What is Perth like?

Pottster

I'll add my thoughts on this debate (argument?)

I'm a 30 year old single guy who recently moved over from the UK. I work in recruitment and I'm lucky that there's a call for people in my profession all over Australia. When I decided to make the move, I did months of research before deciding on which city to focus my applications and Perth ticked more boxes than anywhere else.

First off, I do intend to take advantage of the economy in Perth. I will be recruiting in the mining sector so on top of an exceptional base salary (and LAFHA!), the opportunity for me to be successful is currently far better than anywhere in Australia and perhaps anywhere else in the World. The mining industry won't last forever and what happens to it is predominantly dictated by China but as I understand it, it will last far beyond my lifetime.

The second factor was quality of life. I spent some time in Sydney and Melbourne earlier in the year and it's fair to say that Perth is more laid back. That being said, it is what you make of it. In my two weeks here, I've been to various events and met up with some great people. I won't go as far as saying that there's as much to do here as there is in the aforementioned cities but there seems to be plenty on offer. There are endless websites dedicated to events and activities in Perth. The list is endless and I'll never be able to fit in everything but I intend to see and do as much as possible

Cost of living is higher than the UK, that's common knowledge. That being said, the salaries are higher and it's cheaper than Melbourne and significantly cheaper than Sydney. Nearly everyone that I've spoke to over here has commented on how much more disposable income they have.

In short, I have no regrets about choosing Perth. I'm looking forward to starting a new life here and honestly can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be.

Good positive post and I am glad it suits you, but this post along with the other post which some people called negative should all me on here, what Fiona has said.....all people are different and what suits one will not suit another so we should take them all with the honesty they are posted.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All I can say on this debate, having never set foot in the other states is that if Perth is boring in comparison...the rest of Australia must be FRICKIN AWESOME!!! Bring it on, I knew it was a good idea to emigrate:wub:

After living in Stoke Fiona I should imagine tim-buck-two would be nice :cool:

Guest guest17301

Shut up!! Stoke is awesome too...in its own little way:eek: Its my home town and i will never slag it, the people are the best and the place itself is a product of endless useless local governments but still has its own charm.

Good positive post and I am glad it suits you, but this post along with the other post which some people called negative should all me on here, what Fiona has said.....all people are different and what suits one will not suit another so we should take them all with the honesty they are posted.

Thanks mate and you're absolutely right. This thread is entitled "What is Perth like?" not "Only say great things about Perth"

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and as long as they're expressed in the right way, I see them as being acceptable.

Guest guest17301

Now you're insinuating I only like it because I know no better:no:

(what were you saying NB?:cute:)

Some may consider it takes an undemanding soul to find contemtment in a place like Perth,well so be it.

As long as you are happy with your decision to be here surely that is all that should matter.

Undemanding maybe but a more demanding soul may be roaming a long while as Utopia can be quite difficult to find....

Guest guest37336
Undemanding maybe but a more demanding soul may be roaming a long while as Utopia can be quite difficult to find....

Bugger, if true that's me well and truly stuffed.:no:

Not that I have a demanding soul,:no:, more demanding feet that are never 'quite' happy in one place and are constantly needing a scratch to get that bloody itch..:goofy:

Talking about countries by the way,:wubclub::wideeyed:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest guest17301
Isn't Robbie Williams from Stoke? :biggrin:

We went to school together. We knew eachother, havent spoken since 1 or 2 years after Take That made it though!

Bugger, if true that's me well and truly stuffed.:no:

Not that I have a demanding soul,:no:, more demanding feet that are never 'quite' happy in one place and are constantly needing a scratch to get that bloody itch..:goofy:

Talking about countries by the way,:wubclub::wideeyed:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Ahhhh but are you looking for Utopia or Adventure Tony? Big difference.... :wubclub:

Guest guest37336
Ahhhh but are you looking for Utopia or Adventure Tony? Big difference.... :wubclub:

See my friend, I need a good kick up the backside now and again to form my sense of realty again.:yes::notworthy:.

Yep, more than likely adventure, no such place as Utopia to a degree I guess.:idea::no:

I know that some see me as selfish when I say I want to bugger off again on a new 'adventure', but have done it for so many years it's difficult to stop.

But as a 'grown up', husband and dad I have to at times hold back.:yes:

Still, though I love them dearly my two Herbert's will soon be flying the nest and then maybe I can show Ruth some of the sights I have seen,:jiggy:.

God, I hate being sensible at times.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

See my friend, I need a good kick up the backside now and again to form my sense of realty again.:yes::notworthy:.

Yep, more than likely adventure, no such place as Utopia to a degree I guess.:idea::no:

I know that some see me as selfish when I say I want to bugger off again on a new 'adventure', but have done it for so many years it's difficult to stop.

But as a 'grown up', husband and dad I have to at times hold back.:yes:

Still, though I love them dearly my two Herbert's will soon be flying the nest and then maybe I can show Ruth some of the sights I have seen,:jiggy:.

God, I hate being sensible at times.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

You sound a bit like my OH and look where we are now :biggrin:

Its all an adventure and bring it on I say :yes:

It is the underlying tone of the posts from you and others that get my goat. That somehow we are culturally, mentally deficient because we happen to happy here. Your superiority is sickening and 10 times more boring than Perth!

Why do you feel that way? Why can't you and your ilk accept the fact that there are differing views around this without the need to get constantly defensive about defending your life here? That is just so weird and says a lot I suspect about you.

Why do you feel that way? Why can't you and your ilk accept the fact that there are differing views around this without the need to get constantly defensive about defending your life here? That is just so weird and says a lot I suspect about you.

I can accept differing views. I appreciate that Perth isn't for everyone. No place in the world suits everyone. However, you and 'your ilk' always get very insulting about those of us that like Perth and insinuate that we must be devoid of culture and not have any brain cells if we like it here. I am only defensive about that.

He is only giving his opinion of Perth to be honest, when someone says Perth is the best place in the world and a fantastic place to live you don't seem to get upset do you, anyone with any sense will read all the positives and negatives and make up their own minds, if he finds Perth boring and uninteresting he should be allowed to say it just as much as someone who finds it wonderful.

Pretty normal procedure from certain expats here in Perth. Makes you wonder just who they are trying to convince themselves.

As for Perth has I stated it is an ok place and comfortable but as you well know it has its limitations. Only fair people should have an awareness of all sides of the coin.

Don't worry I won't be shut up either.

Perhaps what is also being referred to is not just the act of doing something but equally the mental and intellectual fulfillment being just as important.

Perhaps if you read your post again you might be able to see why it can possibly be taken as a veiled insult....

Rather than for what is is meant to be.

Been here jusT over a week, it's been cold and wet but I love it. People are friendly , it's very clean, great beaches. I don't think it's that expensive, london's expensive, but then the wages are better. Minimum wage here is about £12 , so you can afford things to be a bit dearer.

I can accept differing views. I appreciate that Perth isn't for everyone. No place in the world suits everyone. However, you and 'your ilk' always get very insulting about those of us that like Perth and insinuate that we must be devoid of culture and not have any brain cells if we like it here. I am only defensive about that.

Do no such thing. My post reflect the subject at hand and not the person. You and some others consider the slightest critique about Perth as almost a subversive attack on your ideals. Very odd. You interpret it has saying i'm suggesting your lacking in grey matter for wanting to be in Perth. This is a common theme that I have noticed also in how you address others. Perhaps you should ask yourself why you so often cite this?

Been here jusT over a week, it's been cold and wet but I love it. People are friendly , it's very clean, great beaches. I don't think it's that expensive, london's expensive, but then the wages are better. Minimum wage here is about £12 , so you can afford things to be a bit dearer.

Glad to hear your having a good time! shame about the weather but at least you know you'll have great weather soon :) my main worry about coming to perth is things being expensive but its true that wages are higher and once your earning dollars and stop converting things work out, dont mind paying a bit extra to live in such a lovely place!

Perhaps if you read your post again you might be able to see why it can possibly be taken as a veiled insult....

Rather than for what is is meant to be.

Well I consider that a fair enough comment. I have heard this lack of intellectual pursuits a common enough reason why locals uproot. Why for heaven sake would anyone find that offensive? Perth is based on mining and related industry. People in other areas are often forced over east or off shore. That is fact.

Archived