Which airline is best - Quantas from London or Emirates from Glasgow

littlemissnick

Hi,

We are planning a family holiday to Australia in June and are looking for the best airline to fly long haul from Scotland (direct) or via London.

Both Emirates and Quantas/BA offer best prices and I wondered if anyone had experience of both and could advise what was best.

We are travelling with a 5 and 3 year old (when travel) so thoughts on this would be great.

Any advise would be great.

Nicola

Guest Guest31881
defo recommend emirates ...out of glasgow ...have flown with them several times ....and i would never go through heathrow again

mrs keily

Coward....:biglaugh:

I would agree, avoid Heathrow if possible and Emirates has a very good reputation..

Sigh - it's QANTAS (Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Service) - there is no U in it.

However, I have always been quite satisfied with Qantas and usually travel with them but I admit I wont go code share if the plane is operated by BA. Had the flight from hell with them decades ago and boycotted for 20 years but then got one which was OK so I gave them another go until my flight back from UK a couple of trips ago - and they are in current boycott mode once more. My parents liked Emirates but I didnt think they were all that TBH but I might have just had my one "ordinary" flight with them - I dont see the hype about them

I also have Frequent Flyer points attached to my credit card so I get quite a lot of very reduced flights these days - whichever one you go for, join their FF program before you go

TBH if you are in Scotland I'd fly direct from there and save going anywhere near Heathrow. Emirates seem to get favourable reviews generally and I'd reckon you'd be fine with them.

Qantas are ok IMHO. Nothing outstanding in all the times I've flown with them, but they do a decent job. But I'd not go via Heathrow if I could fly direct out of Scotland.

Also check to make sure but I seem to recall you get a higher baggage allowance as standard in economy with Emirates.

We've done the journey from Glasgow to Perth, and if your travelling with little ones you want the least amount of travel time - which in Emirates. However there prices have recently become unreasonable. We recently priced it was going to be £700 cheaper to get the train to King Cross, get a private car to Heathrow and hotel for 2 nights and take the kids to Legoland then fly Malaysian to Perth than to fly Emirates from Glasgow.

Stupidly there Return price to Perth is £200 cheaper than flying one way ... go figure.

Guest GeorgeD

Another thumbs up for Emirates from Scotland. I have done the trip from Glasgow to Brisbane 3 times and my 76 year old father did it on his own too. Economy is perfectly comfortable, plenty of in-flight entertainment, we both really enjoyed the food, and a 30Kg baggage allowance in economy too. The connecting flights to Brisbane are also really good times, you are on and off the planes at Dubai in aroudn two hours, so time to stretch your legs, but no need to hang around.

Sigh - it's QANTAS (Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Service) - there is no U in it.

Like who cares - are you always so perfect!!!

Like most Australians who get irritated when stuck up Poms come into their country and cant even be bothered to spell the name of the national airlines properly - like that's who cares! Nothing about being perfect, just being polite

Flown both airlines many times and defiitely prefer Emirates - only fly them now and as others have said you avoid Heathrow and go straight from Glasgow which is so much easier. Also the baggage allowance on Emirates is 30kg compared to 23kg on Qantas and you can also take golf clubs for free on Emirates.

Guest GeorgeD
and you can also take golf clubs for free on Emirates.

Yup, I did this from Glasgow last year when I was migrating. It would've cost me to get extra room in my shared container to send them by ship, but Emirates would send them by plane for free as long as I travelled with them!

Like most Australians who get irritated when stuck up Poms come into their country and cant even be bothered to spell the name of the national airlines properly - like that's who cares! Nothing about being perfect, just being polite

Get a Life - I am neither stuck up or a Pom. You have done nothing for years except moan about getting back to the UK, now your a Patriotic Aussie? Do you own Qantas that your so uptight how people spell the name!

Lucky you if thats all you have to worry about!!!!!!

Emirates were great with my kids when we flew from Glasgow - even took photo's of them during the flight and put them in frames with dates etc.

Flying direct from Glasgow saves hassle of Heathrow and breaks up flights into 3 legs of approx 7 hours each which I prefer.

Guest tandcmum

if you can fly straight from Glasgow I would jump at the chance. We have looked at it for our flights but as we are going up to Townsville, Emirates works out a lot more expensive for us and we would lose our luggage allowance on the domestic leg so it looks like Qantas via Heathrow for us

Get a Life - I am neither stuck up or a Pom. You have done nothing for years except moan about getting back to the UK, now your a Patriotic Aussie? Do you own Qantas that your so uptight how people spell the name!

Lucky you if thats all you have to worry about!!!!!!

Nope not a patriotic Aussie at all but I am sure the OP wont want to look like a dork when they arrive in Australia and cant spell the name of the national airline correctly - Aussies will snigger!

BTW that should have been you're not your seeing as I am being in pedant mode this lovely Monday morning LOL

Take a chill pill pal

Nope not a patriotic Aussie at all but I am sure the OP wont want to look like a dork when they arrive in Australia and cant spell the name of the national airline correctly - Aussies will snigger!

BTW that should have been you're not your seeing as I am being in pedant mode this lovely Monday morning LOL

Take a chill pill pal

Half the Aussies cant spell either - whats the big issue - were you on the Endeavour with Captain Cook when he found Australia since you are such an authority on the country and its people.

Wow - I have had quite a number of replies - thanks all.

Flights booked with Emirates - luckily managed to book before they went up £1k - so Australia here we come!!

Hope I have not started to much of a war on the page with my mis-spelling of Qantas!!

Nah dont worry about the spelling (you now know!LOL) - another acronym just in case you ever forget is Queers and Nancies Trained as Stewards LOL.

Glad you got the good deal before the prices went up!

Archived