Meeting people in Sutherland Shire/Sydney

Guest suziem

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'm alison and have just enters my 30, I've two children Isabel 6 and Alexander 5 next week! I would love to meet new people! I currently staying at Brighton le sands in temp accommodation but looking to live in the caringbah area.

My children are in need of some play mates as I can't register them at school yet and there driving me mad! LoL x x x

Hi all, I am mid thirties, I have 2 children aged 10 and 8 and we arrived in Jan 2013. We currently live in Barden Ridge (just about making it into The Shire!). I would be happy to head over Caringbah/Cronulla way if there's a meet up being planned. Anyone interested in meeting up over the next couple of weeks PM me and I'll get back to you.

Hannah

How about I suggest some dates and times to meet then if I hear back from people via pomsinoz I will know whether we can go ahead and meet up? It seems that most people are around the Caringbah/Cronulla area and some of you would have young children with you, so how about we aim to meet at a cafe near a park....maybe the cafe/ice cream parlour at South Cronulla beach? If anyone has a better suggestion I'm happy to go with it. What about dates? I can do Mon 2 Sept, Wed 4 Sept, Thurs 5 Sept, Fri 6 Sept, any time on those days arriving after 9:30/10am and leaving by 2:30pm. Let me know what you think. If next week's no good, I can post more possible dates. We can go with a general consensus, then once we've got a date that the majority of people can make we can finally get together! You can always PM me if you'd prefer.

Hannah

I walkerfamily123 we were looking at caringbah or cronulla to live but the rentals we have seen are shocking! So a friend has suggested sans souci! Can you make any recommendations? Do you have kids? What's the schools like if you do! We are at Brighton le Sansa in temp accommodation but need to find something :-)

thanks Alison x

hannah78 I'd love to meet up! My 2 are 5 and 6 and need some playmates! I'm on public transport :-)

I walkerfamily123 we were looking at caringbah or cronulla to live but the rentals we have seen are shocking! So a friend has suggested sans souci! Can you make any recommendations? Do you have kids? What's the schools like if you do! We are at Brighton le Sansa in temp accommodation but need to find something :-)

thanks Alison x

hannah78 I'd love to meet up! My 2 are 5 and 6 and need some playmates! I'm on public transport :-)

The other end of Sutherland Shire, around Engadine etc is lovely, and more affordable too. We are in this area, and have been very happy here. It is very family oriented, there are plenty of amenities, and we are right on the train line to the CBD.

thanks Alison x

Hi Alison,

Sans souci i a lovely little place, people are very friendly and its close to the beach. As far as school go we havent got kids so we couldnt really comment. I dont know how much you are looking at spending on rent but http://www.realestate.com.au/property-villa-nsw-sans+souci-411286887 is a nice little rental. You would be about 10-15 minutes walk from ramsgate shops and ramsgate RSL which does nice cheap'ish meals. Also the local beaches are lovely in the summer (not as busy as brighton gets).

Good luck with your move, give us a shout if we can be of any help

Hi walkerfamily123 I looked at that property just a bout an hour ago! It loos lovely but we have 2 children and girl and a boy and am not sure it will be big enough. We also I have a dog so I'll need to see if its suitable but thanks x

LKC thanks for that I'll have a look there too! I see you have 2 girls are the happy at school/childcare?

Hi walkerfamily123 I looked at that property just a bout an hour ago! It loos lovely but we have 2 children and girl and a boy and am not sure it will be big enough. We also I have a dog so I'll need to see if its suitable but thanks x

LKC thanks for that I'll have a look there too! I see you have 2 girls are the happy at school/childcare?

Yes they are both at school now, and very happy. Engadine has four primary schools and two secondary schools (I think), there are a few supermarkets (Woolies, Coles, Aldi and a Super IGA), plus greengrocers, butchers, bakeries, cafe's, post shop etc, so it is well provided for, for every day things. There is a station in Engadine where you can get the train in to Sydney CBD so it is well linked in terms of transport, and it is a really friendly place. Much of Engadine has a bushy outlook, so it is lovely and green and leafy, and I think it is the fifth safest suburb in Sydney, although I can't remember where I read that.

Yes they are both at school now, and very happy. Engadine has four primary schools and two secondary schools (I think), there are a few supermarkets (Woolies, Coles, Aldi and a Super IGA), plus greengrocers, butchers, bakeries, cafe's, post shop etc, so it is well provided for, for every day things. There is a station in Engadine where you can get the train in to Sydney CBD so it is well linked in terms of transport, and it is a really friendly place. Much of Engadine has a bushy outlook, so it is lovely and green and leafy, and I think it is the fifth safest suburb in Sydney, although I can't remember where I read that.

I've just booked to see a house tomorrow! Do you need to run 2 cars? I'm not sure if it maybe too far out for my husbands job but deaf worth a look.

Thanks for all your help

We do need two cars, but we are just out of Engadine in Woronora Heights. The school is in Engadine, plus all of the shops, and hubby works in Hurstville and does late nights sometimes and also works weekends, so I would be stuck without a car. If we lived in Engadine itself, it would probably be easier to manage with one car, because we could either walk to school/the shops etc, or OH could walk to the station (although his late nights would still be a pain). Which road is the house on?

Anzac ave. We are hoping not to have to run another car until we can figure money out and I get a job once my youngest starts school. My husband is all over sydney because of his job so needs to drive!

You are within walking distance of the shops there. The main shops are off Old Princes Highway/Caldarra Avenue, and there are more shops at the other end of Anzac too, although they are just small local shops. The school, you would most likely be in the catchment for Engadine Public School. Our girls go to Engadine West PS, which we are in the catchment for, and I don't know anyone who sends their children to Engadine Public. I have a couple of friends along Anzac Avenue, but they both applied for out of area applications for our school which is quite a bit bigger. Engadine Public is on Cambrai Avenue, right opposite the Woolies supermarket.

Depending on exactly how far along Anzac you were, you'd most likely be in walking distance of most things.

I'm not sure to be honest, I've never asked. One friend is more towards the Engadine West end of Anzac Ave, and the other friend was in the same mothers group as my first friend and looks after her children three days per week after school, but I don't know if that is why. It may be because Engadine Central is a smaller school with less facilities, and Engadine West is bigger, but that would just be a guess. I'll ask them this afternoon and let you know.

If you want any other info about Engadine and where things are, give me a shout. I am just going out now, but will be back when I have picked the girls up.

I asked when I saw them earlier. There were two main reasons. Firstly, the majority of the kids from their mothers group (who had known each other since birth pretty much) were going to Engadine West, and they wanted them to stay together. The second reason was that the catchment for Engadine Central includes a number of apartment blocks, and whilst they are lovely (this is actually a fairly affluent area), they felt that there was more likely to be a transient feel, in that children were more likely to come and go through the years, rather than the more stable population at the other school. I don't think that there is anything wrong with the school per se, but they both wanted more stability in terms of friends. I actually know two other parents who were pupils themselves at Engadine West, and I would bet that there are lots more around, it seems to be in the sort of area where people stay put. I have never been to the other school so I don't really know anything about it, but if you google both, you should get the school websites up which might be helpful.

There is also a Catholic school, St John Bosco, which is well thought of. I don't know if you are Catholic, but that might be worth a look in to, although I don't know where you would stand with regards to fees.

• 1 year later...
Anita,

Just started using this website. I saw your msg to Suzie. I live in Gymea Bay, have been here for 4 years and now trying to make some new friends in the local area. I am also in my 40's with two teenage children. It would be great if we could all get together for coffee?

@an1ta - what are the public high schools like around where you are? We are trying to pinpoint a place to live in Sydney. Been looking at the shire, the eastern suburbs and the northern beaches