What is Perth like?

Pottster

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
im glad i dont drink beer! im a vodka or wine girl. i heard the wines fairly cheap?

depends how fussy you are. you can get a decent bottle for around $10 at the bottlo, obviously there's cheaper stuff but it can be a bit ropey. the other way is to buy cask wine or buy it from graysonline (bit like ebay for wine and other random stuff like computers and Ian Poulter golfing gear)

depends how fussy you are. you can get a decent bottle for around $10 at the bottlo, obviously there's cheaper stuff but it can be a bit ropey. the other way is to buy cask wine or buy it from graysonline (bit like ebay for wine and other random stuff like computers and Ian Poulter golfing gear)

guess thats the same as here, the cheaper stuffs usually rubbish. i bought a bottle of wine in portugal for 2euro, the cheap scot side of me just couldnt help it lol. i only had half a glass n it tasted like vinegar and gave me heartburn! serves me right :cute:

im not much of a drinker anyway so i doubt id spend much in oz on it

Hi guys, good post glad you like it here.

Thought id try and give people thinking of doing the same a heads up.

Ive been here for nearly 6 yrs now- and one word to describe this place is EXPENSIVE. YOU need to work hard to make the money to be able to have a good lifestyle, the first couple yrs me and the missus where here house prices alone went up 45% in WA.

If you like a social life aswell forget it, I was paying $14 a PINT!!!! (nearly 10quid) on sunday for a pint of lager (brewed locally in fremantle). Im 31 and now drink at the local lawn bowls club(average age of 80) even still paying 9 bucks a pint.Food has gone through the roof aswell- we used to eat out 4 nights a week and for lunch but now we can only afford twice a week and the odd lunch.Take Tuscanninis in Applecross, i order an all day breakfast and juice and it comes to over $30!! I used to get a fry up for under 2 quid back home.

There is a lot of work here, I myself have a plumbing and construction business and I now work 6-7 days a week. I only worked 4-5 days and never weekends back in blighty.

Its a great place but dont think its all sunshine, fishing and surfing cause you do need to work here- hard.

Not being negative- i wouldnt live back in England at least untill I finish work anyway, but it has changed alot just in 6yrs and the exchange rate makes it hard.(my mates cant afford to come and visit anymore):arghh:.

Thanks

GOOD LUCK:biggrin:

Breakfast for whatever reason is expensive here in Perth. I was paying 4 quid for the full monty with tea or coffee last year at a cafe in Bayswater W2 with outside sitting,while in Perth without the drink is around $19- $20 minimun and for some reason not as good.

Usually can pick up a pint for around $8-$10 around the city i've found, although I have heard it mentioned that a pub in Leederville is charging $18.50 a pint but that must be a special brew.

RSL clubs do it cheaper around $6 from memory but normally are required to be a member but that's only about $10.

But fully agree the cost of maintaining a social life in Perth is very expensive.

I have found anything under $15 for a bottle can be wanting. Another thing about local wine was used to find it a little odd paying less for Aussie wine in France or Germany than what it cost back home.

I have found anything under $15 for a bottle can be wanting. Another thing about local wine was used to find it a little odd paying less for Aussie wine in France or Germany than what it cost back home.

It is strange isn't it, I can get good aussie wine or Californian blossom hill for 3 for £10

Hi guys, good post glad you like it here.

Thought id try and give people thinking of doing the same a heads up.

Ive been here for nearly 6 yrs now- and one word to describe this place is EXPENSIVE. YOU need to work hard to make the money to be able to have a good lifestyle, the first couple yrs me and the missus where here house prices alone went up 45% in WA.

If you like a social life aswell forget it, I was paying $14 a PINT!!!! (nearly 10quid) on sunday for a pint of lager (brewed locally in fremantle). Im 31 and now drink at the local lawn bowls club(average age of 80) even still paying 9 bucks a pint.Food has gone through the roof aswell- we used to eat out 4 nights a week and for lunch but now we can only afford twice a week and the odd lunch.Take Tuscanninis in Applecross, i order an all day breakfast and juice and it comes to over $30!! I used to get a fry up for under 2 quid back home.

There is a lot of work here, I myself have a plumbing and construction business and I now work 6-7 days a week. I only worked 4-5 days and never weekends back in blighty.

Its a great place but dont think its all sunshine, fishing and surfing cause you do need to work here- hard.

Not being negative- i wouldnt live back in England at least untill I finish work anyway, but it has changed alot just in 6yrs and the exchange rate makes it hard.(my mates cant afford to come and visit anymore):arghh:.

Thanks

GOOD LUCK:biggrin:

Mate if you want to eat in Applecross then you're going to have to pay for the privelege. I guess you could have found a more expensive place but it would have been tough.

The breakwater pub in Hillarys was voted Australias best pub this year. I have commented before that it's also probably one of the most expensive, it's a total ripoff but you can still get a pint there for $12. It must be a flash place you are paying $14 in.

I can go to a couple of pubs around where I live and pay around $6 for an Aussie brewed beer. I see a lot of people are prepared to pay the extra cost of drinking "designer" beer out of bottles, their choice.

If I payed $15 for a bottle of wine it would have to be something special. Go in any bottle shop and there would be a selection of wines, red, white, rose and sparkling from about $5 up. Not saying they are all great but I've bought a couple recently that have been really nice and payed about $7. Just find a couple you like and stick with them.

Woolies do a great range of cleanskins for $5.

Mate if you want to eat in Applecross then you're going to have to pay for the privelege. I guess you could have found a more expensive place but it would have been tough.

The breakwater pub in Hillarys was voted Australias best pub this year. I have commented before that it's also probably one of the most expensive, it's a total ripoff but you can still get a pint there for $12. It must be a flash place you are paying $14 in.

I can go to a couple of pubs around where I live and pay around $6 for an Aussie brewed beer. I see a lot of people are prepared to pay the extra cost of drinking "designer" beer out of bottles, their choice.

Possibly a useful link:

http://www.watoday.com.au/lifestyle/people-power-and-the-price-of-a-pint-20100316-qbmz.html

I live in Mount Lawley which is reasonably trend suburb. Paid $5 for a huge bacon roll in Soto on Beaufort Street yesterday morning. Get yourself an Entertainment Card if you eat out. It costs $65 but will save you hundreds over a year.

Having said that, even in West Perth, I've never paid more than $8 for a pint. The city tends to be in the $8-10 bracket.

As for wines, buy in bulk at places like Dan Murphys or winecow.com.au - you can make massive savings that way.

There are plenty reasonable places to eat and drink - go out exploring and you'll soon find them.

Possibly a useful link:

http://www.watoday.com.au/lifestyle/people-power-and-the-price-of-a-pint-20100316-qbmz.html

I live in Mount Lawley which is reasonably trend suburb. Paid $5 for a huge bacon roll in Soto on Beaufort Street yesterday morning. Get yourself an Entertainment Card if you eat out. It costs $65 but will save you hundreds over a year.

Having said that, even in West Perth, I've never paid more than $8 for a pint. The city tends to be in the $8-10 bracket.

As for wines, buy in bulk at places like Dan Murphys or winecow.com.au - you can make massive savings that way.

There are plenty reasonable places to eat and drink - go out exploring and you'll soon find them.

** Entertainment book is a must if you like decent food**. You can buy local beers for about 8 bucks in general but it tastes like rat wee.Its ok in small amounts but gives you a bad head after a few.In Freo and surrounds you wont get a pint for less than $10 even clanceys which used to be very well priced(still do the best beers).I know i drink there.

I get out and about mostly in freo and canning Hwy(raffles,clanceys,legends etc) the cheapest beer would be Mid strength- which will still set you back over 8 bucks.Killkenny and guiness $11 a pint. imported largers between 10-15.Even little creatures from freo is $10.50 a pint now but its cheaper there,must be the long logistics up canning hwy to put the extra 2 bucks per pint on it.

True Dan Murphys and First Choice have been a blessing as you can get good deals especially on wine and imported beers/ciders.However dont expect the Sainsburys deals of 2 cartons for 20 quid of Stella or ciders.As an example I was paying $120 for a bottle of Moet in the local bottle shop when I first arrived here, now you can pick it up for $50 at first choice.

To answer the question- im looking at returning to England in approx 6-10 yrs to retire and get my pension and play golf in the rain.- well if the rates and prices of living in each place etc stay the same as they are now.

(-:

:biggrin:

The one near baskin robins? ive been past there but never been in.Might have to pop in for a butchers.

Also i use Urbansppon.com.au as it has great reviews of most places to eat and drink in perth.

Archived