rockingham/Mandurah slum comment

jem32

Hi, Just reading a post on another forum of which I am not a member and the post was claiming Rockingham and Mandurah slums. I was shocked at this even although I aint been there they look beautiful.

I live in the West coast of Scotland and maybe views are not alike based on what you are used too.

I just thought I was ask the question.

Are Rockingham or Mandurah classed as slums or is it just a Freo snob passing judgment (he stated he was from Fremantle)

Thanks Jason

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jason

We live in Rockingham and it is weird how so many have such bad remarks to make about Rockingham, ok it is not perfect but I have seen as much graffiti and rubbish in Freo as I have here.

We like it here :rolleyes:

Sam

580.jpg

604.jpg

580.jpg

604.jpg

Guest guest37336
Hi, Just reading a post on another forum of which I am not a member and the post was claiming Rockingham and Mandurah slums. I was shocked at this even although I aint been there they look beautiful.

I live in the West coast of Scotland and maybe views are not alike based on what you are used too.

Are Rockingham or Mandurah classed as slums or is it just a Freo snob passing judgment (he stated he was from Fremantle)

Thanks Jason

Absolute tosh matey. OK, so all areas have different 'feels' but to compare the two to slums is way off the mark IMO.:no:

Don't read too much into it my friend.

Cheers Tony.

Yep you always get comments that are negative and are usually immature points of view or ignorant people who are up their own *****,

What I have seen of it all be it on youtube and google images it looks really nice and remarkably clean.

As for graffiti Melbourne had more than I had ever seen and I have been to all sorts of countries on almost every continent.

Jason

Thanks Jason

Not slums in the British sense and both have nice seaside locations. Rockingham though is indeed home to a rather lot of crime which has risen over the recent times quite substantially. I can research the figures if you would like more info on that.

Rockingham is right beside Kwinana,a major industrial complex which has some of the highest unemployment in WA with a lot of social problems to match.

Rockingham was in the sixties the biggest concentration of British immigrants. They came to work in the nearby industry and there were jokes galore about these folk.

It is a lovely spot for a picnic overlooking the sea and a safe beach as well. Here it is regarded these days as a Bogan suburb,or Chav for the Brits. Working class, a bit rough and a few dodgy looking blokes around after dark.

Mandarah on the other hand in my view has grown much to quickly. Looks nice perhaps but has a lot of social issues. A number pof the houses around the canals look empty and there is every chance they are with loads of absentee landlords. Find it rather stirile myself but others seem to like it.

Wouldn't pick either as a place to live though.

Hi,

Just had a re read and thought about it. I live in Coatbridge and this has been the murder capital of western europe several times. I know lots of people and even a friend that has been murdered.

There are loads of junkies and alkies hanging around and coatbridge consumes more fortified wine than anywhere else in the UK, and there are loads of places worse than here in the west coast of scotland.

Rockingham/mandurah sound like heaven to me

I nearly died a few years ago after an unprevocted attack. Sure every where you go there is and underbelly of society but here its not an underbelly its all over the place.

Its what you are used too and coatbridge , airdrie, bellshill, possil, barrhead, milton, believe me oz will not have places like this.

Jason

If a slum/chav/bogan/crime-addled city is one that has multi-million dollar properties, a vibrant cafe/restaurant scene, family-friendly facilities, is home to Australia's naval fleet, draws holiday makers (both international and day-trippers), award-winning beaches, diving, dolphins and has a great community spirit then call me a chav/bogan/slum-dweller. I have lived in Rockingham for years and love the place and can honestly say I nor any one I know has ever been touched by crime. Comments made negatively about Rockingham are, in my experience, made by people who have never lived there. Also, Secret Harbour is in the City of Rockingham.

Well, I arrived in Secret Harbour 5 days ago.... and I can't believe the contrast to where I have just left, in the UK (not so bad suburbs of Nottingham)..... its bloody beautiful here... everyone has been so friendly and helpful. We are staying with my sister at the moment, but plan to head down towards Mandurah.... Slums????? I don't know where you got that info from????? I know from my sis that its not all perfect.... but where is in the world?????.... have faith..... it truly is a lovely part of the world here.... and we are looking forward to a good quality of life here. The future looks bright.

Hey just found this it was anrticle from Monday this week.

Two cities on Perth's urban fringes are among the best places in the world to live, according to an international competition endorsed by the United Nations.

Joondalup and Mandurah were both named in an elite group of the world's most liveable cities in 2011.

The awards, announced in South Korea on Monday, were judged on criteria including healthy lifestyle, community involvement, arts, cultural heritage and environmental best practice.

Joondalup was top for cities with 150,000 to 400,000 people and Mandurah was second in its category of cities with 20,000 to 75,000 people.

There were more than 330 entrants from around the world, whittled down to 77 finalists

Try Bridgwater in Somerset in the UK! I've lived here for the last 6months and cricky if Rockingham is bad well this place is at the bottom of the barrel!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully i will be living in Rockingham in the next 12 months and i dont care what any statistics say as life is what you make it and not what is dictated by others.

Like other posters have mentioned, Nowhere is perfect but i'll be seeing a move there as a massive leap towards perfection!!!!!!!!!!

If a slum/chav/bogan/crime-addled city is one that has multi-million dollar properties, a vibrant cafe/restaurant scene, family-friendly facilities, is home to Australia's naval fleet, draws holiday makers (both international and day-trippers), award-winning beaches, diving, dolphins and has a great community spirit then call me a chav/bogan/slum-dweller. I have lived in Rockingham for years and love the place and can honestly say I nor any one I know has ever been touched by crime. Comments made negatively about Rockingham are, in my experience, made by people who have never lived there. Also, Secret Harbour is in the City of Rockingham.

I agree toally, been here for 38 years now and love it, wouldn't want live anywhere else. :smile:

Hi,

Just had a re read and thought about it. I live in Coatbridge and this has been the murder capital of western europe several times. I know lots of people and even a friend that has been murdered.

There are loads of junkies and alkies hanging around and coatbridge consumes more fortified wine than anywhere else in the UK, and there are loads of places worse than here in the west coast of scotland.

Rockingham/mandurah sound like heaven to me

I nearly died a few years ago after an unprevocted attack. Sure every where you go there is and underbelly of society but here its not an underbelly its all over the place.

Its what you are used too and coatbridge , airdrie, bellshill, possil, barrhead, milton, believe me oz will not have places like this.

Jason

hey jason, just thought id say hi to a fellow scot, not too far away from you, live down the clyde valley but i was born in glasgow. Ive got to agree with you, although there probably is a few rough parts they probably arent the types that we are used to. A bit of vandalism and a few people think that makes it a slum. I've had a look at it and it looks really nice, id probably feel a bit out of place in a completely perfect area lol

Just go for it :)

Guest rebeccae

Well i love it in Rocky, been to Mandarah a few times also and thats nice except for the Mozies!

everywhere has its bad areas!

Rocky is a good value place to live!

I work in Kwinana on the industrial area, people tell me its a little bit deprived there! I've never seen it, however there are alot of the LOCALS there

When i first came to WA i lived north of the river and was always told rocky is crap, it wasnt until i moved here 3 months ago i realised that its actually quite a hidden gem, especially in the safety bay area.

I come from Grantham in Lincs and have seen more anti social behaviour on one night there than what happens in a month here.

LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!!!!

Guest rebeccae
It was a commont or more a rant on the expat forum someone having a real go at rockingham and mandurah, as I said it looks amazing and I for one will be coming over to live there or there abouts.

Jason

Secret Harbour is a nice area, a bit out of town (Rural) but is close to port kennedy! Someone told me the other day that is rough, its an absolute load of rubbish, You wont be disapointed by the area rather amazed.

Aussies are used to living some what idilic lifesyles and if you put them in a large city in the UK on a saturday night they would proberbly describe that as a war Zone

Or have read recent police figures. Obviously not everyone is going to be touched by crime. I know folk who live in South London who love the diverse and friendly feel of the area and wouldn't live elsewhere. While they have never been touched by crime they claim to love the edgyness of the area.

Rockingham wouldn't begin to compete in any way in this level of edgyness. Totally different. As stated the beach and picnic grounds by the sea may well look paradise for a person living in a 'difficult' part of UK.

Having lived there for a time as a teen though there was a 'roughness' about the place. Very easy in those days to get into a punch up. My comment now would be a nice enough,low key area by the sea minus a certain x factor.

We live here and love it!! I've never felt threatened at all, and get to walk on the beach everyday with my dog. I say keep the negative comments coming - it keeps people away :) We don't want everyone discovering this bit of paradise!!!

Tracey

Ozhouserental

Guest guest17301

....and you can see dolphins at Rockingham beach....far from a slum, its a lovely area that has a ill deserved reputation.....bit like 'the northern burbs are little england' its just over exaggerated by people who DONT REALLY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT!

....and you can see dolphins at Rockingham beach....far from a slum, its a lovely area that has a ill deserved reputation.....bit like 'the northern burbs are little england' its just over exaggerated by people who DONT REALLY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT!

Not entirely undeserved perhaps when areas of the Northern Burbs have the highest concentrations of UK immigrants in the whole of Australia. One area having something like 30% UK born.

As for Rocki or as some say Shocki, as they say no smoke without fire . Still a bogan place, but the dolphins must admit are cute.

You know that`s what gripes me - when people slag off Rockingham they always say it`s full of Bogans. I do find this arrogance rather nauseating - when people ask me about suburbs I don`t slag off other burbs out of hand, I don`t make snidey sneery comments about chavs or POMs, I recently left a Facebook Group for exactly that reason. At the end of the day Rockingham may not be for everyone but there are lots of people here of all nationalities who are more than happy and who don`t feel the need to deride others.

There are undesirables living in Rockingham, but there are undesirables living in EVERY suburb, thats always going to happen. As a family going about your life, living in Rockingham doing family things, you are unlikely to see or have any problems from the undesirable members of the community, take your family to one of the local nightclubs and theres every chance you'll see them, but hey who takes their young children nightclubbing, and I'm not saying all young people who frequent nightclubs are not so nice. The amount of nice youth living in Rockingham far out weigh the amount of boguns.

Thanks Jason

Hi Jason I am from Manchester originally have lived in Safety Bay in the Shire of Rockingham for 32 years I love the place we have excellent restaurants beautiful Beaches and as regards the slums just go to google earth and see for yourself what it looks like there are so many people who live north of here who run the area down they are up themselves and need to get a life!!

cheers

Mick.

Archived