Arrived in Brisbane! Yay!

paisleylass

Now been in Brisbane just over 24 hours from landing. Here's a rough account of what's happened since we left LA after our stopover, and I'll probably add more later as things continue :biggrin:

The 14 hour flight to Brisso was quite pleasant. I slept the first hour or so, woke up for dinner (mahi mahi fish - fancy!) and conked out for a few more hours. Cabin was brand newly updated with bigger screens, usb in the armrest (handy for phone charging) - nice. I'd been chatting to the Aussie bloke next to me - hubby was across the aisle as we had trouble getting seats together - and he recommended the movie Soul Surfer, so I watched that and loved it. It's set in Hawaii, a place I'm fascinated with, but it was a bit of a tearjerker so I was glad the lights were off and nobody could see me doing a little blub!

Speaking of tears, the sentimental junk stopped on arrival in LA and hasn't reoccurred. Not really missing anything. Yet.

OK, so we arrived at Brisbane airport about 7am. Stopped at duty free for a litre of rum, and got in the huge immigration queue. Considering we are completely new to Aus and on a 457 intending to stay a few years it was as easy as returning to the UK - the chap just scanned our passports and off we went. We had declared food and meds and neither were an issue - a woman just asked what meds we had, nobody wanted to know the food specifics and that was that - we were officially in Australia!

Neither of us has a functioning phone and I needed to ring our accommodation lady to get access to the cottage we're staying in. This was a nightmare as the payphones don't take credit card, though I'd managed to collect two $2 coins. The first disappeared when I rang her landline, got answerphone and couldn't work out follow-on call. Then had just $2 to ring her mobile - at $1 a minute! Gah! I got through and got the info quickly, so we jumped in the next big taxi with our 4 suitcases and 4 bags and headed to Kedron. This was fairly quick, about 15 mins, and cost $27, though no change was given of $30 so he helped himself to a tip! Grumpy so and so dumped our bags on the pavement and sped off without a word. Welcome to Brisbane! Haha!

So we dragged all our stuff into the cottage, hubs went to bed and I unpacked my stuff, grabbed a shower and chilled a bit. Went out to buy snacks and drinks and a SIM card (more of that in its own thread hoho), and again later to get phone credit and Go Cards for the bus, and a cheeky 6 pack of VB from the bottle shop. In the meantime I booked 2 house viewings, one in Chermside for this morning and one in Kedron on Tuesday. Both look fine and rents reasonable, so will be interesting to get going with the househunting lark! After window-shoppping houses for months, it's all very real now!

Hubby finally woke up and got showered, we had a beer and then headed for Chermside. Translink on the iphone is really handy and told us what stop to go to and when the bus was due. After a short journey we arrived at the vast Westfield Chermside, which makes Glasgow Silverburn look like the corner shop!

First stop was Coles, where we bough as many goodies as we could carry, plus detergent and fabric softener to get our mucky clothes sorted. Love the variety - I've always loved exploring supermarkets in the USA, and found Coles to sell lots of similar products (HUGE range of dips!). Prices were fine, though hubby thought it was expensive due to the exchange rate. He's since been reading Bob In Oz's blog and got over that :cute:

Back to the cottage, we sat on the deck with more beer and a bit of food and chilled. Saw our first gecko climbing up the wall, and heard lots of beastie noises! I'm loving the tropical bird noises, such a change from Paisley. It's like living in Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room! Sort of.

That's all for now, off to Aldi for brekkie stuff as we forgot in Coles.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chermisde Westfields is amazing i loved it there - compared to the westfield in london which is totaly crap -

I am landing in brisse next week on thu and moving to wooloowin - not far from kedron at all . and am so looking forward to house hunting

hope you enjoy it out there and good luck on the house search

Ahh, it's fab so far! Just back from Aldi, which seemed a longer walk than it looked! Like the UK the choice isn't the best, but I got some gorgeous cereal bars full of oats, seeds, nuts and cinnamon - very filling, box of 6 less than $3, bargain. Will be revisiting Chermside after the house viewing as it's close and where we get the bus back from anyway, and all the shops should be open so can have a good gander and get lunch.

The house we viewed was fantastic, immaculate, ticked most of the boxes - except the outside. It was next door to a house being constructed, opposite a huge building also in construction, bit close to heavy traffic and poor outdoor spaces - awful little side yard full of weeds and 2 tiny balconies with no view to speak of. But the inside was great! So we didn't bother applying.

2 more to look at on Tuesday, one in Kedron and one in Nundah.

I have a really dumb question. I have printed off an application for the RUN real estate agency. The question is, do hubby and I have to fill in one each, or is it just one for the main applicant = him?? My application would look crap - no job, barely scraping the ID 'cos I have no drivers licence etc heheh.

Chermside was awesome again - got a detailed street directory of Brisbane (like an A to Z), a fab wireless printer/scanner/copier, lots of bits and pieces and spotted a Dan Murphys so got more beer! We have Beez Neez to try, I read somewhere that it's lovely :o)

.........also spent the day at chermside.......:wideeyed:..........had lunch at gilhooleys.............

I spotted Gilhooleys! That was around lunch time, our paths may have crossed at some point :biggrin:

Now my legs are itching, I have a few mysterious red spots, must have been bitten by some kind of beastie gah!

I have a really dumb question. I have printed off an application for the RUN real estate agency. The question is, do hubby and I have to fill in one each, or is it just one for the main applicant = him?? My application would look crap - no job, barely scraping the ID 'cos I have no drivers licence etc heheh.

You do have to fill in one each, but I wouldn't worry too much about your application looking too crap, what they are really looking for is the fact that you can pay the rent and that you are of good character. Neither my partner nor I had a job when we were looking for a place and my partner's ID was also only just scrapping by.

Good luck with your viewings next week and watch out for the mossies, they are hungry this time of year and you are fresh blood. :smile:

Paisleylass, welcome ! I thought I might mention that the taxi driver should not have done what he did, you are well within your rights to ring the taxi company - email them - and complain. We use taxis all the time at my work for clients, and if we have any problems we ring the taxi company and ask to speak to a supervisor and they will deal with it. Tipping here is optional, no one helps themselves without asking - I am sorry that happened to you on first arrival.

Now my legs are itching, I have a few mysterious red spots, must have been bitten by some kind of beastie gah!

Sounds like you're really finding your way around. Glad your journey went well. :biggrin:

I had something similar when I was first in Queensland... went to the docs expecting to get some cream for it.... he gave me an injection on the bum which cleared it up a treat! Just so you're prepared if you need something similar. Wear your best knickers to the docs! :biglaugh:

Olly, thanks for the advice but I can't remember what taxi company it was! I was surprised the fare was so low anyway and was in a tipping mood (I'm a decent tipper), but was surprised he helped himself. We got a taxi back from Chermside yesterday which was expensive and the meter was going up as we were stuck at lights - I'm not used to that! But the driver gave us all the change plus about 30c! I didn't tip this time 'cos it was extortionate for the distance involved.

Joob joobs that's great advice! We're getting our medicare cards tomorrow so I'll try and get a GP organised. Need to do this for thyroid meds anyway. Do you know what the injection was? And did it last a long time, ie. prevent more weals? I didn't sleep well last night as the weals were really itchy. I have about 8 of them mainly around my ankles plus one where the knee bends and 2 on my upper arm! I used to get these when it was hot in the UK - hasn't been an issue the last few years!

Plan for today is to go into Brisbane city and maybe do the hop on hop off bus tour.

House-wise, we spotted a cute older style house up the same street in Chermside as the one we viewed yesterday, and I've checked out photos on realestate. It looks fab and is in a much, much nicer spot but still easily walkable to Westfield. Dilemma is it's available now and we still have 28 nights non-refundable in temp accommodation! I don't mind a week's overlap but nearly 3 is too much. Timing is everything!

Oh, one last comment. I expected there to be loads and loads of people at yesterday's viewing. We got there 20 mins early so walked up the road where we saw the older house. Still arrived at the viewing 5 mins early and the agent was there already so we got first look. Left at the appointment time and there were maybe 5 more people milling around. Not too competitive for a flash new house that had 14 facebook likes, with a Saturday morning open!

Joob joobs that's great advice! We're getting our medicare cards tomorrow so I'll try and get a GP organised. Need to do this for thyroid meds anyway. Do you know what the injection was? And did it last a long time, ie. prevent more weals? I didn't sleep well last night as the weals were really itchy. I have about 8 of them mainly around my ankles plus one where the knee bends and 2 on my upper arm! I used to get these when it was hot in the UK - hasn't been an issue the last few years!

No idea what it was called but I think it might have been an anti-inflammatory, but I'm just guessing. I was mortified that I was getting injection on bum and wanted out there asap! :biglaugh:

The spots/sores cleared up in a day or two and didn't come back during our journey down the coast to Sydney. The doc said it was a reaction most found with Japanese skin... but don't know how far I'd trust him, he was sitting eating his sandwiches during my visit and telling me the best places to go surfing! :biglaugh:

PaisleyLass, hello and welcome to Brisbane, sounds like you're settling in great and are really motoring through that 'to do' list. I love the Chermside Westfield centre but I usually get totally lost in there as it is sooooo big, its currently the only place they have the apple store in Brisbane although they are coming to the City soon.

regarding the insect bites I use a spray that you can pick up at the chemists which is called 'stingose', its what I've seen the aussies using and I got bit about 4 times just last night and it definitely works in getting rid of the itch and calming down the redness. I've reacted really badly to bites and got totally attacked when we first arrived.

Best of luck with the house hunting.

Sharon

x

Guest lkquick

sounds like your settling in really well so far, looking forward to hearing about your adventures ... can't wait till we land in january... but we're moving to south brisbane.

Fantastic! Joobs, your post made me laugh muchly :oD

Smackey, I will try and get some of that today if possible, thanks for the tip! Will see how I get on with that but may still need a bum jab heheh, darn my sensitive wee skin.

lkquick - loads of adventures to come, each day is so much fun and we've only been here 48 hours but done loads - not even been to Brisbane city yet!

Things I like so far:

Kirks Pasito passion fruit soda - gorgeous with ice, or rum and ice!

Kedron - quiet away from the main road but we're close to convenience stores and the pub when we brave a visit!

Chermside obviously!

Kangaroo burgers - had one for dinner last night in our cottage, with swiss cheese & bbq sauce!

Coles - love the choice and prices fine, we got yummy thai curries reduced heheh! And a litre of amazing honey macadamia ice cream for $5!

Birdsong, cricket sounds, palm trees - paradise.

Gotta go and get outside this square mile or so and see more stuff!

Exciting reading about your new adventures...keep em coming!!!

One thing you might consider when house hunting....a brand new busway (dedicated road or tunnel) is opening soon all the way from the CBD to Kedron. It will eventually get to Chermside but may be a few more years.

If you could live nearby it would really speed up a CBD commute. Most buses in the area will feed onto it anyway so the whole area should benefit.

Here's a map with the proposed busway stops on it. Blue line is the busway, green line is the new tunnel to the airport. I'm sure you've noticed all the construction chaos at the moment. :)

airportlinkmap011.jpg

P1010103.jpg

Guest Pete the Feet

Kedron has a very high crime rate in comparison to Chermside.

Try B.W.S for alcohol

Aldi is good cheap produce, Coles is a rip off.

Get a GO card, it can be used for Buses, Train and the City Cat. Try the City Cat to the full extent of it's service, would reccommend it at night time.

Westfield Chermside top bannana.

Look in your letter box when you get a place for specials that come through.

If you get transport i.e. a car, look at the suburbs further north as rents are cheaper.

Good luck, it works for some, for others they go home!

Wow, the station will be great! One of the houses we're viewing on Tuesday is just off Stafford Rd so looks like it would be a feed-in and a reasonable walk to Kedron Brook in temperate weather! The other is near-ish to Nundah station but I love Kedron so much already! Well, that's 2 more days to get aquainted further afield so will see how it's looking!

We did Brisbane City today. Got the 333 express bus to City Hall, and went on the City Sights hop on hop off tour. Fantastic day! We saw so much, and took advantage of the included City Cat and had a wee peek at where hubby will be working in the West End. My latest love is the jacarandas. My favourite colour is lilac/purple, and the sight of these beautiful trees just lifts my heart! So colourful. Got lunch at Grill'd by Southbank, my lamb burger was gorgeous and hubby loved his chicken caesar salad. I see they have a few locations so we'll probably be regulars! Also took a detour to the Reject Shop for a few house-y bits. It really is just like my old fave Home Bargains but with cool Aussie brands - joy!

Once we finished City Catting we headed for the nearest pub, the Pig & Whistle. Got 2 pints of VB, not too bad for the location at $14.60, so got another round and sped home on the express bus :o)

Thanks tink, it's like being on holiday but knowing you're not going back home, and having to organise things at the same time - an odd feeling! But a great one! Only downside is the bites now increasingly appearing on my arms. I got some cream apparently better than Stingose (according to the pharmacist), and it seems to be helping slowly, just hope they don't keep appearing!

Guest Guest16631

...................good luck with the stingose................its just a case of finding what helps you.........:smile:......there are some natural repellents .....................not sure how good they are.................don't get bitten very often anymore......................though used to.!!.........:frown:........too high an alcohol level now though ................they get drunk biteing me and I can squish them...........:biggrin:.........they have passed the message around lol.................:laugh: