Do we need a pool or is it a luxury?

frostie

Ok this may seem like a strange post BUT i am finding myself looking on Domain.com all day every day! We are moving to Sydney area in January and was looking at the Hills Districts due to the large houses and pools. We have now ruled this area out and have been looking at the Shire & St.george areas.

Anyway i manage to find lots of houses we like with 3/4 beds which are in our price bracket ($750) Max but when i put in a pool there are hardly any. Is it that either not many rentals have a pool or is it common not to have a pool in these areas?

And for those of you that live there can you cope ok in the summer heat without the pool?

I have looked at these potrable pools so maybe with owners permission to put one in the garden that could be a possibility?

I know a pool may seem trivial to some but its kinda swaying the kids to happily move there!!:biggrin:

Is there any other places rentals are posted apart from domain, real estate & gumtree??

Thanks in advance for any advice

Mandy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't know any other sights, but I get your point about your children, same with mine

Yep kids are adament they want a pool, and me being me jumped straight in before looking into it and told them they could have a pool. Youngest two are easy to compromise but the edest one at 9.5 is really exited about a pool.

How old are yours? What areas are you looking at?

Mandy

Pools are great yes, the kids love them but the upkeep is a nightmare! My MIL pool currently looks like a pond in a park & yes only the other day their were ducks in it! The winter took it's toll, people being too busy working to look after it & a broken pump which costs a fortune to replace means it now sits like that until they've got the time to sort it out! So not always the dream pool to keep cool in!

Having worked extensively in the pool industry in the UK I always found it funny when a hotel or sports centre would open a pool and try to make money from it. It is well known in the industry that you struggle to make money or profit from a pool. This is due to the cost of chemicals, maintenance, water consumption, electricity and heating (unlikely to be required in a domestic OZ pool).

I guess I am saying is that it would be wise to seriously consider how often you would use the pool.

Thanks to you all for your comments and advice :biggrin: I think we have just gotta get over the "dream life with a pool" i didnt even think about maintenance was just kind off hoping to pay someone to do it for me :confused:

In real honesty kids will be at school, husband at work and just me & my 2 yr old at home. So one of those large blow up pools would really be fine for us.

Not having a pool opens up so many more rentals. I can now go away and search areas because they are nice and not just because i can afford a house with a pool there lol....

Thanks again. Its been nagging me for ages do i really need a pool especially living by the ocean and now thinking about it , and with your advice answer is No we probably dont !!

For a lot of people the beach soon wears off and a pool is better for them, I just prefer a cold beer and a place in the shade.:cute:

The beach looks after itself :biggrin: and the lifeguards are none too bad either.... Of course, you could get a pool boy....:daydreaming:

I do have to admit I personally dont like swimming in the sea tbh.

I like the look of these houses with community pools and tennis courts. Means no maintenance on my part and swim when we like. But downside to these are the garden sizes look tiny.

Guess we will find somewhere when we get there that suits us all. And once we are there we will have to take whats on the market and thats it really?

The beach looks after itself :biggrin: and the lifeguards are none too bad either.... Of course, you could get a pool boy....:daydreaming:

Naomi you are making the beach sound tempting....

How long have you been in Sydney for? I am so exited about coming over in Jan but nervous too espcially with 3 kids.

Mandy

Naomi you are making the beach sound tempting....

How long have you been in Sydney for? I am so exited about coming over in Jan but nervous too espcially with 3 kids.

Mandy

Hi Mandy! Landed on 22nd August so really new! Now that summer is here the beaches are amazing.... So many to choose from. You'll love it. If you are a bit scared of the sea then check out Bronte (enclosed pool) and Clovelley which would suit you fine. X

Hiya

We too are looking at properties with a pool and they seem to be few and far between which is really disappointing as our girls have been promised a pool and they are really excited about that! Paddling pools really aren't the same - you can't swim in those can you :wacko:

I stupidly promised the kids a pool to get them on side for the move...Should have kept my mouth closed at least till i researched more !!

There are portable pools which are approx 4' Deep which may be deep enough? They are like massive paddling pool things but says they can go on concrete grass or anything really so may have to look into those. Or perhaps we will continue looking at the communal pools on the complex hosuing estates.

I think i want the dream house, pool large garden and ideally costal location... In reality its not going to happen for us as we wont be able to afford it. :unsure:

Guest The Pom Queen

When we were in Melbourne we looked at putting a pool in it was going to cost around $50k but we were advised against it, not many Ozzies like pools and we were told it would devalue the house rather than add money to it.

To be honest I'm glad we didn't bother, our neighbours had a pool and used it twice a year.

We have a pool up in Cairns, it's only a small one but our electric costs have doubled and it costs me $250 per month for someone to maintain it.

When we were in Melbourne we looked at putting a pool in it was going to cost around $50k but we were advised against it, not many Ozzies like pools and we were told it would devalue the house rather than add money to it.

To be honest I'm glad we didn't bother, our neighbours had a pool and used it twice a year.

We have a pool up in Cairns, it's only a small one but our electric costs have doubled and it costs me $250 per month for someone to maintain it.

Thanks for that information. Makes it more realistic with how much it costs to run one. With comparing the cost of maintenance and running it, it probably wouldnt be viable with the time we would spend in it.

With regards to the landlords worrying about drowning i did wonder about that. A few ive seen on domain.com dont even look like they are fenced off which rules them out straight away. I didnt think that was even legal??

I think the kids are going to have to be bribed with something else.

Thanks again

Mandy

I have a large 100,000litre salt pool and all up (chemicals) it cost me $600 last year and electric on top of that. Five months of the year it is used every day with two kids and their mates and friends round for a barbie/dip (mostly poms too tight to get their own) :biggrin:

My in-laws have a 60,000 L pool but its in a big garden, bit of work involved in looking after it all the same. It saves having to mow the grass and the entertainment area is fantastic but trying to keep the leaves out of the pool is a major pain in the ass.

A Pool, hard surface, fencing etc can be expensive to maintain, houses with pools don't make good investment properties.

Still hard to beat a hot afternoon of lazing around the pool,.

I have a large 100,000litre salt pool and all up (chemicals) it cost me $600 last year and electric on top of that. Five months of the year it is used every day with two kids and their mates and friends round for a barbie/dip (mostly poms too tight to get their own) :biggrin:

That's not too bad at all. Unless of course the cost of the electricity is high. We have rellies in Oz that have a solar heated pool which seems to work out cheaper for them. Like most people we will be renting initially so we will either have to go for a complex which has a pool - but not too keen on that tbh or find another way of doing it. When we buy we will go for a house with a pool or put our own in. But as you say, a bit disappointing as the children have been sold the dream as being able to swim in thir own pool each day.