cleaning goods b4 we pack

watford

just a quicky whats the name of the cleaning chemical you should use for garden furniture or ornaments you plan on taking to oz. so that they smell clean and to remove all soil.

thanks alan

Zoflora is another disinfectant you can use and you can get it in different smells also. I would advise this for things like cleaning your shoes as jeyes, which I used also, doesn't smell so nice. You can buy Zoflora from Tesco,Asda,Morrisons, Wilkos etc etc.

Another tip for cleaning stuff thats electrical or the like is to use WD40 and a nail brush or old tooth brush. Cleans plastic, rubber and metal up a treat and leaves a thin film to protect the surface further.

I've been scrubbing and cleaning and packing for 4 months now so I'm pretty addicted to disinfectant and WD40 !!!!!!!!!

Carlos

Guest cararich

How clean do things have to be? For example I've got an aluminium stove top espresso maker which is coffee stained - do all stains have to be removed or just clean?

And also my pots have a few stains is this ok?

Thanks x

Guest Spindrifter
How clean do things have to be? For example I've got an aluminium stove top espresso maker which is coffee stained - do all stains have to be removed or just clean?

And also my pots have a few stains is this ok?

Thanks x

Just a quick note re: cleaning stuff.

If you're taking a pushbike don't forget to check under the saddle for dirt and other guests/organic debris etc - especially if your bike has been ridden with no mud-guards fitted. Road dirt/salt etc can accumulate and it's easy to overlook.

Oh, and check and clean your vacuum cleaner and the nozzles for dirt and hairs etc.

Cheers

So, can we clean our pushbikes with this jeyes too? :unsure:

I found cleaning the bikes with WD40 worked much better which is what I used to clean most things then I just sprayed with Jeyes afterwards using a pump sprayer I got from Wilkos (about £4). I also shrinked wrapped everything to keep it clean and dust free. (ps. Don't forget to take the front wheel off and tie wrap it to the frame side and also turn the pedals from fitting to the outside of the cranks to the inside......got to make everything as small as you can.......

We had a 'Jetwash and Jeyes' day to clean all bikes, camping gear, hiking boots etc. on the drive. Wd40 after once dry to stop anything rusting. Will use tip on moving front wheels and pedals, thanks.

Youngest son has now bought a stunt scooter to add to the cleaning/packing! Great.

We spent about 4 days solid using the jetwash, jeyes fluid, bleach and multi-purpose cleaning fluid.

Husband in his infinite wisdom decided it would be a great idea to wash the tent in jeyes fluid in the washing machine. GAH, now I'm not sure if it will still be waterproof when it gets to Aus!

Don't forget shoes (especially hiking boots and trainers) need a good scrub too!

We spent about 4 days solid using the jetwash, jeyes fluid, bleach and multi-purpose cleaning fluid.

Husband in his infinite wisdom decided it would be a great idea to wash the tent in jeyes fluid in the washing machine. GAH, now I'm not sure if it will still be waterproof when it gets to Aus!

Don't forget shoes (especially hiking boots and trainers) need a good scrub too!

Excellent!!! I hope he didn't include the poles.:rolleyes:

Lol - luckily hubby left the poles and pegs to me, which again were Jeyesed again (I think I invented a new verb there).

Although I think hubby's fishing gear probably took the longest - but that was HIS problem. I got stuck with the gas BBQ..... Jetwasher time galore !

It's all a vague memory now as I sit here in (rather chilly) Melbourne about to start my new job tomorrow morning. Here's hoping we did a good enough job and it gets straight through the inspection!

Any whiffy disinfectant is great. We brought bikes over and had to have them look almost brand new. It's really to reduce bringing any bugs into the country and they are very strict so spray spray spray. That said, this IS Australia so if they open a box and get a nose full of disinfectant chances are they will think 'ooooh this IS clean!' but don't risk it as they will just throw your things away!

It is like Xmas when your container arrives though!

Good luck!

I didn't clean any of our shoes, I have too many....none were encrusted in mud so I felt it was ok and none of our stuff was stopped in customs. I think if you have hiking or work boots with a thick tread that can harbour chunks of mud then it would be worth giving a good scrub.

Can anyone tell me about taking my washing machine. When I pull out the softener tray and look deep inside it's black absolutely no way I can get all the black stuff off do you think it will be ok?

Ours was the same......didnt want to risk it so sparayed it with zoflora and water mix and scrubbed it with a tooth brush......also took out the filter which was at the bottom front on ours and cleaned that too.......maybe over the top.....maybe wont even look at it.......but if they did its clean.....and not only that its clean for us to use when we get to OZ :biggrin:.........been scrubbing my tools and house stuff for 4 months now.....tomorrows the day for the shippers.......last few things tonight and then its out of our hands !!!!!!!!

Is it safe to clean everything with Jeyes? Like all the kitchen stuff? Toaster? Kettle? Juicer? I'm about to embark on that this week.

Personally I wouldnt..... not sure if that would be safe around food items and it doesnt smell all that good too........would be better using the bottled spray you can get from tescos or asda etc.... the one you can spray on worktops and kills 99% of germs....you know the one.......or just a good dust with a new paint brush and wiped down with clean water......

Archived