Fossicking Around Australia

Bobj

The stuff you find yourself is always priceless Bobj. I can't wait to get the chance to go fossicking for little treasures, not the monetary value that counts it's the experience of finding your own little gems. As you already know I love my crystals. But If it's set in jewellery Garnets are my favourite. I also love moonstones in jewellery.

Sunstone from NE of The Alice

Picture299.jpg

Quartz crystal from The Pilbara, WA.

Picture307.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Pom Queen
Forgot this dollop, from SW Qld. And worth a few $$$$

Picture1345.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

My youngest son says please can we have a thread on what you have found :wink: he got a metal detector for Christmas although he likes finding old pottery even if it is broken in to a million pieces :wub:

He says please can I tell you he found a full glass bottle with a British and American flag on.

Guest Bleeding Thorn13
Love finding the rough stuff. Found gold, garnets, topaz, emerald, beryl etc. But nowt worth a cracker.:laugh:

cheers, Bobj.

Gidday mate,

Love your work Bobj, you never know mate when you will find something spectacular, there's still plenty of it out there. I used to live near Lightning Ridge, there was a lot of minerals around & it didn't take much to find them...I also know of a place where you can find Black Amythest, which is a truly stunning gem to find in it's natural form...nice pics mate...:smile::cool:

crystal_4ba947b19dc82.jpg

Guest Bleeding Thorn13
Please share Thorn via pm if you wish :wink:

Hi Kate...Which part do you wish me to share?, my body is a sacred sight you know, & giving your current condition I don't want to be held responsible for a sudden rise in temperature...:wink::animal-bat:

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Kate...Which part do you wish me to share?, my body is a sacred sight you know, & giving your current condition I don't want to be held responsible for a sudden rise in temperature...:wink::animal-bat:

:laugh: I asked for that didn't I :tongue: don't worry your body is safe I'm after the amythest :wubclub:

Guest Bleeding Thorn13
:laugh: I asked for that didn't I :tongue: don't worry your body is safe I'm after the amythest :wubclub:

Ha ha ha, indeed you did Kate, that door was wide open, I know my body is safe & it's tightly chained, just havin a bit of fun :smile:, I'm in a very good mood so you get too see a very different side which is rare...ah the ameythest, yes I can share with you if you would like to know the corordinates, a bit of a hard find the black amythest, you have too work hard to find it but it's worth it when you do...:animal-bat::smile:

Ha ha ha, indeed you did Kate, that door was wide open, I know my body is safe & it's tightly chained, just havin a bit of fun :smile:, I'm in a very good mood so you get too see a very different side which is rare...ah the ameythest, yes I can share with you if you would like to know the corordinates, a bit of a hard find the black amythest, you have too work hard to find it but it's worth it when you do...:animal-bat::smile:

Just to let you know, black quarz is known as Morion, or Cairngorm, which is another way of saying smokey quartz.

Got some from the East Kimberley region, an area known as The Antrim Plateau, around the basalt flows. Plenty of agates, amethyst and prehnite, too. As a matter of fact, if you go to the Ord River at Ivanhoe Crossing, you can see the basalt; it's just a matter of going to the other side from the town and looking at the gravel wash for agates, or going to the river behind the airport for squillions of agates. Prehnite can be found above the Ivanhoe Crossing.

http://crystal-cure.com/prehnite.html

Also, a very rare stone to be found in the Kununurra area...Zebra Stone.

http://www.earthmuseum.see.uwa.edu.au/__data/page/48912/Zebra_Rock2.pdf

Bugga...Nearly forgot, used to mine sapphires out from Glen Innes, Northern NSW. Still have a few, but only small ones.

To Katie, will photograph one cabinet of minerals for your son, nut cannot give names as it is chokka with tiny specimens. OK??

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen

I thought I would move some of the posts from the jewellery thread in to a thread of there own.

Is there anyone else out there interested in Fossicking?

Guest The Pom Queen
Just to let you know, black quarz is known as Morion, or Cairngorm, which is another way of saying smokey quartz.

Got some from the East Kimberley region, an area known as The Antrim Plateau, around the basalt flows. Plenty of agates, amethyst and prehnite, too. As a matter of fact, if you go to the Ord River at Ivanhoe Crossing, you can see the basalt; it's just a matter of going to the other side from the town and looking at the gravel wash for agates, or going to the river behind the airport for squillions of agates. Prehnite can be found above the Ivanhoe Crossing.

http://crystal-cure.com/prehnite.html

Also, a very rare stone to be found in the Kununurra area...Zebra Stone.

http://www.earthmuseum.see.uwa.edu.au/__data/page/48912/Zebra_Rock2.pdf

Bugga...Nearly forgot, used to mine sapphires out from Glen Innes, Northern NSW. Still have a few, but only small ones.

To Katie, will photograph one cabinet of minerals for your son, nut cannot give names as it is chokka with tiny specimens. OK??

Cheers, Bobj.

Thank you so much for that Bobj he has just spent the last hour going "oh my, oh my" I can't believe how excited he is, he is running around with my ipad showing everyone.

Guest The Pom Queen
Have been known as an old fossil....Bugga, fossick is the term. Well, done a fair bit of that, too.

Some very good places, but as usual, out in the backblocks for the good stuff.

Cheers, Bobj.

The little one says is there anywhere up this way? We went to see a huge quartz rock and there were bits of quartz on the floor so he took a small sample for his collection. Can't remember where it was, I'm waiting for Rob to tell me.

Guest The Pom Queen
The little one says is there anywhere up this way? We went to see a huge quartz rock and there were bits of quartz on the floor so he took a small sample for his collection. Can't remember where it was, I'm waiting for Rob to tell me.

Rob says somewhere near Ravenswood

Thank you so much for that Bobj he has just spent the last hour going "oh my, oh my" I can't believe how excited he is, he is running around with my ipad showing everyone.

As promised, Katie. Now I can put it up for the community.

2112012.jpg

Got about 50 kg of rocks and mineral specimens in boxes, on the tv set, in the breezeway in the garage etc. Lotsa fossils as well.

Now, possibly the best place in Australia to use the metal detector is the Golden Triangle

http://www.finders.com.au/gold-pages/central-victorian-goldfields/the-golden-triangle/

After that, any of the old gold diggings, BUT...some places are out-of-bounds for metal detectors, Maytown, far north Qld. is one.

http://www.nqminersden.com/Palmer_River.htm

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
As promised, Katie. Now I can put it up for the community.

2112012.jpg

Got about 50 kg of rocks and mineral specimens in boxes, on the tv set, in the breezeway in the garage etc. Lotsa fossils as well.

Now, possibly the best place in Australia to use the metal detector is the Golden Triangle

http://www.finders.com.au/gold-pages/central-victorian-goldfields/the-golden-triangle/

After that, any of the old gold diggings, BUT...some places are out-of-bounds for metal detectors, Maytown, far north Qld. is one.

http://www.nqminersden.com/Palmer_River.htm

Cheers, Bobj.

I wish he would sign up and ask you himself as he is firing millions of questions at me, he is in awe of you lol.

One question is where did you find the fossil (bottom back right)

Guest guest30085
Gidday mate,

Love your work Bobj, you never know mate when you will find something spectacular, there's still plenty of it out there. I used to live near Lightning Ridge, there was a lot of minerals around & it didn't take much to find them...I also know of a place where you can find Black Amythest, which is a truly stunning gem to find in it's natural form...nice pics mate...:smile::cool:

Thats beautiful, and my birth stone, any going spare :D

Guest The Pom Queen

LOL I wonder why you are in a good mood :wink:

Gidday mate,

Good one, Thorn. I stayed at The Ridge for a month and in those days, 1971, the main source of opal noodling was around the old diggers' campfires, apart from the 'rubbernecks' on the party tourist coaches...They, the old gougers, were after red-on-black and, in the evenings, while the billy was on the boil, they would look at their daily finds by the firelight. If no red, they would toss the piece into the fire. Some pieces were greens and blues. I found one green-on-blue-on-black and got $800 for it, even though you could see the fire damage...Only got small chippings left in my collection, now.

Cheers, Bobj.

I wish he would sign up and ask you himself as he is firing millions of questions at me, he is in awe of you lol.

One question is where did you find the fossil (bottom back right)

That fossil is cladophlebis Australis, an Australian tree-fern from The Tarong Power Station coal deposit, near Nanango, Qld.

http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/account/3034/object/1015/Cladophlebis_australis_%28Morris_1845%29_A_tree_fern_frond

I was looking after building the infrastructure and found a seam of the fossils. Donated a 45 kg lump to the Pacific Coal, mine builders.

Ask away, young fella, got lotsa time for that sort of thing.icon14.png

Cheers, Bobj.

Possibly the best areas up around Cairns are the Mount Surprise and Chillagoe, where you went to. Some excellent marble mined at Chillagoe.

http://www.thegemden.com.au/

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
That fossil is cladophlebis Australis, an Australian tree-fern from The Tarong Power Station coal deposit, near Nanango, Qld.

http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/account/3034/object/1015/Cladophlebis_australis_(Morris_1845)_A_tree_fern_frond

I was looking after building the infrastructure and found a seam of the fossils. Donated a 45 kg lump to the Pacific Coal, mine builders.

Ask away, young fella, got lotsa time for that sort of thing.icon14.png

Cheers, Bobj.

I had to send him away Bob whilst I did some work, but I may let him create an account to chat with you later, he is only little and overly excited so please bear with him. In fact, can I not send him to yours for a few week, you know to Bob's Fossicking Camp :tongue:

Oh no he is back again, ok give me a minute and I'll sign him up as SquarePants, thanks Bob x

thank you for showing me, have you ever found any gold?

G'day mate. Yes, I have found gold, but not very much. I once found a ½ ounce nugget in Western Australia. It was stolen a few months later.

Pleased you like the cabinet photo.

Cheers, Bobj.