Fossicking Around Australia

Bobj

Tell you what Kate. When I get out there I may 'borrow' your kids and take them 'outback' with me. I can be the foreman of works and tell them where to detect whilst I have my feet up at the campfire.

I'm not sure they will be happy with a 90/10 split on all finds though, :laugh:

Mate, Katie offered them to me first.tongue.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've often thought of doing a bit of detecting on the beaches here Colin. I reckon I'll find a lot more here than OZ as whenever I rock up at a beach here most are still dressed in woolies and trousers with pockets (more to fall out) because of the British Summer.:laugh:

I'm sure you're right...whistling.gif

augustbankholiday.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Gothic Rose

Great thread, I've only just found this, really enjoying the contributions. I've said before I have a lovely collection of Crystals /Minerals but atm, they are not ones that i've actually dug up myself. However Thorn will teach me where to hunt for little treasures in the future. It's not about monetary value for me, I just find them fascinating. Though it would be nice to find the illusive lump of gold or other valuable gem.

Years ago I met a pom woman who was really interesting. She lived amongst indigenous people in the outback. She was the sister of a friend & she was travelling doing various projects to do with indigenous people. "She said oh I hear you like your crystals , what will you give me for these ? she had a handful of opals the size of quails eggs, that she'd collected herself. I knew immediately The were way out of my price range. but she said it was how she was financing her travels. She was in her fifties & had lived amongst the indigenous for many years & was very knowledgable. Her project took her on to Africa, & she was bitten by something over there, she went blind & later died. Such a shame she was a fascinating woman.

Gothic Rose mentioned monetry value. I reckon that about 90% of fossickers are in the game for the love of the outback and the fact that the specimen they just found has NEVER been touched by humans since the beginning of time. I certainly feel that, especially when I open a rock and see a fossil that no one in all history has seen before.

Mineral cyrstals is a very rewarding hobby, not for $$$ but the satisfaction of finding a good specimen, as so:

Picture300.jpg

This quartz cluster came from a geode in the Pilbara, WA.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi Bob, can you reccomend a good metal detector? Would be looking for small nuggets -)

G'day mate, seeing that you are in The Alice and have a few gold prospecting areas close handy...well, within 500 or so km.:wink: I reckon any of the Minelab dtectors are good. A nice price, IF you pursue the hobby, would be about $1500 which shouldn't break the bank...and gold @$1660 an ounce a couple of nice nuggets will pay for it.

I like the look of this chappie :

http://www.minelab.com/aus/products/gold-detectors/eureka-gold

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. Heard a few minor nuggets have been "pinged up" in the Tennant Creek area.

Ha ha ha, indeed you did Kate, that door was wide open, I know my body is safe & it's tightly chained, just havin a bit of fun :smile:, I'm in a very good mood so you get too see a very different side which is rare...ah the ameythest, yes I can share with you if you would like to know the corordinates, a bit of a hard find the black amythest, you have too work hard to find it but it's worth it when you do...:animal-bat::smile:

A few pieces from my collection:

Black and white quartz

2112012001.jpg

My best quartz crystal with a teaspoon for size comparison; found in the Pilbara, note the greenish colouring inside.

2212012003.jpg

2 pieces of morion, 1st is a phantom, from Glen Innes area, NSW. 2nd is waterworn from a deep lead tin mine near Inverell, NSW. 3rd is rutilated quartz that I swapped.

2212012001.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

A few pieces of agate. The one on the right came from Agate Ck, north Qld, the bottom right one I found in a gravel pit near Moree, NSW, t'other 2 were swapped for amethyst clusters.

The blue one is quite rare, apparently, from an undisclosed source in north Qld.

2512012002.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest AKA63029
Wish I had found this, the worlds largest Emerald it's only 57,500 carats,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11940[/ATTACH][/QUO

TE]

I 'think' this your pic of the stone might have been Elizabeths Taylors engagement ring at one point Kate.

Poor old Richard Burton could 'only' afford this diamond wedding ring after the engagement Kate.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11944[/ATTACH]

Guest Bleeding Thorn13
Good one, Thorn. I stayed at The Ridge for a month and in those days, 1971, the main source of opal noodling was around the old diggers' campfires, apart from the 'rubbernecks' on the party tourist coaches...They, the old gougers, were after red-on-black and, in the evenings, while the billy was on the boil, they would look at their daily finds by the firelight. If no red, they would toss the piece into the fire. Some pieces were greens and blues. I found one green-on-blue-on-black and got $800 for it, even though you could see the fire damage...Only got small chippings left in my collection, now.

Cheers, Bobj.

Gidday mate,

How are you Bobj, thanks for sharing your pics & information with us, you have a very impressive collection...I have relatives who are Geologists & they have some amazing collections from all over Australia & around the world. I remember when I was a young lad my Uncle would take us up to Toowoomba & Warwick for a day out to see what we could find it was my very first experience with fossicking & I had a ball even though we only came back with a potato sack full of quartz & petrified wood. My uncle was a Lapidary, made jewelry from all his gem collections.

When I worked as a Jackaroo in northern NSW there were a few places as you have suggested around Glen Innes, Inverell, Emmaville, where I used to go fossicking, not too mention Torrington which has an old Tin Mine that used to be operated by Pacific Copper....I used to find all kinds of minerals & artifacts around those areas.

Topaz, Emeralds, Beryl, Quartz & Citrine are just some of the gems you can find ...

Beryl

emmaville-beryl-1.jpg

Citrine-Crystal-Torrington.jpg

Smokey quartz...

Smoky-Quartz-Torrington.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen
Gidday mate,

How are you Bobj, thanks for sharing your pics & information with us, you have a very impressive collection...I have relatives who are Geologists & they have some amazing cololections from all over Australia & around the world. I remember when I was a young lad my Uncle would take us up to Tooowoomba & Warwick for a day out to see what we could find....

Sounds great Thorn, do you still go out?

Guest Bleeding Thorn13
Sounds great Thorn, do you still go out?

I would if I had a car Kate, I would travel everywhere to find a nice piece. I did have a nice collection but it was stolen unfortunately...:animal-bat:

Guest Bleeding Thorn13
Ok I'm a little bit thick, but if it wasn't genuine wouldn't the valuers have picked up on it

You would think in this day & age Kate & the technology they have access to, they would definitely be able to tell if it is real or not...:animal-bat:

• 2 weeks later...
do any of you have any zebra rock

G'day mate, yes, I have several pieces and all collected by me.icon14.png

If you scroll back to the cabinet photo, you will see some of them in the top left.

This is where they all came from, a very dangerous cliff in Western Australia!

2010Trip067.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.