Declaring items less than 12 months old

BluePoppy

We'll be packing up to leave soon and I notice that for shipping personal effects you have to declare to AQIS all items less than 12 months old.

How detailed or thourough do you have to be regarding this declaration?

Is it best to declare a few token items or can we just say nothing is new? Do we really have to check every single thing that might be less than 12 months old?

Will we be charged duty/GST on everything we declare?

We have kids, so there are definitely toys and the odd bits and pieces that are less than 12 months old. It's not as if we've bought a load of new stuff intentionally to ship out to either avoid Australian tax or pay a cheaper price! I'm thinking of things like toys the kids received for birthdays in the past year - so I might not even know the price of the items.

Any advice/tips appreciated. Thanks.

Guest Guest31881

I would agree with Peach, do not worry about it. They are not after your kids toys, they are looking for the people who buy brand new furniture and stuff to bring over. I have never heard of anyone being questioned about the age of the goods brought over. ( That's not to say it does not happen)

Guest GoldCoastMag

We declared a couple of items that were new, but they must have been under the limit as we were not charged.

Me, I had watched too much Border Patrol and freaked myself out!!!

Good Luck

Me, I had watched too much Border Patrol and freaked myself out!!!

Good Luck

:biglaugh:thats what i've been doing, had to stop watching it all i'll be taking nothing over lol! Have picked up a few hints and tips from the forum though as need to buy new dyson and a few other bits that need replacing!:wink:

:biglaugh:thats what i've been doing, had to stop watching it all i'll be taking nothing over lol! Have picked up a few hints and tips from the forum though as need to buy new dyson and a few other bits that need replacing!:wink:

Deffo buy a Dyson, just use it a few times so it looks used. I bought one here and it cost me $850!!

We were given a new vacuum cleaner about two weeks before the move..... So we took it out of the original packaging and the movers put it in a box. They made sure it was the first thing onto the container, as this would maybe deter customs from searching for the box at the back.... Don't know if it works but they didn't check it and it was fine.

Guest simmo50

im thinking of buying new power tools before we go, saws, drills, e.t.c could end up costing about £1300, how is the best way to get these over, cheapest will i be charged, cheers

Guest suzannah

I listed a few things. Nothing much - just things that were obviously new. I bought the kids some coats, we have a new computer. That's it. I did put playdoh down though as it's still in the packaging!

Guest Beth101

We didn't put anything on the form - our removal company advised us they are just looking for people bringing in large items that you may resell once in Australia, without paying import tax on them.

I agree with everything the others have said. They're not overly worried about household items you actually use--they're only after big-ticket items that have a re-sale value. As others have said, just don't rub their noses in it by packing brand new things in their original boxes. They ARE pretty thorough about looking through your stuff.

Deffo buy a Dyson, just use it a few times so it looks used. I bought one here and it cost me $850!!

jumpin jesus!

think i might bring ours too then!

careful with the ball one, its the first dyson developed not to be easily fixed, if the motor goes its £115 to mr dyson :) all the ones before can be reconditioned for next to nothing.

still awake?

lol

thanks for listening!

They went through my shipment in enough detail to find a single wooden Christmas decoration that I thought would be okay because it was commercially produced and fully painted....

It might be they use X-rays to find stuff like that but it certainly goes beyond a paperwork exercise.

So I'm curious now. What was the outcome of the Christmas decoration? I assume the problem was that it was a wooden item, not declared. Did they just tick you off for not declaring it? Did they fine you? Did they destroy/confiscate it?

I'll be filling in out our AQIS declaration tomorrow. Makes me think I've got to be very thorough!

They went through my shipment in enough detail to find a single wooden Christmas decoration that I thought would be okay because it was commercially produced and fully painted....

It might be they use X-rays to find stuff like that but it certainly goes beyond a paperwork exercise.

They do 5 kinds of x-ray, or so our movers told us! And yes, they check boxes that may be suspect. Rooted through my xmas decs, shoes and cats bowls. Nothing was confiscated.

I don't think it hurts to declare one or two low value items. We declared a couple of items that would have been obvious if inspected (eg brand new boxed dyson hoover). Tax and Duty was only $68 on the lot but I think it was worth it because we had a lot of electricals in the original boxes that could have been challenged if they felt like being petty.

I think the main aim of the declaration is to stop anyone bringing over loads of brand new high value items.