School Fees on 457 Visa

Guest GoodersGang

Guest Cheshirepoms

Hi

We are just starting out with our fact finding.

I have three children and all are in full time education. My youngest is at High School and the other two at Uni.

I know that the Uni fees on a temp visa are horrendous, but I hadn't thought about school fees for the youngest one! Can anyone tell me how much school fees are in Victoria? We are considering moving to Melbourne with OH's job.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WelshDebzs

Hey

We are heading out to Mel next Jul

This is what my agent quoted me

Melbourne - $6000.00 - Yr1 - Yr6

$7950.00 - Yr7 - Yr10

$8900.00 - Yr 11 & 12

Sunshine Coast - $8000.00 - Yr1 - Yr10

$8800.00 - Yr 11 & 12

Perth - $5000.00 Yr1 - Yr7

$5800.00 Yr8 - Yr8 - 12

Apparently school fees have to be paid in advane as we are going out in Jul we have to pay 6mths upfront Jul - Dec but in Nov 09 we will be billed for the whoe of the next school year.

Debzsx

Guest Laura G

Hi,

just to clarify school fees.

457 Visa - State School fees are free in QLD,WA & SA. School fees are payable in NSW, ACT & TAS

Student Visa's - 572 & 573 - Dependants age 5 and over of someone who is studying must be enroled into Education as part of your Visa requirements.

School fees are payable in all States. As a dependant your child will receive a discount and you do not pay Full International Student Rates. International Student Rates are for children who are international students who are studying under their own visa (Sub class 571).

Fees for Dependant Students are currently

QLD - $8,000.00- rising to $8,800.00 yor Yr11 & Yr12

VIC - $6,000.00 starting rising to $8,900.00 dependant on age.

WA - $5,000.00 starting rising to $5,800.00 dependant on age

TAS - $5,500.00

SA - $3,600.00 starting rising to $$5,000.00 dependant on age

NSW - Can't remember, but i think it's more than QLD

Private Schools will charge more for dependants of Students and do not usually offer a discounted education, I do know of private schools who offer Education at $4,500.00 to australian residents but offer the same education to dependants on student visa's at $10K plus. Please be careful when researching on the web as the price of the education on a private school website may not be the price you have to pay.

Laura

• 4 weeks later...
Guest colin&miche

Hi

i wonder if anybody out there can help me in my quest, we are going hopefully july/aug to NSW and we will be going on a 457 visa, now the question i need to ask as i seem to have had conflicting answers to this question is ,if i send my children to a catholic school do i pay the school fees the govt set for 457 visa e.g $4,500 or do i pay the school fees that the school specifies, e.g $1100 now i was looking at winston hills district now i am trying to find out who i can E-mail to find out for sure as it is a very important as we need to sort out finances for our 4 which are aged

10yrs

7yrs

4yrs but 5 nxt mth(twin)

4 yrs but 5 nxt mth(twin)

if we have to pay the govt fees this will cost us about $18000 per yr

if we pay the catholic fees this will cost us about $3/4k per yr

so as you can see this is why we need to know as the difference is nearly $13-14k

please can anyone confirm for def what we will have to pay.

by the way hubby is Roman Catholic and so are the G/parents

kind regards

michell

Guest colin&miche
why do you have to pay for school fees? is this just on the 457 visa?

on a 457 visa you have to pay school fees in NSW i dont know exactly about other states, but yes def on a 457 in NSW it is $4500 per child per yr

kind regards

michell

• 2 months later...
Guest Colette Scotland

This is probably too late for you guys but in QLD 457 holders do not pay for state school fees only private like everyone else. You will pay for books and trips etc in state but it is minimal. Ormiston averages about 8500 per year (depends on grade of child and co- curricular activities). QLD seems to be the only state that does not charge 457 holders. Hope this helps!!!

We are moving to Sydney from Brisbane (Wellington Point) and are now having to pay...I cannot believe it as I have 3 kids.

Ormiston State is a good little school. Ormiston College has it's good and bad points.

Guest potterpig40

Hi Steve

We recently moved to Canberra on a 457 sponsored visa with my husband's UK based company. We have 3 children aged 14, 10 and 7 and my husband's sponsor pay for their schooling, as unfortunately his occupation doesn't fool into the occupations in demand list, however my advise to anybody who's company is applying for a 457 visa is to hire a immigration consultant as my husbands occupation could have been classifield differently and he could have fallen into one of the occupations in demand!

As we are with the ACT, it does obviously vary from state to state but I will tell you what we have experience and to the best of our knowledge please excuse me if I waffle. :chatterbox: Within the ACT the school fees for government schools are $9,000 per primary school place and $12,000 per year per secondary school place 11-16 years! Both my sons attend the local primary school but my daughter attends a Canberra Girls Grammar school as an international student the fees are $20,000 a year! If we had PR or citizenship it would cost $15,000 a year, however there are cheaper private schools and the catholic school we are hoping to move our son to for year 7 is around £3,500 a year (they don't offer a separate fee tariff for international students). Considerably cheaper than the government (state) school he is attending at the moment but according to the international education unit here in Canberra those fees would be in addition to the $9,000 rising to $12,000 in year 7. Therefore for a secondary school place it would still cost over $15000 a year! (I think there is a little confusion here with so called private schools compared the UK - the majority of "private schools" in Australia are church affiliated and are still government funded - this came about from the John Howard days - therefore compared to the UK private schools I classify them subsidised schools - hence that is why they are considerably cheaper than the private school system within the UK.) It is actually the company sponsoring you that is responsible for the additional school fees. The occupations in demand list varies from state to state and within some states even if your occupations falls with this category you may still be expected to pay a percentage of the schools fees. On a more positive note we have heard there are some huge tax breaks involved if you are on a 457 visa. Hope this helps. Good luck. Jo Smith

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bella

Moving to Melbourne on a 457 Visa (fingers crossed) not going to be able to take much advantage of tax breaks through LAHFA, as my basic salary is just below $50,000 plus super on top, but this is going off on a tangent,

The question I'm asking is are there any tax breaks for 457 visa holders in regard of any school fees levied on temporary visa holders for their dependent children, I'm fortunate enough to only have one child of school age currently entering year 10 in September.

Guest Bella

Looks like you are right anxiousmum, just had an email from the victoria education department saying 457 visa holders are treated exactly as permanent residents and Australian citizens with no fees levied above those the school asks for

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Laura G

School fees are fee on a 457 visa in

Queensland

Victoria

Western Australia

South Australia

School fees are payable in

Canberra (ACT)

New South Wales

Tasmania

When I say free I mean the main schooling, you will have to pay local registration and buy their books

Laura

• 1 month later...
Guest lisa and brent

Hi

Sorry to resurrect this thread again but.....

We are looking to go to Darwin on a 457 and all the lists I have seen here that show where school fees are and aren't payable never seem to list Northern Territories.

I have checked out the NT education website but cannot find a thing not even an email addy to enquire to.

Has anyone got any information as to whether school fees are payable or not in Darwin?

Many thanks

Lisa

• 2 years later...
Guest shinezzz
My kids were educated in Queensland schools for free on a 457. When my daughter went to uni though we had to pay about $20k pa international fees. So we pulled our fingers out and got Perm. Residence.

So as a 457 dependent, you will have to pay international fee for tertiary study (college)?

In NSW, applicants with a 457 visa in my company negotiated school fees subsidies as part of their job package. The company pays a portion of this (in affect - salary sacrifice). Perhaps this should be something you look into after the first year working.

Im looking for a website link to say 457 visa holders have to pay $4,500 per annum in school fees. I've trawled the web but can't seem to find one...can someone point me in the right direction?

PS - sorry to hijack your post.

Dan

Im looking for a website link to say 457 visa holders have to pay $4,500 per annum in school fees. I've trawled the web but can't seem to find one...can someone point me in the right direction?

PS - sorry to hijack your post.

Dan

Hi Dan

It depends on which state you are going to. The $4500 levy for schooling is only implemented in NSW and the ACT.

Here is a link for the NSW info - click on the fees bit. http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/schools/study_options/temporary_residents/temporary_residents.htm

Love

Rudi

x

Hi Dan

It depends on which state you are going to. The $4500 levy for schooling is only implemented in NSW and the ACT.

Here is a link for the NSW info - click on the fees bit. http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/schools/study_options/temporary_residents/temporary_residents.htm

Love

Rudi

x

You can also check which visa has which type of fee attched to it on...

http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/schools/downloads/trp_schedvisas.pdf

Archived