Do we need a pool or is it a luxury?

frostie

That's not too bad at all. Unless of course the cost of the electricity is high. We have rellies in Oz that have a solar heated pool which seems to work out cheaper for them. Like most people we will be renting initially so we will either have to go for a complex which has a pool - but not too keen on that tbh or find another way of doing it. When we buy we will go for a house with a pool or put our own in. But as you say, a bit disappointing as the children have been sold the dream as being able to swim in thir own pool each day.

It's not cheap but it's not expensive either (relatively), if you keep on top of it. Even if it costs 50 bucks a week, isn't that a fair price for a bit of luxury for yourself and fun for the kids?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got a pool, was also a brownie point of sale with the kids to move :)

We lived there for over a yr then they sold the house. It was great but rarely used, took a lot of maintenance and chemicals and although it looks great in the Winter when the days are sunny (in Brissie) the water was icy cold and they would not go in. It got used for a few months a yr and cost a lot of electricity. We now do not have a pool and havent for over a yr. We miss it though, expecially when its boiling hot, but then the kids burnt if it was really hot and went in it anyway!

we use the beach a lot and to be honest, I prefer it.

My friends have their own pool and it goes horrid green, very easily with all the rain.

My friends have their own pool and it goes horrid green, very easily with all the rain.

Then they didn't maintain it properly (as is so often the case). Pools can't be ignored, no different to a fish tank really, ignore it and it goes dowwn the shute and costs a bomb to put right. Maintain it correctly and your costs are minimal. I've never had a green pool in 12 yrs of having one

Guest Pete the Feet

I've got a pool, due to the hideous cost of electricity it isn't used any more for swimming, I just keep fish in it now, saves me getting the boat out.

It's not cheap but it's not expensive either (relatively), if you keep on top of it. Even if it costs 50 bucks a week, isn't that a fair price for a bit of luxury for yourself and fun for the kids?

Hi John - yes, I agree. It's part of the lifestyle we are buying into so we will budget for it. The only problem when we move over in March will be..... finding a rental with a pool, one that will take a cat, close to a good school and not too far from Brisbane CBD! Don't want much do we! :wink: (when I say not too far I mean within a 45 min commute!)

Were in the hills district and have a community pool which I was very grateful for yesterday:biggrin:

Like yourself Mandy we were looking for a house with a pool I did see some pools were maintained by the landlord and others that weren't, but we were advised from friends to avoid getting a pool out the back as the cost of running it would be massive. So community pool is ideal no maintenance or costs the landlord pays that.

Before you come over make sure NOT to throw out any of your household stuff ( except whats not allowed in) or clothes as Sydney is quiet expense.

Were in the hills district and have a community pool which I was very grateful for yesterday:biggrin:

Like yourself Mandy we were looking for a house with a pool I did see some pools were maintained by the landlord and others that weren't, but we were advised from friends to avoid getting a pool out the back as the cost of running it would be massive. So community pool is ideal no maintenance or costs the landlord pays that.

Before you come over make sure NOT to throw out any of your household stuff ( except whats not allowed in) or clothes as Sydney is quiet expense.

We were looking at the hills and from what we have seen (on the internet)they look lovely and have everything we need for the lifestyle we want!

Although someone has advised us against them as they said they are too far out from Sydney? (cant see that myself tbh) that its alot hotter than costal areas? And that you get alot more flys? Could you tell me what your opinion is and would you mind telling me where you are? I liked the look of Kellyville, Castle hill, baulkham hills ..well actually everywhere in the hills district looks ideal to us! :wink:

My husband wants to go for the communal pool/tennis courts idea to be sociable and hopefully help us to make some friends. When we arrive we will not know anyone .

Look forward to hearing from you

Mandy

Guest guest17301

Havent got a pool....would love a pool...would get a lot of use over the Summer/Autumn months....actually we do have a pool..a 12 foot intex metal framed one....cant swim in it...too small but Ok for a splash and the kids like it...even one of those needs a lot of upkeep though, filter must go on at least 8 hrs a day and a chlorine tab in a floaty thing kept ours pretty clean most of last summer. A cover is a must or you get leaves/insects etc in it and is a pain to pull on and off. An inground pool would be amazing but costs a bomb. A compromise is a spa....we're hoping to get one put in within a few years around 1/5th of the cost of a decent sized pool...

This is quite interesting reading . We have just had our qoutes back for a pool to be fitted in our garden, saltwater below ground , we are in Wa .. so we are having one , but at the back of my mind will we use it enough or is it an expensive water feature ... then saying that when its hot and it will be solar heated we will prob get a lot of use .. prob warmer than the intex one :confused: i hope !

Havent got a pool....would love a pool...would get a lot of use over the Summer/Autumn months....actually we do have a pool..a 12 foot intex metal framed one....cant swim in it...too small but Ok for a splash and the kids like it...even one of those needs a lot of upkeep though, filter must go on at least 8 hrs a day and a chlorine tab in a floaty thing kept ours pretty clean most of last summer. A cover is a must or you get leaves/insects etc in it and is a pain to pull on and off. An inground pool would be amazing but costs a bomb. A compromise is a spa....we're hoping to get one put in within a few years around 1/5th of the cost of a decent sized pool...

Fiona , have you looked at the above ground pools .. clarks rubber have a google .. we would have had one of those and decked it ( you still have to have fenced etc ) , but our gardens the wrong shape so were having a below ground because we have to .

i quite like my intex its good for colling off but as you say not good for swimming !

Hi John - yes, I agree. It's part of the lifestyle we are buying into so we will budget for it. The only problem when we move over in March will be..... finding a rental with a pool, one that will take a cat, close to a good school and not too far from Brisbane CBD! Don't want much do we! :wink: (when I say not too far I mean within a 45 min commute!)

Rentals with pools are few and far between. just console yourself with the fact that when you're settled and in your own place, you can have one. We're within 45 mins of CBD. You can come and use ours until such time as you have your own.

Rentals with pools are few and far between. just console yourself with the fact that when you're settled and in your own place, you can have one. We're within 45 mins of CBD. You can come and use ours until such time as you have your own.

Thanks John :biggrin: Which area did you choose to settle in?

Carla

Our house we just bought has one,but it was not the reason we bought this house.Any'ow,it's a pain in th'harse!It's Butyl lined,below ground level,was like a murky fish pond 3 months ago,despite using all kinds of Chemicals to sort it,then it get's a slow leak !!!!:shocked:Took yonks fully emptying it,then it's guess work finding the hole:wink:After patching up with the latest glue type technology,i just filled it up in stages,get's it full today and guess what!!!:swoon:Yup:yes:,Glug,Glug,Glug!!!!:arghh:Tham thar Pools are big time work,every day,just for a few hours fun!!!No nay never,no nay never no more!!!:no::wink:

Our house we just bought has one,but it was not the reason we bought this house.Any'ow,it's a pain in th'harse!It's Butyl lined,below ground level,was like a murky fish pond 3 months ago,despite using all kinds of Chemicals to sort it,then it get's a slow leak !!!!:shocked:Took yonks fully emptying it,then it's guess work finding the hole:wink:After patching up with the latest glue type technology,i just filled it up in stages,get's it full today and guess what!!!:swoon:Yup:yes:,Glug,Glug,Glug!!!!:arghh:Tham thar Pools are big time work,every day,just for a few hours fun!!!No nay never,no nay never no more!!!:no::wink:

Hmmm ... this is what worries me ... will the up keep be a pain beyond :eek: is it an old pool ? is that why the leaks etc ?

Hope you get it sorted :wubclub:

If you are in Sydney and you have an unheated pool, you may be lucky to get 6 months use out of it per year. It will occupy a fair proportion of your back garden and consume some $$ a week in upkeep and electricity.

You will find that there are a handful of days when you really, really need a pool in Sydney. The rest of the time it will be a nice to have. If it sells the move to your kids then go for it. Most folk I know that have pools suffer them. And if you are buying a house with a pool get it checked out first. A duff pool can be more expensive to fix that getting the original put in in the first place.

Guest guest37336

How about one of these:

sprinkler-kids-l.jpg

Many a happy day spent in my youth when my parents would say:

Go and play in the 'pool', :goofy: which was the better alternative to playing with the traffic as they often would say,:cry::biglaugh:

Seriously, I know little of pools, but do know the upkeep and maintenance 'may' be extensive.

Do what some others have said, invest in a BIG inflatable pool if all else fails my friend, you can get some smashing ones nowadays.

If that means keeping your kids 'on side' then all's fair in love, war and migration.:cool:

Cheers Tony.

Thanks John :biggrin: Which area did you choose to settle in?

Carla

Bald Hills. Forget the doomsayers talking about green water and maintainence. 5 minutes a week is all mine gets. You get on top of the pool, you don't let it get on top of you. Pool blanket collects the leaves. creepy crawly collects the dust on the bottom.

Yeah my friends were busy working and often get green pool water, as they are working and too busy to sort it all the time (they have had the pool years)

it does cost a lot in electric though and if you do not have heated water, is used rarely. We must of used ours 3 mths a yr.

The creeper was always turning over, getting blocked and tubes broke frequently and we had to net all the leaves, was a pain, My DH hated maintaining it and is glad we dont have one, but me and the kids miss it :)

Guest EdwardJohnEyre
Bald Hills. Forget the doomsayers talking about green water and maintainence. 5 minutes a week is all mine gets. You get on top of the pool, you don't let it get on top of you. Pool blanket collects the leaves. creepy crawly collects the dust on the bottom.

That is exactly how long I spend on mine.

Hired hands to maintain a pool :mad: = lard arses:cute:

Archived