first day of spring

ajs604

Here!

Haha this morning I just thought, oh great it's spring and the weather is worse than in England.:nah:

But no. Guess what. The sun just starts coming out slowly right now. So there is still hope. And we already had a couple of nicely warm days here in MEL so there's not much to complain about so far.

Technically, Spring doesn't start until around the 21st September at the Spring Equinox. I;m sure it will really feel warmer then than it does now!

I really hope so. Its not been a cold winter but just be nice to get out the t-shirt and shorts again!

I could but am really settled in Victoria. I do love Perth though be nice to explore it more my favourite place was Freo. I stayed there for several wks a few years ago before emigrating - did the night tour of the jail and rock nest island and a day trip down to the margaret river!! Never say never could always change my mind. Also you get more shark attacks over there and as a keen beach goer something I want to avoid ha.

Guest sh7t man no way

in the uk it will be autumn soon,and the weather will be getting colder while over there it will be hotting up--it will soon be long hot summer days for you guys in oz--T shirts,and boardy shorts for another 6 months:jiggy:while in pom land it will central heating,and 5 jumpers--enjoy

I could but am really settled in Victoria. I do love Perth though be nice to explore it more my favourite place was Freo. I stayed there for several wks a few years ago before emigrating - did the night tour of the jail and rock nest island and a day trip down to the margaret river!! Never say never could always change my mind. Also you get more shark attacks over there and as a keen beach goer something I want to avoid ha.

The shark attacks are way over stated ajs. There has only been one fatal one at Cottesloe the whole time I've lived here. You would see heaps of people in the water every day, even in winter. Your chances of being attacked would be miniscule.

We are keen beach goers and live only 2 mins away from a great beach. We go on some long ocean swims and the only things I've seen are dolphins and seals, thank goodness.

Freo is nice isn't it, lots of nice restaurants too. I think you mean Rottnest Island btw, rotto to locals.

We are going down to Augusta in November to do the Anaconda race. I was pleasantly surprised by Augusta. I think people usually get to Margaret River and stop.

Guest liltman
in the uk it will be autumn soon,and the weather will be getting colder while over there it will be hotting up--it will soon be long hot summer days for you guys in oz--T shirts,and boardy shorts for another 6 months:jiggy:while in pom land it will central heating,and 5 jumpers--enjoy

Central heating, 5 jumpers soon...... Here in Ireland that's a summers day and don't forget the brollie...... :arghh: :wink:

I really hope so. Its not been a cold winter but just be nice to get out the t-shirt and shorts again!

Be nice to get my t shirts and shorts out again!! and considering its still summer here in the UK and I haven't had them out yet, things are not looking hopefull!!

Be nice to get my t shirts and shorts out again!! and considering its still summer here in the UK and I haven't had them out yet, things are not looking hopefull!!

Do you know what, today has been absolutely gorgeous!! And...yes....I got the shorts out!!

It feels like the first day of the summer hols, not the last tho!!

Whos looking forward to spring? Heres hoping for a warm summer and plenty of use of the BBQ. If it was anything like last year I will be thoroughly dissapointed. Just dusted off the surf board so am hoping to get lots of use!

Yep, heard you had a bad summer, hope you have a good un this year :cute:

Its been beautiful in Melbourne this week. Due to be 22 today, which feels much warmer in the sun. Its seriously windy though - which I am finding isn't uncommon here. Many bad hair days, haha.

Am dreading the 40 degree days - I'm too english and freckly to handle it! Better start toughening up if I am to cope!

:eek:where are you living if you have not been able to wear your shorts once this year? think someone is telling porkies here:cool:

Guest Been there

Beautiful cloudless day. Then the horse spooked/had a seizure and crashed through a fence on ihs side and it was instantly very pear shaoed. $565 lighter in the wallet and waiting on blood tests. Gonna be a very quiet fathers day :wideeyed:

The shark attacks are way over stated ajs. There has only been one fatal one at Cottesloe the whole time I've lived here. You would see heaps of people in the water every day, even in winter. Your chances of being attacked would be miniscule.

We are keen beach goers and live only 2 mins away from a great beach. We go on some long ocean swims and the only things I've seen are dolphins and seals, thank goodness.

Freo is nice isn't it, lots of nice restaurants too. I think you mean Rottnest Island btw, rotto to locals.

We are going down to Augusta in November to do the Anaconda race. I was pleasantly surprised by Augusta. I think people usually get to Margaret River and stop.

I have heard there are many great places to visit on the west coast. i really should come over and take a holiday over there. Would also love to visit Broome!!

my daughter was in the water at oceanreef a few years ago hip height in the water and a shark was seen the helicopter signalled to them , alexandra and her friend moved the quickest they had ever moved in their lives , there are more attacks than have been noted here i seem to remember that in the shark attack in cottesloe that two others were badly injured one being a priest his feet were torn to shreds trying to help the man that was fatally injured

WEST Australia has had four fatal shark attacks in recent years dating back to the death of Mosman Park man Ken Crew at North Cottesloe in November 2000.

Recent WA Shark Attacks

October 1997: Former St Kilda footballer Brian Sierakowski and friend Barney Hanrahan escaped when a 5m white pointer attacked their double surf-ski 150m off Cottesloe.

October 2000: Greg Pickering, 47, a professional diver from Ocean Reef, was mauled by a 1.5m bronze whaler 9km off Cervantes.

FATAL: November 2000: Businessman Ken Crew, 48, was killed by a 4m white pointer in waist-deep water at North Cottesloe.

February 2001: A 5m white pointer leapt out of the water off Albany and clamped its jaws around an outboard motor as Don and Margaret Stubbs watched in horror.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

335713-newsletter-signup.gif

January 2004: Allan Oppert was attacked while diving for lobster 24km offshore in Binningup, north of Bunbury. He survived, despite being bitten 11 times below the knees.

June 2004: Surfer Tom O'Brien, 17, was bitten on a foot by a bronze whaler off Bunbury's Back Beach.

FATAL: July 2004: Carpenter Brad Smith, 29, was attacked and killed by two sharks while surfing off Gracetown.

FATAL: March 2005: A 6m white pointer killed boat skipper Geoffrey Brazier, 26, while he snorkelled off the Abrolhos Islands.

September 2005: Surfer Brad Satchell scared off a 1.3m shark by punching it on the nose as it lined up to attack him 150m off Scarborough.

January 2006: Diver Bernie Williams was attacked by a 3.5m white pointer about 5km off City Beach. He received only minor wounds to his arms and said a mate's electronic shark deterrent saved his life.

December 2006: 15-year-old Zac Golebiowski from South Australia loses a leg in a shark attack east of Esperance. He was attacked by a 4.5m white pointer.

May 2007: Ellenbrook mother-of-five Becky Cooke had her foot torn to pieces by a reef shark near Coral Bay while holding her toddler in 30cm of water.

July 2007: Scotch College College student Angus Chapman, 15, was attacked by a 1.5m bronze whaler in chest-deep water in the Cocos (Keeling) Islands.

November 2007: A man survives a shark attack off the Kimberley coast.

FATAL: December 2008: Port Kennedy fisherman Brian Guest, 51, taken by a giant white pointer while snorkelling for crabs in about 5m of water near his beachside home.

June 2010: Walpole man Mick Bedford survives being mauled on the leg by a large shark off Conspicuous Cliff Beach, 15km east of Walpole.

FATAL: August 2010: Nicholas Edwards, 31, fatally mauled at Gracetown, near Margaret River.

October 30, 2010: Elyse Frankcom, 19, attacked while snorkelling off Garden Island

http://www.news.com.au/national/shark-attack-claims-life-at-bunker-bay/story-e6frfkxi-1226129181587

Not sure if you have seen this but a body boarder was bitten in half yesterday - shark attacks are more frequent without a doubt on the west coast. As a sufer myself I would still surf anywhere as life is all about risks but still makes you think. Poor chap - must be a horrible time for his family.

You would still stand a higher chance of being killed in a car crash whilst driving to the beach.

The shark attacks quoted above cover a massive area from Esperance to the Abrolhos and Cocos Islands.

The guy that was killed in Cottesloe was aprt of a group of people that had been going for a swim at the same place for years with no problems.

When a shark attack happens it is instantly all over the news. If they had the same thing for people killed in car crashes there would be news items every day.

I guess there are always going to be people who say if you don't go in the water you can't get attacked but I couldn't stand to live here and not go in the water. It's one of the best things about living in Perth.

totally agree with you more chance of being killed on the road than in the ocean , but six of them were from north of perth to rockingham , ive lived here 30 years , i would nver go in the water at dusk and id never swim in the same spot at the same time day in day out , i used to water ski , but always had my eye out for any fins [ because of jaws lol]

Archived