Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Guest MCPD310

Dear Craig

I wondered if you might be able to kindly help with my query. Im moving back to Sydney after living in London for the past 6 years and want to send over my car, but unsure if financially viable option.

Its a 2010 5 door SE Polo Volkswagen, 1.4L petrol engine with 5 spd manual and 7 speed auto DSG. Its done about 8000 miles and has air conditioning. The car doesn’t have any real modifications or features apart from metallic black pearl paint. I think a realistic UK market value would be £9000 - £10 000.

Have checked out redbook and could not find exact model but the private price guide of 1.2L auto polo was $14 100 – 16 000AUD. Similar problem when I looked on car sales.com but a similar vehicles wer priced at $19 990 – 22 000 AUD.

Any assistance with this is really appreciated as there is so much conflicting information out there. Thanks very much for your help.

George

Guest Guest67761
Dear Craig

I wondered if you might be able to kindly help with my query. Im moving back to Sydney after living in London for the past 6 years and want to send over my car, but unsure if financially viable option.

Its a 2010 5 door SE Polo Volkswagen, 1.4L petrol engine with 5 spd manual and 7 speed auto DSG. Its done about 8000 miles and has air conditioning. The car doesn’t have any real modifications or features apart from metallic black pearl paint. I think a realistic UK market value would be £9000 - £10 000.

Have checked out redbook and could not find exact model but the private price guide of 1.2L auto polo was $14 100 – 16 000AUD. Similar problem when I looked on car sales.com but a similar vehicles wer priced at $19 990 – 22 000 AUD.

Any assistance with this is really appreciated as there is so much conflicting information out there. Thanks very much for your help.

George

Hi George,

If you can get more than £9,000 for this car before you leave for Australia then that would most likely be the best way to go. If you did import it to Australia it would end up costing close to AUD $7,000 all up including ADR compliance and road registration costs, which would end up with the car owing you around the same price as buying a similar one when you got here. Of course if you are keen to keep the car then there would most likely be no financial loss in bringing it either, just the time and hassle of the paperwork. On the other hand if it worked out that the car was only able to be sold for around £8,000 or less then you should look at bringing it with you instead.

Please let me know if you needed any more information or advice at all.

Regards,

Craig.

hi have been reading this thread and was hoping for help. oh car is

bmw 330 ci se 2003 90.000 miles on clock.

aus price 18_21000

to sell in n.ireland £4000

many thanks.xo

No matter how you look at this car it's worth bringing with you to Australia for sure. I did some quick figures on both convertible and coupe versions and also looked at the different states of Australia for costs, and the good news is that they all work out exceptionally well.

Please complete the online cost estimate request form with more details at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate so I can do the full calculation for you and give other possibly helpful advice.

Best wishes,

Craig.

Hi Kakimoto,

Thanks for the reply.

I have since spoken to a shipping company regarding furniture and they have said the car can share the container so no need for separate shipping fee,

The only costs they said there would be is;

the first charge was for 5% value of the car - £300

then the gst would be 10% of that total cost so £6000 + £300 total of £6300 = 10% fee @ £630.

they said there would be some registration fees but thats all.

Have they got this wrong or am I reading your reply incorrently?....your figures seem very high, especially the customs and port fees.

Any help is appreciated

Regards

Dan

Take heed of Kakimoto's advice as that estimate is quite optimistic from the shippers.

I trot this out quite frequently but here were my costs, bearing in mind I shipped as a separate item:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know-75.html#post1345744

• Make : Porsche
  • Model : Cayenne
  • Model Type ; 3.2 V6
  • Body Type : 4x4
  • Engine size : 3.2 V6
  • Transmission : Manual
  • Year of Manufacture : 2005
  • Mileage : 68K
  • Condition : Good
  • What you believe the car is worth in the UK ? : £10,500
  • Thanks

Guest Guest67761

• Make : Porsche

• Model : Cayenne

• Model Type ; 3.2 V6

• Body Type : 4x4

• Engine size : 3.2 V6

• Transmission : Manual

• Year of Manufacture : 2005

• Mileage : 68K

• Condition : Good

• What you believe the car is worth in the UK ? : £10,500

• Thanks

I have replied to your email as there was more information there so I could give a better response.

Regards,

Craig.

• 2 weeks later...

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture 2007 (57 plate)

- make, model & variant Vauxhall Vectra Exclusive

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type 2 ltr diesel

- transmission manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage 101000

- any special features, options or modification bluetooth, cruise control, tinted windows

- does it have aircon yes

- realistic current UK market value £4000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) can't really find my model but based on the info i can find a 2004 model is between $27000-42000

oh and state in NSW

thanx in advance xx:biggrin:

Guest Guest67761
What I need from you:

- year of manufacture 2007 (57 plate)

- make, model & variant Vauxhall Vectra Exclusive

- engine size & fuel type 2 ltr diesel

- transmission manual

- mileage 101000

- any special features, options or modification bluetooth, cruise control, tinted windows

- realistic current UK market value £4000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) can't really find my model but based on the info i can find a 2004 model is between $27000-42000

oh and state in NSW

thanx in advance xx:biggrin:

Being a model that was not sold in Australia after 2005 it's hard to put a value on it for Australian Customs purposes so all I can do at this stage is make a best guess which should be moderately accurate however you should only take it as a ballpark figure for now.

I would expect your overall costs to be somewhere around $6,100 to $6,500 including ADR compliance and road registration costs as well as our service fee, so there should be no other hidden costs at all.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you needed a more detailed breakdown then please email me more information and a couple of photos of the car so I can try to work out a more exact valuation.

Regards,

Craig.

Edited by Guest67761

Guest Guest74865

Hello - New to the forum

Moving to ACT at the end of 2012/early 2013. Had presumed that I would sell my car before leaving but now having second thoughts after having read up on importing my car.

- year of manufacture 2007 ('07 plate)

- make, model & variant Ford Focus Zetec

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Hatchback

- engine size & fuel type 1.8 litre petrol

- transmission Manual

- drive type Front Wheel Drive

- mileage 35,000 Miles / 56,000KM

- any special features, options or modification No

- does it have aircon Yes

- realistic current UK market value £5000

- Australian RedBook value $19,990 - $47,490

- Australian market value $15,000 (not including stamp duty or other charges)

- which Australian state/city ACT

Hi there,

We had also assumed would sell ours but this is useful so if you could let me know on the following - reckon it will be a cat c personally!!

- year of manufacture 2005 ('05 plate)

- make, model & variant Renault Grand Scenic (7 seater)

- engine size & fuel type 1.6 litre petrol

- transmission Manual

- mileage 75,000 Miles

- does it have aircon Yes (although currently not working but can be fixed!)

- realistic current UK market value £2,500

- Australian RedBook value wouldn't find that make & model

- Australian market value 2007 plate between $12,750 - $16,990

- which Australian state/city Perth, Western Australia

Thank you in advance!

Ali

Hi,

We are now progressing through the 175 visa route with just police and meds to be sorted.

We are seriously considering shipping our car over but now need to start understanding what the likely costs associated will be and advice on whether this is the best decision, rather than sell now and save.

Ours is - year of manufacture 2009

- make, model & variant Audi A4 3.0 TDI quattro

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Saloon

- engine size & fuel type 3.0 Diesel

- transmission manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) Quattro

- mileage 64,000

- any special features, options or modification climate control, sun roof, sports seats, heated leather seats, telephone, audi hill hold assist, digital radio, Bang & Olufsen.

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

We are now at the stage where we could, through the finance arrangement, hand the car back or continue to pay the finance and own out right. If it makes financial sense we will do that but need to know what the likely shipping costs and any other associated works/costs will need to be met.

Thanks for your help.

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

Ford Galaxy GTI

MPV/people carrier

- engine size & fuel type

1.8 Diesel

- transmission

Manual

front wheel (i think)

- mileage

130,000 km

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon

Yes

£10-12,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

Not on site

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

some where around $20-30,000, very hard to find anything truely similar.

- which Australian state/city

WA

Love my car, but am afraid of repair costs if I bring it.

Guest Guest67761
Hello - New to the forum

Moving to ACT at the end of 2012/early 2013. Had presumed that I would sell my car before leaving but now having second thoughts after having read up on importing my car.

- year of manufacture 2007 ('07 plate)

- make, model & variant Ford Focus Zetec

- engine size & fuel type 1.8 litre petrol

- transmission Manual

- mileage 35,000 Miles / 56,000KM

- does it have aircon Yes

- realistic current UK market value £5000

- Australian RedBook value $19,990 - $47,490

- Australian market value $15,000 (not including stamp duty or other charges)

- which Australian state/city ACT

I replied to your message through our website so I hope you received that already, if not or in case you have any other questions then please feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Craig.

Hi there,

We had also assumed would sell ours but this is useful so if you could let me know on the following - reckon it will be a cat c personally!!

- year of manufacture 2005 ('05 plate)

- make, model & variant Renault Grand Scenic (7 seater)

- engine size & fuel type 1.6 litre petrol

- transmission Manual

- mileage 75,000 Miles

- does it have aircon Yes (although currently not working but can be fixed!)

- realistic current UK market value £2,500

- Australian RedBook value wouldn't find that make & model

- Australian market value 2007 plate between $12,750 - $16,990

- which Australian state/city Perth, Western Australia

Thank you in advance!

Ali

Hi Ali,

Being a year model that was not sold here in Australia means that we won't be able to do a direct comparison with a local model so I can only give you a ballpark figure at this stage, however if you are interested in knowing more then we can look further into the costs and try to work out a more exact breakdown for you.

I calculate that this car would cost you roughly $4,100 for all shipping costs (including £1270 for ocean freight due to the height) + around $1,650 in Australian compliance and road registration costs + $50 import approval application fee + $990 if you choose our full 'A' Package service ... all up this is around $6,800 to get this car into Australia and on the road in total.

Let me know if you need to know more.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi,

We are now progressing through the 175 visa route with just police and meds to be sorted.

We are seriously considering shipping our car over but now need to start understanding what the likely costs associated will be and advice on whether this is the best decision, rather than sell now and save.

Ours is - year of manufacture 2009

- make, model & variant Audi A4 3.0 TDI quattro

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Saloon

- engine size & fuel type 3.0 Diesel

- transmission manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) Quattro

- mileage 64,000

- any special features, options or modification climate control, sun roof, sports seats, heated leather seats, telephone, audi hill hold assist, digital radio, Bang & Olufsen.

We are now at the stage where we could, through the finance arrangement, hand the car back or continue to pay the finance and own out right. If it makes financial sense we will do that but need to know what the likely shipping costs and any other associated works/costs will need to be met.

Thanks for your help.

Based on the information provided I have come up with the following likely costs to get this car into Australia and on the road with everything covered. This is assuming you are moving to Perth as an example so other states might vary a little. Also assuming that you would be shipping the car on it's own by normal RORO service. If any of this is incorrect and you needed more information specific to your situation and/or a more exact price breakdown then please let me know.

--shipping costs --

$1,419 ocean freight

$272 insurance (optional)

$1,500 customs & port fees

$1,131 import duty

$2,545 GST

-- road registration costs --

$800 ADR compliance

$150 roadworthy requirements

$600 registration (12 months)

$622 stamp duty

-- other costs --

$50 import approval application

$990 Iron Lady Imports fee ('A' Package)

These prices are at the top end of the possible scale as we usually tend to over allow a little to give you a sort of 'worst case scenario' situation, so it could well come in under this estimate however even using this as a base I would still suggest that you bring this car with you id possible as it will end up owing you a decent amount less than the market value of similar vehicle on the market in Australia, even more so if you were going to lose out by handing it back to the finance company and get nothing in return.

Not to mention that this is a truly beautiful motor vehicle!

Regards,

Craig.

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

Ford Galaxy GTI

MPV/people carrier

1.8 Diesel

- transmission

Manual

front wheel (i think)

- mileage

130,000 km

- does it have aircon

Yes

£10-12,000

Not on site

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

some where around $20-30,000, very hard to find anything truely similar.

WA

Love my car, but am afraid of repair costs if I bring it.

I would probably advise against bringing this car with you. Firstly being totally different to any model here in Australia means possible trouble with sourcing parts if you damage it, insurance could cost more, the resale value would suffer, etc ... add to that the fact that it's worth more over there than it would be here and it's a simple decision really.

We like to help you keep your car but when the number and circumstances just don't add up right then we have to be honest.

Sincerely,

Craig.

Guest zike08

Hello Iron Chef,

Not sure if you got my previous email via your website, but was hoping to get some advice regarding our family car and whether it can join us or not in Perth. Details are as follows...

2008 Honda FRV EX

MPV

2.2 Diesel Front wheeled drive

6 speed manual

55000 Miles

Full works including climate control, cruise control, leather (and heated front seats!? As if we'll be needing them in Oz!!! :wink:)

UK Value £9000

Oz Value/Redbook - No value available, don't think the FRV was ever released there?

Cheers!!

Hi Iron chief. could you advse on bringing my

Ford Ranger Thunder...2004... 115k miles

4x4 dual cab ..aircon...rear cover..

Same as ford courier over there....

Price here£4000

price there $14000

just wanted to take it as ive owned it over 3yrs and been really reliable!!

I,ve no intentions off selling it and will be driving into the ground!

Would be going in a container with house goods,.

Thanks Gerry

Guest Guest67761
Hello Iron Chef,

Not sure if you got my previous email via your website, but was hoping to get some advice regarding our family car and whether it can join us or not in Perth. Details are as follows...

2008 Honda FRV EX

MPV

2.2 Diesel Front wheeled drive

6 speed manual

55000 Miles

Full works including climate control, cruise control, leather (and heated front seats!? As if we'll be needing them in Oz!!! :wink:)

UK Value £9000

Oz Value/Redbook - No value available, don't think the FRV was ever released there?

Cheers!!

I have replied to your email already. Please let me know if you have not received it for some reason, or if you need any more information at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Chef,

We are a family of four moving to Melbourne in January 2013 and currently have two cars in the UK, which we need to whittle down to one to ship, or trade them both in in order to ship the replacement…if you see what i mean?… So if you could assess both of them for us please:

SAAB 900 S Turbo Classic

1985cc petrol engine, manual gearbox

No aircon

68,000 miles - good condition

Front wheel drive

5 door, sun roof

Aussie Red Book Private Price Guide $1,400 - $3,100

UK price guide £1000

Renault Megane Scenic Privilege

1870cc diesel, manual gearbox

Aircon

Front wheel drive

95,000 miles

5 door, 2x sunroof

Aussie Red Book Private Price Guide $2,800 - $4,200 (for nearest model i could find which was petrol)

UK price guide £1800

Your help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Darius

Guest Guest67761
Hi can you give as your opinion on the following?

VW Touran

60,000 miles

1.9 turbo diesel

Manual 6 gears

Air con

Value in UK £5,000

7 seater

Can't find a similar car in Oz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would probably not suggest bringing this car along looking at the costs to import this car compared to it's likely value in Australia, assuming you can get the £5,000 for it at home. Of course if you were unable to sell it for near that value and/or you had some specific attachment to it then it might be worth considering.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Chef,

We are a family of four moving to Melbourne in January 2013 and currently have two cars in the UK, which we need to whittle down to one to ship, or trade them both in in order to ship the replacement…if you see what i mean?… So if you could assess both of them for us please:

SAAB 900 S Turbo Classic

1985cc petrol engine, manual gearbox

No aircon

68,000 miles - good condition

Front wheel drive

5 door, sun roof

Aussie Red Book Private Price Guide $1,400 - $3,100

UK price guide £1000

Renault Megane Scenic Privilege

1870cc diesel, manual gearbox

Aircon

Front wheel drive

95,000 miles

5 door, 2x sunroof

Aussie Red Book Private Price Guide $2,800 - $4,200 (for nearest model i could find which was petrol)

UK price guide £1800

Your help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Darius

Hi Darius,

The cheapest cost you would be looking at to bring the cheapest car to Australia would be around AUD$5,800 for just the basics to get it here, cleared from customs, complied to meet ADR's and registered for road use, so any car that is worth less than that would almost certainly not be worth bringing along unless you had some special attachment to the car or just wanted to bring it for some reason regardless of the cost.

Neither of these cars would work out well financially however if you were keen to bring them still and wanted a proper cost calculation then please let me know.

Please also note that you must have owned and used a car for at least 12 months before moving to Australia if you are planning to bring it along under the Personal Import Scheme, so if you were to purchase a new car now then you would not get import approval if you are moving in January.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi chef,we are heading to perth in mid oct,just wondering if i should bother bringing my ford transit,its a 2006

transit 260 swb van, 2 ltr turbo diesel,its got 11400 on the clock.It has no air con.

Any help would be great chef,thanks.

Guest Cazza THFC
Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using our most complete 'A Package' service at AUD990 (it's set up for our customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) an estimated Australian Customs value calculated for your specific vehicle

5) includes customs duty, GST and LCT where necessary

6) a set figure for customs clearance (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

7) includes the cost of Australian Customs valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

8) includes allowance for the minor modifications needed before registration

9) includes road registration and stamp duty costs (for a "no surprises" all inclusive cost estimate)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- transmission

- mileage

- does it have aircon

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out :biggrin:

Hi Iron Lady, hopefully you can give me an idea of whether it is worth bringing our motor........

-Nissan Qashqai (Dualis)

-Hatchback

-1.6L unleaded

-Manual

-Front wheel drive

-12000 miles

-duraguard seat coating and pearl black paint

-AC

-Worth £11000 GBP

-Guide range $20-23k

-Aus market value $23k

-Brisbane

Cheers

Cazza

Hi,

I hope you can still do this for Euro prices. We're shipping from Ireland and the car will be in a container with our furniture (40ft instead of 20ft for furniture alone). Here's the details and thanks a mil.

- year of manufacture 2002

- make, model & variant Honda Civic

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Sedan - 4 door (1.4) S

- engine size & fuel type 1396 cc Unleaded

- transmission automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) ?

- mileage 71,022km

- does it have aircon yes - but needs fixin

- realistic current UK market value €3400

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) - $5,700 - $7,400

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) - $8250

- which Australian state/city Central Coast, NSW

Hi Ironlady,

Can yuo advise if worthwhile shipping from Ireland?

- year of manufacture 2007

- make, model & variant VW Passat

- body type - 4 door saloon

- engine size & fuel type 2.0L Diesel

- transmission Manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) ? front wheel drive

- mileage 225,000KMS

- realistic current UK market value €8250 Ireland

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) -

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) - $20000

- which Australian state/city Central Coast, NSW