Shortest Time in Oz?

alandeej

My answer was and every time i give it to many a squad i worked with who were all good lads.

Soo tell me was your great great grandfather a muderer or a rapist or was he one of the sick prison offficers who treated the prisoners like there slaves making there homes in this amazing land.

Soo i know the stock i come from do you!

When transportation ended in 1868 about 1 in 6 of the population had been convicts

The other 5 were free settlers.

And most convicts weren't kept in prisons. They were assigned to free settlers as farm labourers, domestic servant, or in the trades, office positions, even architects, designers if their skills allowed it.

And most weren't murderers or rapists. The most serious criminals were executed in England.

Most were transported for what we would consider fairly minor offences - stealing food to feed their families, or pilfering clothing or watches. They could be as young as 9 years old. One record I followed was for a 13 year old transported from Taunton for stealing nails.

So, in summary, you probably didn't know the stock they came from as much as you thought you did.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When transportation ended in 1868 about 1 in 6 of the population had been convicts

The other 5 were free settlers.

And most convicts weren't kept in prisons. They were assigned to free settlers as farm labourers, domestic servant, or in the trades, office positions, even architects, designers if their skills allowed it.

And most weren't murderers or rapists. The most serious criminals were executed in England.

Most were transported for what we would consider fairly minor offences - stealing food to feed their families, or pilfering clothing or watches. They could be as young as 9 years old. One record I followed was for a 13 year old transported from Taunton for stealing nails.

So, in summary, you probably didn't know the stock they came from as much as you thought you did.

Many were political prioners also.

A friend of mine is descended form someone who was transported for "stealing a pair of stays (corsets) from a washing line" he eventually got his freedom after being ordered to work on a "manor" in Bothwell owned by Alexander Reid. He was later married in this church and became a fairly prominent citizen. She asked me to get a photo of the church when I visited Tasmania as she was doing her geanology.

Bothwell is a quiet farming town on the Clyde River. It was named after a town in Lanarkshire, Scotland by Governor George Arthur in 1824. The first European into the area had been Lieutenant Thomas Laycock who, while traversing the island from Port Dalrymple (Launceston) to Hobart in 1806, camped beside the Fat Doe River (subsequently renamed the Clyde River) near the present site of the town. Laycock was trying to reach Hobart because the settlement at Port Dalrymple was running out of food. The area was explored in some detail in 1817 and by 1821 settlers had taken up land along the banks of the river.

It is widely accepted that the first European settler into the area was Edward Nicholas who arrived in 1821 and built Nant's Cottage, about 1.5 km from the town centre on Denistoun Road. This simple Georgian cottage with an iron hipped roof and 12 pane windows was used by the Irish political exiles, John Mitchell and John Martin, during their stay in Tasmania in the 1850s. Both had been arrested for treasonable writings with Mitchell writing in The United Irishman and Martin in The Irish Felon.

The town was laid out in 1824 with the two broad main streets being named Alexander (after Alexander Reid of 'Ratho') and Patrick (after Patrick Wood of Denistoun).

The strong Scottish element in the early population is evident everywhere. The town's St Luke's Presbyterian (now Uniting) Church, which was built between 1828-31, is the second oldest Presbyterian church in Australia. It is claimed that the first game of golf in Australia was played on Alexander Reid's property 'Ratho' in the 1820s - the course where this famous event took place is still in use and can be played by keen golf lovers. Bothwell is also the home of Australia's first Aberdeen Angus stud.

Lukes%20map.jpg?timestamp=1240443853021

Edited by Johndoe

I find the records for the first settlers and the convicts very interesting. My oh got a book from the library specifically about the women who were transported and their lives, very intersting.

In a way being transported was good for a lot of the people because they were away from the class system and able to get land and work hard and become pillars of society.

Guest Guest31881
Most £10 poms didn't have the accessibility to funds like many of us do today to enable them to return home. I'm sure many just had to suck it up and make it work.

I believe that the £10 POM's had to stay at least 2 years or they would have to repay the government the the true costs of moving here, I know round about 1970 a Cabinet maker who I knew had an "Assisted Passage" ( Not sure if Government or employer paid) to Australian and stayed 2 years, then went back home, The reason he stayed was because of the costs, and penalties involved in returning earlier.

Only one thing can be said with any certainty and that is some will come to Australia and decide it is not for them and return, some will come and love it and stay. others will be indifferent and may stay or go depending on their circumstances.

Guest zoefitton

Your not on your own love. Alot of people have to portray things are great or they face having to deal with the reality that it has not been as beneficial as they first thought. How many people have you heard say that there life style is way better than the UK only to complain of a multitude of scenarios which tell you quite a different story. I have met alot of deluded people who are frankly in denial. I at least say well it has not been a good move on the whole for our family we have slogged it out gave it 3 years. But I am happy that we have concluded enough is enough. Is good to be honest with yourself and true to yourself and family. Why suffer just to project to the ones you left behind that it isnt quite as fantastic as the Aussie spinmasters like to portray. Peoples pride and the risk of losing face seems to trap them in a country which really offers them little in terms of belonging. Anyway it is always good to have a go even if things dont turn out quite how we would have liked.

As for the 457 we too are on this and really what it should be called is the second class citizen visa, because that is what it is.

Your not on your own love. Alot of people have to portray things are great or they face having to deal with the reality that it has not been as beneficial as they first thought. How many people have you heard say that there life style is way better than the UK only to complain of a multitude of scenarios which tell you quite a different story. I have met alot of deluded people who are frankly in denial. I at least say well it has not been a good move on the whole for our family we have slogged it out gave it 3 years. But I am happy that we have concluded enough is enough. Is good to be honest with yourself and true to yourself and family. Why suffer just to project to the ones you left behind that it isnt quite as fantastic as the Aussie spinmasters like to portray. Peoples pride and the risk of losing face seems to trap them in a country which really offers them little in terms of belonging. Anyway it is always good to have a go even if things dont turn out quite how we would have liked.

As for the 457 we too are on this and really what it should be called is the second class citizen visa, because that is what it is.

I'm sure on some level you might be right and I think as humans we have some good defense mechanisms when things might not be going too well, however, as someone who is happy and content here, I have trouble with comments that I might be some how glossing over something in order to not face reality, or that I might be deluded or in denial - although I accept that you later said this about people you have met.

I know we all make judgements about people (that's life), but saying people are deluded and in denial is rather harsh and at the end of they day if they are ... does it really matter if that's an OK place for them to be? If it doesn't effect me personally, then it doesn't matter and i'm certainly not special enough to put them right or make them see sense (as I see it).

Edited by ali

Just to add to the denial factor i think some, not all, have a similar attitude to when they change jobs or companies. How many people are honest enough to admitt it was a bad move for them? Especially after boasting to everyone that theyre heading to greener pastures? How many before theyre leaving tell you that the company that your working for is going downhill and it will cave in once theyve left?

Doesnt that sound like a popular quote from expats. If i had a pound for every time ive heard that i could probably clear the whole of Europes debts.

Its all codswallop really.

A former associate of mine was shouting Australia from the rooftops once upon a time, wouldnt even consider living in the UK ever again. Ghastly place.

He fell on bad times, lost his job, home, had to go back to renting. The last i heard he had returned home.

No explanation and definitely didnt shout it from the rooftop. He just disappeared. No doubt he couldnt face the humiliation.

Its no disgrace failing, but you get my point.

Id openly admit the move for me has not been great for me ... partly due to maybe not researching enough but if i had i might never of tried Oz .. Im only here on a whv ... been here 3-4 months now and did want to see it out but i just dont find it better than the uk in many respects.

Works been **** tbh, ive sat about mostly on my own trying to fill the day job hunting or explore but theres only so much fun you get on your own. Before i came i did indeed say 'screw the uk' etc and im off to where the grass is greener. I dont reget coming here for one min but from what ive experienced it just isnt for me, i miss my m8s, the social side of the uk, family etc. I did hope to sort a 175 if i had work and saved for 6 months but ive come to the conclusion fast ive not going forward here an its made me appreciate my life i had back home.

I dont feel embarassed at all cos i had the balls to give it ago on my own so i wont always wonder what if, so people imo can say what they want but i certainly will laugh if it comes from people who havent been to Oz to live.. i have been here before - living and visiting are 2 major diff experiences.

I did/am consider seeing more of OZ but i can this on future holidays imo .. Id def consider it in the future on a 175 where i guess getting a full time job would be easier.. Im now boardline to bringing my return flights forward and returning . I dont hate Oz one bit as i have family here but i just havent been 'wowed' with all ive encountered and ive been left mostly to my own devices which has become boring fast. Some might not agree and thats there opinion however as many say you only have one life and i know going home appreciating the simple things i had will set me in good stead to start my business again .

Yeah the weathers better, is more relaxed etc but thats about it for me... In hindsight i didnt think id of faced as many hurdles, i certainly didnt expect anyhing to be handed to me and was willing to start at the bottom in my trade again but with my money going fast its come to a point where id rather invest it back home and start back my business back up as i know theres a daily drive for me in that respect alone..

Edited by guvnor