Fossicking Around Australia

Bobj

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

This fossiking lark is harder than it sounds - we've found nothing at all, not a tiny chip, not a bean on our current outing - we are trying our luck at Glenelva FA near Emerald, but feel a bit like we have no idea what we are doing tbh lol. Apparently I seem to have an eye for spotting even the smallest, most fractured bit of stone in a pile of wash, however there just aren't any in the bits we are digging in it seems (plus we don't have any of the proper kit, which I think is a massive hindrance) - although the people that have been here before us seem to have semi-industrial set ups looking at the neat piles of sand/small rock/big rocks - no idea where the tiny discarded rocks from the pan-able wash are though, so we are thinking maybe they do a first general sieving here and take the proper wash home to go through at leisure? No idea, plus the ground is mega hard - it also looks like most of the excavations have happened when the ground was wet - which would certainly be a lot easier to dig than now lol.

Oh well, will go back to Pat's and probably just get another little bag of flawed chips for our efforts instead, and at least we will have something to take away from our time here lol :)

This fossiking lark is harder than it sounds - we've found nothing at all, not a tiny chip, not a bean on our current outing - we are trying our luck at Glenelva FA near Emerald, but feel a bit like we have no idea what we are doing tbh lol. Apparently I seem to have an eye for spotting even the smallest, most fractured bit of stone in a pile of wash, however there just aren't any in the bits we are digging in it seems (plus we don't have any of the proper kit, which I think is a massive hindrance) - although the people that have been here before us seem to have semi-industrial set ups looking at the neat piles of sand/small rock/big rocks - no idea where the tiny discarded rocks from the pan-able wash are though, so we are thinking maybe they do a first general sieving here and take the proper wash home to go through at leisure? No idea, plus the ground is mega hard - it also looks like most of the excavations have happened when the ground was wet - which would certainly be a lot easier to dig than now lol.

Oh well, will go back to Pat's and probably just get another little bag of flawed chips for our efforts instead, and at least we will have something to take away from our time here lol :)

The sapphire wash in the area is very hard but with Percy Verence and Percy P Rayshun, it can be done. The trick is to find the big billystones and dig out the wash material from them and sieve the lot. A mate threw a 108 carat sapphire over his shoulder. Luckily, his wife asked what "this" stone was and told him he had just tossed it away!! Dunno what they did with it after they showed it to me as they left the community.

I found a 92 carat 'sapphire' actually only corundum while walking up a stream bed, but it was only worth about $150. Found a 21 carat green on the road to The Willows 40 years ago...

Good fun, innit??:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

bobj have you ever found a dinosaur fossil?

PS in i think cloncurrey i found heaps of opals:yes:

I have a fossil tooth from a DIPROTODON, similar to a giant wombat. Look it up on google. mate.

Never heard of opals from the 'Curry. It is noted for copper.

Cheers, Bobj.

how would you know which animal the tooth is from?

It was identified by a paleontologist from the University of New England, NSW.:yes:

Actually, it came from a sapphire mine my mate had and he swapped it with me for an amethyst geode

Cheers, Bobj.

The sapphire wash in the area is very hard but with Percy Verence and Percy P Rayshun, it can be done. The trick is to find the big billystones and dig out the wash material from them and sieve the lot. A mate threw a 108 carat sapphire over his shoulder. Luckily, his wife asked what "this" stone was and told him he had just tossed it away!! Dunno what they did with it after they showed it to me as they left the community.

I found a 92 carat 'sapphire' actually only corundum while walking up a stream bed, but it was only worth about $150. Found a 21 carat green on the road to The Willows 40 years ago...

Good fun, innit??:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks for the tips - to be honest I think.our main issue is the fact we were seiving with little more than a kitchen sieve tbh LOL, although.the main point of the trip was to get away from people, which was a massive success, and to just see if its something we like or not, again successful as we found we do ( even if we are pants LOL) . Certainly something that will go on the list of things to revisit ( the point of the whole trip really) and a possible lifestyle once the kiddies have grown and gone.

Who knows if we will be lucky another day ( with a better sieve and more water LOL)

Guest The Pom Queen

Squarepants you have seen the Diprotodon if you remember back

I have a fossil tooth from a DIPROTODON, similar to a giant wombat. Look it up on google. mate.

Never heard of opals from the 'Curry. It is noted for copper.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen

So you heard we were back in Cairns and did a runner :wink:

You could have tried panning for Gold whilst you were up this way. Also a lot of quartz crystal is around Cooktown.

Thanks for the tips - to be honest I think.our main issue is the fact we were seiving with little more than a kitchen sieve tbh LOL, although.the main point of the trip was to get away from people, which was a massive success, and to just see if its something we like or not, again successful as we found we do ( even if we are pants LOL) . Certainly something that will go on the list of things to revisit ( the point of the whole trip really) and a possible lifestyle once the kiddies have grown and gone.

Who knows if we will be lucky another day ( with a better sieve and more water LOL)

So you heard we were back in Cairns and did a runner :wink:

You could have tried panning for Gold whilst you were up this way. Also a lot of quartz crystal is around Cooktown.

LOL - we kept going back to Cairns, several times, usually because something had gone wrong with the car though and we needed to buy a new car battery/get a diff seal repaired and other little things (annoying). On which note - if you need anything doing with your car (anyone) in Cairns, definitely go to Brakes 'n' Safety - SO amazingly good for a mechanic I cannot believe it - something that we very easily could have been charged several grand for, only cost $120, he was SO honest, SO friendly, SO professional and SO quick I cannot believe it (a million miles away from our awful Peter Kittle adventure in Alice Springs - terrible garage!) - he is on the industrial estate on the East side of Cairns, a couple of streets over from Scott St I think - but completely best mechanic ever :D We now have a bit of a post issue with Cairns, as our post may or may not be there, and we aren't - annoying.com ( we seem to be having a bit of bother with our post forwarding company, in that she just isn't forwarding it when she says she is, which means we have issues as it then goes to somewhere we were but have now moved on - grrrr....)

We kept being told off here in the Gemfields for going 'awwww, the quartz is just sooo pretty', being told firmly that it is a very minor stone, and no-one is interested (apart from us lol) in it - ho hum :P

And given our success with sapphires (which was MUCH better today - we got two that are actually able to be cut, which is all I wanted, so we can set it in something tiny as a family heirloom - not sure they are worth anything at all, although one may be worth a little from what we have learnt so far, so will have to see), I don't think Gold would be much good either lol. Never mind, its all fun :)

Guest The Pom Queen
LOL - we kept going back to Cairns, several times, usually because something had gone wrong with the car though and we needed to buy a new car battery/get a diff seal repaired and other little things (annoying). On which note - if you need anything doing with your car (anyone) in Cairns, definitely go to Brakes 'n' Safety - SO amazingly good for a mechanic I cannot believe it - something that we very easily could have been charged several grand for, only cost $120, he was SO honest, SO friendly, SO professional and SO quick I cannot believe it (a million miles away from our awful Peter Kittle adventure in Alice Springs - terrible garage!) - he is on the industrial estate on the East side of Cairns, a couple of streets over from Scott St I think - but completely best mechanic ever :D We now have a bit of a post issue with Cairns, as our post may or may not be there, and we aren't - annoying.com ( we seem to be having a bit of bother with our post forwarding company, in that she just isn't forwarding it when she says she is, which means we have issues as it then goes to somewhere we were but have now moved on - grrrr....)

We kept being told off here in the Gemfields for going 'awwww, the quartz is just sooo pretty', being told firmly that it is a very minor stone, and no-one is interested (apart from us lol) in it - ho hum :P

And given our success with sapphires (which was MUCH better today - we got two that are actually able to be cut, which is all I wanted, so we can set it in something tiny as a family heirloom - not sure they are worth anything at all, although one may be worth a little from what we have learnt so far, so will have to see), I don't think Gold would be much good either lol. Never mind, its all fun :)

If your post is local I can collect just let me know.

Im glad you found a couple of sapphires in the end, don't tell Squarepants as he will be wanting another weekend away. We have only just got the car back today and that's with a quarter of the work being done, the rest will have to wait.

Re garages in Cairns just be careful you don't end up at the one where the young couple were murdered for questioning their bill :no:

Guest TheArmChairDetective
We don't need Crimewatch over here, it's not like the UK you know.

Ssssssssssh, don't let people know that, they will all want to migrate there. Mind you I'm sure someone will be along sooner rather than later with an armful of stats proving you wrong:biggrin:

Getting another trip on the drawing boards, amethysts and agates from the Antrim Plateau, NT and prehnite from the Ord River, WA...Any one interested?? Some, well lots of bush camping Bobj style...:laugh:

Then a couple of fishing trips for barra...

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
Getting another trip on the drawing boards, amethysts and agates from the Antrim Plateau, NT and prehnite from the Ord River, WA...Any one interested?? Some, well lots of bush camping Bobj style...:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

I know someone who would be shouting out to tag along :laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

We're going the other way unfortunately ( there are watermelons, pumpkins and blueberries with our names on ready to be picked!)

Shout out various trips though - we will be back to the gemfields and if hubby has his way, staking our own claim next time ( lord help us LOL )