UK house valuations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Fabricator

Had 2 valuations over the weekend on my house and the third booked for thursday morning ,

I had a rough idea what it may be worth , but thewy were very far apart ,,

I live in a end terraced house , looks like a 2 up 2 down from the front but its actually quite big as it goes richt the way back on the plot , some 30 metres , both estate agents said they'd never seen a house like it , its very quirky , and a bit like a tardis inside , very misleading from the front .

1st guy said 180 - 190 K wich i was a little shocked at , the second said 220K ish i know the housing market is pants and thought around the £225K mark myself , but the first valuation has propper thrown me .....

how can they be 40K apart ??????? both are local firms , the 22k one was from the estate agents i bought it off . theyve actually sold the house 4 times over 20 + years . but its not comparable to any other property they have on the books or ever have had ,

just another thing to stress over !!!!

lee

Guest guest59177

Estate agents can pass tips amongst themselves. They give you a shocker first so that you might snag the first good deal you get. It's usually a good idea to get a quotation from a private buyer that usually gives you a better idea... at least that's how things are around here.

Hey lepto , both quotes were completly independant so their was nothing going on between them .

I think it mainly hasto do with the unique ness of my property , great for me , and everyone says how great my place is , but it obviously makes it hard to value , and ultimatly sell it !!

lee

Ha Ha , but gotta get people interested in the first place ,

Dont want to offer it to cheep and loose out on much needed ££££££££££££££££ but to high and it wont sell or even get a viewing,

Stress stress , ( not even finished building the extention yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ) i realy do take on to much all at one time ..

lee

Lee there is a house valuation place on the internet is it Zoo or something, surveyors and agents use this comparable sites, I used to use them.

It can get a bit tricky when a property is slightly different from the run of the mill, I would be tending to look at the higher valuation, and you may find that it is probably somewhere in the middle.

I will have a look later to see if I can find these sites.

Thanks shoes , will have a look at the sites ,

my house is in a row of terraces , 2 -3 beds from 120K to 165 K , i have 5 double beds , 2 kitchens , 4 bathrooms , 2 lounges , office , gym , quadrouple garage , the only house on the road to have off road parking ( 5 cars ) and its all secured behind 2 huge barn doors, and a walled secret garden ????????????????

Impossible to compare with anything !!

lee

Thanks shoes , will have a look at the sites ,

my house is in a row of terraces , 2 -3 beds from 120K to 165 K , i have 5 double beds , 2 kitchens , 4 bathrooms , 2 lounges , office , gym , quadrouple garage , the only house on the road to have off road parking ( 5 cars ) and its all secured behind 2 huge barn doors, and a walled secret garden ????????????????

Impossible to compare with anything !!

lee

I agree, maybe it is worth getting a surveyor around rather than an estate agent, they work our per square metre, et. My ex is a surveyor unfortunately though he is not working in your area, but maybe I can see if he knows of anyone he would recommend.

I have valued a few properties in the past that were totally unique and it is bloody hard getting it spot on, maybe get a few more around, Reeds Rains used to be quite good.

Good luck, if you need any help / assistance just ask me, if I can´t answer it I know someone who might be able to, x x

cheers hun ,

Just looked on the sites and basicly the average price for my actual street is just 99k !!!!!!!!!! 2 beds are between 105 and 130K

a 4 bed house 500m up the road ( ok it has a bigger garden and its detached ) is over 300K

My house is only link attached , ie only one small room from next door joins my house , essentially its detached ...

soooo difficult ..

lee

At the end of the day, its worth what someone will buy it for - valuations obviously are needed to give an idea, but its like selling anything - if someone wants it badly they will pay top, if the right person just doesn't happen to see the details for it, it won't sell for top, so imho whilst its important to know the rough market in your area etc, it doesn't really make and difference to what you will finally get.

A really good estate agent is what makes the difference - if they aggressively market it, to the correct people, even more so if it is an unusual property, then they are worth their weight in gold. If they don't, they aren't worth having at all.

The company that have re-sold it imho would be good as they know its quirkiness hopefully and can use that knowledge to market it - but a couple of questions for them - is anyone still in the company that dealt with it before? And how much under the asking price did you/didn't you buy it for? If you managed to knock 20K off the price, that might indicate that the same might happen upon selling with the same agents, whereas if you had to offer more, their estimate might actually be conservative (with their experience of the house).

Obviously all of that is just wondering aloud - nowt as queer as folk and property lol

tell me about it, our house is one of 4 built 2000, only ours has changed hands once since the original owners bought them. Since we bought we have extended.

It is a big house with at least half an acre. Valuations from £380k - £550K !!!!!!

We thought around £430 in the current market but will poss walk away at £400k if we have to (we did make money on our previous house sold at the top of the market so can take a bit of a loss on this one)

If someone will give us £550 though I will be very very happy:biggrin:

Guest Gothic Rose

Can you find a way of turning your quest for sale into a youtube video that would go viral, that seems the best way to promote all kind of things & get attention. I'm wondering if done creatively such an approach may aide your house sale. You have an unusual property try thinking outside the box in ways of advertising it .

Hi Lee

Yes another string to my little bow. :cute:I worked as an agent for a few years. I can tell you now that neither agent who came across your door had the first clue what to do with your house, or what value to put on it. Both of them will have done their homework and have turned up with a top and bottom price in their head from viewing comparable sales in the street and area. It sounds really nice and also falls into the market anomaly category.

The agents have this problem. The will have most likely told you a figure which is above the top they had in their head. Most agents will not go 20-25 percent above the top. In the front of their mind they are not questioning what it is worth, because it is clearly worth more than what has sold before, but they are questioning what can I sell it for?

The truth is the two guys you have seen don't know. They have not got a clue what to do for the best. It is a toss up between getting the price low enough so you can get people across the threshold to see it and high enough to be able to realise what it is worth. I sold a house a few years back and the first sale fell through at the eleventh hour. Devastating but put it back on the market. Architect chap came along to offer and thought he could bully me for a quick cash sale.

Unfortunately his wife let slip in the garden they had just sold their London house for a load of money. So when the agent told me that's all they can afford, I said 'Tell him to go back to London then and I want ten grand more than the previous buyer.' Agent phoned back 5 minutes later. he paid it but I am sure the wife was in the dog house for showing their hand.

For an agent, getting a lovely house onto the market is a dream and they will be keen to have yours. I would get a few more of them in for a look, but ultimately what it goes on the market for is up to you. What you can do is ask for 'offers over' on your price, that way, the top end is open. You are not obliged to accept any offer even if it is the advertised price. There is no sale until there is a contract of sale. Just tell the agent people can bid on it if they really want it. You are his client not the buyer so he is supposed to act in your interest.

If there is a lot of interest then you can react to that by saying all offers will be considered by a certain closing date.

If you agree to a percentage fee as opposed to flat it is in their interest to get more for your house. Ask the agent if they 'pool' their sale commission. Sometimes if they don't pool commission they will work harder as individuals to sell it.

Estate agents can be a tad intimidating and tell you they have potential buyers lined up or people waiting looking in that road in particular. Don't believe a word. They will do anything to get your house on the market with them.

Some agents in my area are offering flat fees / or rates. Here some are doing 0.75% It is all flexible. Advertisement is their biggest cost so find out how often they are planning to do that. Ask what else they will be doing. Be difficult in a polite but firm way because it will keep them on their toes.

Leave your contract open - don't sign 'sole selling rights' because you are very restricted. 'Sole agency' is ok. They will push for a 12 week contract but some will agree to as little as 4 weeks.

It's a tricky business. I enjoyed it but wouldn't go back. Hope this helps

Millie x

Blimey Millie , what other little secrets are you hiding ??? Your right that they just saw what the other houses were selling for , they both turned up with a couple of house details from my street then threw them in the bin once thay had looked around.

I will see what the third says , i actually know the guy , but that doesnt mean he's gonna do me any favours ...

once the house has been completly re decorated and everything finished off i will get quotes again and put it on the market .

Just a quick question , can i have more than one estate agent trying to sell my house at the same time ?? whoever does end up being chosen they need to be very pro active and market the house ,

the biggest down side is that it is opposite a petrol station , but you dont realy get any noise , and its only the front 2 rooms , the rest of the house is nice and quiet , and all outside is fully walled in ,

I honestly think that if you put my house on a average street / road in my town it would be upto £350k , location plays a big part i know , it didnt bother me , but obviously does for the majority ..

lee

The house we are living in now, which we have just sold we got 3 prices for, we went with the middle one, other house's similar to ours were on for slightly cheaper, and they were selling very quickly, we were on the market for age's, until we finally dropped the price, still slightly above the lowest valuation we had and we sold within 5 day's!

Most area's have a cap price, so it's worth looking at site's like zoopla, it will give you an idea what the property market around you looks like, what they sold for etc, good luck

6668567597_06c3a37db9.jpg

my place 1 by mr fabricator, on Flickr

the green border is the petrol station , yellow are borders of my nearest neighbours , blue is allotments and pink is my plot , the red inside that is the actual building structure . the location could be a lot worse , and as you can see to the rear and left side i have no one over looking . and my house is completly walled in , its a fortress ( man castle :-) ha ha )

lee

The problem EAs have at the moment with providing a value is the lack of volume in the market - it makes it really hard for them. This is the real story of the housing market in the UK at the moment; people are sitting tight as much as they can, and there are very few first time buyers coming in, partly because it's now hard for them to get credit, partly because people are waiting to see if the market falls further.

With transactions right down, it means your house either has to have a real edge over the rest of the market (much better presentation, special feature, cheaper, whatever) to be sure of making a sale. And if you absolutely must sell then you're in a very weak position I'm afraid as the only way to be sure of a quick(ish) sale is to drop the price

Good luck!

Had 2 valuations over the weekend on my house and the third booked for thursday morning ,

I had a rough idea what it may be worth , but thewy were very far apart ,,

I live in a end terraced house , looks like a 2 up 2 down from the front but its actually quite big as it goes richt the way back on the plot , some 30 metres , both estate agents said they'd never seen a house like it , its very quirky , and a bit like a tardis inside , very misleading from the front .

1st guy said 180 - 190 K wich i was a little shocked at , the second said 220K ish i know the housing market is pants and thought around the £225K mark myself , but the first valuation has propper thrown me .....

how can they be 40K apart ??????? both are local firms , the 22k one was from the estate agents i bought it off . theyve actually sold the house 4 times over 20 + years . but its not comparable to any other property they have on the books or ever have had ,

just another thing to stress over !!!!

lee

We had our house valued 14mths ago, £245K, 6 weeks ago we got 2 valuations around £220K :arghh: That took approx $40k off the house purchase in Oz:mad: Still need to sell it as well andmight end up with an even lower offer than the valuations:err:

Archived