What is Perth like?

Pottster

Well I have to say my 23 year old and both my 21 year olds have been presented with many more opportunities than they were in the UK where we were Colchester and Ipswich based.

Admittedly we've only been here five months but they have found night clubs, bars, cafe's and festivals that float their boat. They've been to cinemas that offer different films, arthouse as well as main stream. They've enjoyed various live music events and although not into the footy are looking forward to a Finals Party at the weekend with work friends who are going all out and hiring hot tubs and huge tv's for the garden (!) and have invites for TWO boat parties!!!! :yes:

My older girl acts and is about to become involved in theatre here. None of them are particularly sporty but my son is planning to try kayaking and kite surfing. Beth is about to embark on a childcare degree. Sarah and her chap (who is coming for a year on a WHV next month) are off to spend a few days in Margaret River and will be going on a winery and brewery tour in November.

They all put themselves out to chat to new people with the intention of making friends and having a kicking social scene! :clown-cool:

As for DH, myself and the littlie's we've been camping Oop North, explored parks with facilities you just don't get in the UK, picnicked in Kings Park whilst listening to (free) live music every Sunday this month and have too many other kiddie orientated functions lined up:mad: to list....all free!!!!!

En masse we have eaten at some funky little restaurants... keeping the cost lower by all chipping in and bringing our own booze :wink: and we're all off for a weekend in Cevantes in a couple of weeks to surf the sand dunes and do some snorkelling. Between us we are seeing Kings Of Leon, Goyte, Portishead and Jessie J in the near future.

Now surely that doesn't sound too boring...whatever age you are?!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harpersgirl, you are spot on.

I think someone mentioned before that maybe RichB didn't get out much. Even his comments about it being flat and no rocky cliffs and nice walks is not true.

He's obviously never been on the walk over the cliff path from Mullaloo to Burns Beach. Various little rocky coves along the way and fantastic views.

I took my nephews on a bike ride when they were over from the UK and they complained how hilly it was. They were both unfit and overweight though.

To me and the family Perth has been a dream come true. We are all fairly sporty people, love the beach and still spend hours down there even after 20 years.

There is so much to do here that is free and parking usually free too, unless you go into the city. People tend to forget that for every expensive restaurant there are cheap ones out there too. It's knowing where to go. If you can't afford a restaurant there are always food halls.

The bring your own booze in a lot of restaurants can save you a fortune too. I remember going out to eat in the UK and the drinks costing as much as the food, no option to take your own either.

I see the OP is also considering Canberra. I've been lucky enough to visit lots of places in Oz and Canberra would be one of my least favourite. Obviously as we like the beach it's going to score bad on that front. It reminded me a lot of Milton Keynes, along with the man made lake.

You can check my other posts on what I think of Perth if you like but you wouldn't get a bad post about it from me. Obviously doesn't suit everyone though.

Guest guest17301

You cant please some folk! Maybe its more about the individual than the place? God this debate is sooooooo boring, way more boring than Perth:wink:

Perth is a fantastic place to live, it's different form some other cities (as you would expect) and offers much in the way of intellectual stimulation and fulfillment for those who can be bothered to look for it. Also plenty of mindless FUN for the sun/surf/sand brigade.

Harpersgirl, you are spot on.

I think someone mentioned before that maybe RichB didn't get out much. Even his comments about it being flat and no rocky cliffs and nice walks is not true.

He's obviously never been on the walk over the cliff path from Mullaloo to Burns Beach. Various little rocky coves along the way and fantastic views.

I took my nephews on a bike ride when they were over from the UK and they complained how hilly it was. They were both unfit and overweight though.

To me and the family Perth has been a dream come true. We are all fairly sporty people, love the beach and still spend hours down there even after 20 years.

There is so much to do here that is free and parking usually free too, unless you go into the city. People tend to forget that for every expensive restaurant there are cheap ones out there too. It's knowing where to go. If you can't afford a restaurant there are always food halls.

The bring your own booze in a lot of restaurants can save you a fortune too. I remember going out to eat in the UK and the drinks costing as much as the food, no option to take your own either.

I see the OP is also considering Canberra. I've been lucky enough to visit lots of places in Oz and Canberra would be one of my least favourite. Obviously as we like the beach it's going to score bad on that front. It reminded me a lot of Milton Keynes, along with the man made lake.

You can check my other posts on what I think of Perth if you like but you wouldn't get a bad post about it from me. Obviously doesn't suit everyone though.

The SW coast of WA even looks a bit Cornish (without the villages and the people) you can even get a Devonshire tea there if you look.

You cant please some folk! Maybe its more about the individual than the place? God this debate is sooooooo boring, way more boring than Perth:wink:

Perth is a fantastic place to live, it's different form some other cities (as you would expect) and offers much in the way of intellectual stimulation and fulfillment for those who can be bothered to look for it. Also plenty of mindless FUN for the sun/surf/sand brigade.

Perth suits certain people and not others why not leave it at that? Wonder If you consider the post so so boring wonder why you bother to respond. You consider Perth fantastic good for you, meanwhile others are more dubious about what they find. Equally correct.

Guest guest17301
Perth suits certain people and not others why not leave it at that? Wonder If you consider the post so so boring wonder why you bother to respond. You consider Perth fantastic good for you, meanwhile others are more dubious about what they find. Equally correct.

Same reason you responded to me...to get my point across!!! Its not the post I find boring its the topic, its been done to death! We all know what floats one persons boat will not float anothers...its when people start insinuating that if you love it you must be a simple type that gets peoples backs up I think. For example...'if you love beaches and barbies youll love Perth but thats all thats good about the place' etc

Bit like vegemite so:biggrin:

Very true. Thats what to my mind it is all about. Differing points of view is what makes it all the more interesting as well giving the peep conflicting views.

I do note that some posters take an almost hostile approach to those whom may harbour a differing view especially as to the desirability of a place for example.

Same reason you responded to me...to get my point across!!! Its not the post I find boring its the topic, its been done to death! We all know what floats one persons boat will not float anothers...its when people start insinuating that if you love it you must be a simple type that gets peoples backs up I think. For example...'if you love beaches and barbies youll love Perth but thats all thats good about the place' etc

I take your point to a degree but this being Poms in Oz and people are going to be asking similar questions such as 'Whats Perth like to Live' until the cows come home and others are going to answer that it is dry, flat and boring with equal frequencey then we'd best accept that as reality.

Some may consider it takes an undemanding soul to find contemtment in a place like Perth,well so be it.

As long as you are happy with your decision to be here surely that is all that should matter.

The SW coast of WA even looks a bit Cornish (without the villages and the people) you can even get a Devonshire tea there if you look.

I enjoy going down to the South Coast a lot. As i lived in Albany for a considerable period know the area well.

Used to go to Frenchman's Bay for a Devonshire tea but no longer going. The old Strawberry Farm used to do a great tea as well but not even sure that is still going as wasn't open when last there in Febuary.

Hot - flat - boring and very, very expensive...I dont really care if you dont agree with my view of perth..That is my view of perth...but not everyones...everyone to their own hey...Once the mining industry declines in WA...oneday, Perth will be left with nothing but sprawling suburbs and out of work people..

I found Perth boring yes, but is does have some nice beaches and although flat has some lovely scenery to be fair.

It is the underlying tone of the posts from you and others that get my goat. That somehow we are culturally, mentally deficient because we happen to happy here. Your superiority is sickening and 10 times more boring than Perth!

It is the underlying tone of the posts from you and others that get my goat. That somehow we are culturally, mentally deficient because we happen to happy here. Your superiority is sickening and 10 times more boring than Perth!

He is only giving his opinion of Perth to be honest, when someone says Perth is the best place in the world and a fantastic place to live you don't seem to get upset do you, anyone with any sense will read all the positives and negatives and make up their own minds, if he finds Perth boring and uninteresting he should be allowed to say it just as much as someone who finds it wonderful.

everybodys entitled to their opinions, rich if you find it so flat and boring then why dont you move?? i think perth suits us the most. im not looking somewhere with lots of clubs and pubs but even if i was perth looks like its got enough to suit me. its got the beach, good weather, beautiful scenery, jobs, and lots of free activities all things that we are both looking for

Guest guest17301
He is only giving his opinion of Perth to be honest, when someone says Perth is the best place in the world and a fantastic place to live you don't seem to get upset do you, anyone with any sense will read all the positives and negatives and make up their own minds, if he finds Perth boring and uninteresting he should be allowed to say it just as much as someone who finds it wonderful.

As NB says Perthbum, its the undertones. Its at best amusing, at worst insulting. I have many online friends who hate Perth even Oz, its about mutual respect. I don't think that people who dislike Perth are stupid or somehow lacking...I just think they dont like Perth....simple as

It isn't the fact they don't like Perth, I am a 40 something year old woman who appreciates we are all different and like different things. As I said in my last post it is the insulting undertone that you and other posters seem to give out that galls me.

It isn't the fact they don't like Perth, I am a 40 something year old woman who appreciates we are all different and like different things. As I said in my last post it is the insulting undertone that you and other posters seem to give out that galls me.

What insulting undertone do I give :eek:

I'll add my thoughts on this debate (argument?)

I'm a 30 year old single guy who recently moved over from the UK. I work in recruitment and I'm lucky that there's a call for people in my profession all over Australia. When I decided to make the move, I did months of research before deciding on which city to focus my applications and Perth ticked more boxes than anywhere else.

First off, I do intend to take advantage of the economy in Perth. I will be recruiting in the mining sector so on top of an exceptional base salary (and LAFHA!), the opportunity for me to be successful is currently far better than anywhere in Australia and perhaps anywhere else in the World. The mining industry won't last forever and what happens to it is predominantly dictated by China but as I understand it, it will last far beyond my lifetime.

The second factor was quality of life. I spent some time in Sydney and Melbourne earlier in the year and it's fair to say that Perth is more laid back. That being said, it is what you make of it. In my two weeks here, I've been to various events and met up with some great people. I won't go as far as saying that there's as much to do here as there is in the aforementioned cities but there seems to be plenty on offer. There are endless websites dedicated to events and activities in Perth. The list is endless and I'll never be able to fit in everything but I intend to see and do as much as possible

Cost of living is higher than the UK, that's common knowledge. That being said, the salaries are higher and it's cheaper than Melbourne and significantly cheaper than Sydney. Nearly everyone that I've spoke to over here has commented on how much more disposable income they have.

In short, I have no regrets about choosing Perth. I'm looking forward to starting a new life here and honestly can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be.

Guest guest17301

All I can say on this debate, having never set foot in the other states is that if Perth is boring in comparison...the rest of Australia must be FRICKIN AWESOME!!! Bring it on, I knew it was a good idea to emigrate:wub:

Guest guest37336

Never found Perth boring, and I have been out there as a teenager and an 'oldie'.:embarrassed:

Love the sense of 'isolation' and being able to get well and truly away from the hustle by jumping in the car and driving no more than two hours and hey ho, outback time.:jiggy::notworthy:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Archived