives in the UK really does spoil a person: from M&S right through to Borough Market and the many, many more levels of exquisite food delights available

- the BBC is unrivalled in the quality of their shows; we receive many of these programs in South Africa and I can't wait to enjoy them all

- first world access to broadband and other fast-moving technology in the UK is a given, with loads of viable and affordable options

- the love of the English language is something I appreciate very much in the UK, with all the innuendos and subtleties that wordplay allows

- and so much more, from the theatre and English humour to Sunday lunch at the pub and discovering castles and antiques

Just my impressions and preferences from where I'm sitting. I'm sure those who love Australia could make their own list quite easily. My main point with this post is just how surprising it is for me to hear UK residents wanting to leave for a 'better' life elsewhere. 'Better' is obviously a relative term, but I just wanted to let you know what a special home you have already - a home that many people from around the world would love to make theirs as well.

Guest wondering

Fabulous post..............thanks!! It has made me think!

brilliant, I lurve this post! We have actually returned after 10 yrs & although some challenges along the way, benefits far outway the negatives. Eldest has better early years schooling, loads of friendly playgroups & activities do for kids, lurve being able to go outside & play most times of the year, rather than trying to cope with that searing heat! fab village community, countryside walks, so much to see & do. perhaps we just needed to go away to open our eyes...... Re-locating to a new area has helped us, nice to go back to the old home town but think it would have been a bad move to return to it. Being away, you change so much as people...

Archived