what has the uk got that australia lacks

Guest sh7t man no way

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fat lot of good it's done me eh?:tongue:

:laugh:Hey maAAAAATE ,life would be dull on here if we never had these little debates wouldnt it!:wink:

You know me h,typical scouser,too much to say for meself and cant help saying it:biggrin:,awww its gonna be interesting in aus!:jiggy:

How come?

Have they not considered the years you were working as a nurse in Oz?

No apparently the fact that I left the NHS is a mortal sin LOL:arghh: I worked in the UK as a nurse for 18 years and Oz for 3, if I went back to Oz I would still be back on the higher band, they consider experience rather than where you have been nursing.

No apparently the fact that I left the NHS is a mortal sin LOL:arghh: I worked in the UK as a nurse for 18 years and Oz for 3, if I went back to Oz I would still be back on the higher band, they consider experience rather than where you have been nursing.

Sharon, I'm not questioning what you're saying, but I'm still a little sceptical.

Unless you have applied for a position which was advertised for a newly qualified with a salary to match or a totally different area that you've been working in the past 20 years or so and hence have no experience in that area, I can't see how they can justify to employ you on the same band and salary as a newly qualified.

If anything, working abroad as a nurse should be in your favour and is a positive thing to have on your CV.

Really, how can they do that... strange one that, I would take it up with them to be honest as it just not seem that it is possible in todays market.

Family here - what family - been alone over here for 31 years whilst my family in UK has grown to over 100! There is also the fact that there is so much we haven't seen of our birth country so plan to go back for 5 years and travel all over. However, it does have cheaper food, more choice and fresher, scenery that totally changes along the coastline every 5-10 kilometres, fantastic pubs, more night life, really amazing cities that vary so much, superb freeways for super fast travelling when needed to cross country, very cheap cars and motor homes and a variety that we just cannot match. Incidentally, we've been all over and around Australia.

We have found the opposite, we are treated like we dont belong in the UK, we are not entitled to any finacial support before we start work even though we are British, if we were from another country in the EU we would be entitled to money. Now we are back the novelty with family and friends has worn off, we actually have more people in Oz asking us to move back there, didnt realise how many nice friends we had over there until we left and returned to the UK. It was a big mistake moving back but unfortunately we are stuck now due to finances, think hard anyone before you move to the UK, there are no jobs that pay anything like Oz did if any jobs at all. I have been fortunate to get a nursing job, but because I left the UK I have been put on the same pay as a newly qualified nurse despite having over 20 years experience, it is a joke.

I hope I can help a little for you (I'm very familiar with the foibles of A4C for my sins).

The Band you go on will depend on the job you applied for - higher band jobs are disappearing rapidly for nurses at the moment I'm afraid.

BUT - there is the scope for your new employer to recognise equivalent service to increase your starting pay. i.e. although you'll still be in Band 5 you don't have to go to the bottom of Band 5. If you can demonstrate that your Australian experience was equivalent you should be able to argue the case to start above the bottom of the scale. It will depend a lot on local Trust policies and procedures, but if you want some help (knowing what arguments to use can make the difference) in more detail feel free to PM me :)

Cheers

We have found the opposite, we are treated like we dont belong in the UK, we are not entitled to any finacial support before we start work even though we are British, if we were from another country in the EU we would be entitled to money. Now we are back the novelty with family and friends has worn off, we actually have more people in Oz asking us to move back there, didnt realise how many nice friends we had over there until we left and returned to the UK. It was a big mistake moving back but unfortunately we are stuck now due to finances, think hard anyone before you move to the UK, there are no jobs that pay anything like Oz did if any jobs at all. I have been fortunate to get a nursing job, but because I left the UK I have been put on the same pay as a newly qualified nurse despite having over 20 years experience, it is a joke.

Are you going to come back to OZ? It's interesting that returning to UK has made you re-assess what life was like for you in OZ. The novetly has worn off and you realized that you had moved on with your life in a different direction. I suspect that it is the same for a lot of people who come to OZ?

I imagine that you are banded 5 and are at the top scale of that banding - therefore you will need to apply for a more senior position to increase your wages. A newly qualified nurse is also banded 5 but will be at the bottom end of the scale !

Sorry the move back has not worked out for you - just goes to show how different we all are.