Fossicking Around Australia

Bobj

We're going the other way unfortunately ( there are watermelons, pumpkins and blueberries with our names on ready to be picked!)

Shout out various trips though - we will be back to the gemfields and if hubby has his way, staking our own claim next time ( lord help us LOL )

About 1 km short of The Willows c'van park, have a walk UP the little creeks and see what has been deposited in the alluvials...Just a tip, hey?

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're going the other way unfortunately ( there are watermelons, pumpkins and blueberries with our names on ready to be picked!)

Shout out various trips though - we will be back to the gemfields and if hubby has his way, staking our own claim next time ( lord help us LOL )

Here you go, Pix...The Keep River, north western Northern Territory. Fabulous country.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=keep+river&hl=en&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=vSY&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=iTyMULSGDamRigfWr4FI&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=572

Cheers, Bobj.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Little one has moved his collection from one place to another today he bought some shelving. I have been asked to post some photos for him they are only with my iPhone and quickly taken. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352465621.585683.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352465621.585683.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen

I've been told my photography skills are rubbish and they just look like stones, umm.. To me they are lol, no seriously he has some stunning ones and some very precious ones thanks to a very precious couple :hug:

So today I was browsing a local market stall in the Blue Mountains and came across a beaut old bloke who sold gems and the like, he even made a few into pendants. Came away with a very beautiful quartz crystal (so says on label) that came from Oberon. It is very nice! :yes: Wherever I end up living in the future it feels nice to know I will take a piece of NSW with us.

• 2 weeks later...

We are still going through our bucket of sapphire dirt collected from the gemfields - we were told by a local about a spot where there had been a mine years ago, and there are still loads and loads of tiny tiny chips all over the floor from their processing. It doesn't have take a long time, but Xmas pressies are sorted hopefully, just another carrier bag of dirt to go through (pin head sizes chips, but they sparkle nicely!). Will post a piccie of the finished article when we've gotten all creative with our stuff :)

Guest The Pom Queen
We are still going through our bucket of sapphire dirt collected from the gemfields - we were told by a local about a spot where there had been a mine years ago, and there are still loads and loads of tiny tiny chips all over the floor from their processing. It doesn't have take a long time, but Xmas pressies are sorted hopefully, just another carrier bag of dirt to go through (pin head sizes chips, but they sparkle nicely!). Will post a piccie of the finished article when we've gotten all creative with our stuff :)

Sounds fantastic

Guest The Pom Queen
Please remember everyone to check if the ground you are on is staked ground and if it is, please follow the rules. Those of us who do this for a living will pretty much always happy to help and help keep you safe. But we can have serious sense of humor failure if people don't tell us.

You mean like the station owners at Palmer River who took it too far http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-31/couple-accused-of-murdering-missing-gold-prospector/4343318

bobj do you think it is worth getting a geologist pick to pick out small specimens of crystal rather than using a hammer which may damage the crystal?

Ahhh! The big question, young Sir. I have ruined a few excellent crystals by using a geo pick.:sad: If the specimen is too big to take easily, it pays to leave it, so I have found. On the other hand, you might miss out on a superb geode full of amethyst and or agate.

By all means, get a geo pick, but use it sparingly AND WEAR SAFETY GLASSES when hitting rocks!

But don't you dare bust that crystal specimen I sent, or I'll be over and tan ya bum!:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. Remember that good geo picks are quite expensive.

Guest The Pom Queen
bobj do you think it is worth getting a geologist pick to pick out small specimens of crystal rather than using a hammer which may damage the crystal?

Is it a geo pick you mean, I thought you bought that at Richmond, Bob he means a little tiny thing to get tiny gems out of a small stone, I think lol.

Guest The Pom Queen
i might be wrong but is a geo pick a very small thing to pick out small specimens of Crystal i do not mean one of these th?id=I.4783318750396823&pid=1.9

The one in the picture is what you bought in Richmond

Is it a geo pick you mean, I thought you bought that at Richmond, Bob he means a little tiny thing to get tiny gems out of a small stone, I think lol.

OK, better to NOT remove it if the specimen is esthetic, rather than damage a nice cluster of crystals. A jeweller's loupe would be a fine addition to the kit to be able to see the smaller and very beautiful crystals.

Cheers, Bobj.

th?id=I.5059154414338379&pid=1.9a bit like this but smaller and thinner and sharper

I have a cold hammer for splitting a few rocks, but as I mentioned earlier, better to leave a specimen rather than bust it up and perhaps ruin millions of years of natural manufacture.

Cheers, Bobj.