Arrived in Brisbane! Yay!

paisleylass

Excellent tink, I'll keep at the VB and the rum then! Just enjoying a little Brugal rum & Pasito on the deck, with nowt but cricket song and the odd rustle from heaven-knows-what in the garden for company (hubby's asleep inside!) - rather tranquil! I just bring my laptop outside and do all the admin - the deck is my office and I can even print stuff in the kitchen thanks to wifi!

Just spotted a fab house in Toowong that is slightly over budget but affordable if I can work too. We were quite taken with Toowong on the tour! This house is even city-cattable/handy for train - and available when we want. Decisions!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest16631

....................lots to choose from..................son used to live in Kedron,has moved to Bribie now and one son works in albion......both nice places........havn't lived in the city myself so can't help............but good luck house hunting...................and enjoy your drink...lol......hope it keeps those mozzies away.....

I've just been reading all your posts - you sound like you are having a fab time already :laugh: keep having lots of fun and good luck with the house hunting. It sounds like you will have lots of great options.

I'm sure the bites will go away soon, the bugs will start to realise you are a proper aussie rather than just a visiting pom.

I am loving waking up each day to the sunshine and the adventures to come, even if they are mundane like yesterday!

So yesterday was all about admin - bank account, medicare, tax etc. First stop was NAB where we met our super friendly personal banker. Got our cards plus ordered Visa debit cards which we can pick up in-branch - ideal as we're in a temp house. Got a statement for copying to rental agencies to show we have funds, and we have online banking set up so can print updated ones anyway (chunk of cash coming in from hubby's employer as relocation expenses any day!). A very different experience from long waits and grumpy faces at HSBC in Glasgow! There were even sweeties on the desk, maybe to keep us quiet ;o)

Next up went for a wander in nearby Woolies, and unexpectedly big store for the CBD. Just a browse, we didn't buy anything as we didn't want cargo to lug around, but have made a mental shopping list for when we finally get a car!

Lunch then in one of the food courts, a Chinese buffet type setup. Nice and filling though the 'chicken' and 'pork' were of questionable quality, processed beyond meaty recognition!

Medicare was the next task. The place was chockablock and we had to wait almost an hour, so I played a few rounds of Angry Birds which I blame for phone battery drainage! Eventually got seen and completed forms but have to wait at least 3 days for the temporary card so my mozzie bite hell will have to remain self-medicated for the time being. I've dug out some repellent anyway - prevention is better than cure!

Tax next. Easy - got given some info to apply online so will do that this morning. Then went to the driving license place where we had an issue with proof of adddress. Turns out as non-permanent residents, hubby can happily get by with his UK licence, so we ditched that one and will return if we go PR!

I then followed up my job contact, who I rang late afternoon and he's keen to meet up soon. Hopefully this will happen tomorrow depending on meetings so will ring again in the morning. If I can get work, and soon, we should do pretty well for cash! Not to mention I need my routine back!

Today we hope to hire a car to get house viewings and shopping done more easily. Two house viewings lined up this afternoon, one appointment and one open house. Not been to Nundah yet though it looked nice as we passed in the taxi on Friday. Both houses are well under budget so will see whether you get what you pay for!

...Eventually got seen and completed forms but have to wait at least 3 days for the temporary card so my mozzie bite hell will have to remain self-medicated for the time being. I've dug out some repellent anyway - prevention is better than cure!

Can go to a GP now and claim back if you want:

"If you will be receiving treatment you can enrol at Medicare offices throughout Australia. If you receive treatment before you enrol, Medicare benefits will be back paid for eligible visitors."

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/uk.jsp

Cheers fish, but the self medicaton and mozzie repellent are doing the trick so have decided to save the consultation fee (well, my part of it) for now :o)

Been a busy couple of days! Viewed a house in Nundah yesterday afternoon, after getting a hire car. Fab on the outside, scabby on the inside. No tar. Then headed to Kedron for another viewing. The house happened to back onto a busy road which put us off right away. Then the agent didn't show up. I rang him and it turned out the tenant had that morning decided to stay til January, and was supposed to be standing outside telling people who'd showed up! Ridiculous. Well, that saved us a cursory glance around a house we'd already decided wasn't for us!

This morning I went to meet a potential employer. I won't go into detail but it was very encouraging. My specific experience is highly relevant to the upcoming posts and they think it would have been difficult to recruit someone locally if I hadn't showed up - but not counting me chooks just yet!

After lunch at Nandos, went home and chilled until the next house viewing in Chermside. This one's a winner! Walkable to Westfield, but a quiet street, lovely garden and huge garage and the house is beautiful inside with plentiful air con. And the kitchen can accommodate the side by side fridge freezer I have my eye on! We hotfooted it to the agency office to fill out the application and I handed over the pack of scanned IDs and documents, but we'd overheard others at the open viewing who were very keen, and Australian! So again, no chook-counting. Looking at another one in Indooroopilly tomorrow, and I spotted a wee gem in Toowong so will tray and get an inspection arranged in the morning.

To celebrate an upbeat day, albeit no definite outcomes, we popped in to Dan Murphys for alcohol supplies to enjoy on our last few days of freedom before hubby starts work. Still haven't braved the Edi! (aka the Edinburgh Castle pub)

Hey - sounds like you're settling in great, I'm loving keeping up with your posts.

Winter has def arrived in Paisley, we went to the lights/firework display on saturday and it was really good, the fireworks were brilliant and all set to Disney music. I find myself constantly thinking this will be the last time we do/see .......etc. and was just thinking how we won't be at display next year when an argument took place in front on us between 2 women (one with child in pram, Elton John's Can You Feel the Love Tonight playing along to fireworks)! I love Scotland it is home and all my family are here but I really don't want my kids growing up where we are and if we're going to move we might as well go to the sun. I know there are parts of everywhere that are bad but unfortunately things here seem to be getting worse and I would be scared to let teenagers go into town alone.

Anyway - any doubts I have are cast aside by things like that happening and reading your posts!

Take care x

Sioban, I can't recommend it enough! We are having a ball and all the kids here seem so happy and relatively well behaved (I'm sure someone will be along to 'correct' me on this...!).

It was funny sitting on the deck here on 5th November and not hearing a single firework, but I wasn't bothered - I prefer the peaceful sound of crickets chirping. There are some Christmas deccies around in shops and the CBD, but I can happily give Paisley's lights a miss for now! People are often so aggressive in Paisley, I don't miss that. We saw a bogan going crazy in his car by Chermside centre yesterday when the traffic lights were out, basically giving the finger to all oncoming drivers. So there is aggression here right enough but we just found it really amusing!

Anyway, we have been approved for the Chermside house I mentioned. We are absolutely thrilled, having viewed some stinkers and 2 failed viewings where the tenants didn't play ball! We move in the 22nd. It overlaps with our short term by 10 days but we'll just take that hit and move in slowly :oD

We also went to Tamborine Mountain today, and naturally visited the distillery! The lovely Rachell looked after us, we tasted a few liqueurs and Micheal came to see us - awesome! Also had a fab lunch at The Spice Of Life and loved the scenery along the way.

In all, a fantastic day :oD

Hey Michele, it's a huge relief alright! That was the most import ant thing, to find a suitable rental in a highly competitive market. The house we've been approved for had the busiest open inspection and that was during work hours! I guess offering 3 months advance rent with bank statement to prove funds, and even my old UK rental reference, helped. Next time it will be even easier with an Aus rental history and more ID!

We'll be near Chermside library which is fab, I'll join as soon as we move, and of course can walk to the shopping centre, which is also great for my transport to the CBD.

It's been an incredible week really - things are falling into place nicely and stress levels have been surprisingly low considering! All that remains is confirmation of work for me, and shopping for furniture and white goods plus smaller bits and pieces for our house which I'm gonna love! Will keep me busy while hubby's at work next week :o)

See you around Chermside :oD

So good to hear that everything is going well for you - fingers crossed for new job, although sounds like you are having a great time not working! How are things going with Paisley house? Have you managed to get a rental? When I checked your link it looked as if it was off market already which is fab.

My other half is from Hunterhill (Chapelhill Road) and I think I might know your neighbours - if I do I can way understand why you have moved to the other side of the world!

So good to hear that everything is going well for you - fingers crossed for new job, although sounds like you are having a great time not working! How are things going with Paisley house? Have you managed to get a rental? When I checked your link it looked as if it was off market already which is fab.

My other half is from Hunterhill (Chapelhill Road) and I think I might know your neighbours - if I do I can way understand why you have moved to the other side of the world!

Thanks, and yes our UK house is let, tenant moves in next week! And we move into our new place in Chermside in a couple of weeks. Fantastic, everything is falling into place :oD

Great news - just shows what you can achieve when you put your mind to it! I will be following all your posts to keep me upbeat. At the moment my mum has started to mention the dreaded 'C' word (christmas) which is always difficult for us as my dad and her are divorced and he has remarried.

We spent christmas in Australia 5 years ago and loved it - we were invited to spend christmas day with acquaintances and their extended family and had a great day, everyone gave small, inexpensive gifts to each other and enjoyed the day. I love christmas but hate all the nonsense of having to shop here - people act as if shops will be shut for a week. I have twice been in Oz on christmas eve and been able to get parked in a shopping centre no prob - just try that in Braehead or Silverburn on 1st Dec!

I have decided that as our house is too small to have everyone here for Christmas I will do the rounds to everyone else so we see them all on Christmas Day (if that is want they want - hopefully not)! I am also thinking that we should also do a Hogmanay open door for all our friends and family - with a warning that any disagreements will be shown the front door!

Christmas can be a tricky time - especially in the UK, with all the supermarket stress and tales of people nicking stuff from other people's trolleys heheh! Where we'll be living can walk to Westfield Chermside anyway, so unless we're buying blocks of beer or anything else big can forget about parking! Silverburn in December *shudder*

Not sure what we'll do for Christmas at all, see how it goes I guess. The weather isn't exactly making me feel very festive!

Phew, it's a warm one in Kedron today! I've drank nearly a whole 1.25l bottle of Kirks lemonade with tons of ice in the last half hour :cool:

Slow day yesterday. Went to get our visa debit cards from NAB, then met hubby's boss and some colleagues for lunch in Kangaroo Point ahead of him starting work on monday - nice folks, food was very good - I had the $11 pizza lunch special and couldn't finish it! Then we just hung around the CBD a bit, and went for a couple of pints at the Pig & Whistle (again!). Then home for dinner and more beer on the patio. By the time we remembered to bring in the washing it was pitch dark, so hubby grabbed the torch and we went round to the washing line. We heard a noise in the grass, hubs shone the torch and there was a huge cain toad staring at us! Eek! We could have trod on the poor blighter!

Early night but hubby got up at 4.30am to watch some football game on his phone, luckily in the living room, which never disturbed me. Unlike the fresh bug bites on my feet! Nasty.

Today we went to the real estate office to sign the lease for our new house - now I just need to bank transfer the deposit and it's a done deal. Very excited about moving!

As the office is next to Westfield Chermside we naturally had to go for a browse. Went to my new fave Harris Scarfe. I adore this shop, it's like a better quality TJ Hughes! We bought latex pillows to tide us over til the Dunlopillos turn up with our shipment. They might not last as long but are just as comfy and only cost $30 each - Dunlop version was £40 in the UK and I think they're over $100 here! Also got a sandwich press 'cos I love paninis and quesadillas, and some melamine crockery which may be a permanent fixture as it won't break like normal crockery!

In K Mart I saw an absolute bargain - big outdoor table setting with 6 comfy seats for $299. I snapped that right up and it's being delivered next week. I also bought an electric ice crusher for $19 to tide me over til my manual ice crusher arrives. I like a lot of ice in my drinks and nowt beats the crushed kind!

Now chilling on the patio until hubby's pal picks us up for drinks in Paddington. Somewhere new every day :biggrin:

Paddington was very nice, while it was still light we went to the Paddo and sat out. Beer was a bit pricy there but it's a nice pub with a country & western thing going on (cowgirl barmaids, saddle seats, George Strait room?! - but no country music playing!). Then we headed to Caxton street and sat out there too as it was still warm enough, not sure what the bar was called. People were a bit dressier there but we were still fine in our jeans and trainers. Plenty of good chat, hubby's pal is from childhood in Scotland, and his wife is lovely too. Only downside was we didn't eat and the beer went to my head, and I tripped on a kerb and hurt my knee :o( so had a fun night's sleep with a sore knee and new fresh insect bites itching away as well!

Hire car is going back today which is quite sad, but hubby will get a ute soon from his work so we'll be mobile again. As I'm not working yet I have time to go shopping for house-y stuff but will be relying on the Go Card.

I'd noticed in the Good Guys catalog the phrase "Pay cash, pay less". I thought that meant you'd get a discount if you walked in with a wad of notes. Thanks to hubby's pal & wife, I now know that means you just pay outright by card rather than payment plan, so that's pretty good as we always intended to pay outright!

I love the catalogs by the way. As someone looking for white gooods & furniture deals, they're really handy. For smaller items like bedding and towels, the Harris Scarfe catalog is invaluable! Loads get delivered to our temp house, I grab them and chuck all the useless ones (toys, kids clothes, Christmas pressies) in the recycling bin, then pore over the useful ones and keep a wee pile as a kind of wish list. When we move and we're sorted though, I'm putting up a 'No junk mail' sign!

loving your posts, keep them coming. just a question, how did you find the cottage you're staying in at the moment?

Found it on stayz, we met the landlady yesterday and she said she rents through another site as well, think it's called rentahome? She also said roughly 80% of her clients are from the UK. If you want specifics let me know and I'll PM you, the place is small but big enough for 2, and there's a bigger cottage here as well. Cheaper and nicer then a high rise apartment in a built up area methinks :o)

Can't wait to move though, and get a bit more settled. The more we buy here the more we have to move!

Guest lkquick

thats great, thanks, I have found that website. I need somewhere for 4 though, but agree would be nicer than a high rise. Just waiting for medicals to be passed and then can get on with booking flights, accomodation etc.... need to be there jan for school starting and job!

keep the posts coming, lots of great info, thanks.

Archived