Anyone from Manchester living on or around the Goldcoast.

Matt R

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys! i am LOVING this post.... from the lake district (cumbria) moving to brizzy with the boyfriend on 14th may!! cant wait ! loving the fact of all us northerners here!!! be nice to hear an accent i recognize .... & for it to be in a nice hot country rather than this horrific cold rainy weather we have over here at the moment!

eeeeek HUGS to the northerners :hug: xx

Hi we are a family of 4 lived in Oz for 4 years now the first 4 in Adelaide and then made the long drive over and now living in Coomera on the Genesis have to say wish we made the move a lot sooner.

Husband is from Wigan (brickie), i'm originally from Newcastle Upon Tyne and the girls are 10 years old and 21 months (yep big gap!)

Claire :xmas24:

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all. Just wandering if there is anyone from Manchester liviing on or near the Goldcoast. From a place called Failsworth myself and was interested to hear from anyone who lived in Manchester.

Hi Matt!

We're from Failsworth - living on the Sunshine Coast for the past 3 1/2 years :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I'm Sheryl from Salford, We moved to Upper Coomera nearly a year ago and have recently moved to Oxenford. I've got 2 sisters and their families in the Coomera area and I know of at least 4 other families from Salford/Manchester living in the area. We normally meet up at the beach every couple of weeks,if any one would like to meet up that would be great :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply - not been on for a while. I grew up on Somerset rd off lord lane, my hubby and I lived on failsworth rd (rd to woodhouses) before we moved over here.

​how about you?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, we are in Cheshire and seriously thinking of 'the move'! i'm drawn to Brisbane for some reason.

Would love some advise and guidance and the internet is mine field!

I have 3 children, 3, 5 & 15 (eldest is defo up for moving which was one of my fears if he didn't want to) - so no stopping us really.

Thanks in advance, Clare

I recognise your face Jo. I lived at 126 Westminster Rd, Failsworth so not even 5 minutes to your gaff. I must have bumped in to you waiting for the 76:)

Same goes for you any time your free for a brew or a beer :)

• 1 year later...

I live in cheshire currently in Gold coast atm and I've fallen in love!! Won't be making a permanent move to australia for a few years we are both on the skilled shortage list, I love QLD but hubbys job is in the financial sector so unless he lands something in brissy it looks like it will be Sydney or Melbourne for us :( It doesn't really matter for my job nursing but because hubby will earn like double my salary I will be following him where he can find a job.

• 1 month later...

Morning all,

Huge apologies for taking so long to get back on here but I have been extremely busy with living life here in Brisbane and frickin loving it.

I am a Carpenter living in East Brisbane and have been here since arriving in October 2011 on a 176 Sponsored state visa, which was kindly changed to a PR. I had to complete the Carpentry assessment exam so if you have any questions regarding any tradie questions then pass them on. I also have recommendations in where to live, places to see, what to do on the weekends in the River City plus so much more so dont be shy, say hello.

Just a little about myself, I love to cycle (but no lycra shorts thank you very much), Kayak and Scuba dive. This great state offers it all. You can repay me in cups of Yorkshire Tea and / or fig rolls :wink: In addition I am originally from Manchester and know a sneaky place out west which has all the comfort foods of home. Its called Chumleys Britain on the Bayside out in Birkdale. They have lots of goodies such as Pickled Onion Monster Munch to Sage & Onion Paxo Stuffing, plus lots lots more.

They also have a fish and chip shop and its about the only place in Australia where you dont get a funny look for requesting a 'Barm Cake'. I head for when I have a craving for Chips & gravy on a barm cake :)

So if anyone has any questions about anything really then fire away, only to happy to help :)

Time for a brew

P.S. And for any mad Football fans out there I can show you how to watch Match of the Day for free and totally legal :)

Hey Mate

Just stumbled onto this thread! Me and my wife are living in Brissy, originally from Manchester (Worsley)! Only been here 4 months but already found chumleys!

Not sure if you're a red or blue, but I am a Man City fan and I am definitely interested in how to get MOTD??? PM me with the details please.

if your ever up for a beer let me know?! Hopefully I will have bragging rights after the Derby tonight.

cheers

Pete

Hey Mate

Just stumbled onto this thread! Me and my wife are living in Brissy, originally from Manchester (Worsley)! Only been here 4 months but already found chumleys! ?

Not sure if you're a red or blue, but I am a Man City fan and I am definitely interested in how to get MOTD??? PM me with the details please.

if your ever up for a beer let me know?! Hopefully I will have bragging rights after the Derby tonight.

cheers

Pete

Hi B Bear (Pete),

Haha glad to see you found Chumleys I tend to go there when I need my fix of chips gravy and a barm cake :)

I am actually a Man United fan and I have just read the scores on BBC Sport :)

As for Match of the Day you need to be using Google Chrome web browser. Then download and install 'Zenmate'. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zenmate-security-privacy/fdcgdnkidjaadafnichfpabhfomcebme?hl=en

Its easy to set up and will ask for your email address as a password and install in the top right hand corner. What you do from here is click on the Icon in the top right hand corner and select the United Kingdom. When this is done and its up and running head to the BBC iPlayer website after Match of the Day has been on or is currently playing. If you catch it live you can restart the show even if there is very little time left.

Where abouts in Brisbane are you living?

Yeah I would be keen for a beer sometime.

Cheers

Matt

Where have you settled B Bear? We're from Worsley and just in the process of sorting out a visa. We want to find somewhere great for the kids (11 & 9) but there seems to be so many places to choose from :wacko:

Hi Hodgies2Oz,

Yes you are right there are so many places to choose from. Are you searching for areas with Schools I take it?

Where abouts in Worsley were you? I use to live near the White Horse pub.

My name is Matt by the way, nice to hear that you are sorting out your visa. You would love it over here :)

Hi Matt.

We're from Ellenbrook and hoping to come to Brisbane when the visa is sorted. I do want somewhere with a good primary and high school. Had originally thought of the Chapel Hill area but seems there are quite a few Brits saying the Coomera area is great, so now I'm wondering which side of Brisbane to go to??? Hubby and son are massive mountain cycling fans do that will come in to the decision!!!! Can't wait though, can't come quick enough.

Ps. Bet u miss the White horse ...NOT!

Archived